From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1394
Date: Monday, February 24, 2003 7:28 AM

1. Re: delorean vin numbers
From: "Dave Swingle <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. RE: E.F.I.
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>

3. RE: Stage One 197hp kit and twin turbo?
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>

4. Re: Buzzing from engine
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. NOS parts on ebay
From: "lockecard <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

6. Re: Buzzing from engine
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Searching Archives
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

8. Special DeLorean for sale on ebay
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

9. Record-setting SEVEN D's at FL car show today!!!
From: "Brian Henderlong" <bhender1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

10. Re: Electromotive anyone? Yes.
From: "Pete B <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. RE: Lockzilla Remote Series 2
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

12. RE: E.F.I.
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

13. Re: Electromotive anyone?
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

14. Engine replacement
From: Adam Bucherati <adamb35_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Parts Cars vs Reviving an Old Car
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

16. RE: Re: yeah right!
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

17. DeLorean in Video Games
From: "the_great_gazoo.rm <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>

18. Re: DeLorean Video Games
From: "stitsien <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

19. Re: DeLorean Video Games
From: "tenchi_alex <tenchi_alex_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <tenchi_alex_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Buzzing from engine
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

21. Re: Engine replacement
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

22. performance cams????
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Service in Tennessee???
From: "delorean02378 <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Engine replacement
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

25. Re: Engine replacement
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 00:04:28 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: delorean vin numbers

It's now posted in the tech page at

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/vindecoder.html

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> > does anybody have a breakdown of what the letters and
> > numbers of the delorean vin number mean?
>
> Robert Lamrock wrote a great explanation back in 1997.  Here's a
link to it

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:06:46 -0800
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: RE: E.F.I.

I think the switch is more for relibility than power.
I am currently working on a easy DIY FI swap for the Delorean as part of my
TT setup

Darkstar

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:06:47 -0800
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: RE: Stage One 197hp kit and twin turbo?

I dont think so... part of what they do is change the cam to increase
effective compression (i assume) and the exhaust is a major part of it too i
think.
Also keep in mind a "hot"cam is bad for turbo charged cars.  the best
charistics for a turbo cam is similar to a economy cam.  very little overlap
(if any) and higher lift.

I'd go with just a TT setup.  I am also working on a custom ground turbo cam
set.

Darkstar
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:54:24 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Buzzing from engine

In a message dated 2/22/03 5:44:23 PM Central Standard Time,
delorean_at_dml_online.no writes:

> I opened up and localized the sound to come from somewhere near the cold
> start valve. Now I wanna now - is this buzzing "normal" or is something
> about to go wrong?
>
> Stian Birkeland
> Norway

Stian,

i have a similar problem (?).  i think it is connected to having a partially
discharged battery.  anyway, i localized the sound to come from the idle
speed motor.  the next time yours does it, try putting your hand on the motor
and see if you can feel any vibration.

anyone have any idea what this is?

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:20:30 -0000
From: "lockecard <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: NOS parts on ebay

To anyone who may have interest.  There are "batches" of nos parts
comming up on ebay. You may be able to find a deal. Good Luck.
Stephen

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 02:51:12 -0000
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

My car does this too... I always thought it was normal. I think its
the idle speed motor.

Adam
16683

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_o...>
wrote:
> Today I went out in the garage for the obligatory once-a-week start
and warm-up of my DeLorean. It is stored during the winter time. At
the same time I wanted to check the door lights etc. so I didn't
start the car, but turned the key to "position 2", when I suddenly
heard a loud buzz coming from the engine compartment.

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 04:15:15 -0000
From: "content22207 <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Searching Archives

Have been quite a few posts recently looking for info that may already
be in archives. DMC News site has nice link to several search engines
I use quite often:

http://www.dmcnews.com/search.html

Remember your boolean logic!

