From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1416
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 11:13 AM

1. door strut
From: "delorean3543" <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. ATLANTA ST.PATRICK'S DAY PARADE
From: "delor_01" <JOHN.JORDAN_at_dml_ED.GOV>

3. Re: major frame repair - need advice
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Coolant hose replacement
From: "Adam" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Counterfeit Cashier's Checks
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. AW: door strut
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

7. Re: major frame repair - D frames available
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

8. Interesting VIN anomaly
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

9. Re: Coolant hose replacement
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: Coolant hose replacement
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

11. Re: Delorean for Sale
From: aabclafon_at_dml_aol.com

12. RE: major frame repair - need advice
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

13. Re: Re: Coolant hose replacement
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

14. Project Car Alert
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. buzzer / courtesy lights / fuel pump
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

16. RE: major frame repair - need advice
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Re:Coolant hose replacement
From: "Adam" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:43:48 -0000
From: "delorean3543" <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: door strut

a while back someone mentioned a door strut that could be pumped up
with more pressure to correct door sag in cold weather. Does anyone
know where to purchace these?

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:58:23 -0000
From: "delor_01" <JOHN.JORDAN_at_dml_ED.GOV>
Subject: ATLANTA ST.PATRICK'S DAY PARADE

HEY!  Y'ALL  (THAT'S SOUTHERN FOR HELLO)

SOUTHEAST DELOREAN OWNERS CLUB (SEDOC) WILL PARTICIPATE IN THE ST.
PATRICK'S DAY PARADE IN ATLANTA THIS SATURDAY MARCH 15TH.

THIS IS A GREAT EVENT AND WILL HAVE OVER 200 ENTRIES

ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN SEDOC IN THIS EVENT

CONTACT JOHN JORDAN  PRESIDENT AT 404 562 6075 OR 404 316 0673 TO
JOIN US,  INFORMATION FOR THE PARADE CAN BE HAD AT
WWW.STPATSPARADEATLANTA.COM

RE:

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:34:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: major frame repair - need advice

Andy & others

Don Steger has  two "restored" frames hanging in his
shop (or, he did when I visited him a couple of months
ago).  One had been powder coated and the other had
been zinc galvanized.

Dick Ryan

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:08:04 -0000
From: "Adam" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Coolant hose replacement

Do you know of an online store where I can order some Gates Green
Stripe coolant hose?

I am having endless badluck with my delorean. I found a coolant leak
last night due to my lights becoming dim and my alternator belt
squeeking. The alternator belt has cut a hole in the RH coolant pipe
and the coolant was making the belt slip. The coolant sprayed out and
hit the belt and flung it all over the effing engine compartment.

thanks,
Adam Price
vin 16683 delorean of doom

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Toby Peterson <tobyp_at_dml_k...>"

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:45:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Counterfeit Cashier's Checks

For anyone selling a car these days you need to be aware that people
are now conterfeiting cashier's checks. They will look perfect. The
only way to know if it is good is to call the bank and verify the
check with the seriel #, amount, date, remitter, and payee. Obviously
you cannot do this on a weekend. If you must accept a cashier's check
(a bank check) DO NOT LET THE PERSON HAVE THE CAR OR THE TITLE UNTIL
YOU CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH THE BANK. Unless they can give you cash do
not conduct business on the weekend or a holiday. Once you sign the
title and the car is gone all you will be left with is a worthless
piece of paper that will cost you a bounce check charge if you deposit
it. Whenever doing business like this record the person's driver's
license and plate on his car "just in case". 99% of the time this
won't be necessary. It seems it isn't just "buyer beware"!!!!!! A
variation  going around, especially from the internet, is a forgien
buyer sending MORE than your asking price and then asking you to send
him the balance. Now not only are you out your mechandise but you also
sent him REAL money. Be careful out there.

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:09:35 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: door strut

this was me.

they can be bought at ADrian Roth, Delorean Club Germany.
www.delorean.de
then click on  "Markt"
and afterwards on "DeLorean Club Deutschland"

This is what is says in German:
Ersatzteile
Gasdruckdämpfer für die Türen Druck einstellbar  Paar  95,- EUR

that's a pair for about 100$.

I used a pump for air prssurized guns and pumpe dthem up to 170 Bar
after they had lost air or after I had them set too weak.

just send Adrian an email

Regards,

Elvis

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:52:01 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: major frame repair - D frames available

Andy,

I currently have one manual frame that is in excellent, un-restored
condition that was removed from an interior fire damaged Delorean.
The only area of the frame that is fire scorched is the area near
the top of the 5-speed shifter, which can be easily refinished.

I also have two automatic frames that need work:  One from an engine
fire damaged Delorean and one that has minor, repairable frame rust
damage.  Neither frame has rust through damage and automatic frames
can be easily modified to be used with a manual Delorean.

No guarantee any of these will be available next year, but I may
consider offering payment plans on frames, similar to my payment
plans for my refurbished Deloreans, and in some cases, project cars.
If there is enough interest, I will consider payments for frames.

Hope this helps.

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:37:56 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Interesting VIN anomaly

In the shop today we have a car with a VIN plate reading 16190 - Aug 1982
build date. But on the doors under the headliners it says 11190 and has the
date 4/1/82 (January 4, 1982). Does anyone know of VIN 11190? Knut
Grimsrud's excellent VIN chronology goes from 11174 to 11231...using Eric
Pullen VIN Check digit calculator (www.ericpullen.com/checkdigit.html) we
can tell that if 11190 does exist, the VIN would be (SCEDT26T6CD011190).
Does anyone have a Carfax account to run this VIN and see if 11190 shows up
in their system? That may be an indicator if that VIN ever existed, or if it
was one of the presumed "skipped" numbers.

