From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1406
Date: Monday, March 03, 2003 8:15 PM

1. The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated.
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

2. Re: DeLorean pricing
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

3. Re: [doc] DeLorean Factory Belfast
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

4. Re: DeLorean pricing
From: "dmc_driver <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

5. Re: DeLorean pricing
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. water pump related questions
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

7. Re: how many ?
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: DeLorean pricing
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE:WATER PUMP
From: "geek321y <sales_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>" <sales_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

10. Re: how many ?
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. RE: NEW BTTF Series Premieres March 15!!!
From: "Rob van der Veer" <rob.van.der.veer_at_dml_delorean-europe.com>

12. RE:WATER PUMP
From: "geek321y <sales_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>" <sales_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

13. Re: RE:WATER PUMP
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. Re: RE:WATER PUMP
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: RE:WATER PUMP
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

16. Re: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated.
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

17. Re: Re: DeLorean pricing
From: "trevor Johson" <dmcboy1der_at_dml_hotpop.com>

18. Re: RE:WATER PUMP
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: DeLorean pricing
From: "William Bowie" <wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com>

20. Re: Re: DeLorean pricing
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

21. Re: water pump related questions
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

22. This is so frustrating!!!
From: "supremeadmiralsenn <StadnickAd_at_dml_usa.irene.net>" <StadnickAd_at_dml_usa.irene.net>

23. Long Term Storage
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: DeLorean pricing
From: "dmcmike2002 <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>" <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>

25. Re: This is so frustrating!!!
From: Corey Stup <corey_at_dml_stup.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 17:16:56 -0800
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: The DeLorean Owners Directory has been updated.

      Greetings gang,

The February 2003 edition of the DeLorean Owners Directory is available at:

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

Only owners who have listed their cars in the Directory can obtain a copy of
the Directory. The directory will not be posted publicly in any form and you
can only receive a copy by submitting your information. If you have
submitted your information AFTER February 10 2003 it will be in the next
edition.

To get your copy, send an email requesting a password to
owners(AT)dmcnews.com. Be sure to include your last name and your VIN #. I
will verify that you are in the directory and send you a password by return
email (I do these in batches, so it may take a day or two). If you already
have a password, it will still work for the new edition.

I've also made changes to the submission form. You can now enter 2 cars at a
time to the Directory and there is a new field for adding your DeLorean
related website. These changes, along with a new format will appear with the
next Directory.

About Shannon Yocom's comments on the DOD:

The 'Emergency Contact Only' field was ment to be chosen with the exclusion
of the others, but the form doesn't do any exception checking outside of a
few fields, like the   VIN #. The one that gets me is the 'spare bed'. That
was started by James E. many years ago when this was a MUCH smaller group. I
try to imagine getting a call: "Hi! I have a DeLorean too! Can I sleep at
YOUR place?" 8^)

You can direct questions/comments/help to me at: owners_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Ken Montgomery
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:owners_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:43:34 EST
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean pricing

In a message dated 03/02/2003 2:50:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gardners14_at_dml_cox.net writes:

There is a big difference between a "repair" & "restoration"

I did both routes with two separate cars. Depending on what you want you can
exceed thirty-thousand in a heartbeat.

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:52:43 EST
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: [doc] DeLorean Factory Belfast

Hello everyone,

  Can anyone shed some light on the DMC auction when Belfast closed?

1.  Did another Car manufacturer buy the machinery and equipment from DMC?

2.  What happened to the Tellus Carriers?

3. Does anyone have any of the auction literature from the DMC sale?

Best Regards,
Mike Pack

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:08:21 -0000
From: "dmc_driver <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

I was considering a DMCH car, but the reason I didn't was bacause I
live in Canada, and the U.S dollar/Canadian dollar exchange rate is
terrible.    ($1.00 CDN = aprox. $0.66 USD - do the math!)  Also,
Houston is half a world away from here, so I'd have to spend a small
fortune just to get the car home, not to mention having to deal with
the b.s. of importing the vehicle into Canada, paying duty, etc.

