From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1355
Date: Friday, January 24, 2003 2:33 AM

From: Justin <voodoonova_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "jevans742003 <nucleus_at_dml_houston.rr.com>" <nucleus_at_dml_houston.rr.com>

From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

From: "spaceace3113 <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Idle speed
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

9. Re: Fixing dents in SS
From: "Marcel Bourgon" <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>

10. Re: Fixing dents in SS
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: Blower motor: SPARKS!!!
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Period race wheels and turbo manifolds for sale
From: "C. C. Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>

13. Re: Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: John Gedeon <johne_g_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: Swoyerzone_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>

16. Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

17. Unhappy DeLorean Resto Experiences...
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

18. Wheeeeeee!
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

19. RE: Go Getting My DMC
From: "Jake Vercelli" <jakev_at_dml_m-c-s.com>

20. Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: "dmc_dream <dmhmail_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <dmhmail_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. RE: Go Getting My DMC
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. Re: Period race wheels and turbo manifolds for sale
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Fixing dents in SS
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

24. RE: Wheeeeeee!
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:46:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Justin <voodoonova_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: D IN EVERETT, WA........

Hey there,

just wanted to say who ever's D was parked in the McDonalds on the morning of the 22nd on evergreen way was a nice lookin car. Its actually the first time i seen one out on a very rainy day like it was.

--justin (Voodoo Child)  :)

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:56:18 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Idle speed

Jerry

Does the engine starve out for fuel when cold or is it an idle-up
problem until the engine warms? Careful listening can give you a
good idea of which it is. If it is starving for fuel it is most
likely the control pressure regulator not functioning correctly. If
it sounds like engine speed you should check the idle motor for
proper operation. I have seen them freeze in one position or, the
micro switch is not really working but the idle motor is stopped in
a position where the engine idles ok when warm. The idle motors
don't fail that often but they do fail. If the motor does not seem
to be working and and all else appears ok, check to see if the diode
wire in the compartment behind the driver seat is connected. That
wire runs directly from the micro switch on its way to the idle
speed ECU and I have seen that come loose and stop the idle motor
from working. In any event, you are in for some diagnostic fun. Read
section D, especially section D:05, in the workshop manual.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jerry" <jlharry_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> Hello List
> Have a problem, need advise.
> My car starts on first try , runs for a few seconds and goes to
low idle before it is warm enough to run, it tries to idle at 750
rpm but dies.  I can restart it afew times, when it is warm enough
it will keep running.

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 04:02:17 -0000
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Blower motor: SPARKS!!!

Well after getting my heater to work I started running the blower a
lot. I discovered that I can see small sparks on the underside of the
blower. Also, the blower speeds up when I tug on the power wires, and
the sparks get brighter...

Adam

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 04:03:52 -0000
From: "jevans742003 <nucleus_at_dml_houston.rr.com>" <nucleus_at_dml_houston.rr.com>
Subject: Fixing dents in SS

Will the DingKing contraption you see on tv work on pulling dents out
of our stainless steel panels?  Any other ideas?

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 04:09:05 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Because our little cars don't have a choke plate to limit air intake
when cold, they do the next best thing by enriching fuel mixture.
That's the purpose of warm up regulator, aka the control pressure
regulator (sorry David, couldn't resist). Is located on driver's valve
cover. Is a surprisingly complicated piece of hardware (don't worry --
complications inside) that exerts counter pressure on the piston
inside fuel distributor. When cold, less counter pressure = more fuel
from sensor plate movement. Counter pressure increases as engine warms
up, limiting movement of piston. Take a look at pages D:01:08-12 of
the tech manual.

Is your warm up problem a recent development or time honored? If long
term, you might also want to check pressure output from warm up
regulator. Is the line into top of fuel distributor.

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:03:23 EST
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Go Getting My DMC

I purchased my DeLorean in 1998.  Less then one month after my 18th birthday.
 I only paid $5000 days for my car, and I had $2500 of it in savings.  I was
able to get a personal loan from my bank for the other $2500.  I had a
checking and savings account with the bank since I was 16, and my father is
friends with the president of the bank, so Im sure that helped.

But to my credit I will say that I went into the bank looking professional,
(suit and tie)  I also forget to tell the bank that the car didn't run, and
was going to need thousands of dollars in repairs....woops : ).

In any case I paid off the loan early.  So it was a win-win situation, not
only did I have a DeLorean, I also established a good credit rating at an
early age.

Good luck with your bank,
Andrew

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:22:40 -0000
From: "spaceace3113 <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

maybe you dont want to hear this but.... dont buy a delorean,
yet...keep saving and when you have an abundance of $$$ you'd be
more apt to buy a car that will actually be worth the money you paid
for it. ive been looking for a few years now and i went from looking
at 10 thousand dollar cars to 25 thousand dollar cars, not to
mention you'll learn alot about the cars in general throughout the
course of time. i wish you luck in whatever you choose but you
wouldnt want a dream turning into a nightmare just because you want
the car.

