From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1362
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 1:31 PM

1. Re: TOBY TABs
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

2. RE: seeking advice
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

3. RE: seeking advice
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Tire Safety
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: TOBY TABs
From: "James LaLonde <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

6. Re: Happy Birthday
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

7. Radio for DMC
From: "Jere Arnold" <jerear_at_dml_dreamscape.com>

8. Re: Project Deadskank VIN #1816
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: seeking advice
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

10. DeLorean on Monster Garage - Was: Delorean mention on Jeopardy!
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

11. More questions from the new guy. :-)
From: "William Bowie" <wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com>

12. Andy Snell's restoration web
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

13. Re: Radio for DMC
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: TOBY TABs
From: "Toby Peterson <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

15. Toby Tab - Options
From: "jamesrguk <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. DeLorean Car Show Magazine Summer 2003 issue
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: TOBY TABs
From: "Classified <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: DeLorean on Monster Garage - Was: Delorean mention on Jeopardy!
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

19. Re: A new small DeLorean model
From: "fastdresser <fastdresser_at_dml_aol.com>" <fastdresser_at_dml_aol.com>

20. DeLorean vs Ferrari 308GTS vs Corvette vs 280
From: Tony Pistachio <TheStash_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: More questions from the new guy. :-)
From: "dmcmike2002 <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>" <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: More questions from the new guy. :-)
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: Toby Tab - Options
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. RE: Re: TOBY TABs
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

25. Re: DeLorean vs Ferrari 308GTS vs Corvette vs 280
From: JVC220_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:56:40 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: TOBY TABs

Actually, yes. I've seen that a couple of sets of Toby TABs have made
their way across the pond. Before I started in on replacing mine, I
searched the internet and came across Andy Snell's restoration web
page. http://www.delorean-dmc12.co.uk/restoration/ Pretty much so
far, his page has the best documented shots of the chassis seperated
from the body, with most of the piping and hardware in place that
I've ever seen. So if you're reading this Andy, I owe you a BIG thank
you! Not only did I finally get a good picture of how my TABs are
installed (without removing the air deflectors), but I now also know
just how to route my A/C hoses. When I finally do get around to
having the system rebulit, I'll print off a couple of shots to take
to the repair shop so they have a better idea of what to do as well.

Replacing my TABs wasn't quite as easy a job that I expected it to
be. The drivers side TAB slid both in and out with me only needing to
push the Trailing Arm up. The passenger side was quite a bit more
difficult for me. In the end, I had to not only wedge the Trailing
Arm up, but I also had to grab the Lower Linkage on the rear
suspension, and pull it twards the front of the car. Once this was
done, the new Toby TAB slid into place with no resistance.

I didn't replace the bushings though. It can be done, but I'm just
going to have it done when I have the suspension rebulit later this
year. Along with replacing all of the washers as well. The drivers
side nut came off with little resistance at all. But the passenger
side was torqued up a bit tighter, and the sleeve in the bushings had
cut into the washers.

The verdict: My car now has a bit less tendancy to break the rear end
loose. Not perfect yet because the Shock Absorbers are shot to hell,
but much better. A little bit of clunking is still present (drive
shafts), but is also much quieter! The TABs were clean for the most
part, and only the passenger side has shown any coating of rust. But
I coated the TABs with a bit of axel grease though to "seal" both the
bolts, and the sleeves. And yes, even though the car only has 44K
miles, the bolts are bent. It's not too noticeable by simply "eye-
balling" them, but is quite evident when you roll them on a flat
surface.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mgutkowski_at_dml_c..." <webmaster_at_dml_d...>
wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Did you know that several of the last sets of Toby Trailing Arm
Bolts found

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:10:40 +0100 (MET)
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de
Subject: RE: seeking advice

Sorry, no english version.
but when you enter the page click on "MARKT" and then on ADRAIN ROTH.
The struts are called "Gasdruckdämpfer für die Türen " and cost 95 Euro the
pair.

Elvis

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:29:48 -0500
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Try:

http://babelfish.altavista.com

It's not perfect but more than adequate to get the jist of a non-english
website.

Martin

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:45:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Tire Safety

This is a general safety post that is not specific to Deloreans but it
certainly does apply. Another owner just had his tires dismounted to
have the rims repainted. Although the tires looked fine on the outside
and they all held air when one of the rear tires was removed the
inside was all torn up. The tire place said that kind of damage
happens if the tire is driven on flat. Since this car was just
recently purchesed the present owner had no idea that that had ever
happened. This could have caused the side of the tire to separate. Now
I don't think everyone should dismount their tires just to inspect the
inside but if the tire has any suspicious bulges, is out of balance,
doesn't hold air, and you were not the only owner to use them then a
look inside couldn't hurt. This is certainly a hidden area and when
buying a used car it most certainly is "BUYER BEWARE!!!!!
 In the meantime tire pressure is probably the most important safety
related thing you can check. 23 psi in the front, 30 psi in the rear
and 60 psi for the spare. The tire info label is on the glove box
door. Check it at least once a month and before any long drive. It
should be checked cold or driving less then 3 miles (before the tires
heat up from use). Use an ACCURATE tire guage, spend more then one
dollar, the increase in tire life will cover the cost of a good one.
This advice is good for all of the cars you and your family drive.

