From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1357
Date: Saturday, January 25, 2003 2:43 AM

1. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: John Gedeon <johne_g_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: "James LaLonde <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

3. Re: Go Getting My DMC
From: "dmcmike2002 <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>" <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Re: Digest Number 1356
From: dqauto_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

6. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: "dmc_dream <mhalpern_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>" <mhalpern_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

7. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

8. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:02:15 -0800 (PST)
From: John Gedeon <johne_g_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!

I think all the kids that grew up with BTTF (ie my
generation) are starting to have some money saved,
steadier jobs, and still not have too much
responsability allowing them to look into D's. At
least thats what my wife said and it sounds about
right since alot of the new people seem to be in the
18-22 age group.
John
--- Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com> wrote:
> "dmc_dream " wrote:
>
> > OK!  I've joined the list.  Now all I need is a
> DeLorean :-)
>
> I can't recall ever seeing so many posts from new
> people looking to buy a DeLorean.
>
> Are we SURE there's a recession?!??  What gives?
>

> Gus Schlachter
> VIN #4695
> Austin, TX

> team, please address:

> sale see www.dmcnews.com

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

=====
<>< Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;"

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:41:37 -0000
From: "James LaLonde <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

> I can't recall ever seeing so many posts from new people looking to
buy a DeLorean.

> Are we SURE there's a recession?!??  What gives?

Notice they are mostly young pip-squeeks like myself (19 yrs)?
Teenagers are too dumb to stop buying sh*t during a recession. We are
what is keeping America alive (j/k)!!!
Hell, Abercrombie & Fitch is doing well dispite the last few year's
economic downturn.

When I joined the list back in 2001 after the purchase of my first D,
it seemed like I was the only young'un, below 25 years, around. Now
all these young guys are all about buying a DeLorean. More power to
them, if they can do it!
I think some of you DMLers out there under-estimate the ability of
the younger potential DMC-owners to handle the car's social and
monetary responsiblity. But by that token, many of us younger DMC
owners (or soon to be owners) probably under-estimate(d) it. I know I
did at first!
It is VERY sound advice to BE PATIENT! I never should have bought my
first D, I could have found a far better one for less money if I'd
have done my research and looked around a bit more. I was seeing her
through rose-colored glasses; as I'm sure all of you potential owners
(young and old) will.
Be careful. Trust the wise men of DeLoreandom (Steger, Wynne, Grady,
amoung many many others). Vendors are out to make a buck too, but are
far more "on your side" and far more knowledable than some random DMC
owner.

Good luck to all you potential owners!
James L 4009

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:42:45 -0000
From: "dmcmike2002 <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>" <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Go Getting My DMC

I will try and help a little with my experince....I was 19 once
:-)...I am 39 with 3 kids and a great wife and a normal job. We are
not wealthy or poor...I would say happily upper middle class...I
remember walking out of the movie theatre in 1985 after watching Back
to the Future knowing I HAD to have that car...17 years later it is
now sitting happily in my garage...I have had the car for just over a
year and everything people have written in this thread is true,
especially David Teitelbaum.

The first car I bought after seeing the movie was.....not a Delorean
:-( ...It was a 1988 silver Acura Integra. If you use your
imagination and squint your eyes and turn your head sideways etc. I
kind of felt it was as close to a Delorean I could get...The car gave
me 130,000 mile swith virtually no repairs. I joked with someone once
that if Honda made the Delorean there would be no need for a DML. I
also remember calling someone in mid 1980s (I dont know who but it
may have been Kapac) It was an older gentlemen and he sent me a few
photocopies of Delorean information. He spent about 20 minutes on the
phone with me and after hanging up he had me convinced not to buy one
unless I had extra money and another car to drive everyday.

I am very fortunate to have a wife who understood my dream to own
this car...Just over a year ago (after about 6 months of begging) she
finally said go ahead :-) I looked for about 6 months and test drove
2-3 of them.... I ended up buying one for about $12k and really felt
like I got a great deal from an orignal owner who had all his work
done at one of the vendors.

I am not a mechanic and needed to rely on the skill of others to fix
major problems. New distibutor, water pump, steering rack etc...When
I bought this car I had no idea what to expect. There is such a
mistique to looking at this car that you forget it needs to drive in
traffic, at highway speeds and stop when you hit the brakes. These
functions we take for granted and like David says the body can make
the car look new.