However, if you do buy a $32k Delorean from DMCH, you know you are
getting a top-notch reliable car with no hidden surprises and no
headaches later on.  After all, Deloreans are their business and their
ONLY business, so you can't go wrong with one of their cars.  Now, I
ended up buying mine locally for much less ($17K CDN), but still need
to do all the updates plus many cosmetic repairs, so I'll end up
spending thousands more over the next year or so, before it is even
close to the quality of a DMCH car. That's fine with me though,
because I like the satisfaction of doing the work myself where
possible, and I can still drive the car the way it is in the meantime.

By the way, check out Delorean One's website.  Their refurbished
Deloreans cost $62K...OUCH!

Richard

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:15:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You have to understand what you are getting for that price and what it
costs to get there.
Cost to aquire car to be rebuilt(including transportation)
Parts
Labour
Overhead
Profit
Warranty
Some owners will do the work themselves so take out labour
Some owners will not count anything for overhead (but it costs-ask the
wife!)
If you do your own work you are the warranty
You work cheap so there is no profit except maybe if you sell the car?
Parts, depends on how much you actually do and if you get any used
parts, DMC Houston won't put used parts in.
Depending on how well you buy the car, it's initial condition, and how
nice you want to make it, and of course how much you can do yourself
you could be anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000 when you are all done.
How much would you pay for a new car if you went to your local dealer
and said I'll take that one over there? For anything decent I would
guess it would be somewhere near $30,000. Gee, looking at it like that
the Delorean from Houston could be a good deal. Especially if you are
not too handy or just don't want to get your hands dirty! Many of us
just do it for the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment. Dollars and
cents only enter into the equation because we have to pay the parts
bill! If I only knew then what I know now!!!!!!!! I always recomend to
buy the best car you can afford because anything you have to do will
only cost you more to do then if you can get it that way better!

Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 22:32:43 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: water pump related questions

i plan on doing my water pump and the hoses under the manifold but i have some questions
about some of the parts involved.

there is a coolant Y pipe 102147 under the intake manifold that has these parts in it
102478 lambda sensor and 102405 therm vac switch. since i will be in this area how do i
know if these two parts are bad (102478 and 102405)? what do they do? should i replace
them?

also the thermotime switch 102125 what does it do? should i also replace this too?

thank you
mark
VIN# 6683

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:34:40 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: how many ?

In a message dated 3/2/03 11:51:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
raphael.ferdani_at_dml_wanadoo.fr writes:

<< 8583 Deloreans were built ; how many still exist ? How many on the
 road ?...or project cars ?
 Raphael

The new estimates are that about 9000 were built. Maybe 5 to 6 thousand still
around.

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 14:43:03 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Lets see people justify the $60K+ price tag of Delorean One.  What
do you get for $60K?  Honestly, I would like to know what their
reasoning behind it is.  I don't mean to bash or start a flaming on
Delorean One (although I'm not opposed to it) but honestly, what is
the difference between a DMC Houston reburbished D and a Delorean
One refurbished D?  I think the common answer is going to be $30K.

Do you think if I bought a car from D1 they would let me buy parts
from them?

Erik Geerdink
04512

Depending on the moderator I bet this post won't get through.

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:45:50 -0000
From: "geek321y <sales_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>" <sales_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>
Subject: RE:WATER PUMP

DML:
I have a 1981 that has larger then usual gap on the left door I was
told that that is typical of early model car I don't buy that excuse
is there something I could do about it without rehanging the door
it's only .5 larger and the door shut perfect but to me it's 2 feet

Ken
VIN#02700

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:14:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

It all depends on who you ask! :-) The traditional production figure states 8583 DeLoreans were made. But I believe recent reviews have found there to more in the neighborhood of 9200. Some people think more than 10,000 were made! The number of survivors also varies on who you ask. The most common number thrown around is 6000... which is a pretty incredible survival rate for a classic. I believe I heard recently where DMC-Houston said that there are around 7000 left. It sounds to me like more and more are being discovered every day... and are being brought back to life.