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:16:33 -0700
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Special DeLorean for sale on ebay

Something like this only comes along once in a while,
        I own VIN 16816.  16817 is for sale, again, on ebay and something
tells me not to pass it up.  For those of you who know me I've taken 16816
and changed it just a bit....:)  I keep thinking how sweet it would be to
have 16817 sitting right next to it, completely stock, maybe even concours
ready.  The current owner was prepping it for concours competition.  He told
me it's been serviced by P.J. Grady since it sat for over 12 years before he
picked it up so I know it runs great.
        Granted there's no significance of those two VINs.  They aren't the
first or last 1983 out there.  Neither has been owned by a celebrity, yet
having the next VIN from my car just has such a pull to it, something I just
can't describe.
        I am curious to know if any of you have ever had the opportunity to
do this.  Would any of you consider of something like this?  I feel like
since it's presented itself yet again that someone out there somewhere is
telling me something.

I dunno....maybe it was just the bourbon....

Matthew
VINs 10365 and 16816

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:31:53 -0500
From: "Brian Henderlong" <bhender1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Record-setting SEVEN D's at FL car show today!!!

Hey, all --

Despite some rather ill-timed rain, seven DeLoreans local to the Central Florida region attended the 4th Annual Festival of Exotic Cars in Mount Dora, Florida on Saturday.  This was the largest gathering of DeLoreans that many of us in the area have seen for quite some time!

I've uploaded some nice photos on my website (see link below).

Enjoy!

- Brian Henderlong / Tampa, FL
- http://home.tampabay.rr.com/deloreans/

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:15:51 -0000
From: "Pete B <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Electromotive anyone? Yes.

Thanks for the info Jen...

Actually my soon-to-be-inherited Baby is currently a dead vehicle,
with a history of heat and moisture related problems (Houston, Texas
you know...).  I am used to 300HP+ V8's but I also think the concept
of the PRV is in the right place, they were just so far ahead of
their time that they couldnt get the correct parts (aka EFI in place
of MFI).  It would be part of a major rebuild anyway, and why not
take what JZD did and try and improve on it a bit?

The reasons for the upgrade are:

1) Modernization - I am a systems control engineer and think my
laptop can handle the fine tuning...  I love optimizing systems and
trying to make the inconceviable actual.

2) Power and Torque increase.  The (pathetic) stock HP and torque are
substandard in my book.  The silver streak should be able to back up
its looks with action.  An EFI and ignition control system to replace
the ECU in the D is a significant improvement (read vacuum tube to
silicon transistor differential) that will allow for wide variations
in daily parameters to be compensated for.  An automotive engine is
in reality a giant air pump.  If you can optimize the work out by
enabling a greater unit of mass (air) through the system and
increasing the combustion efficency (chemical mass and energy in),
then the same piece of equipment can do much more.  The D stock block
and heads are so well engineered, I dont believe engine swaps are
necessary, and turbos should only be used to eek out that extra after
the system is finely tuned....

3) Fuel economy - $ - enough said...

4) Pride... if I can take a car that was designed in the 70s, built
in the 80's died in the 90's and make it run better, faster and
stronger than it ever did, I would be pretty content with myself for
some time.

5) the KISS principle - keep it simple, sucker... the fewer
mechanical parts in a vehicle, the less that can go wrong with it
from normal wear and tear.  Replacing the mechanical parts with non-
contact equivalents improves engine efficency, total vehicle weight
(tho only by an estimated 100 pounds) and eliminates many of the
common problems with the D.

My current plan is as follows:

a.) Strip engine out of car
b.) Eliminate all archaic low efficency parts (MFI system,
Distributor, engine management system, failed electronics, and fuel
management system)
c.) Install engineered more efficent throttle body and intake
manifold (from Hennessey, engineered by yours truely for optimal
flow) that is capable of Forced Air Induction (turbo or supercharger)
for future improvements.
d.) Have the Stage I improvement installed from DMCH
e.) Install TEC3 system and Fuel Management hardware
f.) Tune (OK this one will honestly be the longest part) for use as a
daily driver...
g.) Drive car....

OK I also have a little question... why would you not want to
optimize the PRV.. it is a genuinely awesome engineering marvel as
the block and concepts go.  Theoretical maximum HP and torque should
be 125hp/L and 100ft-lb of torque per liter naturally aspirated.
Achieving 85-90% of that (instead of 50% the stock D came with) would
be a significnat improvement in my book.

In other words, I want a project car that will act as good as it
looks, but I recognize it will be a PROJECT!