Had it not been for people like Michael Pack on the DML who donated
about 100 hours of his time when I first bought the car getting it to
be safe and reliable (and since we have become great friends). There
is a learning curve to this car that you can only begin to climb
until you have been towed twice, thrown a socket wrench into your
garage door and laid there on the floor with tears in your eyes
looking at fuel pouring out of a metal fitting that should never
fail. There is a line in the movie "Armageddon" while sitting on top
of the shuttle ready for launch where someone says "Do you know we
are sitting on 2 million moving parts built by the lowest bidder." In
many ways you can apply that to teh Delorean.

The bottom line with this car is money. Plain and simple. If you have
the resources to fix any problem then buy it now. But I can tell you
I had to put out $1500 to pass MD inspection, $1000 for a major
tuneup, $1000 in cosmetic parts, and I have a wish list of about
$5000 more in parts. Forget about the tools you will want to buy. We
tell ourselves just owning the car is enough but then you see all the
things on the car that could be a little better. I always put car
repairs in 2 categories: what needs to be done to keep the car
running and what you would like to be done to make the car look
better. It is a constant battle between these 2 forces. People like
David Teitlebaum, who has helped me personally, make owning this car
a reality. I have also bugged John Hervey on the phone many times.
Ther are so many things I want to buy from Rob Grady I could put his
kids through college. So from a technical standpoint there is nothing
that can happen to this car that can't be fixed, for the most part,
the only question to ask is can you afford it?....

I wish you the best becasue I know how you feel...Take your time,
join a local Delorean club, meet some owners. If you lived near MD I
would love letting you see the car and answer any questions. I was
able to get mine because the housing market in my neigborhood doubled
and I was able to use a Home Equity loan to finance the whole
car....The rest of my car is on Visa :-) And after having this car
for a year I would not trade it for anything. A year ago I couldn't
tell a sway bar from a connector rod and now my car is on jack stands
in the garage and I am cleaning up the frame and replacing stabalizer
bushings. I am climbing the learning curve with the help of people on
the DML and living the dream.

Mike C

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:13:16 EST
From: dqauto_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1356

I would like to add, that buying a used and rarer car will have the same
problems that you mentioned.  The worst part is that some owners say that
they want the DMC and don't care that it needs LOVE AND MONEY TO KEEP IT
GOING.

I hate to say this...but I have come across alot of disillusioned owners and
bought their neglected cars... I have a fatal love for punishment that my
hubby can swear to. :)

All I can hope for is that future rare car owners will get their heads out of
the clouds for a few and look at just how much love it takes to keep one
happy and healthy and that Divorce has happened because of that love...but I
guess the same can be said about pets too. :)

Anna Noe
Dreaming of owning a D someday.

88 & 89 Impulse Turbos
88 Conquest TSI
92 SVX
93 DelSol
85, 87,87 300zx's
78 280Z
89 Pathfind-ing Parts Getter and Car Tower :)

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:16:13 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!

QUOTE:
"For a daily driver you can expect to pay anywhere from $20,000 and up.
You may get one with serious cosmetic flaws but good running condition
for less than twenty grand, but given the nature of the cars I wouldn't
count on it; most "less than perfect" DMC-12s I've seen have been in
better cosmetic shape than mechanical shape."

i disagree with this in some ways. a good daily driver is just a daily driver and they
can be bought for $15,000 and up, sometimes less. a daily driver does not need to be
perfect it just needs to run well and have everything working correctly. the interior
can be sun damaged and still be driven, the facias could be warped or flaking and still
be a great runner. when you start getting in to cosmetics you start getting in to a show
car type daily driver. remember these cars look new most of the time because they dont
rust like a typical 80's car would.

a $20,000 and up sounds like a show car or a weekend driver that you put low miles on
and not a daily driver to me. you can buy a mint condition delorean for over $20,000
that hasnt had any mods done to it and is still original un altered from the factory.

i say a daily driver can be anywhere from $15,000 to $20,000 anything higher would be
too good to beat around town with every day but this is my opinion.

mark
VIN# real soon

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:42:57 -0000
From: "dmc_dream <mhalpern_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>" <mhalpern_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

Thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences.

