From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1373
Date: Thursday, February 06, 2003 10:35 AM

1. Re: shift pattern
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

2. Re: No Start!!
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

3. Re: No Start!!
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: No Start!!
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

5. Re: No Start!!
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. RE: No Start!!
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

7. Re: Re: Engine sources
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Engine sources
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

9. Re: Engine sources
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

10. Re: Re: To Rebuild to Part Out - That is the question.
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

11. Re: Re: DeLorean Fuel Flow Measurements
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

12. Re: light covers
From: "Alex <af_rocks_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <af_rocks_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Car Hauling
From: "James LaLonde <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

14. Can I get some advise please -->Re: Rear ended and insurance
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

15. RE: Can I get some advise please -->Re: Rear ended and insurance
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

16. Re-titling a parts car
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Re: Can I get some advise please
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

18. Optima charger
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Can I get some advise please -->Re: Rear ended and insurance
From: kaipur_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: Car Hauling
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Car Hauling
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_prodigy.net>

22. Re: Car Hauling
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

23. Re: Re: Engine sources
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. RE: Re: light covers
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>

25. RE: Re: light covers
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:10:07 -0500
From: "Hank Eskin" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: shift pattern

>The other shifter oddity: Pushing the knob straight ahead from the neutral position
> doesn't put you in first, but in third.  You have to spring it left and
> forward to start in first.

Isn't that just normal for most all manual trannys?  It sure is for all the cars I've owned (Mitsubishi, VW, Ford, BMW, Delorean).  As well as many others I've driven over the years.  As a matter of fact, I've never seen a trans that goes into first from the neutral position.

-Hank  #1619

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:21:23 +0100 (MET)
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de
Subject: Re: No Start!!

Battery is dead or a very bad contact !

9 to 10V is absolutely empty or dead.

You charged the battery ? how ? what is the initial charging current ?
if one cell is of the six in the battery is dead, it works somehow like a
resistor.
You will need way more than 14V to load the battery with more than 5A.
A good one has 12.6V when charged and was sitting for a while.

CHange the battery and you'll see it will be ok.

Elvis

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:31:09 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Paul, I said the other night. Cold weather is starter problems and hot
weather is alternator problems. Is it the original starter and solenoid. If
so it's time to rebuild it. Naturally you said the battery is fully charged
and I assume you checked all connections to make sure they are good.
If you jumper the battery and it turns over better then the battery isn't
taking a full charge to deliver to the starter. But if the battery is good
and the engine is in time and it still doesn't turn over good then the
starter needs service. Cold weather just drags them down. Starter drag.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:06:49 -0700
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

I've had this happen twice on mine at different times.

First time was three years ago. It turned out that the ground connection
where the battery ground wire connects to the frame was dirty. I cleaned
it, and the car started.

2nd time was last spring. That time the battery was the culprit. It wasn't
all that old, but had decided to bite the dust anyway. It would look like
it was taking a charge when I would hook up the charger, but it would never
charge up enough to start the car. I swapped in a battery from one of my
other cars and Vroom!, it started just fine. Bought a new battery and no
more problem.

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:14:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I would start with the battery. Make sure it really is fully charged.
If the sides or top of the case are bulgded it could mean the battery
had frozen, VERY BAD. If you suspect the battery had ever frozen DO
NOT TRY CHARGING IT.If you think it's alright pull it out and recharge
it and then take it to a shop and ask them to load test it (most
places will do it for free in the hope of being able to sell you a
new one). Once you know for sure you really do have a good, fully
charged battery clean the connections and reinstall. If you are still
having problems clean all of the "big" connections between the motor,
frame and battery. If this doesn't do it get a voltmeter on the
starter and try again. If you have around 10 volts or more (while
cranking) the starter is bad (rare). Most common is a bad battery or
bad connections, the starter is pretty reliable. If you have an
"early" car there is a wiring update you need to do on the starter
circuit too but your vin I think means you shouldn't need it.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Paul Salsbury <paul.salsbury_at_dml_b...>

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:36:00 -0600
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

That's a dead battery or a bad ground somewhere.
Have you tried jumping the car?

