From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1368
Date: Sunday, February 02, 2003 10:50 AM

1. Re: Re: So close yet so far - quick question and update
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Frame /door/hood
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: DMC on TV
From: "fivetwofive <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

4. Re: TOBY-TAB's - second batch
From: "Classified <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Dream turned nightmare
From: "deloreandelorean <deloreandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <deloreandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. SS Illusion value
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

7. Re: Dream turned nightmare
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Dream turned nightmare
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Dream turned nightmare
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Dream turned nightmare
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Dream turned nightmare
From: "captain_hydrogen <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

12. Re: Dream turned nightmare
From: "stitsien <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

13. RE: Dream turned nightmare
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

14. Re: Dream turned nightmare (financing)
From: "Chris D'Urso" <dursman_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. world of wheels
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

16. DMC Electrical Problem
From: MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com

17. steering wheel
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

18. DeLorean spotted on Bob Vila's "Home Again"
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 20:35:10 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: So close yet so far - quick question and update

In a message dated 1/31/03 5:56:33 PM Central Standard Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

> You really should test the coolant
> system with pressure before putting the intake manifold back on. That
> way if you have any problems under there you can correct then without
> undoing a lot of work.

I'll second that.  when i did my master water pump kit last winter, i had a
pressure tester on hand and was able to find about 6 or 7 small leaks, even
in places that are nowhere near the water pump - including the silicone hoses
behind the pump.  i'd sure hate to put it all back together only to find a
hose clamp wasn't tight enough.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 20:41:04 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Frame /door/hood

Group, If anyone is interested in a good frame / chassis for the De Lorean,
please contact me off list. No rust, Good epoxy. I also have a new no line
hood in the box and a new passenger door in the box. I would like to offer it
to the group before it goes to ebay. I bought out a De Lorean dealers parts
he had for 20 years and don't really have the room for large pieces.
P.S. Yes, I do have TAB's of a higher factory quality for $19.95 per set with
nuts.
Thanks Toby for the plug.
Delorean parts store

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 07:47:22 -0000
From: "fivetwofive <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: DMC on TV

Couple of weeks ago I was watching a movie on TV called "Foolish"
made in 1999,and lo and behold out of the blue in the middle of the
movie a Delorean MAKES a starring role in the movie(appox 4-5 minutes
worth) really surprised me,I did NOT expect it.Nice exterior shots
and some interior shots.Bet 99% of you guys never even heard of that
movie.(I never did,and because of the subfreezing weather up here in
Connecticut,I had time on my hands,and had chanced in on that movie.

Claude
00570

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Scott Mueller"
<scott.a.mueller_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> On TV this a.m. I saw a DMC in an ad for a used car lot here in
Mobile.

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 09:45:58 -0000
From: "Classified <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <vegascop1_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: TOBY-TAB's - second batch

Ok,
Here it is, I just made the payment for $66, lets see how fast we
can fill up the order, come on guys, lets do it to it!!! I hope I'm
not the first one?!

Ski 4649

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Toby Peterson <tobyp_at_dml_k...>"
<tobyp_at_dml_k...> wrote:
> Hello List - I have received quite a few emails off-list
expressing
> support for moving forward.  These expressions of support are in
the
> form of commitments for orders, and the number one question
is, "how
> much ($) and where to?".  First of all, I want to congratulate
those
> of you who have stepped forward.  I appreciate your faith and
trust
> in the project.  I really believe that the DeLorean community will
> be a better place as we continually strive to improve on an
already
> awesome automobile.  Now then ... Here's how we'd like to work
it.
> Darryl Tinnerstet ( www.delorean-parts.com )is already set up for
> PayPal, and he is also willing to accept personal checks, money
> orders, or cashiers' checks as prepayment for the second batch.
> Checks can be sent to the address found on his website.  As your
> payment is received, you will be put on a list.  When the bolts
> become available, and the kits are assembled (washers, nuts,
etc.),
> kits will be shipped ASAP in the same order.  Based on the volume
of
> commitments received so far, it is looking relatively firm, but
the
> number of actual prepayments received will decide if and when we
> move forward.  I would like to be able to sign with the
manufacturer

Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 00:01:43 -0000
From: "deloreandelorean <deloreandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <deloreandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dream turned nightmare

This is my first post here so hello everyone :).I want to share my
experience of attempting to purchase a DeLorean with the group.I
drove all over creation and inspected several cars finally selecting
one close to where I live.I then attempted to get an auto loan
through my bank to purchase it and now I have run into a brick
wall.First I applied alone expecting to be turned down since I have
no credit history and of course I was denied.I discussed my options
with the loan officer at the bank and she assured me that if I
applied with a cosigner I would have no problems.So I applied jointly
with one of my parents (they both have excellent credit) and again I
was denied.When I contacted the bank to ask why (since they failed to
give a reason on the "adverse action" form I recieved)this is what
they told me."We would not approve this loan for any amount even with
a cosigner,We refuse to accept deloreans as collateral for any type
of loan." Further attempts to contact them about it have recieved no
response.I was curious to see what would happen if I tried to get a
loan for a different type of car and found out that if I would buy a
brand new vehicle from a dealership my bank would give me a cash
voucher to do so.I dont understand this since the Delorean loan was
for around 11,000 and the new car would be close to 35,000.All this
has discouraged me terribly.Does anyone on here know if there is
anyone out there willing to finance deloreans?I know it would be
best to buy the car outright in cash but I just cant do that anytime
soon and I want to drive my dream car sooner than later.thanks people

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 12:12:34 -0700
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: SS Illusion value

I have a question for those of you who know books fairly well.

With the new version of Stainless Steel Illusion coming out soon, what will
that do to the value of the original version? I know the original will
still be rare, but I've always felt that at least a portion of it's value
was just due to the fact that DeLorean owners and fans wanted a copy for
the information in the book. Once the new one comes out that value will be
gone and only the rarity of a hard cover first edition will be left.

What's your opinion?

Mark N

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 19:28:36 EST
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Dream turned nightmare

I have worked for a bank/ brokerage for about 6 years. The old addage about
bank lending is true: "In order to get a loan from a bank you must first
prove you don't need one"

I would not let this discourage you. Banks use loan underwriters and they
follow pre-determined guidelines and scores. Obviously when they saw the name
of your car their computer screen lit up like a christmas tree. This bank has
little info about Deloreans or will not take the time to research them.
Institutions that lend money need to do so to survive. Times are tuff and
rates are low. I would continue going to other banks. Try a small local bank.
Try a large regional bank. Try your parents bank....In the old days a bank
relationship meant something. Today it is all lending scores. Also, credit
unions tend to be very competitive.

Do not give up.

Mike C

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:42:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

PLease check the archive as this has been disscussed
in detail before. Thats going to be your best place to
research the info you need. also you might try an
online lender such as eloans.com or one of the others.
these loans come with higher APR but you will probally
get the loan. Keep us posted.

Todd
Vin 5386
--- "deloreandelorean <deloreandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>"

=====
For up to the minute details on the restoration of Vin5386 point your browser to, http://www.khpindustries.com/stainlessrestorations.html

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 04:05:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Banks are reluctant to give money on an old, used car. They see it as
a liability if they have to reposess it. A new one they figure they
can still recoup some of their money. If your parents have such
excellant credit they may be able to get a "line of credit" loan on
their house. This way they get a very low rate and the bank doesn't
ask what the money is for.
 Another option is to try other banks, some are more generous then
others. If you have a good, steady job and can put down a large
portion as a down payment they may bet on you, especially if you can
get your parents to cosign. Beware of overstretching your finances.
Don't borrow your last dime to get the car and then have no money to
spend on the expenses and upkeep, including insurance (expensive for
young people especially if you are going to use this as your daily
driver) and the inevitable repairs it WILL need.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "deloreandelorean

Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:03:10 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

deloreandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I dont understand this since the Delorean loan was
> for around 11,000 and the new car would be close to 35,000.All this
> has discouraged me terribly.Does anyone on here know if there is
> anyone out there willing to finance deloreans?I know it would be
> best to buy the car outright in cash but I just cant do that anytime
> soon and I want to drive my dream car sooner than later.thanks people

Hello,

without going into the general consensus of the newsgroup on the terrible
idea it is to take out a loan of that magnitude for a car that will probably
need thousands more dollars of work (i assume you are well aware of the
discussions since they only took place days ago) at such a young age with no
credit,  here are some options.