My interest was definately sparked by the Back To The Future movies.
I was in my teens back then.  Now I'm a 30-something year old husband and
father. (has anyone tried putting a child seat in a DeLorean? hehehe)

I'm not about to run out and buy my DeLorean tomorrow (no matter how
tempted I have been).  I know I've got a lot of research to do, which is exactly
why I've joined this list.  It's somewhat masochistic, since I know that it's going
to be a while before I can save the money and find the right car.
But for now, I  can live the dream vicariously through other DeLorean owners.
:-)

Mathew H.
--
Cool stuff for the DeLorean enthusiast:
http://www.cafeshops.com/delorean_shop

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 01:34:04 +0100
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:24:23 -0000, Mathew H. wrote:

> OK!  I've joined the list.  Now all I need is a DeLorean :-)
[snip]
> My practical side wants to know:
> 1) What's a reasonable price for a DeLorean in "good" condition?
[snip]
> 2) Does it require more maintenance than any other '81-'83 model car?
> 3) Does the value of the car depreciate or appreciate,
> given it's 'classic' status now?
> 4) Is financing easily available for such a unique vehicle?

MY practical side says search the archives
and have a look at <http://www.dmcnews.com>
My nicer side says:
1) This varies really on what you exaclty want, what I call a "good"
car can be someone elses basketcase / partscar.
I think mine's a "good" one, still requiring some technical and
cosmetic work, but drivable and reliable at about $14k 2 years ago with
something like $1500 on (preventative) maintenance and unfortunately
$5k in repairs after an accident (covered by my insurance).

2) No, it's about the same as another exotic / sportscar from that era.

3) Depends on how you look at it again: I have 3 consequtive appraisals
all 2 years apart, all stating the same replacement value. So you'd say
it didn't depreciate... But I put in over $6k... Where did that go???
IMHO it's a car, so it depreciates, unless it's something REALLY exclusive
like VIN# 502, a "Factory" RHD (please no argument again!) or one of the
Gold Plated American Express Cars...

4) One word: NO... (in my experience and reading here at least...)

> My passion side wants to know:
> 1) How fast can it go?

Faster than the standard Speedo will show ;-)
I've had mine (5 speed) up to about 135Mph, but that took a while.
It 'll do 120Mph without any trouble...

> 2) Does owning a DeLorean make everything else in life hum-drum?

No, even with the DeLorean in the garage I still enjoyed driving
my old Ford Escort Diesel and still enjoy driving the Nissan 100NX
that replaced the Escort. I'd say it enhances my life, but does not
replace any of the enjoyments I allready knew before owning my DeLorean.

> 3) Do dreams really come true?

YES, ABSOLUTELY! I've dreamt for about 14 years and it DID come true.
Mind you, my worst nightmare (accident) became true too, but do not
let that put you down. Anything you do has risks involved, even things
as seemingly simple as getting out of bed in the morning ;-)

Cheers,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:03:48 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/24/03 3:09:08 PM Central Standard Time,
johne_g_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I think all the kids that grew up with BTTF (ie my
> generation) are starting to have some money saved,
> steadier jobs, and still not have too much
> responsability allowing them to look into D's. At
> least thats what my wife said and it sounds about
> right since alot of the new people seem to be in the
> 18-22 age group.
> John

John,

very true. many of the younger owners (18-23 yr old) like myself have a
higher disposable income ratio than adults with houses, families, two cars,
etc.  Personally i realized this fact and decided that i had to get my
DeLorean while i was still young and make sure i get it paid off and fixed up
(i just about said 'completed' - like a D is ever done!) before i get
married, buy a house, etc.  that way i could enjoy it while i was still in
college and roaming the country, and have it 'on the side' as i begin to
settle down.

unfortunately, you NEVER have as much disposable income as you think you do.
i have a quite a large sum of debt that will take me all of 2003 to pay off
if i don't spend any more!!  BUT i can be happy in the fact that after that,
i will have an excellent car that is totally reliable, looks good, and is a
crowd favorite at the many shows i attend each year. to me, that is worth the
damage done by debt.

but then again, i have had a lucky work history so far - when i was in high
school i was the youngest assistant manager ever in the fast food franchise i
was in, and when i left there for a new job, i am now the youngest general
manager my company has ever put in charge of a store, and i have been lucky
to post up to 30% sales increases in the time i have been running the show.
i am paid well with bonuses, i'm on salary, i have benefits, and i am able to
go to college at the same time without any work penalties.  to make it short,
i wouldn't ever have dreamed of buying a DeLorean at 18 years old if i was
hopping around on jobs every few months - you gotta have a good reliable job
if you are going to be a young owner.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596