From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1360
Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 8:13 AM

1. Re: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: Mathew Halpern <mhalpern_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

2. Twin turbo alt mounts
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>

3. seeking advice
From: "JONAS19992000 <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Project Deadskank VIN #1816
From: "sacredlettuce2000 <sacredlettuce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <sacredlettuce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. black dash and binnicle for sale?
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: "d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

7. RE: Wheeeeeee! (LSD)
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. Re: Wheeeeeee! (LSD)
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

9. Re: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

10. Re: Wheee! (LSD...Finally Defined!)
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

11. Re: seeking advice
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

12. Re: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Where's DMC Joe?
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

14. Re: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!
From: kaipur_at_dml_aol.com

15. car meet
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

16. Re: Twin turbo alt mounts
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: seeking advice
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: Fuel Flow Measurement in a DeLorean
From: doctordhd_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Where's DMC Joe?
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

20. RE: Twin turbo alt mounts
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>

21. AW: seeking advice
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

22. Clarification [Was: Go Getting My DMC]
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

23. Re: Project Deadskank VIN #1816
From: "Chris D'Urso" <dursman_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Delorean mention on Jeopardy!
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>

25. Re: Clarification [Was: Go Getting My DMC]
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:27:22 -0500
From: Mathew Halpern <mhalpern_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!

> Do they come in different colors?
>
> ~Timothy S Purvis

DeLoreans did not come in colors, but some owners have decided to paint
theirs.  Here is a web site that features painted DeLoreans:
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/deloreans/

I'm not a big fan of painting a DeLorean, since much of it's character comes
from the futuristic, stainless steel.  But, I'd guess that it's the only
alternative to replacing an expensive panel, if the body had been damaged or
repaired with some metal repair compound.

Regards,
Mathew
--
Cool stuff for the DeLorean enthusiast:
http://www.cafeshops.com/delorean_shop

Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:38:04 -0800
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: Twin turbo alt mounts

hi,
 does anyone have detailed pictures for the mounting of the alternator on
twin turbo cars.  it is mounted higher up.

Darkstar

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:02:47 -0000
From: "JONAS19992000 <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <jonas19992000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: seeking advice

Hello list,

I need to replace my antenae (the power mounted in back).  Is there a
cheaper/easier alternative to a replacement for ~$175 from DMCH?
Ideas welcomed.

Does it do any good to replace the door struts without adjusting the
torsion bars...Will it help any?

thanks, Tom

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:55:52 -0000
From: "sacredlettuce2000 <sacredlettuce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <sacredlettuce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Project Deadskank VIN #1816

Well I guess it's time to introduce myself.
My name's Sorrel, I'm 21,  I'm live on Long Island in NY.  I've wanted
a D for a long time.  Ever since I was little it was my dream to own
one.  I just couldn't justify buying a D in nice condition and then
ripping it up to do what I want to do with it.  I happened across the
perfect car for me while viewing the dmcnews.com forsale section.  It
was cheap enough, and in just the right condition for me to start the
project.
I jumped on it,  now I am arranging shipping to get my car up here
from TN.  The car itself is VIN # 1816, and she needs ALOT of work.
She doesn't run,  doesn't drive,  is missing pieces, and looks like a
parts car.  For the price though,  she is worthy of being my new hot
rod project.  I have too many plans for this car to list,  and a few I
won't list till they are done.  Living near PJ Grady's give me good
local access to parts.  Anyhow,  if you would all like to see my D
check out my site.  I have a few pics up there now and will be
uploading more when the car arrives.  I also expect to load up the
Fiero section within the next month or so. Check out my site!
http://www.deadskank.com/
Thanks!
-Sorrel

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:30:46 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: black dash and binnicle for sale?

Does anyone have a perfect condition black dash and/or binnicle for
sale?

Erik

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:07:58 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Hello fellow DMC enthusiasts!

Great advice Gus and I'll go one step further.  I think some of the
Delorean enthusiasts out there need to "step up" their commitment to
the Delorean specialty providers in addition to the vendors.  These
examples of specialty providers are people like Ken Koncelik who
organizes the bi-annual Delorean Car Show and produces the Delorean
Car Show Magazine, and Ron Wester who has produced the 2003 GullWing
Magazine calendar and who is producing GullWing Magazine, with it's
first issue due out very soon (late January or early February 2003).

