From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1356
Date: Friday, January 24, 2003 2:59 PM

From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "treehouse2000us <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "captain_hydrogen <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

9. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: "captain_hydrogen <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

10. New Poll
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

11. Screen (# 105721) For Sale
From: "arcadebadass <arcadebadass_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <arcadebadass_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Limited Slip Differential
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Tiny light bulb for Headlight/hazard/cigarette lighter
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>

14. Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

15. DeLorean in a Blender
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Wheeeeeee!
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

17. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

18. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

19. RE: Wheeeeeee!
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

20. Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: "treehouse2000us <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: "treehouse2000us <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. RE: Limited Slip Differential
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

23. Pigeon Forge rumor
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: "MR. KHALID" <hasankhalid02_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:12:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Go Getting My DMC

For anyone who has to stretch their finances just to aquire a Delorean
is a VERY bad start. The car WILL need work (some a lot more than
others and not all cosmetic) and you will get very upset paying that
monthly payment on a car that not only doesn't run but you can't
afford to fix it! A used car willl need fuel system work, brake work,
tires, etc, etc, etc. I don't care how much you pay or how well it was
taken care of you MUST set aside some money for maintenance. Depending
on how much work you can do yourself figure at least $1,000 per year.
Don't forget insurance and registration. The more you use it the more
you need to put aside, tires and brakes and clutches don't last
forever and the ones on your used car already have some of their life
used up. The other main point to make is that to try to do these
repairs a little at a time is to invite unreliability until you get
everything right. After getting stranded by your car and losing
confidence in getting you home whenever you take it out you pretty
soon stop driving it, especialy with the Mrs. (or whoever). Most of
the cars I have seen need brake work immediatly, fuel system work,
tune-up, cooling system, wiring repairs, A/C, struts, etc. Before
buying a Delorean (or any old car) get someone who can look at it and
give you an honest opinion. A young prespective buyer isn't seeing
what he should, just what he wants to. After getting the car spend the
money all at once and fix everything RIGHT so you can have some
confidence in the car. Doing it in dribs and drabs will take a lot
longer and cost more (include the towing). Deloreans are a little
deceptive in that it doesn't have a paint job to go bad, they don't
show their age as much as most other cars.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Louie G <louie_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> I have to agree with Jake on this one... I looked for 2 years to
find my "right" DeLorean... and even since then there have been a
couple of cars that came along that I've kicked myself over for not
waiting and continuing to look. All things totalled now I wouldn't
have done anything different... I love *MY* DeLorean... it's like my
child :-). I can't offer any advice on the loan situation... I was 19
when I bought my D a year ago... my parents loaned me the little bit
of money I needed to buy mine. And as Bill said... this should be a
happy experience! Yes... be warned DeLorean ownership isn't a bed of
roses 100% of the time... but it's the trials and tribulations of
ownership that keeps it interesting... and makes you "bond" with you
car. Anyways... good luck on whatever path you chose to take.

> Louie Golden
> #10115 Sanford, NC
>
> --- "Jake Vercelli" <jakev_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> >The grass is always greener on the other side.  It never fails!

> It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To
order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at

Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:23:39 -0000
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Blower motor: SPARKS!!!

Thanks! It appears to be normal then.

Adam

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_w...>"

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 02:55:46 EST
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!

There are many different answers to those questions depending on who you ask,
but let me give it a shot.

1 The price range for a Delorean in recent times has ranged from $4000 for a
complete basketcase to upwards of $30,000 for a showroom condition.  As one
would expect the average (if a DeLorean can ever be called average) condition
falls in the middle of that range $13K-$20K.

2  The DeLorean is a unique car, but I would say that it requires the same
amount of maintenance as most early 80's Europen cars (although maybe not as
much as a Jaguar or a Lotus.)

3  The pricing has remained the same for a number of years, and will most
likley stay that way, at least for the near future.

4  Financing can prove to be difficult.  The combination of the age and the
uniquness of the car can cause some reluctance amoung lenders.

As far as the Second list goes

1  The DeLorean is a peppy car, but it is not nearly as fast as it looks.
There are many ways to overcome this including performance engine upgrades
and turbo systems.