Louie Golden

Don't be left out! Register today for the 2003 DMC Open House Event at http://www.delorean.com/2003event.asp

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:03:59 +0100
From: "Rob van der Veer" <rob.van.der.veer_at_dml_delorean-europe.com>
Subject: RE: NEW BTTF Series Premieres March 15!!!

Wow. And that on my birthday.. That sure makes an owner proud...

Rob.

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 18:30:35 -0000
From: "geek321y <sales_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>" <sales_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

DML:
Has anyone ever tried installing a 12v water pump as primary or
backup on their dmc what would be the pro's and con's

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:37:48 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: RE:WATER PUMP

Well I've seen a right-hander with a prototype door that's 1/2" wider than the other,
resulting in a big gap where the roof meets the quarter panel.

My early car has the opposite problem: both doors are too long - only by a fraction, but
they both bang on the ends of the striker pins quite badly, unless the door is shut
really carefully. I've seen one car where the end of the striker has been cut off to
remedy the problem of the latch banging, it's of a similar age to mine.

Chris Nicholson is making me a set of stainless striker pins that are 2mm shorter than
stock.

#4426 (doors shut perfectly)

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 16:35:52 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

sales_at_dml_techno-concepts.com writes:

<< DML:
 Has anyone ever tried installing a 12v water pump as primary or
 backup on their dmc what would be the pro's and con's

Ken, I have been watching for one I could adapt to the Delorean. The other
problem is the current draw on the system. If you will look at the set up I
don't think it will be to easy. I'm looking anyway.
I also have plenty of water pumps in stock at a good price.

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:44:27 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Why? They're not all that expensive and are only a "common" failure item because many
cars are still running on the original pump - with that kind of life-expectancy, give me
a stock one again! FWIW it cross-references to the Renault 30 TX (same pulley too).

Oh, and for the "jobs to do" when intake manifold is off, check the state of the metal
pump that feeds the back of the water pump - the one that runs under the "Y" pipe. It's
very susceptible to rusting and a coat of Hammerite* is a good idea. Do not be tempted to
replace this with a flexible hose, the water pump sucks through this hose and a soft pipe
may collapse.

* Rust protection paint, can be applied to a rusty surface.

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:33:57 -0500
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

Hello Ken,

 Nice job on the update.... Can you please update my email address in the directory to: henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com. thanks,

-Hank Eskin VIN 1619
Brookline, Massachusetts.

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:39:11 -0800
From: "trevor Johson" <dmcboy1der_at_dml_hotpop.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean pricing

without getting into this, the reasoning behing $62k is simple. The original
cost of a DeLorean, with inflation. A brand new corvette, runs about $45k to
$50k, (approx.). Back in 1981, the DeLoreans base price (again, approx) was
about $25-26k. Corvettes, were only in the range of $16-$19k, DeLorean One
is not just selling a refurbished car. What they produce are as close to a
new car as you can get now adays. Don't respond to yell at me about d-1, or
Ed, That isn't why i posted this... and don't point out that the corvettes
of today are completely different cars than the ones in the eighties... I am
aware of this. The point is, They do sell these cars at 62,500, enough so
that DMC-H decided to join in, and do it as well, (as well as PJ Grady). If
someone is selling these cars for this amount, who are we to argue over what
makes it worth that much. I for one would love to sell either of my cars for
even half that. Both are immaculate, concours winners, but the most we could
probably get is 25-28k, By selling cars for these amounts, (62,500 and 35k)
they are helping to raise the value of the DeLorean. Having purchased a
refurbished car myself, i can say it is probably the nicest DeLorean I have
ever seen, and if you can put down the $$$, I would strongly suggest doing
so.

Trevor Johnson
#4055, and #6974

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:11:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

For an interesting site on Electric Water Pumps (both
primary and booster) check out
<www.daviescraig.com.au>.  These people are very
knowledgeable and their products are highly regarded.

With the heat generated by my turbos, being somewhat
concerned with "heat soak", and with a insatiable
desire for earlier spool-up, I am thinking seriously
of trying their device.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:55:08 -0500
From: "William Bowie" <wbowie_at_dml_sc.rr.com>

I'd buy one if they(D 1) had a finance department and didn't require half
down and half on delivery.
And as far as driving up the value, that only makes it harder for others
trying to live the dream.  And according to what I've read so far, JZD was
trying to make an affordable sports car. Besides wouldn't the production of
"new" Ds be bad for those hoping to have a valuable car?  I think the only
time the value will go up will be when ALL the parts at DMC, D-1, and others
are gone.