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:22:35 -0000
From: "James LaLonde <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

Who can we contact regarding the second batch of Toby Tabs?
I only want to purchase one set for a reasonable price, but where can
we list our interest to get a second set a'goin?

Aside from that - they are gone, right? Period. Gone the way of the
driver-side torsion bar? Is there anyone with a set to spare?

And lastly - what are the alternatives? Replacing with a NOS TA Bolt
every few years? Is there a lesser reproduction? Sally TABs, or
Jeffery TABs?

-James LaLonde 004009

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:56:52 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday

his birthday was the 6th

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:12:26 -0500
From: "Jere Arnold" <jerear_at_dml_dreamscape.com>
Subject: Radio for DMC

I am planning to install a new stereo system in my Delorean. I would
like to put in a new stereo mp3 player with a cd changer.and new speaker
speakers. Would someone on the list have a any suggestions as to model
of stereo and speakers to install that would be reasonably priced?

Thanks

Jere' Arnold
vin#1480

jerear_at_dml_dreamscape.com

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:00:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Project Deadskank VIN #1816

WOO HOO! Another One Saved!!!! :D

Todd
Vin 5386

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:33:50 -0800
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

<SNIP> Is there an English version of the web site? </SNIP>

Try http://www.google.com

With the tool at:
http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

You get this:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.delorean.de/t
itel.htm
Click on "MARKT" and then on "DeLorean Club Deutschland"

It can't fix the graphics, but it sure helps!!!

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:29:05 -0800
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: DeLorean on Monster Garage - Was: Delorean mention on Jeopardy!

George Barris (that who was on the show) didn't design or build the 'Back to
the Future' DeLoreans for the movies. In fact, the car that was shown used
to belong to a N. Cal member who put it on eBay 3 years ago. It's not even
that good of a copy. Perhaps he made some of the theme-park display cars. I
just hope this doesn't turn into another incorrect rumor.

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA  VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/montkw/delorean/index.htm
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:owners_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:25:04 -0500
From: "William Bowie" <wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com>
Subject: More questions from the new guy. :-)

What mechanical issues should I consider top priority when considering
purchasing another D?  Safety and reliability first...what should always be
replaced if it is original equipment?

Is financing a Delorean a good idea?
What are average insurance rates like? I'm 33 and have no traffic record.

What are the most annoying common failures on Deloreans? i.e. electrical,
radio, air, heat, ect.

I'm sure these questions have been asked before, but since I'm serious about
my journey to aquire my dream car, I had to ask. LOL

William B.
(future D owner in training)

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:40:07 -0500
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Andy Snell's restoration web

Andy,
This is a great site you've put together. But why is your Compatible parts page empty? It would be great to see what you've discovered and confirmed in terms of available cross ref's are concerned.

Jim 6147

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:54:02 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Radio for DMC

{MODERATOR NOTE - Car Audio discussion here should stick to DeLorean-related issues (whare do you mount stuff, what fits etc). For general discussion on car audio please refer to a car audio list.]

In a message dated 1/28/03 1:25:04 PM Central Standard Time,
jerear_at_dml_dreamscape.com writes:

> I am planning to install a new stereo system in my Delorean. I would
> like to put in a new stereo mp3 player with a cd changer.and new speaker
> speakers. Would someone on the list have a any suggestions as to model
> of stereo and speakers to install that would be reasonably priced?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jere' Arnold
> vin#1480

Hello,

this is the topic of much debate. what it comes down to is - is much do you
want to spend and how picky are you with your sound?  YES there are good
products out there and there are BAD car stereo products too.  there are many
good items out there that are reasonably priced.  also you need to decide
just how much the space in your car means to you.  for myself, i like to go
on roadtrips and go to other events in other states.  to fill the parcel
shelf with gear is not an option for me.  maybe it is for you.

 i am currently engrossed in installing a kickin stereo system myself.  i am
getting near the end, right now i'm just finishing running all of my wires (a
big job).  i've got 250 watts going to a sub, 80 watts RMS x 4 going to my
four main speakers, also two more speakers running off of the deck, i've got
an equalizer too.  this week i have some custom enclosures being built and
installed at a local hi-fi car audio shop.  watch this space with updates,
pictures, and more in the next week or so.  i have been working on this
system for about 2 months with the sole purpose of helping to establish a
baseline for what consitutes a great stereo in a DeLorean, and i hope that
when i am done others see some of my ideas for use of space and system design
and hopefully help everyone out there who wants music as awesome as the car
they drive!

if you have any specific questions, i would be more than happy to answer
them, and if i don't know, then i know someone on the list who does!