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:45:55 +0100 (MET)
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

Check out that the idle speed motor isn't stuck closed.
My one wasn't moving at all as the bearings were seized.

There is a small screw on top of it where (when turned off)you can see at
least a little bit if the
motor can turn or not. I think you should also be able to hear that motor
buzzing
when working correctly.

I would check this first, and also the idle speed switch. Don't rely on the
clicking sound of that switch - measure if it works !

Elvis

 << Hello List

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:04:54 -0700
From: "Marcel Bourgon" <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Fixing dents in SS

Stainless steel is just like your kitchen sink.  Imagine a dent in it.  This
dink King probably work on auto bodies as the metal is very thin.  Stainless
just by its nature is very strong and does not lend itself to that kind of
repair.  Give the boys a call at Delorean Motor Cars in Houston.
Marcel working on 81

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:23:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

While it MAY work on a modern car with thin cold rolled steel panels
it DOES NOT WORK on the Delorean with S/S panels that are much thicker
than the panels on newer cars. S/S has a much higher tensile strength
meaning it takes a lot more energy to bend it. Also once the metal is
stretched even if you do manage to "pop out" the dent you will have a
bubble as the stretched metal has to go somewhere. What needs to be
done in this case is to "shrink" the metal which is something the
DingKing cannot do. In general I do not trust the things advertised on
TV. Instead of the DingKing you can do just as well with a suction cup
or if you can get behind just push it out if it is just a bumped in
dent and is not stretched. Save your money on this one! It is very
tempting to think you can buy something like this and do your own body
work. I saw first-hand the uselessness of this device on another
member's car.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "jevans742003 <nucleus_at_dml_h...>"

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:12:40 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Blower motor: SPARKS!!!

If the sparks you see are inside the motor that is normal, it is the
brushes running against the commutater. If the sparks are comming out
of the motor that is not normal.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_h...>" <acprice1_at_dml_h...>

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:21:26 -0500
From: "C. C. Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>
Subject: Period race wheels and turbo manifolds for sale

I just thought I'd let all of you know that I now have lightweight 2 piece wheels for the Delorean for sale and also Turbo manifolds. Go check them out at http://putschdesign.tripod.com

Casey

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:50:56 -0800 (PST)
From: John Gedeon <johne_g_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Go Getting My DMC

I agree. I have recently started looking for a D but
see that it is not in my buget so I have to wait (the
sunstar model will have to do too bad I can't drive it
lol) any way. It may be worth waiting, it's definatly
worth taking your time (if you havn't aready).

the dmcnews.com site has tons of info for buyers that
you should look at and one on how not to buy a "cheap"
car...

http://www.dmcnews.com/techmain.htm

I suggest taking a look before buying if you havent,
its what helped convince me that I need to wait.

John

--- "spaceace3113 <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>"
<spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
> maybe you dont want to hear this but.... dont buy a
> delorean,
> yet...keep saving and when you have an abundance of
> $$$ you'd be
> more apt to buy a car that will actually be worth
> the money you paid
> for it. ive been looking for a few years now and i
> went from looking
> at 10 thousand dollar cars to 25 thousand dollar
> cars, not to
> mention you'll learn alot about the cars in general
> throughout the
> course of time. i wish you luck in whatever you
> choose but you
> wouldnt want a dream turning into a nightmare just
> because you want
> the car.

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

=====
<>< Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;"

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:54:36 EST
From: Swoyerzone_at_dml_aol.com

I want to add my input, I just turned 19, I bought my car when I was 17, I
went threw the hell of waiting, I first found a car about 3 miles from my
home, I live in a small town, and to see a DeLorean in your town, and it
being for sale, I jumped at the chance after about 3 failed attempts out of
state. I was able to get my aunt and uncle to front me some money, about
5,000, and I had saved a little over 3,000 from working. I then was able to
get a personal loan from the credit union for 8,000, and some change for the
taxes and tags. I love my car (don't get me wrong), it ran great for a whole
two days. When I first saw it looked great very little cosmetic work, just a
little stitch on the seat, and some very minor sun damage, but over all it
sounded great and looked great. then little sounds and leaks started, first
the back brakes went, I was already aware the car needed a little work to
bring her up to full restoration. Well, I got the car in August for 16k, and
as soon as my birthday hit in January I was already in about 1,500 in
repairs. This was just the beginning of 2002, after I got it back we had a
death in the family so the enjoyment of driving the car was out for a few
days, as soon as I began to drive, black smoke began to come out the back.
Then It had its 5th trip on the tow truck, when you car gets attention, and
do they, you never want to have it go in the middle of traffic, and hold
everyone up!
Then the end of April add another a few hundred dollars more, and the total
is know a running 2,300. The car dies, mainly cause is the fuel injection,
add more repairs, labor, parts. Well, I haven't be able to drive my car since
the end of April, except one day in June in which the fan motors for the
front of the car died. And since then the car has died twice more, and the
new mechanics have found some overheating damage. No hear comes the really
kick you when your down part. (Keep in mind I will never, even with the loss
of money, which I am paying myself, and the loss of time, will never get rid
of this car, once its fixed I hoping it will run great.) I was playing with
the idea to sell it while I was in an extremely angry mood, I visited a
dealership and asked them if they would be interested in a DeLorean, they say
we already have one. I look at it, this car made my DeLorean look like an
80's junker, of course my car wasn't clean and was taken somewhat apart. And
I found it came from DeLorean Houston, TX, and if I waited just a few months
longer like just 8 months I could have add on of TX restored cars, with all
updates, top of the line, for sale price, and existing warranty, form the
dealership!