2  Having a DeLorean makes everything else on the road seem hum-drum : ),  In
fact I've noticed that people are always looking the DeLorean (maybe they
should be looking at the road! haha)  Sure the DeLorean isn't the most
important thing in life, but its darn close.  I once had a girlfriend who
gave me the typical line, "You care more about that car then you do about
me."  Well to make a long story short, The DeLorean is still in my garage. On
the other hand, I have no clue where the Ex-girlfriend is. : )

3  Dreams come true!  Even after going on 5 years with my D, I still look at
it and can't beleave that I own one!   Sure there are good times and bad
times,  but for me at least the good outnumber the bad.  Would I do it all
over again?  IN A HEARTBEAT!

Living the Dream since 7/98,
Andrew

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:58:49 -0500
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Wheeeeeee!

Following on from this, you may be interested to learn that a limited slip
differential is still available from Renault that will fit the DeLorean.

Best Wishes

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:22:53 -0000
From: "treehouse2000us <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks you guys, you really know how to put a guy down!  As for
waiting, is 10 years not enough?  I could certainly see it if I
discovered the car 1 or 2 years ago, and had about 500 or 1000
downpayment, but I have saved every dime I possibly could since I was
8 years old.  Still, $8300 is pretty pitiful for all that time, cant
blame me, blame my parents allowances when I was younger!  Haha.

I will reconsider purchasing the DeLorean at a later date, but the
urge is really there to get something this year that I can drive, I
like the comment about driving the Sunstar model!  Thanks all of you
who have replied on the list, and to those who emailed me in person,
you will/already have a reply shortly, I'm backed up 2 days on the
list due to working more than I should.

Another question,

Should I get the DeLorean with as little debt as possible, use the
8000 I have and get a loan for about 6-8 k and go with monthly
payments with risk of repo (haha, I pray not)

Or get a full loan of about 15,500, keep the cash on hand for
emegency use incase I cant pay the payments for a month or two (say I
loose my job) or other reasons.

Thanks, and please live that elusive dream guys (and gals),

Tom Porter
  Vin: Summer 2003 ?
  treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> I think the moral here is that any car no longer under warranty is
going to have a
> certain cost associated with regular upkeep, in addition to usual
maintenance (oil,
> tires, etc.).  Particularly a car that is 20 years old.
>
> That cost consists of parts, then labor which is the really tricky
part.  My DMC is
> worked on solely by one of the DeLorean vendors, but mechanics not
familiar with this
> car will spend more time (and more of your money) doing the same
job, and won't do it as
> well; they frequently will perform unneeded repairs and/or make the
problem(s) worse.

> If you read this list, have a smattering of tools, and are brave,
you can do 90% of such
> work yourself.  In my case, my available free cash exceeds my
available free time, so
> the car goes off to Houston.  But in my younger days the situation
was quite reversed
> and I did a great deal of auto repair myself (although it was on a
Datsun).

> So I hate to discourage the new drivers from getting a DeLorean,
but any car this old is
> going to be on the "high maintenance" side.  If you budget your
wallet for the parts,
> your calendar for the time, and have a bus pass, you can keep a
DeLorean on the road for

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:18:45 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

I am curious to know what the Renault part number for the limited
slip differential is and what is the method of install?  I think that
a limited slip differential would be useful to incorporate into the
transaxle so as to prevent "sideways" driving and promote
controllability in adverse road conditions.

Thanks,
Ben Ferguson
Arizona DeLorean Club
American Hydrogen Association

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mgutkowski_at_dml_c..." <webmaster_at_dml_d...>

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:05:17 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: BTTF Dvd Trilogy

The link provided below is not "Easter Eggs"  Just some continuity
errors, and trivia.

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:48:51 -0500
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: Patience Grasshopper

  Let's not assume that our younger DMC enthusists are so naive that
they will not look around for the right car.  While I'm sure some will
jump at the first car they see, I think that any follower of this list
has taken some of the good advise and lessons from all of you.  Anyone
who reads this list and then goes out a blindly buys a car without
properly checking it out deserves what they get.

I think that most DML members would agree that you should try to buy a
car from someone who has been a customer of one of our vendors.  If the
vendor has seen the car at their shop on a regular basis they will know
if the car is worth buying.  All the vendors know of people looking to
sell their cars.

