From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1417
Date: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 10:45 AM

1. deloreans do float...
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>

2. RE: Project Car Alert (BEWARE!)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

3. Re: Interesting VIN anomaly
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Interesting VIN anomaly
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Re: Cooling Fan Failure.
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

6. Re: Chicago St. Patrick's Day Parade March 15th
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

7. Re: Interesting VIN anomaly
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

8. Re: RE: Project Car Alert (BEWARE!)
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

9. RE: RE: Project Car Alert (BEWARE!)
From: "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

10. Re: RE: Project Car Alert (BEWARE!)
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Brake Fluid
From: "Jason Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

12. Re: Re: Cooling Fan Failure.
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Re: buzzer / courtesy lights / fuel pump
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: buzzer / courtesy lights / fuel pump
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>

15. Re: buzzer / courtesy lights / fuel pump
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>

16. Curious Question
From: "Darin Wolf" <son_darin_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: deloreans do float...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Spring Fever?
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>

19. Re: Re: Interesting VIN anomaly
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. WATER PUMP POLL
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

21. Exterior Mirror
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>

22. Re: Brake Fluid
From: "outatym2001" <markman660_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Brake Fluid
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Re: Cooling Fan Failure.
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

25. Re:Coolant hose replacement
From: klaus.steiner_at_dml_t-online.de

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:17:26 -0800
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: deloreans do float...

well I thought that I would relate a story. a few weeks ago in calif. we had
a big rain storm.  on my way back to work I hit some slow moving cars and
was rather pissed cause I was late.  well I noticed the small puddle was
getting deeper and deeper and soon found the reason for traffic... a river
had formed running across the road.  cause it was too late to stop and I
know from my offroading experience tat the worst thing to do is to slow the
engine down.  if you do the backpressure in the exhaust causes the engine to
stall and now your stuck.  so I got the engine going around 3000rpm and
worked my way through, clutch slipping all the way.  I really got nervous
when the car started to move sideways and then even more scared when water
started to come in the bottom of the doors.  I could feel and see the
delorean lift as it started to float (the words pontoon body came to mind).
when I got to work I managed to mop up about 1/4 of a gallon of water from
the foot wells.  I was also told by someone who stopped by my work that
because of the massive amount of steam put out as the delorean passed into
the water one or two people called the cops cause they thought my car was on
fire

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:22:50 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: RE: Project Car Alert (BEWARE!)

This car can be seen here:

http://www.renebates.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?bates16/category/AUTOMOBILES

This auction ENDS on March 14th. The auction company says that the car HAS
NOT BEEN SOLD, so this advertiser DOES NOT YET OWN THE CAR. The auction
company says that ANYONE can bid on this car by becoming a registered bidder
($100 refundable deposit). The current bid is at $3100...

James

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:11:47 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Interesting VIN anomaly

When I put in the 11190 into that calculator I came up with

SCEDT26T8BD011190

Erik Geerdink

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, James Espey <james_at_dml_u...> wrote:
> In the shop today we have a car with a VIN plate reading 16190 -
Aug 1982
> build date. But on the doors under the headliners it says 11190
and has the
> date 4/1/82 (January 4, 1982). Does anyone know of VIN 11190? Knut
> Grimsrud's excellent VIN chronology goes from 11174 to
11231...using Eric
(www.ericpullen.com/checkdigit.html) we
> can tell that if 11190 does exist, the VIN would be
(SCEDT26T6CD011190).

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:14:13 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I went to carfax and entered the vin you gave AND the VIN that I
came up with when I went to the calculator.  Neither appeared in the
Carfax database.

Erik

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:41:42 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Cooling Fan Failure.

My D was originally Harold's and I can attest that the non-cycling fans work well.  In
Texas, the A/C compressor spends most if it's life engaged and thus the fans would too.
I see no benefit in letting the fans take a 2 second rest every 30 seconds or so.  My
electronics have never melted down, my A/C works great, and during the summer my temp
gauge remains fixed between the 1st and 2nd notch.

