From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1392
Date: Saturday, February 22, 2003 5:42 PM

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Toby Peterson <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

From: "jtipton" <Jtipton_at_dml_iglou.com>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. New info on Tilley and invention
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

11. RE: E.F.I.
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>

12. Re: Re: yeah right!
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Stage One 197hp kit and twin turbo?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>

14. Common power improvements for PRV engine?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>

15. Re: Any old timers know anything about this?
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

16. Re: Lockzilla Remote Series 2
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

17. Re: Electromotive anyone?
From: "Pete B <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: coolant hose leaks
From: DMC12Don_at_dml_aol.com

19. RE: E.F.I.
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

20. Re: cold air source
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

21. Re: Re: Hmmm, it's getting chilly in here, roll up the windows!!...
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

22. Magazines
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

23. Re: Electromotive anyone?
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

24. Re: Stocker Crankshaft
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

25. Re: Electromotive anyone? Yes.
From: "jtipton" <Jtipton_at_dml_iglou.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:56:00 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell

Aaron, I have on the web site either bulk hose or hose cut to fit for the
accumulator and the lines coming from under the car going to the fuel pump.
By phone I can walk you through how to do it. It's isn't hard.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/fuel-injection.shtml

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:03:13 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Changing spark plugs

Richard, Plugs torque at 14lb's + or - 1lb. Any 3/8 's drive with a 8 to 10"
extension would be helpfull, I would also have a can of WD40 around and a
small Mag light to make sure the insulator goes on top of the plug and not
off to one side.
Gap plugs at .024 to .028. Call 24/7 if you need help.
John hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/engine.shtml

<<
 I know this has likely appeared on the list before, but I am probably going
to be attempting to change my own spark plugs.  While I know which kind of
plugs to get, can someone let me know what kind of tools I will need to get
to the plugs, take them out, and then re-install the new ones properly?  From
what I understand you want to apply only a certain torque on them to install
spark plugs.

 Also, while I'm in there I'm also going to replace my thermo-time switch.
What is the difficulty level on replacing this part?

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:07:02 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: E.F.I.

Raphael, EFI conversions have been done for the De Lorean, about $1600.00
dollars with less than a 10 HP gain. Correct me if I'm wrong. Jim is more of
an expert,, Hey Jim where are you.
John Hervey

<< The company BDS ( blower drive service ),a supercharger company, now
 specializes in electronic fuel injection conversions.Has anyone
 asked them to work on the Delorean ?

 Raphael

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 02:48:17 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Coolant hose replacement

I second Greg's experience with the Gates Green Stripe.  He
convinced me to do the very same thing with Winged1 circa 1990 ... I
have had no problems of any kind with the installation.  I did
change out the radiator to an all metal one, and change the bottle
to the stainless steel type, but these were done some time after the
hose change.  I reused the clamps with no challenges.  The cost is
high, but the results are worth it.  As we approach another summer
of cruising, it might be worth considering.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Greg Linstad <greglinstad_at_dml_r...>

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:55:48 -0500
From: "jtipton" <Jtipton_at_dml_iglou.com>
Subject: Re: Electromotive anyone?

I dont have a TEC III, but I do have TEC II's on both of my turbo miatas.

I know a fair bit about TEC's. The II and III arent much different except
for a few little do-dads.

What did you want/need to know?

Cheers
Jenn

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:29:47 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Hi,

for your fuel leak problem, i BELIEVE someone else had that same situation.

email him at mcohee_at_dml_cfginc.com
his name is Mike.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:02:56 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: free carfax report this weekend

click the link and follow it for a free carfax. if you close the web
browser, delete all of todays files under Temperary Internet Files
Cookies History and give it a different email address
you can run multiple free reports.

http://www.nbc4.com/money/1991367/detail.html

mark

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:16:17 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: delorean vin numbers

does anybody have a breakdown of what the letters and numbers of the delorean vin number
mean? i know the last 5 digits are the number of the vehicle but what do all the other
letters and numbers mean?