As I see it, there are several ways to go for the person who knows
nothing about a DeLorean:

1.  Buy a DMC Texas refurbished car - around $32,500 with extra options
available (upgraded engine, lighting, sound system etc....)
2.  Buy a D1 refurbished car -which are $50,000 now?
3.  Buy a car that a vendor knows is for sale and they can back up the
cars condition.
4.  Have a car that is a possibility taken to a DMC vendor for a 100% go
through before deciding.
5.  Buy a car from someone you don't know and hope they are not lying
(ebay, newspapers ad etc...)

This would make a good poll question.  I'll sent one up.  It would be
interesting to see how DML members came to owning their cars.

Tom
#4979 sold in 1992

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:55:03 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

Mathew,

I can answer some of your questions, but I do suggest you talk to
long term DML members concerning "maintenance 81-83".

Practical side answers:

1. Though you can buy a $7,000 DeLorean, expect to spend an
additional $7,000-$10,000 to get it in daily driver condition and
visually restored.  Reasonably, I think that if you plan to spend
somewhere in the mid-teens you can find something that is drivable
and pretty good visually, it will be something that you can enjoy
while replacing the worn items.  With this in mind, there are some
people who believe that it takes $20,000 to buy a DeLorean and make
it a daily driver.

2. Though almost mechanically identical, you might want to consult
the DeLorean Service Providers when it comes to year model
maintenance differences.

3. The depreciation or appreciation of the DeLorean greatly depends
of its care and feeding as well as public perception.  If you own a
DeLorean, then you are an ambassador for the car and the community.
If you are pleasant to admirers and keep the car in an attractive and
mechanically reliable condition, then the car becomes more desirable
to the general public.  If you are looking for an investment, you
should speak to a financial planner who will most likely advise you
to not put your money into "automobile futures".  The DeLorean is a
car you buy out of a love for the vehicle itself.  After all these
years the DeLorean is still the "car of the future" or at least the
car of "Back to the Future".  The DeLorean is a vehicle of passion,
attracting you with its appearance or the technology and vision,
which in many ways, is still ahead of cars coming off of assembly
lines today.

4. Many financial institutions consult the National Automobile
Dealers Association to determine the amount they are willing to lend
for a vehicle.  Going by the "average low" According to the N.A.D.A.
Appraisal Guides (www.nadaguides.com) my credit union is willing to
lend as much as $9,050 toward the purchase of a DeLorean.
1981-83 DeLorean DMC-12 GULLWING 2 Door Sports Coupe
MODELS PROFESSIONALLY RESTORED OR REFURBISHED BY DELOREAN MOTOR
COMPANY MAY BRING A CONSIDERABLE PREMIUM (UP TO 30%) OVER VALUES
LISTED.
MSRP Original Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price when new:
MY1981-$27,500 - MY1982-$29,825 - MY1983-$34,000
81-83 Low Retail $9,050 - Average Retail $16,600 - High Retail $26,700

Low Retail Value - This vehicle would be in mechanically functional
condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint,
trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor
reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor
amateur restoration. Mostly usable "as-is".  Note: This value does
not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value - This vehicle would be in good condition
overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained
original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and
mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-
footer".

High Retail Value - This vehicle would be in excellent condition
overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well
maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior
paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The
interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not
represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.

* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be
in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse
judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-
regulated facility.

Passion side answers:

1. The DeLorean is capable of going 125-130 MPH in stock form.  Keep
in mind that the Nation speed limit is 75 MPH (though I am certain
that many owners have driven to 88 MPH just to see what would
happen).  Now that Montana is no longer supporting unlimited speeding
and is implementing "Reasonable and Prudent" highway speeds, I
suggest that you get a radar detector in your DeLorean and "keep it
between the ditches".  The DeLorean will go as fast as is necessary
and will allow you to arrive in style.

2. That depends of if you have a "hum-drum" life.  If you read other
threads you will find that many owners seem to become minor
celebrities in their communities.  Owning and driving a DeLorean
won't make you a "supermodel" or "he-man", but you will get noticed,
probably more than you are now.  Your life will become more
interesting.