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 01:05:23 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

James, and List - I'll use this message as a opening to let you know
that, based on several messages and emails lamenting the end of the
TOBY-TAB supply, I have contacted the manufacturer regarding a smaller
second batch.  As you might expect, in the world of fasteners, the
price is very much tied to purchase quantities.  The original batch
quantity of 200 bolts set a per-piece price point that led to the kit
price of $66 (which included nuts, washers, domestic shipping, and
pay-pal fees).  Based upon the "apparent" demand for more bolts, I
approached the company about a smaller batch, while trying to preserve
the original price per bolt.  I believe that I have come to an
agreement with them, but it will require a certain level of support
from you, the DeLorean community.  In this case, support is expressed
in terms of demand for parts.  Several people have come forward with
interesting ideas for raising the necessary funds to initiate the
order, but it seems that *orders* are what is required here.  I always
try to simplify things if possible.  I have contacted Darryl
Tinnerstet on this, and we think the best way to raise the capital is
to ask for prepayment of orders.  I will suggest that if we get enough
preorders for TOBY-TAB's by February 28th, I can pull the trigger on
the deal, and have fresh kits available by March 1st.  The price point
will remain the same.  The preliminary agreement with the company
requires that no changes be made to the drawing configuration or
engineering requirements, which saves them from redoing the
certification and testing documentation, as well as using the
original tool setup.  Darryl and I will move in whatever direction the
List indicates by your collective action.  Thank you for all of the
support you have extended in the past, and I hope that we can move
forward on this into the future.

PS - Sally and Jeffery?

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "James LaLonde <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_e...>"

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:38:24 -0000
From: "jamesrguk <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <James_rg_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Toby Tab - Options

Toby/list

I know that the T-Tabs are now sold out, I must admit I didn't buy
any, thinking that they are going to be a pig to change on my
automatic. Never the less mine do need changing.

A few questions:

1) Toby how much money up front would you require to do anouther run?

2) Would TAB's with a nut at each end make it easyer to install them
on a DMC with an automatice transmision?

I was thinking a crowned nut with split pin on one end and a normal
locking nut on the other end so they could be installed easier.

Maybe this is not possible, but I am betting that most of the owners
who have not considered changing their TAB's are owners of
automatics and are put of by stories of having to remove the
transmission etc..

Regards

James RG

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:45:24 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Magazine Summer 2003 issue

Well so far so good.

We have our articles either turned in or promised for the summer issue well
ahead of time.  It will come out in April sometime.

If you wish to do an article please submit it anytime we will get it in as
soon as we can.

Again thanks to all that have made this magazine a success.

If you haven't subscribed there are plenty of copies remaining and if we run
out we will just make more.

Again thanks and hope you enjoy the magazine.
The magazine is all color articles and many color adds.

In the second issue will be a picture of John taken in Oct of 2002 from the
same dinner as the video used on the web page.

I also sent John a picture of the Infiniti Triant at the Detroit Car Show and
he was interested in it.  The doors sure looked like a DeLorean.

Ken
Deloreancarshow.com

DeLorean Car Show Inc
DeLorean Car Show Magazine

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 04:34:35 -0000
From: "Classified <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Toby,

I am ready to order now, just let me know when and where. I think if
you set up a Paypal account it should work. If you need to e-mail me
that info please send it to VegasCop1(at)lvcm.com

I think that 200 is a good number, I think there is more demend that
you think and $66 in my opinion is awesome price for peace of mind.

Thnx,

Ski 4649

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Toby Peterson <tobyp_at_dml_k...>"

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 02:28:49 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

Now that's very interesting. I'm not questioning nor challenging anyone here,
even on the BTTF DVD, Barris isn't credited with the design of the car. But, if
he didn't build the car, then what role did he play with it? It is listed as a credit
for his garage on his website

http://www.barris.com/

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 03:13:47 -0000
From: "fastdresser <fastdresser_at_dml_aol.com>" <fastdresser_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: A new small DeLorean model

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ian Foster" <ian_at_dml_n...> wrote:
> Hi DMLers and DOCers,
>
> I have just been given a present this evening of a 1:43 scale
DeLorean.
> Looks great. Its by a subsiduary of SunStar and the quality is as
good as
> the 1:18 model. They offer the original DeLorean and also in BTTF
regalia!

