From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1422
Date: Monday, March 17, 2003 9:46 AM

1. Re: WGN Coverage of the Chicago St. Patricks Day Parade
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

2. Re: WGN Coverage of the Chicago St. Patricks Day Parade
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

3. Re: poor idle finally solved?....
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

4. Parade & D in commercial
From: gonedeaf85_at_dml_aol.com

5. factory updates
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

6. RE: Electrical Mess
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

7. Re: WGN Coverage of the Chicago St. Patricks Day Parade
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

8. Re: WGN Coverage of the Chicago St. Patricks Day Parade
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>

9. Re: WGN Coverage of the Chicago St. Patricks Day Parade
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

10. Re: factory updates
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>

11. Re: Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans
From: "Charlie g" <charlie_az_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: PRV and Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

13. Alternator
From: "Jason Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>

14. Front suspension damage
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

15. Re: Shifter knobs
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

16. Re: Re: Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

17. Re: Re: PRV and Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

18. Re: Shifter knobs
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

19. Re: Alternator
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans
From: "Dan" <danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:47:40 -0500
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: WGN Coverage of the Chicago St. Patricks Day Parade

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: There was another half dozen postings all pointing out the same problem that I dropped since Marty probably doesn't need more than one note pointing out the issue.]

  Thanks for the clip Marty - I'd love to see it... and I don't know if anyone else on the list is having this problem, but I can't play this clip on three different computers using MS Media Player, WinAmp,Real, VideoWav, Quicktime, etc.  The programs can not find an appropriate decompressor or codec.  Can your friend possibly re-encode it with a more widespread and/or available codec?

thanks,

-Hank #1619

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 11:05:18 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

For those in the Chicago area.

Q101 radio station is advertising  on TV using a Delorean.  It is only
like a 15 second commercial so it  happens real fast.  you see a window
shot and few others and then the front grill showing DMC with flames
shooting from it.

Hope somebuy can get a video of it.

BOB

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 22:12:27 EST
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: poor idle finally solved?....

my wild guesstimate is that these wires are used for automatics only and are
not connected for 5 speeds....they just dangle. Mine are not connected to
anything either and I have a 5-speed. I thought i heard this somewhere on the
DML. I am sure another member may be able to give more info and support this
or give us the place to connect it.

Mike C

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:13:13 EST
From: gonedeaf85_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Parade & D in commercial

Hello everyone!! The St. Patrick's Day parade was a lot of fun!  The weather
was so nice and we all looked very impressive.  I videotaped the entire time
and took a lot of pictures so hopefully soon, I can share them with all of
you.  First time I have ever leaned way out the car while it was moving, to
get some footage of us all in line with the doors up.  The commentators did a
good job and I am glad Bob Brandy's got to talk with one of them.  Mark and
Melissa came real early and good for them! They were in front and got on TV
for a good amount of time.  Too bad the banners weren't readable but they had
our clubs name on the screen.  Thank you to Gail Brandy's for setting up the
lunch afterwards. We all ate some good pizza.
       FYI watch out for inconsiderate women with their baby strollers. A
lady hit our fender with one and gave us a scratch. Thanks to Tamir we got it
out right away and thanks to my big mouth, everyone backed away from the car.
 I tried to turn a deaf ear to all their, "what's the big deal" comments.  No
respect!
       A friend of ours told Eric that Q101 has a television commercial with
a DeLorean in it. I didn't really believe him but I just watched it on their
website.  Q101.com and the banner (with a girls face in the picture) is on
the home page.  Pretty cool and I am sure it looks a lot better anywhere but
our computer. Check it out.  I am writing them to find out more information.
I am pretty sure this is their first ever TV commercial and so this just may
be the beginning of cool DeLorean footage. They are a huge and very popular
rock station in Chicago. I am going to have to let them know about the D-Rex!

       Take care everyone!
Marni

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 11:31:15 EST (-0500)
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: factory updates

greetings all...

I was wondering if anyone can give my the run down of the 3 factory
updates. Cost, place of installation, pics (would be great!), etc....

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:38:18 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: Electrical Mess

Check your schematics and make sure that all of the diodes are in good
condition and are actually installed.  The way this car is wired up, without
the diodes in place you can feed power to a load from multiple sources.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:46:10 -0600
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

To all DML members.  As usual, my site will feature working video clips at
very low sizes for those with 56K modems.