3. That depends on what you dream and if that dream is realistic.
The DeLorean is an attainable dream, put a picture if one on your
wall and look at it every day.  Keep reminding yourself of your
goal.  Focus Mathew san.

Ben Ferguson
Arizona DeLorean Club
American Hydrogen Association

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmc_dream <dmhmail_at_dml_y...>"
<dmhmail_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> OK!  I've joined the list.  Now all I need is a DeLorean :-)
>
> I have loved this car ever since I first saw it.  I even got to
ride in one, which
> just sealed it for me.
>
> It's a dream of mine to actually own a DeLorean, but my passion and
practical
> side are feuding over the decision.  So, maybe you guys can help me
out.  My
> practical side wants to know:
>
> 1) What's a reasonable price for a DeLorean in "good" condition?
I'm not

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:29:26 -0500
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>
Subject: New Poll

List,

New Poll on-line regarding how you found your car,  did you check
numerous cars?  and did you have a DMC vendor check the car first?  This
might help some of the new folks decide which course to take when
looking for a car.

Tom

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:30:31 -0000
From: "arcadebadass <arcadebadass_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <arcadebadass_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Screen (# 105721) For Sale

This is the plastic piece listed as a Screen, UPR RR GLASS. PArt #
105721. Hard to find part. $100.00. Email LoneWulf111_at_dml_aol.com if
interested.

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:54:09 -0500
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Limited Slip Differential

Sorry, I wasn't completely accurate in my last post. I would have been
correct to say: "a limited slip differential is available that will fit the
DeLorean's Renault transmission"

The manufacturer is Quaife, and they call it the "ATB Differential"

www.quaife.co.uk (look for the Renault30/Alpine/UN1 gearbox)

www.quaifeamerica.com (Ren 30 not listed but probably because it was never
a US car).

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:58:47 -0800
From: Phil Priestley <phil_at_dml_alessandros120.com>
Subject: Tiny light bulb for Headlight/hazard/cigarette lighter

I was at my local Schucks auto parts store last night and hanging there
with all the other light bulbs were the little tiny light bulbs for the
headlight and hazard switch. They were $2.99 for a pack of two and are
a Sylvania product.

Phil Priestley

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:08:20 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

I'm 20 and have plans for a delorean. Heck, if things work out, I may
have one this year. However, saving up is key. In my opinion, the other
part is to have a car you can depend on. I purchased a 1998 Hyundai
Accent for $3k. It is manual (so I can get use to that) and it is
dependable. I am not going to drop $16k on a Delorean just to have it
sit in the driveway when it breaks and have no way to go to work to earn
the money needed to fix it. Delorean's are great, but nor should it be
your only car as there are times that it should be sent off to PJ Gradys
or DMC Houston for a checkup.

My brother almost purchased a delorean recently. He would have taken out
a loan for $12k for it. His idea was to buy it, park it in a garage he'd
rent (as we closed the garage in years ago on the house for more room
inside) and never drive it as he wouldnt be able to afford repairs until
after he paid the loan off. As of right now, I think i talked him out of
it but am not totally sure.

They are great cars, but nor should you go into debt just to get one. It
is actually better to put away what you can and get it when you can
afford it, otherwise you risk digging yourself deeper into debt just to
keep it running and not have another car around to use when you can
really need it. I know how hard it is to wait, I've been waiting and I
didnt have allowance to save but I'm saving money from my job now.

Samuel

treehouse2000us wrote:

>Thanks you guys, you really know how to put a guy down!  As for
>waiting, is 10 years not enough?  I could certainly see it if I
>discovered the car 1 or 2 years ago, and had about 500 or 1000
>downpayment, but I have saved every dime I possibly could since I was
>8 years old.  Still, $8300 is pretty pitiful for all that time, cant
>blame me, blame my parents allowances when I was younger!  Haha.
>
>I will reconsider purchasing the DeLorean at a later date, but the
>urge is really there to get something this year that I can drive, I
>like the comment about driving the Sunstar model!  Thanks all of you
>who have replied on the list, and to those who emailed me in person,
>you will/already have a reply shortly, I'm backed up 2 days on the
>list due to working more than I should.
>
>Another question,
>
>Should I get the DeLorean with as little debt as possible, use the
>8000 I have and get a loan for about 6-8 k and go with monthly
>payments with risk of repo (haha, I pray not)
>
>Or get a full loan of about 15,500, keep the cash on hand for
>emegency use incase I cant pay the payments for a month or two (say I
>loose my job) or other reasons.
>
>Thanks, and please live that elusive dream guys (and gals),
>
>Tom Porter
>  Vin: Summer 2003 ?
>  treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com

[Moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:05:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean in a Blender

A friend of mine has been learning the new 3d
rendering tool, Blender.  On a forum he reads, he
found another user who created a 3d model of a
DeLorean.  The thread is here:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8722

Direct link to his pictures
http://www.jonlake.com/stage4.jpg
http://www.jonlake.com/stage3.jpg
http://www.jonlake.com/stage2.jpg

No real content here other than "wow.  neat."

-- Marty

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:22:34 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Scott Mueller wrote:

> Warning
> Do not try this at home.
> The maneuver performed was accomplished by the grace of God.

Indeed.  I did not write of this tale to brag, but rather to point out that the car did
not go completely out of control and was, in fact, quite easy to correct with the proper
techniques.

If the road had been even slightly wet, this would have been a very different story;
there's no doubt in my mind that the car would have spun.  I have done a 180 in the
DeLorean by doing a panic-stop in a slight curve under wet conditions, which is one of
the things that popped into my head when the back-end first broke out the other day.

I'm not sure that a limited-slip diff would have changed things any, either.  The idea
there is to prevent robbing a non-slipping wheel of power, but power to the wheels is
what was making them slip.  The LSD might help in straight takeoffs on slippery roads,
but the DeLorean will always be rear-heavy and prone to oversteer.

For those of you not familiar with racing terms...

    UNDERSTEER  -  when the front of the car hits the tree
    OVERSTEER    -  when the side of the car hits the tree

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:22:49 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

"dmc_dream " wrote:

> OK!  I've joined the list.  Now all I need is a DeLorean :-)

I can't recall ever seeing so many posts from new people looking to buy a DeLorean.

Are we SURE there's a recession?!??  What gives?

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:02:22 -0600
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

Mathew,

Welcome to the list. I'm an enthusiast without a car as well but I've
been on the list for a few years now and thought I'd offer up my answers
to your questions.

> 1) What's a reasonable price for a DeLorean in "good" condition?  I'm not
> looking for a showroom model, I'd like a reliable daily driver.

For a daily driver you can expect to pay anywhere from $20,000 and up.
You may get one with serious cosmetic flaws but good running condition
for less than twenty grand, but given the nature of the cars I wouldn't
count on it; most "less than perfect" DMC-12s I've seen have been in
better cosmetic shape than mechanical shape.

> 2) Does it require more maintenance than any other '81-'83 model car?

Yes and no. The electrics are more fragile than some cars, but they can
be fixed with newer technology these days and left alone. Mechanically,
the DeLorean is for the most part the same as many other cars of that
era - keep in mind that it's a PRV V6 on a Renault transmission.
Cosmetically, well, the outside will never need paint *grin*, and if you
keep an eye on the frame's epoxy coating you will need very little
maintenance as far as body/underbody go.

> 3) Does the value of the car depreciate or appreciate, given it's 'classic' status
> now?

That depends on whether it has been modified or not and who is selling
it. The DeLorean sold for around $25,000 new ... and I've seen a lot of
them for sale in that price range now. Given inflation you could say
that's depreciation, or you could say given that these cars have miles
on them now you could say that's appreciation. And keep in mind that a
lot of people wouldn't call the DeLorean a classic - we feel that way,
but we're biased. :)

> 4) Is financing easily available for such a unique vehicle?

Any personal loan can be had from various sources, but it depends on
what kind of interest you'd like to pay the bank.

> 1) How fast can it go?

This is up to debate. The stock DMC-12 is rumoured to go around 130MPH
but it takes a while to get there. A modified DMC-12, well, could go
faster or slower. I don't recommend drag-racing the thing, though.

> 2) Does owning a DeLorean make everything else in life hum-drum?

I would imagine the "little things" in life still count. Sex and food
are still important and probably just as enjoyable as they were before,
but keep in mind you will have less time for those two while working on
your car.