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:54:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Engine sources

Martin, the Eagle PRV is an even firing engine.  This
was accomplished on a 90 degree V6 by offsetting the
rod journals on the crankshaft.  (So each rod
essentially has it's own journal.)  If you check the
"Engine" section of my website, I have some pictures
of the bottem end.

=====
Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:33:23 +0100 (MET)
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de
Subject: Re: Engine sources

Why would somebody wanna exchange a 6 cylinder motor which was built for
that car with a 4 cylinder ?

it's the same as someone would take out a 12 cylinder off a Ferrari to put
in a 6 cylinder !

Sorry, can't get that ! Maybe you explain your reasons ?

Elvis

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:03:39 -0600
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

Martin,

The 3.0L found in the Monaco and Premier is an even-fire engine. Contact
Pacific Rim Automotive - they used to have a kit which would convert the
DeLorean's odd-firing distributor to an even-firing one.

There's a man (whose name escapes me at the moment) who put the 3.0L in
a DeLorean. The website was, at last notice, projectdelorean.com. It
even includes carbureting the engine. Check it out if you want the
details.

Regards,
Farrar in New Orleans

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:58:52 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Re: To Rebuild to Part Out - That is the question.

You can take an old VW to mexico.  The will take your title and vin and
put in on a total new "Old" Beetle which they still make in mexico.  You
then drive back to the US with a new old car.

Some people have been exporting these new old Beetles for a number of
years.

So it is the Title and Vin number that make a car.

I know people who have late 30s Fords that are new chassis FAT Man
Frame, fiberglass T bucket body and newer engine, trans and rear end.
 Nothing of the original car exists but the title and Vin.

BOB

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:43:38 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean Fuel Flow Measurements

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 10:16  AM, David Teitelbaum
<jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:

<snip>

> The other important
> signal you need is from the odometer to get actual mileage traveled so
> you can calculate instantanious and average miles per gallon. I guess
> you could put it next to the lambda counter with a short adapter cable
> between it and the speedometer.

Probably the best way to get speed/milage data is to install an
aftermarket cruise control which will come with an engineered solution
to this problem.  Often, it is done by attaching a ring of magnets to
one of the driveshafts with a pickup coil nearby emitting a pulse
whenever a magnet goes by.  #6309 came with such a setup installed (but
no sign to the accompanying cruise control).

--Pete Lucas

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:08:19 -0000
From: "Alex <af_rocks_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <af_rocks_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: light covers

While cruzin the net I found these headlight covers. There is no
picture but they are supposed to be for a Delorean. Check it out.
http://www.autoworldaccessories.com/ViewPartinfo.cfm?parttype=200183

Alex
2438
"Lex Rod"
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "mwwilber2003 <mwwilber2003_at_dml_y...>"

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:55:43 -0000
From: "James LaLonde <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Car Hauling

I'm considering some DeLorean repairs out of state, and would like to
know if anyone has any recommendation on a car hauler. Trustworthy
and reasonably prices; doesn't have to be covered - but would prefer
it.

Anyone had any good experiences? Anyone to stay away from?

thanks!
James LaLonde 4009

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:05:24 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Can I get some advise please -->Re: Rear ended and insurance

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stitsien <stitsien_at_dml_l...>"
<stitsien_at_dml_l...> wrote:
> Okay, after reading this I was very concerned about having AAA
> insurance so I went in person to the main...
<SNIP>

This pretty much concerns me as well, as I've been thinking about
switching over to AAA. I don't know the name of the guy, but a friend
of mine who used to work a security job _at_dml_ a CSAA call center where
you call into once you have a claim. Anywho, she spoke to one of the
adjusters who was onsite, and he said that AAA would have no problem
at all, and in fact, they have handled claims with DeLoreans before.
It sounds like this is just an underwriter allowing her ego to try
and "get even" for losing an argument.

I too have gotten the run around with the lame excuse of "Since DMC
no longer exists, we can't find parts." So this leads to an
interesting question. Since DMCH has publicly announced that they
will soon be manufacturing new DMC-12's that will hit the road, could
we get the insurance letter on the site modified to state that not
only to they have parts, but they manufacture new cars as well? This
would greating help both current owners who are trying to obtain
insurance for our vehicles, and quite possibly future owners who are
looking for financing as well...