Make sure if you go get a DMC-12 for 14k its a lot better then my car, one
day I will drive it again, but for now I have to pay its now new amount for
4,000, a since the new mechanic knows these cars, and saw the last year or so
with the car I have had has cut me a big break in paying and he also has some
old parts when he used to sell them.

One brake isn't bad,
Darryl
5898

This is not to discourage, but make sure you get a good deal, and it doesn't
really hurt to wait. (I own a DeLorean but I can't drive it, imagin owning
the car but can never see it, so if you have to wait, then just wait.) So I
told the mechanic to keep it, until its done or I run out of money.

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:08:15 -0500
From: "L. Sandel" <ls_at_dml_chickencow.csv.cmich.edu>

My advice to first-time, younger DMC buyers: Patience.

Yeah, I know, who could be patient at that age, especially if you're staring
a prospective DMC right in the face, and have the actual cash to buy it.  I
bought my DMC when I was 20, and I certainly didn't have any patience.  I
got a car that wasn't too bad, but needed a bit of prevetative maintenance
($2000).  It had 8,888 miles (no joke).

Had I waited 2 months, I would have been able to buy a different car that
had better maintenance performed, 26,000 miles, a full set of service
manuals, a full set of DeLorean World magazines, and twin turbos... for $500
less.

So the moral is...ummm... enjoy life, but don't buy the first car you see.

Do I regret my purchase?  No.  Do I regret waiting?  Well.. yeah... sorta.

-Luke

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:05:48 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

I think the moral here is that any car no longer under warranty is going to have a
certain cost associated with regular upkeep, in addition to usual maintenance (oil,
tires, etc.).  Particularly a car that is 20 years old.

That cost consists of parts, then labor which is the really tricky part.  My DMC is
worked on solely by one of the DeLorean vendors, but mechanics not familiar with this
car will spend more time (and more of your money) doing the same job, and won't do it as
well; they frequently will perform unneeded repairs and/or make the problem(s) worse.

If you read this list, have a smattering of tools, and are brave, you can do 90% of such
work yourself.  In my case, my available free cash exceeds my available free time, so
the car goes off to Houston.  But in my younger days the situation was quite reversed
and I did a great deal of auto repair myself (although it was on a Datsun).

So I hate to discourage the new drivers from getting a DeLorean, but any car this old is
going to be on the "high maintenance" side.  If you budget your wallet for the parts,
your calendar for the time, and have a bus pass, you can keep a DeLorean on the road for
many years without breaking the bank.  If you expect to be able to drive it all the time
as long as you have gas money, it will end up as someone else's project car after it
sits in your driveway for 5 years.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:44:11 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Unhappy DeLorean Resto Experiences...

Is there no happiness in the "Going to Get a DMC" thread?

DeLoreans seem to be victims of their own mystique. Can't tell you
number of times people have looked at me with astonishment when my
*DELROEAN* is out of service. How could that be? Any other car sure,
but the *DELOREAN*?

Buying a used DeLorean is not fundamentally different than buying any
other 22 year old car. That means: getting it back into service is
going to take a lot of time, sweat, tears, and sometimes even a little
money. But as I've said before, that investment serves 2 very
important purposes.

1) You will bond with the car and become its last resale
2) You will become intimately familiar with the vehicle. That
knowledge is invaluable when problems arise, allowing you to quickly
diagnose and solve. Also, even though our little cars are not rocket
science, they do have their quirks. The more familiar you are, the
less of an obstacle is that quirkiness.

If it helps, remember: we're all driving around in what are
essentially glorified prototypes. Kind of makes you appreciate all the
things that DON'T break (take heart -- there ARE more of those).