Pete

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 06:56:57 -0500
From: "mgutkowski_at_dml_cix.co.uk" <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Lockzilla Remote Series 2

An off-the-shelf remote central locking unit will interface directly with
the stock lock module (as long as you trust it - I modified mine with new
relays). I have remote locking and remote starting (meant for a 5-speed)
and alarm system all on the one fob and it has cost me less than $100

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:05:02 -0500
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

You don't need a new intake to put EFI on the PRV. The Delorean heads already have the CIS injector port bungs which accept Bosch pintle style injectors. 170cc Injectors out of the Eagle PRV or the Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 fit right in. Pull the fuel dist and plug the mount holes, remove the metering flap, add an FPR, trigger off of the coil or add a hall sensor, add an AT sender, add a TPS, and either use the existing ET sender or add a new one on the thermostat housing. Dial in the mixtures on a dyno with ehxaust gas analyzer. This is just an overview. It's possible. And there are lots of options.
Jim
6147

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:16:27 -0500
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Electromotive anyone?

I recall getting a 10 HP gain over stock figures by going batch EFI (not sequential) and using the stock intake and exhaust. I think the CIS metering flap is the biggest obstruction on the intake side and with that out of the way, it breathes easier. When my car came out of storage, it had a trashed CIS system. For me the benefits of EFI are in its simplicity, tunability, reliability and performance. I think I did the whole conversion for about a grand including the ECU. If I was to have restored the CIS, the fuel dist, accumulator, CIS injectors, cold start valve, and injector lines would have cost me more than that just to start.
Jim 6147

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:19:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Adam Bucherati <adamb35_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Engine replacement

I drop about 3K a year on engine repairs for my D.
Are there any modern motors on the market that are
compatible with the dimensions for the stock 2.85 Liter?

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:50:05 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Parts Cars vs Reviving an Old Car

As someone who has posted here on this debate, I do feel obligated to chime
in.

<SNIP>
> It is an interesting dilema. You would think that if
> the car ran and was in a restorable condition with a
> clean title someone would pony up the dough for a
> dream car. Unfortunetly seems more and more people are
> all talk and no do.
<SNIP>

I stand by my statement of not parting out cars that are good canidates for
restoration. But forgive me for not pouncing upon this car because I don't have
the resources, be it workspace, time, the free cash, nor *gulp*, the desire to
take on such a project right now. But the point of the original thread on thsi
subject was to be a debate, not a auction of who will be the first to buy these
cars. And of course that debate was to keep these cars until the perfect
canidate comes along to buy them, rather then to just destroy them by parting
them out. Saying that other cars are "living on" by utilizing parts from a car that
was dismantled is simply self justification thru one's on imagination. In all
honesty, that's pretty much the same believe that canibal headhunter tribes
have that when they eat their enemies, they gain their powers. Short of a total
all out smashed up, burned up, totally destructive wreck, I don't know of
anything that would keep a DeLorean off the road. It is my firm believe that no
matter what, parts can be substituted, and/or modified to work for the
Delorean application.

And if it can't be replaced, then it can be improved. I would think that the
ultimate proof of situations such as this would be things such as the door
regulators, suspension kits, and the dedication of other vendors who have
worked to bring us improved/replacement products such as Bob Zilla, John
Hervey, and Darryl Tinnerstet.

In the end, I imagine that it's probably going to be difficult to try and sell any
type of a classic car, no matter what the economy. Another question would be
where are you advertising it? I'm not looking to buy another D right now, so it
would make sense that I have not seen the ad for it, as I am not in the correct
demegrahic that you're trying to market the car to. But like I say, this is the very
first that I've ever heard of it being for sale. Otherwise, you should have an
option with DMCH. As I've heard it, they buy all cars that they want to refurbish
for a flat fee of $10K. A couple of free ads online are not always going to cut it.

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 09:14:32 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: RE: Re: yeah right!

Correct, driving around with the doors up is a form of "showing off",  Same
as owning a car with a stainless steel body and with gull wings!!  I am a
big "show off" !!
	Murray
	Vin: 05962
	Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 18:11:57 -0000
From: "the_great_gazoo.rm <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>
Subject: DeLorean in Video Games

For the XBOX a "bastardized" DeLorean can be found in the
game "WRECKLESS : The Yakuza Missions" it still recognizable…

There is another game .. I think its only for Gamecube called
Universal Studios Theme Park Tour .. and you can play a level with
the DeLorean and the BTTF Ride.