> 3) Do dreams really come true?

As we all know, that depends on the dream, but a lot of people on this
list would say "yes".

Good luck.

Regards,
Farrar in New Orleans

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:43:22 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

Gus,
You said " The LSD might help in straight takeoffs on slippery roads, but
the DeLorean will always be rear-heavy and prone to oversteer."

That LSD is illegal here in the States.  Have you been dealing with Tim
Leary?  ;>)

No offense intended and non taken.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:38:01 -0000
From: "treehouse2000us <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Just a quick reply to this one...

I already have two reliable cars, an 88 Honda Prelude _winter car and
a 91 Mercury Capri Conv. for the summer top down fun.  The DeLorean
would only be driven aprx. 2 days a month, mabye start it up a few
times a week.

Tom Porter
Vin: Summer 2003

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 18:48:32 -0000
From: "treehouse2000us <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <treehouse2000us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey Jake,

I got no grass on this side of the fence, any grass would be greener
than dirt.

Tom Porter

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:02:22 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Limited Slip Differential

I checked in to this many months ago.  They do not stock these units, and would require a minimum purchase of 30 units to make them again.

Price was about $800 each, so unless someone has $24,000.00 they are willing to risk on it...

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:17:02 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Pigeon Forge rumor

Hi
Just want to end a rumor that has gotten started on Pigeon Forge.

In the last week I have had a number of calls with people saying that the
rooms are sold out.  There was a new person there and things got a bit
confused but there are plenty of rooms left in all price ranges.

The web page had been misleading as well as this information even got on my
site and has been corrected.

To help expedite your room requests you can ask for Beth or Trish.  They are
familiar with the the show.

Because we always try to do something different we have decided to rent the
Conference Centers all three days. So we will have the smaller one Thursday
evening as planned, We will have our Friday Dinner at the Grand Convention
Center Friday evening (partial rental) and we will rent the Full Convention
Center on Saturday. (can hold between 70 and 95 cars plus vendors)

Curtis you do not have to worry about rain.

I have two 20' video screens to fill so if you have anything you want to see
on the big screens please send them in.

Just a note:

We went down to Pigeon Forge for a New Years Eve Party and had such a great
time there in the Convention Center we decided to do the whole show with them
as described above.

There is soooooo much to do there everyone will enjoy it we are sure.  We
have been there 7 times in the past two years and still have not seen it all.

Have a nice day

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:23:23 -0800 (PST)
From: "MR. KHALID" <hasankhalid02_at_dml_yahoo.com>

i fill your pain man!! watting is the hardest thing to do. keep the faith bro.

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:31:44 -0500
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

In a message dated 1/23/2003 6:24:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, dmhmail_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> My passion side wants to know:
>
> 1) How fast can it go?
>
> 2) Does owning a DeLorean make everything else in life
> hum-drum?
>
> 3) Do dreams really come true?

Welcome Matthew!  1. Not very, unless it has an engine other than the original PRV-6.  2. Good question.  I have found that having a D doesn't really make things boring as much as it confirms and settles in your mind that you really have the most awesome ride on the road.  It shouldn't make you cocky though, but it will give you a quiet confidence.  And the pleasure you get out of knowing you have one will hopefully come out in small measures from time to time, and not all occur at once then fizzle.  Perhaps not driving/dealing with  it everyday early on is one way to guarantee continued Delorean pleasure.

3. Yes they do.  I had the dream since I was 15 or 16 in high school back in the early 90s.  I use to doodle the DMC symbol on papers and notebooks while in class.  When I got into a financial position after college to own one, I found one in my price range and in my area and I went for it.  Realize though that is may take years of interest and failed attempts before you finally get a Delorean.  And when you are ready to be more serious about looking for one, it may take another year or so.  Maybe seeing and talking about Ds on the net all the time is not necessairly a good thing for you; I didn't use the net much after high school so constant images of Delorean ownership weren't a problem for me.  I'm not saying you shouldn't take part in the list here by any means.  I'm just saying it may make waiting harder for you then it was for me.  Of course, this all assumes you are in the financial position where you NEED to wait, which you may not be.

Hope some of this helps with your passion side questions. :)

Richard