While Ken and Ron are not DMC vendors, we Delorean enthusiasts need
to support their efforts if they are to be successful and continue.
These events and publications are not meant to be "money making"
ventures, but rather ways to display our enthusiasm for the Delorean
marque and to inform both Delorean owners and enthusiasts.  Delorean
owners and enthusiasts benefit if these ventures are successful.

So Delorean owners, do not "wait" for a while before sending in your
membership to the Delorean Car Show Club.  The initial issue of the
Delorean Car Show Magazine is out, with the next issue to be out later
this spring.  Any funds that Ken "nets" from this venture goes to pay
for deposits on venues for the next Delorean Car Show.  Help make the
next Delorean Car Show even better by sending in your membership NOW!

Delorean Enthusiasts, purchase one or more 2003 Delorean calendars
from GullWing Magazine and send in your first year's subscription so
Ron will have a better idea of the number of magazines he will need
to print for the initial run.

Young Delorean Enthusiasts, if you cannot buy a Delorean now or soon,
you can help the Delorean community by patronizing these specialty
providers.  Keep in mind, all Deloreans will be passed along to the
next generation of owners.  What better way is there for you now to
contribute to both the Delorean community and to the Delorean legacy
by making these events and publications successful.

I know the economy is not the best, but please do as much as you can
to help all the Delorean marque-building endeavors that are out there.

OK, I will now step off the soapbox (and pass it along to others).

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 05:14:49 -0500
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Wheeeeeee! (LSD)

Are LSD's illegal in the US?  Who on earth would know you had one anyway? I
checked with my friend who is getting into drift racing (and has a 400hp
RWD Skyline) and he confirmed that a tail-happy car is infinitely easier to
control with a LSD because with a standard diff, if you rely on the
throttle pedal to control the wheels, you effectively have control of only
one wheel.... the one with the least grip.

(DOC UK)

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:52:35 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

"mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" wrote:

> Are LSD's illegal in the US?

Mr. Mueller was attempting to make humor out of the dual-meaning acronym:

  LSD = Limited Slip Differential

and

  LSD = lysergic acid diethylamide ("acid")

The two have very different effects.  Only the latter is illegal.

Gus Schlachter
Vin #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:20:26 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Don't forget that DMC-Houston is having their open house the second week of May.  It's a
bit more scaled down than a "car show" but still informative and fun.

There are other reigonal shows as well.  Heck, last year there was an "All British Car
Day" show in Austin and we had about 10 DeLoreans in attendance!  Ha!

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:39:44 -0600
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Wheee! (LSD...Finally Defined!)

Hey Guys,

For those who did not catch Scott's drift,
he was referring to the drug LSD, not a
limited slip differential.....so drugs are illegal,
the car part is not.

Well, I hope this helps.  Funny joke, BTW!

Later Dayz,
Robert G.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:41:54 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: seeking advice

Tom,

ACK!, don't fuss with the torsion bars unless you're absolutely certain they need
adjusting.  Without special tools and at least one assistant, the adjustment process is
dangerous enough to use in that Jack_at_dml_ss movie.

With the strut removed, lower the door slowly until it stops; it should rest about 6
inches short of closing.  The struts themselves have a limited life (about 2 years for
me on average) and are temperature sensitive.  All summer long my doors shot up and went
THUNK, but with the cold snap we've had lately I feel like Marty in BTTF because it's my
head going THUNK on the door.

The problem with the rear-mounted power antenna is access; it's tough to get to.  What's
wrong with yours?  Could you fix it with a new mast?

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:42:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I must applaud Rich for so very succintly stating
something that should be obvious, but perhaps is not.

The existing group of DeLorean owners is as nice a
bunch of people as I have ever met.  They will go
waaaay  out of their way to help a fellow owner or
enthusiast/prospective owner and ask for nothing in
return.

So, whenever it is possible to return the favor, do
so.
It will come back to you many times over.

Dick Ryan

--- "d_rex_2002 <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>"

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:43:16 -0600
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Where's DMC Joe?

It's been a really long time since we've heard
from him.....very educational guy, he is!

Later,
Robert G.

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:03:31 EST
From: kaipur_at_dml_aol.com

thanks for the info guys!  But come on Mathew, you gotta admit that the black
and gold paint job was tight!  Now, I plan to spend some time picking up bits
and pieces here and there now and then.  How long would you say it would take
to build a Delorean from the ground up making slight modifications?  Are
there, say, other types of odometers you could get for the thing?  Obviously
using engine types from other vehicles such as porsche seem to work but what
if you wanted to redesign the hood?  What vehicle type would come close to
matching the specs of a Delorean?  Just curious yknow.