Just my .02
:-)

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 18:01:15 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

well i would rather buy 2 refurbished deloreans from DMCH than only 1 from delorean1.
DMCH has more bang for the buck IMHO.

i sent a email to delorean1 and asked them whats the difference between their refurb
delorean and DMCH's and they never replied.

mark
6683

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:14:23 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: water pump related questions

Mark, Answers below..

there is a coolant Y pipe 102147 under the intake manifold that has these
parts in it
102478 lambda sensor and 102405 therm vac switch. since i will be in this
area how do i know if these two parts are bad (102478 and 102405)? what do
they do? should i replace.

 ( If the car is running properly, then I wouldn't replace sensors  But, I
would take them out and clean the exposed ends to the water and use Teflon
tape to replace them.)

Also the thermotime switch 102125 what does it do? should i also replace this
too?

( Since the thermal time switch doesn't go out very often, then I would do
the same thing. Clean the exposed ends and re use.)
 thank you
Mark, One other thing I would do. I would replace the green air vac switch in
the internal water pipe. It's the one on the left side of the internal water
pipe. Being that it is mechanical, if it doesn't move internally to re direct
the vacuum, you could have advance problems. It's a moving part where the
others are not.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

 VIN# 6683

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 00:21:31 -0000
From: "supremeadmiralsenn <StadnickAd_at_dml_usa.irene.net>" <StadnickAd_at_dml_usa.irene.net>
Subject: This is so frustrating!!!

Well, I told my dad that I was going to call Insurance Company X to
see about possibly getting a policy in both of our names, when he
suddenly tells me for the first time that it wouldn't accomplish what
I was hoping. Then he tells me, weeks after the fact, that he's
already seen about having a De Lorean added to his and my mom's
policy. Turns out it would be less than half the cost of the last
company I called. But when I ask him why he won't help me buy a D, he
only says it's impossible to get insurance! So, I could afford the
insurance, but I'd have to find a VERY considerate owner who'd let me
pay in installments, since, being 15, I can't get a loan. I know, I
shouldn't even be trying without being at least 16, but the earlier I
start looking the better my chances are. Just needed to vent instead
of smacking him with my SNO_BIRD poster. (Not a good idea, it's
original and pricelsee to me).

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 19:58:54 EST
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Long Term Storage

Hello List,
     I plan on moving to Montana when school gets out this spring.
Unfortunately I must leave the DeLorean in Michigan at my rents place.  I
don't think it can make the commute up to Big Sky during the winter.

If my car was to sit for 3-4 years. what should I do?  Will it be necessary
to completely drain the fuel system? I replaced nearly every component in the
fuel system exept the gas tank and fuel dist so I don't want that going to
hell again. I don't want to come back in a few years and have a pile of sh*t
again.  I plan on doing the following.

Flush all coolant
Amsoil Oil change
Flush all brake fluid out(last done in spring)
put up in air a bit(to save new shocks & tires)
Drain gas?  what do you think?
Detail car, condition interior

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Thanks

Peace

Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 01:18:13 -0000
From: "dmcmike2002 <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>" <billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com>

As everyone has already said you will easily reach $25-$30k+ during
the early years of owning this car. You will always find things you
WANT to fix and there will be things you HAVE to fix...

The question you have to ask to yourself is if you want to send your
payment to your bank for the loan or to VISA for the credit card
payments.....I am doing both :-)

Mike C

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 20:43:34 -0500
From: Corey Stup <corey_at_dml_stup.net>
Subject: Re: This is so frustrating!!!

> So, I could afford the
> insurance, but I'd have to find a VERY considerate owner who'd let me
> pay in installments, since, being 15, I can't get a loan. I know, I
> shouldn't even be trying without being at least 16...

You shouldn't even be trying without being at least 25.