FWIW

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX
110k miles and counting

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:47:37 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Chicago St. Patrick's Day Parade March 15th

Attention Delorean Enthusiasts,

The Delorean Midwest Connection club has secured their lowest staging
number ever in the Chicago St. Pat's Day parade, number 37.  This is
neary 100 less than last year, so this will virtually secure that we
will have local TV and nation-wide cable coverage within the first
hour of the two hour coverage of the parade.  And, the forecast for
Saturday is sunny and neary 60 degrees (our best parade weather yet).

So if you are a club member or have a D within driving distance to
attend the parade, dust it off, gas it up and meet us downtown.  If
you need more details, check the Delorean Midwest Connection website
Events link at: http://www.delorean-midwest.org (contact Guy Avelon).

If you cannot make the parade, tune in to WGN TV on nation-wide cable
or set your VCR's between 12 noon and 2pm (Central Time).

With the excellent staging number and excellent weather forecast, we
hope to have our best showing ever at the parade this year.

Hope to see you there.  And Yes, D Rex will be there too.

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:05:40 -0600
From: Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins_at_dml_uno.edu>

Carfax has no record for that VIN.

- Farrar

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:47:22 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Project Car Alert (BEWARE!)

>From the auction site below:

  BAD ENGINE, DOES NOT RUN;
  NEEDS VOLVO BOAT MOTOR TO MAKE IT STOCK

I guess DeLoreans *do* float.  LOL!

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:20:07 -0500
From: "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

[Moderator's note: There were several more postings pointing out the boat motor item that were dropped as redundant since they all pointed out the exact same thing.]

And I quote:
BAD ENGINE, DOES NOT RUN; NEEDS VOLVO BOAT MOTOR TO MAKE IT STOCK

Did I miss something? Boat motor? Unless Volvo Penta marine engines are
what they are referring to.

So whaddya say? Whose feeling daring and wants to try to shoehorn a
Volvo Penta 3GXi SX engine in this? 225hp sounds pretty good, eh?

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
Webmaster, http://www.88-mph.com

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:26:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Pete Berveiler <zamphyr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Is anyone going to attempt to purchase this vehicle?
I do not want to get inot a competitive bid with the
nice people in this group... :)  Please let me know
ASAP!

Pete

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:05:14 -0800
From: "Jason Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Brake Fluid

        Hello All,
                   I think spring may actually be here now so it's time to get the aprilia and delorean ready
to come out. I would like to flush the brake fluid and replace with new but I can't remember what kind
of fluid was recommended. I tried searching the archives but didn't see it anywhere. I'm thinking it was
castrol of some kind. Can anyone tell me?   Also, is there anything else I should do to the calipers or
master cylinder while I'm at it?

                               Thanks in advance.....................Jason #5903

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:11:24 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Bob Zilla's point is that the wiring may (not WILL, but MAY) overheat on
some cars. I disagree too however, I think that the amount of time the
fans stay on when the coolant thermostat trips to cool the engine alone
lasts long enough to root out any adverse effects for running the fans
continuously. In other words, if the wiring lasts for the 2 minutes that
takes, it'll last when running the fans constantly with AC (which I do
too FWIW).

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:42:31 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: buzzer / courtesy lights / fuel pump

<< Is there a buzzer for the ignition switch when the keys are left in the
car?
( Mark, Yes there is a buzzer. It may not be working, but there is one.)

 i have a switch that turns off my courtesy lights on my car so it doesnt
kill the
 battery when the doors are left open. i was wondering if there is a picture
how to do
 this modification so i can move my switch to a different location so i dont
have to tear apart the whole car to figure out where these wires are spliced
into so i can move them safely. ( Why don't you put a battery cut off switch
in the battery box or on the battery box cover.That will solve that.>

 i would also like to install a fuel pump switch so i can cut the power to
the fuel pump when i leave the car unattended so it wont get stolen till i
can get an alarm on the car. is there a picture or diagram how to do this
safely?
 ( Mark, You can do this by tripping the Inertia switch with your left foot.
If you just want to put a switch in, then I can show you several places to
wire it in.)
John hervey
www.specialTauto.com

 thank you
 mark

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:55:42 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>

Mark,

There are several ways to do this. You can install Volvo switches
that lock in to keep your lights off. They're cheap at $4 each. You
can tap into the wiring at the door switches or remote the switch you
have now. On my car the lights automatically go out after 5 minutes
if either door is left open. This requires installing an off the
shelf interval timer.