~Timothy Purvis

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:05:56 -0500
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: car meet

How does June 14-15, 2003 sound?

SHOW, SHINE, CRUISE... a weekend in Canada
$1.00 USA is currently worth approximately $1.50 Canadian

- location: London, Ontario, Canada: approx 150 miles from Detroit, 125 miles from Niagara Falls.
- no judging
- cruise to Lake Erie (27 miles) with a super ice cream pit stop!
- great motel w/pool, waterslide, restaurants close by, etc.
- car display _at_dml_East Park  - waterslide, mini golf, wall climbing, bumpercars, gokarts, driving range, golf course etc.
- freebies
NO COST ........ other than your own expenses.

contact:
Marv. Stein
# 17707
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:47:15 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Twin turbo alt mounts

Darkstar, I have two different types of upper mounting on the bottom of the
alternator page.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/alternators.shtml

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:50:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If the motor part of the antennae is OK you can get fix it by just
replacing the mast and drive cable.
 To tell if you need a strut hold the door open and remove the old
one. Now slowly lower the door. It should remain open about 2-6" from
the sill. Depending on temperature (here in the northeast it's COLD)
the strut won't work as well as it will when warm. You may need a
strut AND a torsion bar adjustment. If the other door is alright try
switching the struts side to side. You might just have a weak strut.
Don't forget to remove the little spring clips before trying to remove
the strut.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "JONAS19992000 <jonas19992000_at_dml_y...>"

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:56:59 EST
From: doctordhd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Flow Measurement in a DeLorean

John,

I do have the workshop manual and it does have information on the various
systems but does discuss how one would measure fuel flow as in gallons per
hour.

There is an article about the CIS Fuel system at <A HREF=="http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/outofuel.htm">
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/outofuel.htm</A> that talks about an "air flow
plate potentiometer" ... which tells the ...trip computer ...

Our cars do not have such a part.á I wonder if one could be added?á It looks
like it attaches to the pivot point of the air flow plate.á On my car there
seems to be a brass plug at that point.á OK who has the guts to pull out that
plug and see what's inside!á

Perhaps we can experiment on a scrapped unit?

What do you think?

I also think that some computer product of engine RPM and frequency valve
data might give us fuel consumption.á What do you think?

> Dave, I know the fuel system pretty well, but all the information you are
> asking for, cold  &warm pressure, system, rest and control pressure  is in
> the technical manual. 2 pages of it. If you don't have one you can find it
> on
> my web site.
> John Hervey
> www.specialTauto.com
> Home of the Powder Coated Alternator
>
> <<Does anyone out there know the DMC fuel system really well?  How can
> I measure the fuel flow?  Can I use information from the frequency
> valve and RPM?  Any ideas?  I want to build a driving computer and I
> have bought a Compaq 2010c as the base.  It should look nice sitting
> on top of the center console with it's 640 x 240 color screen.  It
> will display time, didtance, MPH, miles per gallon, inside and
> outside temperature, battery voltage,  air fuel ratio, as obtained
> from the Lambda, RPM, ETA for an entered trip, distance to empty,
> etc.  I'll keep you posted but my main stumbling block right now is
> measuring fuel flow.  Will I need to get 2 seperate fuel flow sensors
> and put them in the feed and return lines and calulate the
> difference?  All pictures and update will be posted to my website,
> currently under construction, at www.dmc12.info

Dave

ps Please take a look at my invention at <A HREF=="www.tvpedaler.com">www.tvpedaler.com</A> and let me know
what you think.

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:09:12 -0500
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Where's DMC Joe?

He has taken over management of a "family entertainment center" near his home.  Here is what his website (http://www.geocities.com/dmcjoe/dmcjoe.html) says:

"This situation has seriously limited my time for DeLorean related activities; this is the reason I havent been visible at the DML. Please accept my apology for delays in responding to e-mail's and phone calls. "

-Hank

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:22:30 -0800
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>

Thanks, those helped but does anyone have pics of the lower mount??