And we all know that even though the doors don't open as they
should… the DeLuxo in the Playstation 2 game Grand Theft Auto III :
Vice City is really a D

There are tonnnes of them for computer games as add on vehicles

Need for Speed

Grand Theft Auto III

Midtown Madness

Etc..

To name a few

-Kenneth

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 02:59:00 -0000
From: "stitsien <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Video Games

For the PS2 that is correct for the XBOX there is " Wreckless: The
Yakuza Missions" which has a version of the D as well. I spoke with
Stephen Wynne when he was in Vegas and was told that Namco was
making a game with a delorean in it....NOT a knock off.

Matthew Stits

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 09:08:58 -0000
From: "tenchi_alex <tenchi_alex_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <tenchi_alex_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> correctly the game "Grand Theft Auto III Vice City" has a Delorean
> in it but the game calls it a "Deluxo".

---Yeah, they say that, but LOL it doesn't look close!.......Okay
okay, if you could look at it's silhouette then they look simular...

But, ahem da gull wing doors are NOT on the Deluxo........that to me
= non-DeLorean ^_^

> Also, Activision came out with
> a game for the PC called "Interstate '82" a few years ago, and it
has
> a Delorean in it as well.

---Argh, been trying to find pics of this >.< All I could find is the
cover art ^_^

http://www.mobygames.com/game/covers/gameCoverId,7002/gameId,3499

Also, there is a "D" in NFS3-4 (Need For Speed)
And supposedly there's one in Carmageddon.

Take great care EVERYONE!!! (^_^)/```
==Tenchi

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:39:40 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Stain

The usual buzzing you hear, especially when not running is the
frequency valve. Usually the RPM relay starts all that stuff. The
RPM relay may be stuck or sticky and time to replace.

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:11:04 EST
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine replacement

You can always go a little larger with the 300 horse 32V Northstar V8. It has
a bit more pickup than the stock V6, and I believe all you have to modify is
the engine mounts and connection to the driveshaft. I don't quite remember
the company that does this, but I remember picking the information about it
up on a DeLorean with this done to it (in Memphis; DeLorean Car Show). It
looked amazing.

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:23:12 -0000
From: "Adam <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: performance cams????

Can anyone recommend some performance cams for the PRV-6?

what's the lift and duration of the stock cams?

thanks,
adam

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:08:03 -0000
From: "delorean02378 <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <delorean02378_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Service in Tennessee???

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to get my car
serviced around the Tennessee area? It's been about two years since
it's been running. I got all my previous work done in Peach Tree city
by DMC Joe but he is currently not servicing Deloreans.

Here's a list of parts I've already purchased and need to get
installed.
Clutch - included master cylinder
Starter
Antenna Kit
Water Pump.

I'm having a trailer made specifically for the Delorean as we speak
and don't have a problem driving a few hundred miles to get fixed.

Any suggestions?

Travis are you still in the Nashville Area?

Thanks,

Kirk 02378

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:20:15 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I think instead of trying to find a new engine you should be looking
for a new mechanic!!!!! If you are spending $3k a year on your motor
your mechanic is not doing something right!!!! The engine is one of
the most reliable things in the "D" and once the fuel system is set up
and running properly it is also very reliable. The electrical and
cooling systems are the weak links but with the right kind of service
and care they can be made reliable as well. Get in touch with one of
the Delorean venders or a local group of owners and they can help you
find someone that can get you going right. If you were to change the
motor you will find another whole bunch of issues like who knows what
you have in there, what and where to get parts for it, who can service
it, and what it will be worth when you want to sell the car. It will
cost a whole lot more than $3k to do it too.

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:35:08 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 2/23/03 7:17:07 PM Central Standard Time,
adamb35_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I drop about 3K a year on engine repairs for my D.
> Are there any modern motors on the market that are
> compatible with the dimensions for the stock 2.85 Liter?

How long have you been doing this?
and for what reasons?
what needs repair?