mark

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 04:26:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Parts Cars vs Reviving an Old Car

For over 1 month I have been offering for sale what I believe to be an
excellant candidate for someone who would want to "bring back from the
dead" a Delorean that has been in storage for 18 years. While it will
need a lot of TLC and expensive parts IMHO the price is very
reasonable. I think at this price if I do not get any takers I could
do better parting out the car. For you purists that would shudder at
the prospect of parting out a restorable car put you money where your
mouth is and give this car a good home. Since the body panels and most
of the interior is in good shape I could get more than $8,500 if I
decided to dissect the car piece by piece. All of the people that were
interested when it came time to "ante up" had all kinds of reasons why
they were no longer interested. Maybe if I priced it at $10,000 I
would get more interest? It took a while but I now have a good, clean,
marketable title. The car does start, run, and drive but it needs a
lot of work. At his price I can't afford to do anything to it as it
would cause the price to go up. For anyone buying it locally I would
help in the mechanical repairs.

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 23:32:07 EST
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: New info on Tilley and invention

Fellow DMCer's.
The local TV station here in middle TN has done a series of investigations on
Carl Tilley and his invention. Use these links to check it out for yourself.
 <A HREF="http://www.wsmv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1141479&nav=9Tb0E7wT">Inventor says he can create energy</A>
 <A HREF="http://www.wsmv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1141631&nav=9Tb0E9Zn">Former company insiders refute inventor's claims</A>
I do this not to start the "I told you so", or to start anew the Tilley
posts, but just as a
service to my fellow DMCers.
Bruce Battles
Vin 06569
MTARNDO

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:26:49 -0500
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>

	I don't think it would be hard for BDS, or any other
manufacturer, to make an EFI conversion for the PRV engine, but I don't
think the number of potential customers would warrant it.
	EFI kits are like superchargers, in that once you have a good
kit designed, you can fit it to a wide variety of engines, just by
making a different intake manifold for each engine.  That's why you see
GMC 6-71 and 8-71 superchargers fitted to many brands and sizes of
engines.
	Given the limited number of potential DeLorean customers, I
don't predict anyone mass-producing a compatible EFI intake manifold.
If you've ever heard owners of 3rd-generation Honda Preludes complaining
that no one makes a supercharger for their cars, you'll know what I
mean, and there are a *lot* more of them then there are of us.
	If you really want EFI on the PRV engine, I think your best bet
will be to have someone custom-fabricate an intake manifold to go
between the PRV block and the EFI kit of your choice.

Scott

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 07:48:09 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: yeah right!

Ah, indeed, I was pulled over, & ticketed, many moons ago _at_dml_ 0130 one
Summer's morn for "reckless driving".  Door open, nice & warm, better than
T-tops.   Took it to court & the Judge dismissed it- "It may look strange,
may not be something you or I would normally do, but it is not illeagal".
The ticket remains in my glove box.   Drive Stainless  (door up or down)
Robert   VIN 6924

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:47:24 -0500
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Stage One 197hp kit and twin turbo?

Does anyone know if the 197 horsepower "Stage One" kit from DMC in Texas
would be compatible with the twin turbo kit from Turbo Manifold Company?
I'm considering having both done, and don't know if the two upgrades
together will provide a significant improvement over just doing one or
the other.  Here's what I know about the two kits so far.

Stage One 197hp engine-- Unspecified improvements to the intake and
exhaust flow, and hotter camshafts. Approximate price $4500

Twin Turbo Kit--bolt-on twin turbos, and the removal of the stock
muffler (resonator tips are used on the exhaust pipes instead).  I don't
know if the stock intake manifold is retained or not.  Estimated price
$3000

My concern is that the Stage One kit may involve several improvements to
parts that will just be replaced or deleted by the twin turbo kit, such
as the muffler.  Also, if the camshafts with the Stage One kit have a
lot of duration or a very narrow lobe separation angle, that would
negate some of the benefits of the turbochargers by bleeding off some of
the cylinder pressure during the time that both the intake and exhaust
valves would be open during the compression stroke.