Darkstar
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:47:56 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: seeking advice

Tom,

we have great adjustable (refillable) door struts here in Germany, sold by
Adrian,
founder of the german Delorean Club. Do not mess around with the torsion
bars.
When they lift up the door at least 2 inches (up to maximum six"), then they
are
ok. Don't stress them too much only because the struts have lost pressure.
Those
struts are about 50$ each and normally a little bit too strong for the
doors.
They have a valve at the end of the cylinder where (when removing the
connection
to the door) you can release some pressure. I set them up, so that my doors
will
open up very nice at about 20 to 25 degrees Celsius ! (60 Fahrenheit ?!?)

They do not open up completely at the moment, because we are below the
freezing point
outside. But when pushing them the last bit, they remain open ! They also
have e braking system liek the originals, so that they will open slower when
near maximum open.

I would recommend you to get those struts and set them correctly so that the
doors close without too much force.
When they looss pressure again, I found a airpump that makes up to 250Bar by
hand !
(For air pressured guns to fill them up.)
I had to set my struts to 170Bar to have them working correctly.

I really can't understand why most peaople are messing around with the
torsion bars,
which are expensive and may overstre▀ the sheet metall on the roof which may
loosen it
like seen on many cars.

If you want those struts, take a look at www.delorean.de. At the market
place Adrian is offering them (may be the price is still wrong since they
converted it from DM to Euro...)

175$ for an antenna ? why don't you get one for about 50$ which will also do
the job ?
Maybe you will have problem to find a black one like original, but is it
necessary ?
The rewiring is easy, new antennas have the relay included and won't need
the original relay anymore.

Hope I could hlep

Elvis & 6548 with fine and smooth working doors and a silver power antenna

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:54:36 -0600
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>
Subject: Clarification [Was: Go Getting My DMC]

id,

QUOTE:

> i disagree with this in some ways. a good daily driver is just a daily driver and they
> can be bought for $15,000 and up, sometimes less. a daily driver does not need to be
> perfect it just needs to run well and have everything working correctly. the interior
> can be sun damaged and still be driven, the facias could be warped or flaking and still
> be a great runner. [snip]

I believe that's what I said.

SELF-QUOTE:

> > You may get one with serious cosmetic flaws but good running condition
> > for less than twenty grand, [snip]

All right, I see how that could be confusing. To clarify: A car can be:

a.) in good working order
b.) in good cosmetic condition
c.) both a. and b.
d.) neither a. nor b.

The most likely occurrences are a., b., and d. for cheaper vehicles; for
more expensive vehicles the chances of c. increase.

will likely look bad inside, possibly look bad outside, and some of the
creature comforts (e.g., air conditioning) may not be working. None of
those three has to do with the car's <running condition>. If the engine
and related parts are working, the car will run.

Summary of the summary: Daily drivers that look bad can be bought for
under $20,000.

Sorry if my earlier statement was unclear on this point.

Regards,
Farrar in New Orleans

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:51:54 +0000
From: "Chris D'Urso" <dursman_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Project Deadskank VIN #1816

Hey, looks like its going to be a *fun* project.  Nice website too, I'll be
looking forward to viewing your results.  My vote is for the LS1, but you're
going to need some kind of trans work to hold all that power!  Good luck.
-chris-

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:28:55 -0700
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Delorean mention on Jeopardy!

today's episode of Jeopardy! featured a clue worth $1000:

"The chief designer of the Pontiac GTO, he later designed a sports
car he named for himself."

we all know the correct answer, but the contestants did not. one guy
answered "who is Shelby?" but no one else ventured a guess.

illyana

p.s. i TiVo the show (yah, i'm a nerd), so that's how i could quote the clue.

p.p.s. after giving the answer, Alex Trebek said "remember the
Delorean with the gull-wings?" apparently, they do not.

"What's the point in having a Honda if you can't show it off?" -
Superintendent Chalmers

visit my livejournal! http://www.livejournal.com/users/illyanadmc

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:22:22 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: Re: Clarification [Was: Go Getting My DMC]

"daily driver" can mean allot of different things to allot of different people thats why i
questioned it for the others that are new to the list. some people wouldn't consider a car
that needs allot of work a daily driver, me personally i will drive the car if it runs great
but needs some exterior work or interior work. to me a daily driver is a car that gets from
A to B with out being towed or breaking down.

no need to say your sorry because you have your own version of a daily driver and it may be
the same or different from others. i just didn't want to scare some of the newbies looking
for a delorean that runs excellent but needs some touch-ups or small repairs. i myself still
say $15,000 and up is the best place to start to look at deloreans for the best daily driver
and you are correct by saying $20,000 and below for a daily driver too.

mark