As you retore your vehicle, use to full advantage tools available:
-Parts suppliers that deal with your product exclusively (Autozone is
wonderful, but believe it or not they sometimes don't have what you're
looking for)
-A knowledge base of people (just like you!) who eagerly share info
for the sole purpose of getting your car on the road
-A fairly conventional design (even if some of its pieces are in the
wrong places) with no real production variations to complicate those
first two advantages

There is light at the end of the tunnel (use binoculars if necessary).

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:07:01 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Wheeeeeee!

I did a bad thing yesterday.

I spent a long time in the DMC in rush-hour traffic sitting behind someone trying to
make a left turn, directly under the "No Left Turns" sign.  I let my foul mood impair my
judgement and chose to enter fast-moving traffic into a very small gap.

"Hey, Steven Wynn got me 200HP, I can fit in there" I told myself.  I floored the gas
and sidestepped the clutch, turning right.  As I did this, the back tires spun and
I found myself going down the road somewhat sideways, and not accelerating as well I
should have been.

"Gee," I said to no one in particular, "it's never done THAT before."  I was somewhat
pleased until I considered the traffic coming up beind me and the ditch looming in front
of me.

So I countersteered slightly, did a brief throttle lift then right back on the gas hard,
and WHOOSH, it straightened right out and shot off like a rocket!  Not bad for a car two
decades old, eh?

Of course, all this took place in the span of 2 seconds.

I love this car.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:22:50 -0600
From: "Jake Vercelli" <jakev_at_dml_m-c-s.com>

The grass is always greener on the other side.  It never fails!

Jake

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:24:23 -0000
From: "dmc_dream <dmhmail_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <dmhmail_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!

OK!  I've joined the list.  Now all I need is a DeLorean :-)

I have loved this car ever since I first saw it.  I even got to ride in one, which
just sealed it for me.

It's a dream of mine to actually own a DeLorean, but my passion and practical
side are feuding over the decision.  So, maybe you guys can help me out.  My
practical side wants to know:

1) What's a reasonable price for a DeLorean in "good" condition?  I'm not
looking for a showroom model, I'd like a reliable daily driver.

2) Does it require more maintenance than any other '81-'83 model car?

3) Does the value of the car depreciate or appreciate, given it's 'classic' status
now?

4) Is financing easily available for such a unique vehicle?

My passion side wants to know:

1) How fast can it go?

2) Does owning a DeLorean make everything else in life hum-drum?

3) Do dreams really come true?

Thanks!

Mathew H.
--
Cool stuff for the DeLorean enthusiast:
http://www.cafeshops.com/delorean_shop

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:02:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

I have to agree with Jake on this one... I looked for 2 years to find my "right" DeLorean... and even since then there have been a couple of cars that came along that I've kicked myself over for not waiting and continuing to look. All things totalled now I wouldn't have done anything different... I love *MY* DeLorean... it's like my child :-). I can't offer any advice on the loan situation... I was 19 when I bought my D a year ago... my parents loaned me the little bit of money I needed to buy mine. And as Bill said... this should be a happy experience! Yes... be warned DeLorean ownership isn't a bed of roses 100% of the time... but it's the trials and tribulations of ownership that keeps it interesting... and makes you "bond" with you car. Anyways... good luck on whatever path you chose to take.

Louie Golden
#10115 Sanford, NC

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:19:08 EST
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

> I just thought I'd let all of you know that I now have lightweight 2 piece
> wheels for the Delorean for sale and also Turbo manifolds. Go check them
> out at http://putschdesign.tripod.com
>
> Casey

   Casey,

    Just wanted to let you know the exhaust manifolds you've got shown on
your web site are not Delorean Turbo Charger manifolds. All the Delorean
Turbo Charger exhaust manifolds made have a flat rectangular outlet with a 4
bolt pattern to mate to the turbo charger. The manifolds you have are
original stock exhaust manifolds from the Eagle Premier with a 2 bolt "ball"
end outlet. These are kinda neat and are pretty darn close to being a cast
header type design, and they will bolt up to the Delorean heads also. The
problem I've run into with trying to use these manifolds on a Delorean is,
when installed, the outlets end up pointing the wrong way and interfere with
other engine parts/accessories to be able to try and hook up any sort of
exhaust system. I guess you could try and cut/modify the manifold outlet in
some way.

    Marty

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:14:34 -0500
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

I actually purchased one of the DingKings but have not used it yet. I
thought it was worth a shot. I will report to the group after I try it on a
couple of hail dents.
As long as the dent is not near a seam or creased I think it has a
reasonable chance of success. It works on the same principle as the
paintless dent repair people that the metal really wants to return to it's
original shape.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:57:38 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: Wheeeeeee!

Warning
Do not try this at home.
The maneuver performed was accomplished by the grace of God.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA