From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1354
Date: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:41 AM

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: "netym89 <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>" <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>

From: "Stragand, Dave" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>

From: "Jerry" <jlharry_at_dml_mcloudteleco.com>

From: "treehouse2000us <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "cpgny9 <cpgny9_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <cpgny9_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Idle speed
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:20:38 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Any Clue?? HELP!

David, Not a good thing to let the alternator try to charge the battery.
Takes to long and puts to much of a strain on the alternator. Get a $40.00,
10amp battery charger and put it on the battery over night. If it has an
automatic cut off and you look at in the morning and it's down to 1 or 2 amps
trickle, then most likely the battery is good. If not then the battery should
be replaced.
If you have any test equipment you can measure the voltage drop when trying
to start the car and see if the starter is dragging.
If you get to this point and all is good. Then there are several thing that
need to be looked into.
You would need to call or email me off line and we can walk thru them.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com
PS You have to have a good electrical system to start.

<< Here is where I am in getting my D. back on the road.  Any comments or
 suggestions are most welcome!

 1) D. sits for 1 year ( Not uncommon.)

2)Take D into shop to get waterpump installed, fluids, belts and window
 motor and drop $1000.( This part has nothing to do with it starting.)

 3) Go to start D. and it won't turn over. Mechanic gives it a shot of ether
 and it starts.  I have never had to give the D a shot of ether to get her
 going.( Bad battery or starter or early vin and jumper not installed.)

 4) Drive D around town to charge battery and return to the house.( not good.)

 5) After having been in the house for 10-15 minutes go back out to the D. to
 start her up planning to return to Fairfax, Va from my family home in Front
 Royal and the D. won't start.  I try the ether -- also a no go.( Either
won't help if the engine won't turn over from a bad battery or starter.) Does
the engine turn over ?????. If so then you have a fuel deliver problem or a
small firing problem.

John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com
DeLorean parts store.

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:30:28 -0000
From: "netym89 <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>" <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>
Subject: Re: Any Clue?? / Check injectors!

Something else to look for will sound right now as pretty obvious but
it can happen to anybody. I had trouble starting my car after it
cranked over once. The car made a little back-fire noise. Now what?
Decided to pull the manual out for emergency checks. After checking
the cold start connection and reversing it temporarily with the grey
plug,got the car started really rough but it died a few seconds
later. Had it towed home and parked it in the garage. Then one night
I look at the engine and discovered that one of the fuel injectors
popped out of it place. Gee!! Nah, can't be!! I reseated the injector
and ,yes, it started up great!! Hint to all: Replace the metal clips
on the injectors. This will save you a headache down the road,
literally speaking. They are available from Volvo dealers.
Bye
10250

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_w...>"

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:24:05 -0500
From: "Stragand, Dave" <dave.stragand_at_dml_ketchum.com>
Subject: Talbot Tagora

For those who keep track of this kind of thing... I found another PRV6
variant in a car called the Talbot Tagora.  I have no further
information about it, save for that it was carburated. You can see pics
of the engine at:

http://club604.free.fr/tagora/tagora.html
http://www.bilhistorie.no/e70/bs301.htm
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/talbot.fr.st/talbottagora.html
http://tagorav6.9online.fr/

-Dave

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:04:11 -0600
From: "Jerry" <jlharry_at_dml_mcloudteleco.com>
Subject: Idle speed

Hello List
Have a problem, need advise.
My car starts on first try , runs for a few seconds and goes to low idle before it is warm enough to run, it tries to idle at 750 rpm but dies.  I can restart it afew times, when it is warm enough it will keep running.
What tells it to stay at high idle until it is warm enough to run?

Thanks for any help.
Jerry
Vin# 4890

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:53:50 -0000
From: "treehouse2000us <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Go Getting My DMC

Hey Guys,

The time has come for me to collect the prize of a Lifetime, a
DeLorean.  I have been waiting 10 years for this very moment, and its
been torture being without the very thing I loved for all this time.

But I need some help.  I need people who have recently purchased a
DeLorean within say the last year to give me tips of where I could
get a loan for 8-10 grand.  My local banks either laughed at me when
I told them I needed 15 grand for a car from the early 80's, not to
mention the make and model, or gave me incredible intrest rates
(16.9%) which would almost double the cost of the car.

I'm 19 years old, steady income and have saved $8300 towards this
purchase.  I plan on spending about 14 grand this summer, then
another 2-3 at Grady's place on making sure everything is ship
shape.  I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks to all who reply, probley best off list unless its general
information that all people who are trying to finace Deloreans needs
to know.

Tom Porter
  Vin: Summer 2003
  treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:22:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Idle speed

Assuming all of the systems are set up correctly and the idle motor
has full control (the 3 brass screws are closed and no vacuum leaks
idle ECU is working, idle micro is closed) there is a thermistor on
the water distribution pipe under the intake manifold. As it warms up
it tells the idle ECU to lower the idle speed. Another thing to check
is the control pressure regulater aka warm-up regulater. It is on the
left valve cover. Make sure the vent hose isn't kinked, it's the short
"U" shaped hose. Make sure the wiring plug is on securely. I would
check it out first as it has more to do with the idle quality
immediatly after you start the engine. Could also be a fuel delivery
problem like a dirty fuel filter, kinked pick-up hose in the fuel
tank, worn out fuel pump etc. When the engine first starts cold it is
not running on "regulated" or control pressure so the pressure from
the fuel pump is important.

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:51:32 -0000
From: "cpgny9 <cpgny9_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <cpgny9_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Go Getting My DMC

I purchased my Delorean in March of 2002.  Getting the loan was the
hardest part.  Finding the car, getting insurance...not very
difficult.  I am 27 and have had several car loans before, but no one
wants to finance a 1983 car. Banks dont even know what a delorean is.
And that Peoplefirst.com is horrible.  I ended up getting some help
from my parents.  They were getting a home equity loan to redo their
home, so they let me tag on what I needed (at a great rate) and I was
able to get the money that way.  I am actually in the process of
putting my D up for sale.  I love the car and drive it when I can,
but I am buying a new house and cant have a house and two cars.  Plus
I am in a new job where I am constantly traveling and dont have the
time to drive the car like I want to.  I am located in Northern NJ.
all parts that I have replaced on the car have come from Grady or DMC
Houston.  I am asking 17K for the car.  1-2K at PJ Gradys and the car
will be in tip top shape.  Approx 48K miles. If you (or anyone else)
is interested, please e-mail me at cpgny9_at_dml_yahoo.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "treehouse2000us

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:29:43 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/22/03 2:24:53 PM Central Standard Time,
treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I'm 19 years old, steady income and have saved $8300 towards this
> purchase.  I plan on spending about 14 grand this summer, then
> another 2-3 at Grady's place on making sure everything is ship
> shape.  I want to do this right the first time.

Tom,

you are in a better position that most.  i was 18 with only $1000 saved up
when i bought my car.  i had a hard time finding a loan until i started going
to some credit unions.  they are more flexible than a state bank, i have
found.  i pay about 9.25% (i think, something like that, maybe a little
less). and i took a loan out for about $15,500.  try every single credit
union in your area - you will probably have to close your current accounts
and switch over to a different bank in order for them to help you out.  make
sure you have LOTS of documentation about the exact car when you go in - know
every detail, good and bad.  have pictures.  this will help sway them that
you are serious.

the single biggest thing i can tell you is this - when you walk in there,
walk in with confidence, have your shxt together, dress professionally, and
talk with the loan officer in a courteous way - be polite!  if you walk in
with jeans and tshirt and look nervous, would you give yourself money?
probably not.  BE CONFIDENT and you will get what you want!  remember - you
are in a better position than most young people because you have a
significant downpayment available.

good luck!
Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:26:51 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Jerry, The idle speed thermistor in the internal water pipe. 750 is a little
low also.
John Hervey
www.special T auto.com