The fuel pump wiring is best accessed at the inertia switch. (You
could pull the switch as a form of anti-theft but that also unlocks
your doors.) Email me if you need help on any of these details,
including an all in one alarm/remote starter/keyless entry unit that
you can install for a very decent price.

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:14:33 -0600
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>

> i would also like to install a fuel pump switch so i can
> cut the power to the fuel pump when i leave the car
> unattended so it wont get stolen

You're in luck...you've already got one!  (Or should, at least.)

It's your inertia switch, located in the driver's footwell.  You'll find it
either near the lambda counter behind the brake pedal or attached to the
left wall of the footwell area just behind the luggage compartment release
lever.  Just pull the plunger up when you leave the car, and push it back
down when you return.

For photos, plus details on how to tell if your car has had the inertia
switch update, check out Hank Eskin's helpful reference page at
http://www.eskin.net/firstdelorean.html

__________________
Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov '81)

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:36:07 -0000
From: "Darin Wolf" <son_darin_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Curious Question

I wonder if there is anyone out there willing to help me with a tiny
project.  I've been modifying a DeLorean downloadable for the game
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit.  The car model has been rearranged
several times to get the correct appeal, and the gearing and horse
power has been tweaked to estimate performance.  There is one major
problem I have before the primary product is completed,  I need two
images measured appropriately in order to help the project along the
way.  Basically, I am needing a picture of the driver's view and a
separated steering wheel.

Because of the extremities I would suggest that anyone willing to
offer help contact me for those crucial details such as sample
pictures that I have to show exactly what I need for the project.

I honestly wouldn't ask anyone to pry their steering wheels off, but
if there's no harm, that works to a better advantage, and adds some
slight realism.

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:32:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: deloreans do float...

Most of the damage caused by deep water won't be noticed for a while.
You should remove all of the carpets and dry completly to eliminate
any mildew. You should regrease EVERYTHING under the car. Inspect the
C/V joints or better yet regrease them too. Make sure no water is
trapped inside the frame like inside the crumple tubes and the engine
mounts. Clean all of the grounding points. Expect things to go bad
like the horns, cooling fan motors, and starter. This won't happen
soon so you won't connect the flooding with the failures but it will
happen. Change the engine oil and trans fluid too. Any wiring plugs
that where low enough to get wet should be opened, cleaned and
reseated. Ditto for any bulbs like the front parking lights and
directionals and side markers. You might want to consider making an
insurance claim for this if you have the coverage (in that case call
the broker for an adjuster before doing ANYTHING). The sooner you get
to it the less damage and corrosion there will be. Treat this as
seriously as you can as this will cause a lot of damage. It could also
cause the wheel bearings to die prematurely because the grease got
washed out. Flooding can do a lot of damage but it is invisible and
doesn't happen quickly like a fire.

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:58:20 -0000
From: "media1524" <brentlun_at_dml_netrax.net>
Subject: Spring Fever?

Hello List,

I just witnessed this a couple of hours ago.  I was pumping gas into
VIN #17006 at the local convenience store on the corner of the main
road near my house. I was getting the usual pointing and open mouthed
stares. A semi was stopped at the traffic light waiting to turn right
onto the main road. I looked around and saw the female passenger in a
car talking to the driver and pointing at my car.  The driver must
have looked over at my car too because he kissed the back of the semi
at about 5MPH, crunching his hood. This happened just minutes after a
woman ran a stop sign as I was making a turn.  Its a good thing Rob
Grady just overhauled my brakes. Be careful out there people, I think
Spring fever is setting in.

Brent Lundgren
1983 VIN #17006
1981 VIN #3049

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:07:58 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Interesting VIN anomaly

My car doesn't appear in Carfax either though. I imported it from NC 18
months ago. It came with a Virginia title.

SCEDT26T7BD001458

Martin

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:17:08 -0600
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: WATER PUMP POLL

I am about to do all of the hoses on my car and i need your help. My water pump is
working and not leaking and i have 52,000 miles on my car. I have been told to replace
it but that is where i need your help. I want to know if you still have your original
pump and how many miles are on your car so i can decide if i should just buy a new pump.