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:43:45 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

I would change insurance companies.  If my agent treated me like that, he
would get none of my friends and families business.

Try Haggarties, they insure collectors cars.

I have State Farm, and my Car has been insured with them since it was first
purchased in 1981.  I have had one claim, the car was damaged in my garage
during a burglary.  State Farm sent there "Exotic Car" specialist.  He
looked at the upholstery and I gave him a print out from DMC Houston showing
what the damaged parts cost.  I had a check in hand within the week.

Get on the phone and start getting quotes from other insurers.  If you have
other cars and Homeowners policies, you can usually get better deals for the
whole package.

I have had State Farm in California and now have them in Alabama.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 20:48:29 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re-titling a parts car

Since are at least 6 or 7 D owners in North Carolina, offer this:

NCDMV issues a "bonded title" for car without one. You post a bond (I
did it through my insurance company) against the car in case it turns
out stolen, etc. Bond is 1.5 times property tax value. You also have
to get an initial DMV inspection in addition to standard safety
inspection.

Other states may be similar?

How may DeLoreans are sold without titles anyway?

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:40:45 -0600
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>
Subject: Re: Can I get some advise please

Matthew:

A phrase which I have found helpful over the years is a very simple and
direct one. Use it when you are being given the runaround by people who
don't know what they're doing.

"Let me speak to someone who can help me."

This will usually get you to the next person up the ladder, but if it
doesn't work, "Let me speak with your supervisor" sometimes will.

But with insurance agencies, you may find that NO one can help you.

My preferred method: Go straight to the top. Read on.

If all else fails, contact the highest person you can find. AAA is very
tricky about not telling you who or where the current national CEO or
president is. Try James Pouliot, the current CSAA chief executive. The
headquarters is in California. Try writing to him c/o:

California State Automobile Association
150 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94102.

(CSAA is the local AAA for Nevada, California, and - I THINK - Arizona.)

You can also try your local AAA Advisory Board (I'm sure there is one)
or the national advisory board in Chicago.

If that doesn't work (keep in mind that AAA says tuning your radio is
more deadly than having a heated conversation on a cell phone while
driving at 70 mph - they're pretty obstinate folks), try putting your
story in writing (gently and briefly, but firmly stating your problem
and demanding action on your behalf) and send it to the State's Attorney
General:

Nevada Office of the Attorney General, Division of Consumer Affairs
1000 East William Street, Suite 200
Carson City, Nevada 89710
(702) 687-6300

Or since your AAA is based in California, you could try their office:

California Attorney General's Office, Public Inquiry Unit
1515 K Street
Sacramento, California 95814
(916) 322-3360 or 1-800-952-5225.

I hope that helps.

Good luck and kind regards,
Farrar in New Orleans

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:48:51 EST
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Optima charger

Dear. List:

       Hello, list.
  I am not driving my D for a long time and beginning  to worry about the
battery in my D...so now I am looking for my new battery, red hat Optima,
charger.
I know that an Optima battery cannot use with any ordinary battery charger to
recharge. It needs a special way to recharged.  Then, I found a couple of
products they say they can do it.

one, I am thinking to get, is "Battery Tender Junior".
http://www.batterytender.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=31

     Battery Tender says, 'Fully automatic two-stage lead-acid battery
charger. Perfect for all lead-acid, sealed maintenance free and gel cell
batteries.'

    It is very light weight, tiny look and the most thing I like is that it
is very cheap. We can buy from ebay around $25+$7.50 shipping. However, there
are always some reasons why it is cheaper and I afraid of the reasons
sometimes...so I look at other one, On Board Power Tender, in Battery Tender.

   Here come my questions, which one I should get. Or do I have the better
way (product) to recharge my optima? Generally I don't mind spend money (but
not too big) for my Delorean . Please anyone tell me any advice. I am very
happy to hear.