I spoke with the lady at Turbo Manifold Company, and she said that they
currently are designing a new kit, since the IHI turbos are evidently
getting pretty scarce, and she didn't know much about the new kit yet.
I haven't asked DMC Houston about the compatibility of their Stage One
kit with a turbo, because they seem to have a pretty low opinion of
turbo DeLoreans in general, so I couldn't expect an unbiased answer.

I'd hate to spend $8000 for both options, only to find out that the
extra $3000 only gets me 15 or 20 hp more.  Anyone have any experience
or suggestions?

Scott

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 02:48:29 -0500
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Common power improvements for PRV engine?

	What are some of the common methods to improve power and torque
on the PRV engine?  I've seen the 197 horsepower kit from DMC Houston,
as well as single- and twin-turbo configurations, but that seems to be
about it.  I know that at one time, a supercharger was available, but
haven't seen anything recently.

	Has anyone ever done any experimentation with higher-compression
pistons or longer-stroke crankshafts?  How about a good old-fashioned
port-and-polish on the cylinder heads?  With 92 octane pump gas and the
PRV light alloy cylinder heads, going from 8.8:1 up to 10.5:1 by fitting
custom pistons should give a nice power increase and still be perfectly
fine for a daily driver, even in hot climates.  Using gapless piston
rings with the new pistons would likely boost power even more.

	Likewise, by welding and offset-grinding the crankshaft to
increase the stroke, a displacement bump to at least 3.1L should be
fairly straightforward.  3.5L might even be reasonable, as long as the
machine shop could clearance the block and crank to make sure the rods
or crank counterweights didn't hit the cylinder skirts.

	With the cost of the Stage One kit and turbo kits, I'm wondering
if anyone has tried more conventional performance methods instead of, or
possibly in conjunction with, the above-mentioned kits.

Scott Gardner

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:27:15 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Any old timers know anything about this?

All of Steven Wynne's inventory now at DMCH was stored in Columbus for many years.

I didn't know DeLorean engines were illegal, tho.  :-)      I guess it violates
EPA rules to put them into anything other than a DeLorean.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 03:30:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: Lockzilla Remote Series 2

I guess I didn't know about this series 2 remote. At the time I bought my
zilla remote, it was with the understanding that when the door launchers
came out, the zilla remote would be necessary. Am I now hearing that I
need to get a new remote module? Is there any retrofit for the older
remote modules?

-Christian

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:19:19 -0000
From: "Pete B <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

TEC3 is a custom Engine Control Unit from a company called
Electromotive that replaces the mechanical  distributor with a
flywhell, and the coil and spark system with a direct fire ignition
system.  In addition, it can control electronic FUel Injectors,
meaning the replacement of the (inefficient) D mechanical fuel
injectors.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of a success story on a D

Pete

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:32:46 EST
From: DMC12Don_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: coolant hose leaks

I replaced ALL of my coolant hoses at the start of last summer. I made sure
that all were tight but not over tightened.  A few weeks ago, after driving
my D I noted a leak beneath the car. I traced it to the large hose on the RH
side (rear).  It was loose!  By that I mean just loose enough to leak.  I
retorqued all others and found many to be the same way.  This is probably the
manufactures are using so many spring type hose clamps, because they continue
to exert force as they "settle."  The moral is to check 'em periodically.
        Don VIN 6860

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:56:44 -0500
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

Check out http://www.sdsefi.com/features/nov01del.htm
This was my first EFI conversion using the stock intake and throttle body.
My second EFI conversion included an intake manifold replacement.It's very do able.
Jim 6147

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:14:15 -0500
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: cold air source

I had a similar cold air leak. It turned out to be the the foam seal on the forward side of the heater/air cond plenum in the pass foot well. The foam seals the route taken by the refrig/heater hoses into the plenum. You can't see it but if you climb head first into the pass foot well, and run your hand up between the forward fire wall and the plenum, you'll find the foam. Once you place it back into position, it can be sealed with latex or silicone using the ends of your fingers. You have to do it blind strictly by feel.
Jim 6147

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:29:29 -0000
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Hmmm, it's getting chilly in here, roll up the windows!!...