First, quit dealing with the bank you are going to.  if you have roadblocks
at a bank after attempting to negotiate, there is nothing you can do.  you
must have lots of money to change a bank's mind, and since you have none and
are asking for money, they will do whatever they please.

Second, reassess your sales pitch to the bank before you go to any more
banks.   do you come across as young and naive, or young, hip, and educated?
young can be a PLUS factor believe it or not.  the difference lies in the way
you talk about the car, your goals for repayment, you debt/income ratio, how
you dress, also quite a bit with how much information you ACTUALLY HAVE with
you and are able to understand and explain to the loan officer.   in order to
make a successful case, you need to have at the bare minimum:

1. lots of color pictures, inside and outside of the car you intend on
purchasing.
2. this car runs, right?  have the owner write the bank a letter stating what
the car needs to be perfect, and have him swear that is well maintained and
needs nothing in the way of driveability.  if the car DOES need engine work
or other critical things, you can probably kiss this one goodbye and don't
try again until you find a car that runs.  no one will finance a non running
2900lb piece of metal to a young person no matter how hard you try (unless
you have credit).
3. bring the bank a copy of DMC Houston's letter that states the availability
of parts.  that's a big one.
4. know the major vendors inside and out.  the loan officer will be dying to
know how you intend to keep the car running for the 4 or 5 years you are
paying for it.
5. bring along all emails or other correspondence with the current owner,
hopefully you have been discussing the car's condition, reliablity, history,
etc.
6. if you have access to shop manuals or parts manuals, these will be nice to
show how you have information on repair procedures.

I would probably stay away from a big national bank.  the local credit unions
tend to be a little more open to high-risk ventures like this - as long as
you DEFINITELY have the income to make the payments.

the other bank said they would not accept a DeLorean as collateral - what
this means is that if you default on the loan (are unable to make payments),
they will repossess the car from you and attempt to sell it on the auction
block or in front of the bank so they can get as much money back on it as
possible that they loaned to you already.  what could affect this would be if
you live in a small town (will take more time for them to sell a specialty
car), also to a greater extent the overall condition of the car (a non-runner
with lots of work needed will take a long time to sell too, and probably for
a lower price than they gave you).  again, make sure the car is pretty
decent, and go to a credit union.  even better, bring the car with and let
the loan officer see it.

i hope this helps - and good luck!  i was able to do it when i was 18 years
old, but i had my shxt together - my biggest advice is to make sure you do
too!

Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:06:32 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

My primary financial institution is a credit union and they consult
the National Automobile Dealers Association (N.A.D.A.) to determine
the amount they are willing to lend for a vehicle. Going by
the "average low" According to the N.A.D.A. Appraisal Guides
(www.nadaguides.com) my credit union told me they are willing to lend
as much as $9,050 toward the purchase of a DeLorean.  The loan would
be classed as a "Collector Car Loan" or "Personal Loan" at about 10%
interest.  Any ammount over the loan would have to be from other
sources such as cash savings.

The following is from the N.A.D.A. Appraisal Guides
(www.nadaguides.com) and can be used to get a loan for your DeLorean.

1981-83 DeLorean DMC-12 GULLWING 2 Door Sports Coupe
MODELS PROFESSIONALLY RESTORED OR REFURBISHED BY DELOREAN MOTOR
COMPANY MAY BRING A CONSIDERABLE PREMIUM (UP TO 30%) OVER VALUES
LISTED.
MSRP Original Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price when new:
MY1981-$27,500 - MY1982-$29,825 - MY1983-$34,000
81-83 Low Retail $9,050 - Average Retail $16,600 - High Retail $26,700

Low Retail Value - This vehicle would be in mechanically functional
condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint,
trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor
reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor
amateur restoration. Mostly usable "as-is". Note: This value does
not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value - This vehicle would be in good condition
overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained
original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and
mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-
footer".

High Retail Value - This vehicle would be in excellent condition
overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well
maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior
paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The
interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not
represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.

* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be
in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse
judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-
regulated facility.

Ben Ferguson
Arizona DeLorean Club
American Hydrogen Association

Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 08:23:01 -0000
From: "stitsien <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

Okay, this comes up every few weeks so let me just thrown in my two
cents. First off a bank is a business, that means they want to make
money which means only handing it out on a sure thing. Second, for a
first car I would strongly recommend getting a new car or the
traditional first car of many the easiest one to repair and cheapest
to own. Now that I think about heck, why not get a car you could be
happy with now and just save up. Don't get me wrong, you should get a
Delorean if you have the passion. But that same passion should not be
turned to frustration for picking up a classic/exotic that's going to
cost a  substantial bit to upkeep and fix if there's an issue.....you
don't want to have to wait on repairs while you are paying off a car
if something very bad happens do you? Now if all this hasn't detoured
you for the time being this is what you should do. Do your parents
own a home? If so have then take out a small "say $15-$20K" home
equality loan with say a ten year pay off plan. This way while you
pay say $170 a month on this loan "or double down ect"  while still
be able to store cash if a catastrophic failure occurs. You see at
the end of the day in banking you need to have something to barrow
something and banks love homes...... heh and cash even more.

Matthew Stits
Vin 0789

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 23:07:14 -0500
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

Have your parents take out a home equity loan and buy the car. You then have the government paying 1/3 of the interest, or what ever tax bracket they happen to be in. If they don't have the equity, and you can't pay cash for the car, then you probably can't afford it.
Jim 6147

Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:19:32 +0000
From: "Chris D'Urso" <dursman_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Dream turned nightmare (financing)

Where are you located?

Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 19:43:06 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: world of wheels

i just went to the world of wheels show today and saw the D-Rex and Eric Weber's lowered
delorean. it was amazing to see the D-Rex next to the lowered delorean because you
really see the huge diffrence between the two. Eric's delorean has an awesome stereo
set-up with a dvd player and playstation 2. when i came by and looked into Erics car i
seen he was watching BTTF part 1 on the tv screen that is part of his stereo system, he
also had another tv on behind his car so people could watch the news about the Columbia
space shuttle accident. the D-Rex was ready to roll over most of the compitition at the
show with its new and even larger tires.

if you havent gone to the World of Wheels show at McCormic place in Illinois this
weekend you still have sunday to see these two amazing cars.

later
mark

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 21:15:54 -0600
From: MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com
Subject: DMC Electrical Problem

I am in the process of putting a Delorean back on the road that I purchased
this past summer in some sad shape. The good news is that I am confident she
will be back on the road by spring. Many thanks to Bob Miller for finding me
a nice replacement motor for the car, which is in the process of being
installed.

One problem I am trying to correct is an electrical problem in the
passengers side door. The passengers side door has no power what so ever,
the window does not work, nor do the marker lights. All other electronics on
the car seem to be just fine. I opened the relay box, and nothing looks
melted or fried, however it does look all original is will need upgrading.
Any ideas on where to start looking for this problem?

Also, for the relays, who has the best replacement kits for this? I would
like to get this taken care of to insure I don't have a future melt down.

Thanks,
Mike Polzin

Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:22:23 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: steering wheel

Does anybody have an idea how I could get off the steering wheel
without doing any damage to the complete steering column ?

I already mad a tool with 2 M6 screws and a M12 in the center to
pull it out, but it's not moving at all.

Any idea ?

Elvis

Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 09:46:49 -0600
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>
Subject: DeLorean spotted on Bob Vila's "Home Again"

I was flipping through the channels this morning, and when I got to The
Learning Channel I saw Bob Vila standing next to a man in an auto museum.
They were looking at a Cord, which was parked right next to a beautiful
DeLorean.  Since I caught it partway through the program, I don't know if
they actually talked about the DeLorean or not.  Still, you get a pretty
good look at it while they're discussing the Cord.

The museum that was featured was the J.K. Lilly Antique Automobile
Collection at the Heritage Plantation in Cape Cod, Massachusetts.  Here's
the link, if anyone in the area wants to stop by and check out their D:
http://www.heritageplantation.org/autos.htm

Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov '81)