Thank you very much for help

Blacknight

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:11:29 EST
From: kaipur_at_dml_aol.com

This would be because the said truth of the matter is that insurance
companies will take your money but won't make any gaurantees that they will
pay for damages.  They evaluate every manner of the situation possible.
Including who was driving, what time of day was it, were you in a Delorean
[oh sorry we don't really cover those], and then want a copy of the police
report.  In the end, you'd be better off looking for a specialized insurance
company that deals with classics, historic cars, and exotics.  You may pay
more but you will more likely get the coverage you need.  The basic companies
will only give you the run around and look for any way not to truly cover
your Delorean.

~Tim Purvis

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:13:53 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Car Hauling

James and Group, Naturally you will get several people who have moved cars
with there recommendations. I have moved two cars by Dependable Auto Shippers
( DAS )
and they were very professional and would not haul a De Lorean in an open
truck. I just had a call last week about a moving company out of Florida
moved a De Lorean to Michigan and we estimate $5,000.00 in damage. It will
naturally be a fight with the insurance company so I wouldn't take a chance.
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:15:54 -0500
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_prodigy.net>

PLEASE TAKE THIS ADVICE! Stay away from Auto Moving, Inc. They are under
investigation by several law enforcement agencies for fraud. They will take
your deposit and your car will never be picked up. They did this to me and
about 300 others. I know this first hand. When picking a hauler, make sure
they are an actual hauling company and not a just a "broker". Before you
make a deal with them, ASK if  they own and operate the trucks. If not, STAY
AWAY! Avoid companies offering the lowest price that want a non-refundable
deposit. (usually $200.00) Auto hauling brokerage is one of the biggest
scams on the net.  I finally had a very good experience with "Passport
Transport", a division of Federal Express. They were very inexpensive
(cheaper than most at $650.00 Ohio to Boston) and delivered the car on time
and in perfect condition. Stick with the reputable companies that you know
by name. You can find the office nearest the pickup point at their website:
passporttransport.com. They have an instant estimate online service. Good
luck.
Rustproof
Vin #1559

Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 02:27:11 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I have had my car shipped 3 times around the country. DeLorean One
and PassPort Transport. DeLorean One is covered and absolutely
perfect - but expensive. PassPort Transport was covered and priced
right but managed to bend the front lower control arms for me and
scratched up the frame because they used a chain. I get upset every
time I think about it because I didn't discover the damage until
several months later when I looked under the car and it was too late
to do anything about it.  DMCH has told me since that time that the
drivers are trained in proper DeLorean tie down techniques.
Apparently DMCH uses PassPort or occasionally recommends them. The
key is to know proper tie-down technique and be sure the driver
knows it.

Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 06:46:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Just to clarify a couple of things:

I believe the gentleman at Pacific Rim Auto is John
Lane.  He is extremely knowledgable about getting
performance out of the PRV engine. He did put an even
firing Eagle 3.0 PRV into a Delorean successfully.

On my website, I am also in the process of converting
my D to the Eagle engine.  I'm not finished yet so
John's is still the only complete conversion that I
know of.

As for the carbureted engine, it was actually the
original Delorean PRV that I carbureted and it was
only done as a temporary fix to make the car mobile
because the fuel system was shot.  It was never
actually driven on the road with that setup. (Just
didn't want any "carbureted Eagle PRV" rumors running
around.)

Thanks, Steve
VIN 02650 ("ProjectDelorean")
http://www.projectdelorean.com

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:20:55 -0500
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>
Subject: RE: Re: light covers

I have a set of covers for my car.  Pictures can be found on my web site
www.sacketmansion.com

Jack & Virginia Stiefel
1981 Delorean Vin 03461 August 1981 Build
1988 Jaguar XJ-SC Cabriolet Edition
Visit us now at www.sacketmansion.com
Live Internet Radio at www.radiocapevincent.com

<mwwilber2003_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> I have just bought a used Delorean and wanted to know if they make
> blackout light covers for the front headlights of the car. I have
> seen some in pictures but do not know how to get them can anyone
> help?? Also I wanted to know if the factory painted any Deloreans
> that came out in 1981, if so what colors came out?? I have heared
> that some were painted but not confirmed this info. please let me
> know Thanks.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 22:08:03 -0500
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

These are not headlight covers. They are a universal stencil kit to paint covers or headlights