I bought my car with the window motors needing replacement.  I.e. my windows
have never been lowered in the one year of ownership (thankfully my air con
works brilliantly in the hot weather).

I will be putting in the modern heavy duty replacement motors at a later
date.  More urgently my original plastic outside driver door handle broke
and having the new metal replacement to add in its place has presented a
problem.  I read the breakdown on how to remove the door trim on the DMCNEWS
tech section however the first suggestion is to..

 << with the window down carefully pry up the "fir tree" clips along the top
edge, working from the outside through the open window. >>

I cannot see away of getting to the top of the trim to unhook the fir tree
clips.

Does anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks in advance

Chris Hawes

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:33:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Magazines

I've finally resoloved that I'm going to chunk down the money for a subscription to one of the many DeLorean magazines. So does anyone have any suggestions? If I had bottomless pockets I'd subscribe to them all... but the reality is I'm a 20 year old college student who has to watch his budget. The choices are Gullwing, DeLorean Car Show, DeLorean World, and DeLoreans... are there any others? What are their strengths, weaknesses, and focuses?

Louie Golden
VIN 10115 Sanford, NC

Don't be left out! Register today for the 2003 DMC Open House Event at http://www.delorean.com/2003event.asp

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:01:26 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Digital fuel injection can give 10-15% more HP and better drivability
over a carberated engine.

That is why today's engines appear to be more powerful than the
carberatered ones.

However, going for continuous injection to sequential injection, my give
only a 5% increase depending up proper calibration and so many other
factors.

The main advantage to an after market DEFI is that you can put the car
on a dyno and tune it for maximum performance fairly easily - hence the
increase in HP.  This is much more difficult to do with a carberator or
continuous injection.

Is the small increase in HP worth the expense?

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:10:28 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Stocker Crankshaft

I also have been wondering about a stroker crankshaft for the PRV.  Some
of the members have been taking to engine builders about the PRV in
Washington and England. .  For those of you who have- has anyone ever
mentioned the use of a stroker crankshaft.

Stroker crank shafts are available for the SB chevy, SB ford and the
Rover V-8.

What about the PRV?

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:03:48 -0500
From: "jtipton" <Jtipton_at_dml_iglou.com>
Subject: Re: Electromotive anyone? Yes.

Like I posted earlier, I'd be glad to offer any assistance regarding the
TEC.  I HIGHLY doubt there is a DeLorean out there with a TEC on it.

The only case I could see with a DeLorean using a TEC would maybe be a 3
rotor ( 20b) or or a major motor swap car owner who used it as the ECU, but
for a rotary I'd use a Haltech anyway.

Im wondering why you want/need to use a TEC on a D?

Are you looking to get more performance out of the PRV motor?? I would
suggest staying away from that.  I really think the TEC would be out of
place on a Delorean unless you're using it to run a wild engine/performance
set up.

TEC's require alot of tuning and playing with maps, you control every aspect
of the motor, from TOG ( time on for gamma) for the injectors, pulsewidth,
voltages, TPS etc.

You would also need a custom machined piece for the D to even mount the
crank wheel trigger, and of course then you have the other sensors, coolant
temp, Intake temp etc.

It would be a large undertaking.

Again, Im not quite sure why you're wanting to put a TEC on a DeLorean? Do
you have some wild project?  It would help me to help you if I knew what you
were trying to do  :)

Cheers
Jennifer Tipton
Louisville Kentucky