I created a poll so i can see the failure rate of the pump by how many miles are on your
car.

Thanks for your help
Mark

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:05:35 -0500
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Exterior Mirror

Does any one have a driver side motor for sale?

The motor works on the car but the connecting part of
the glass is broke and will not stay in. If I use glue it will stay in
but the motor will not move the mirror at all. And right now you can see
absolutely nothing which makes over taking quite scary.
The car needs a state inspection soon and I don't
think it will pass it the way it is.

Thanks

Twigger family

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:32:23 -0000
From: "outatym2001" <markman660_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid

Hello, Jason.
     Please read post # 26934 here on the DeLorean Mailing List and
you will find your answer to your brake fluid question.  Or if you
would rather have an answer now it's Castrol GTLMA brake fluid (DOT
4).
     I personally use Super Blue Racing brake fluid imported from
Germany.  Bought it in Seattle, WA at AutoSport.  The 1 litre can
cost about $9 and on it's label it states Dry boiling point: 280
degrees C (536 F), 50 C (122 F) above DOT 4.  Wet boiling point: 200
C (392 F), 45 C (113 F) above DOT 4.  I sincerely hope the brake
fluid you get has some recommendations on how often to change it and
some caution or warning labels.
     Boy was I an IDIOT (here on the DML you are only allowed to call
yourself an IDIOT) when I bought this brake fluid.  The guy behind
the counter tells me all the guys who race cars use this stuff.  And
the reason it's called Super Blue Racing cause it's blue.  Then I
ask, "Well can I still see through it to check for any contaminates
in the brake fluid reservoir?"  He checks with some one and they
say, "Yes."  Bull $&!:(!  The fluid is too dark when the reservoir is
full to see anything but dark, dark blue.  Now, I just assume there
are no contaminates.
     When bleeding the brakes just take a look around and check that
you have at least some life left in your brake pads and there is no
extraordinary amount of dirt around the brake calipers it could mean
you have fluid leaking and dirt is attracted to it.

Mark R. Vanyo VIN #02261
Not afraid to sign his name.
Yahoo! ID  outatym2001
outatym = my license plate, 2001 = the year I bought my 'D'

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:04:08 EST
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

Castrol GTLMA....You can bleed the brakes with this. Buy at any auto parts
store like Pep Boys etc. Get 2 large bottles. Just make sure you have enough
in the master cylinder resevoir at all times so it does not run low while
bleeding. As far as your brake calipers the only warning to heed that I have
heard from David Teitelbaum, whom I trust, and other members/mechanics is
that bleeding your calipers can lead to failure of the seals. Remember, these
calipers are 20+ years old and as I have found on other parts of the car,
bleeding and flushing fluids seems to uncover problems with old seals...

Even though bleeding brakes is neccesary, I would keep it in the back of your
mind there is a chance you may need to replace them after bleeding.

Good Luck!
Mike C

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:30:13 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Group, I thought we beat this up last year. The fans can be adjusted to cycle
on and off two or three ways. Even if they stay on like some people have hard
wired them to do then in cooler weather ( maybe less than 90 degrees just run
on one fan ) if you want fans on all the time.
#1.Low pressure switch can be adjusted.
#2. If freon is low then it will cycle all the time.
#3. Don't run on max all the time. This is why it cycles so much. If you will
run on normal and maybe add a little heat the A/C  won't cycle as much.
#4. I have seen Circuit breakers burned up for the fans, Fan fail melted, Fan
relays burnt bad. Fuses melted, But I haven't seen the wires burned because
fans ran all the time.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

.

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:00:36 +0100 (CET)
From: klaus.steiner_at_dml_t-online.de
Subject: Re:Coolant hose replacement

Adam,

you can cover the coolant hoses with stainless steel flex-hoses
available in every racing-shop. So the belts can't cut the hoses. See
my car:

www.steinerklaus.de/dmc/dcd2002/Seiten/Dsc01591.htm

Klaus and 05980
all hoses from silicone and ss-covered