> I haven't seen these mentioned on the Lists ... have I not been
paying
> attention?
>
> Cheers,          IAN
> ******************

I too was given one of the models the other day.  It is really nice.
Check it out at http://www.minichamps.de/default.asp

Jim

Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:02:11 -0500
From: Tony Pistachio <TheStash_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: DeLorean vs Ferrari 308GTS vs Corvette vs 280

Seen this article for sale on ebay. Is this for real?
My DeLorean is pretty fast but a Ferrari?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400968900&category=10368

Tony Pistachio
#10781 STSSTEEL
Wappingers Falls, NY

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:20:09 -0000
From: "dmcmike2002 <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>" <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: More questions from the new guy. :-)

You will get lots of opinions on this as I did when I bought mine
over a year ago. I would say first and foremost don't buy sight
unseen. At they very least have someone on the DML check it out for
you if you can't get there in person.

The frame has to be near the top of any list. Mine came from
Califonia so I knew that would not be much of an issue. cosmetic
stuff has to take a back seat because that is easy to fix and can be
done over time depending on your budget. The exception would be if
the dashboard and binnacle are in bad shape. Remember everything on
the car is 20+ years old. I think cars were built to last about 10
years on average so by its very nature buying and taking care of an
older car requires patience (I have 3 little kiddies which gives you
great practice :-) and replacing parts that you have never heard of.

I would make sure the fuel system, transmission, brakes, the engine
and the stainless panel's have no problems. Look at the repair
records if the seller will show you. Check that all electrical
recalls have been done. All of these things will add or subtract to
the price you should pay. Test drive several cars. One thing I
learned early on is all Deloreans are different and that adds to
their personlity. It also depends on your skill. Some people look at
problems as opportunity's to roll up their sleeves and learn about
your car and others will throw socket wrenches and their garage door.

Read the messages on this list. Take a rainy day and start at message
#1 and just go forward. You will see the types of things people run
into. On the positive side I waould almost guarantee any problem you
have will be covered here somewhere....Lastly...be patient. There are
always D's for sale.

Mike C

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:03:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Let's first assume that everything is in working order and is
origional. The first 2 systems I would do would be brakes and cooling.
Flush the brake fluid with Castrol DOT 4 GTLMA. Next would be to
replace every hose and seal on the cooling system including the belts,
idler pulley bearings and water pump. Maybe even the radiater. I would
also go over the electrical system for the cooling system like the fan
motors, fuses, switches, and Fanzilla (replacing the fan fail relay or
the bypass whichever is there). You will also probably be doing a
strut kit just so you don't hit your head all the time. You should
also at least inspect the Trailing Arm Bolts and consider replacing
them.
 If you could just get a "line of credit" loan on your house it would
be a much better and easier deal then trying to do it just on the car
alone. Insurance is really tough to answer, it depends on how you use
it and what state you live in. If you wind up with limited classic
insurance it could be in the $300 range.
 Visit DMCNEWS.COM and go the the FAQ page for more info.

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:21:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Toby Tab - Options

Changing the Trailing Arm Bolts on an automatic car isn't that bad.
The right side one changes like on a 5-speed. The left one is the
toughie. To get enough room without removing the transmission you just
have loosen the left side trailing arm from the rear carrier. Let it
hang there and don't mess with the brake line. You can move it out of
the way just enough without actually removing the trailing arm. Of
course all bets are off if the bolts are bent and mangled up but that
can happen on a 5-speed too.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "jamesrguk <James_rg_at_dml_h...>"

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:26:37 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: RE: Re: TOBY TABs

I had my TAB's replaced by the TOBY version just for peace of mind.   I had
a top mechanic do it for me and total including the new Tabs was $200.  The
mechanic figured a way so he did not have to remove my Automatic Tranny.
He talked to Toby on the phone and who said it was a GOOD way.   I did not
see him do the work, but he said he cut the bolt in two, to get it out and
then put the new one in from the reverse direction somehow.   I could be
confused about it exactly.  Toby or Darryl could tell you the procedure.
		Murray
		Vin: 05962
		Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:09:48 EST
From: JVC220_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean vs Ferrari 308GTS vs Corvette vs 280

Yes this is a good article that Car and Driver wrote comparing these cars.
This article is also in the Delorean Gold Portfolio that has many articles
from 1977-1995.  It shows fairly well how the media perceived the Delorean
from Preproduction to years after the company closed.  You can buy it from
the Delorean Store at
<A HREF="http://www.delorean-owners.org/market/catalog/store.cgi?product=DPBV">http://www.delorean-owners.org/market/catalog/store.cgi?product=DPBV</A>.

Adam S.