James Espey
Still searching for skipped VIN's

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:42:02 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Can not use bulk hose there -- will not make the bend without a kink
and will not fit the water pump. Order a formed hose from D vendor.
Can be expressed if time critical.

Bulk hose used to connect pipe sections from engine compartment to
radiator. I went one step further and replaced as many sections as
possible with long hoses altogether. Used NAPA fleet hose (yellow
stripe?). Is beefier than formed hoses from D vendor. Have excess left
over (had to buy 50 foot roll) -- will sell _at_dml_ $3.00 per foot. Contact
me direct: brobertson(at)carolina.net.

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:43:22 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Adam - Rather than calling your car "DeLorean of Doom", why don't call
it "DeLorean requiring extra Diligence"?  Sorry - Just had to toss
that one out.  I got my Green Stripe at NAPA.  Any store that carries
Gates products should be able to get it for you.  I had a similar
problem with one of my hoses interfering with a drive belt.  I run a
Delco alternator that places the belt in a slightly different position
than the old alternator.  I didn't pick up on the wear until I was
doing a routine check of belts, hoses, seals, etc. looking for future
problems. I guess the point is that routine inspections can be very
helpful in preventing damage and keeping the overall reliability up.
Winged1 has been quite reliable for me, with only a few challenges
over the last few years that were mostly my fault for not catching
them before they became problems (OEM TAB's, corroded fuel pump,
suspension bushing wear).

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:14:06 EST
From: aabclafon_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean for Sale

Dear Group,

I still must sell my Delorean.

Automatic
Year: 1981
Vin:    2578
Miles:  26,492
Gas Flap Hood
Black Interior - Good Condition
Rear Louvres and door struts are o.k.
Heat/Air AM/FM and cassette works
Almost a complete set of Delorean World Magazines.
Damage to driver side mirror.
Runs good  2.85 liter V6 Engine.
Pictures available aupon request.

Do to financial situation I must depart with my Delorean.   D is located in
Brownsburg, West of Indianapolis.
Would like to sell for $14,000 or best offer

Please respond to:   aabclafon(at)aol.com

Thanks
David L.

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:46:11 -0600
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

I did a frame restoration.  My suggestion is to:
- Remove everything form the frame
- Determine if the frame is worth saving

If Good:

- Have it sandblasted
- Then patch the bad spots.  I used SS in some of the areas most lilky to
rust again

Then I did the following:
- Zinc Chromate the frame
- Base layer of zinc rich epoxy
- Finish epoxy coat of color matched to original

When taking things off the frame
- label everything,
- soak all fasteners in WD40 AND LET THEM SIT (I was less patient and broke
a lot of nuts)
- Arrange the parts on a board in relative position,
- Put nuts and bolts back together and with their relative parts (you'll
thank me for that one later :-)

Don't try to spot fix the frame before the restoration.

and good luck,

Nick

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:30:38 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Coolant hose replacement

Andy, The belt will flex up and down as the go around. Don't try to adjust
all the flex out. If you do then the belt would be so tight that it will put
the alternator in a strain. With the wrong hose on the water pump or
adjusting without enough clearance, this will eat into the hose.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

<<

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 02:52:57 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Project Car Alert

Following Ad just posted at www.dmcnews.com. See contact info there.

I have purchased a 1981 Delorean. I am a Texas Dealer and purchased
it from an estate sale. I will have it on March 15th, 2003. I do not
know the value of this car. I will sell it here for the highest offer
over $4500. that I receive. Otherwise I will be placing it on eBay
with a $4500. reserve. Here are the stats:

1981 Delorean, VIN SCEDT26T0BD005092, Mileage 52,722, 6 Cyl Gas
Engine, Manual 5 Spd, Bucket Seats, Carpet Floor Mats, AC, PB, PL,
PW, AM/FM Radio; BAD ENGINE, DOES NOT RUN

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:21:09 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: buzzer / courtesy lights / fuel pump

is there a buzzer for the ignition switch when the keys are left in the car?

i have a switch that turns off my courtesy lights on my car so it doesnt kill the
battery when the doors are left open. i was wondering if there is a picture how to do
this modification so i can move my switch to a different location so i dont have to tear
apart the whole car to figure out where these wires are spliced into so i can move them
safely.

i would also like to install a fuel pump switch so i can cut the power to the fuel pump
when i leave the car unattended so it wont get stolen till i can get an alarm on the
car. is there a picture or diagram how to do this safely?

thank you
mark

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:25:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

One thing I have discovered is the car comes apart
realitivly easy. Buy stock in WD 40 your going to need
alot of it lol. Actually alot of the bolts are
neapreme nuts or some other type of lock fastening nut
so they tend to not rust in place like 100% metal
nuts. Seperate the pontoon from the frame roll it out
into the open and take a good look at it. I sugesst
heating the epoxy with a tourch and scrapeing it off
then removing any residual with a high quality paint
remover. you can the scrub the frame grind out bad
spots, weld in new parts and coat the entire frame in
either a powder coat or a fexable type of paint that
will move with the frame as opposed to cracking like
the epoxy. Not sure about sandblast a frame, if youve
ever done it, it strips off a bit to much metal for my
taste. Also Galving from what I've heard can cause a
frame to warp if it is done in a dip solution.

just my .o2

Todd
Vin 5386

=====
For up to the minute details on the restoration of Vin5386 point your browser to, http://www.khpindustries.com/stainlessrestorations.html

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:51:04 -0000
From: "Adam" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Thanks for the replies everyone. Well I ordered the correct hose for
the job from SpecialT. I shouldn't have any problems installing it.
Even though something is always blowing up, I still love my car.

Adam
16683 "Delorean of Diligence" >8^)