In a week or so, I will have video clips from both WGN and ABC of the St.
Patrick's Day parade in Chicago.  And I will have the Q101 commercial, as
well as on the ground personal video of the parade.

Tune into http://www.entermyworld.com for these future updates.  Patience is
always the key for good things in life! :)

Regards,
Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:53:45 -0600
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>

In case the video clip doesn't get re-encoded with a different codec...

You'll need the latest version of the DivX player, which can be found at the
following URL:

http://www.divx.com/divx/player.php

(installing the player also installs the codec so you can use it to view the
clip in Windows Media Player, if you so choose)

Happy viewing,

__________________
Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov '81)

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:56:38 EST (-0500)
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

It is a DIVX file - you need divx decoders

> [MODERATOR'S NOTE: There was another half dozen postings all pointing
> out the same problem that I dropped since Marty probably doesn't need
more than one note pointing out the issue.]

>   Thanks for the clip Marty - I'd love to see it... and I don't know
> if anyone else on the list is having this problem, but I can't play
this clip on three different computers using MS Media Player,
WinAmp,Real, VideoWav, Quicktime, etc.  The programs can not find an
appropriate decompressor or codec.  Can your friend possibly re-encode
it with a more widespread and/or available codec?

> thanks,
>
> -Hank #1619

<snip>

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:48:32 -0600
From: Todd Masinelli <tmasin_at_dml_madisontelco.com>
Subject: Re: factory updates

> I was wondering if anyone can give my the run down of the 3 factory
> updates. Cost, place of installation, pics (would be great!), etc....

Check out Hank Eskin's helpful reference page at
http://www.eskin.net/firstdelorean.html

Also be sure to get a complete set of manuals from your favorite vendor.
The factory bulletin manual explains what updates needed to be performed and
why.  (It will also explain the splotches of paint you may have found in
various locations on your car.)  Costs for parts can also be found on the
vendors' websites.

The only other thing I would add beyond that would be to invest in a
FanZilla.  In two years of ownership, I've already burned through two fused
wire jumpers.  I should have learned after the first time!  Don't risk an
overheated engine or a fire in the relay compartment.

Good luck!

__________________
Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov '81)

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:54:09 -0000
From: "Charlie g" <charlie_az_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans

Yes in the BTTF 1 they did have the original Volvo motor in the car
but later on, the engine heads cracked or in other words went
POOF...which is also why they have to push the car out to the upper
lot whenever they want to display it.  in BTTF 1&2 some cars did have
other engines just to safegaurd against another engine failure just
in case. Not only that, the DeLoreans used in the movie where in bad
shape anyway..  If u take the Universal VIP tour you can view 2 of
the DMC's out on the back parking lot. One is cut in half (pt2) for
certain angle shots in the movie and there is one they used in BTTF
3. and is in bad shape.  As far as engines fitting?  the rule in the
movie biz..is... MAKE IT FIT & WORK!!  A total of 7 cars where used.
Well i hope this helps, "probably doesnt..."  Have a good day!!

:)

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:30:18 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: PRV and Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans

According to the BTTF DVD, there were approximately 14 Deloreans
used during the production of all three BTTF movies.  Bob Gale
said that several stock Deloreans (in BTTF gear) were used for
stiil shots, straight line shots (or tow behinds) and that the
cars with engine swaps were used for the distant, at speed shots.
According to Bob Gale, only one Delorean was destroyed during the
production of all three movies and that was in the freight train
scene near the end of BTTF 3.

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:49:51 -0800
From: "Jason Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_tds.net>
Subject: Alternator

       Hello again,
                  Well, I got my car out for the first time this year and it looks like I will be
needing an alternator. I know this has been beat to death and caused a lot screaming
about going to the vendors so I will ask for replies to be sent to me directly to avoid
cluttering up the list. Alright, I am looking for a more deadily available and maybe a little
more powerful alternator that I can put on without too much hassle. A direct bolt on would
be nice but I know there is little chance of that. So does anyone know of a replacement
that will work? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

                           Thanks in advance..............Jason #5903

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:09:58 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Front suspension damage

I posted a note some time back regarding a failed front lower control
arm bushing, and since I have it all out of my car I took a few
pictures for those that might be curious about how the failure
manifests itself. I uploaded a picture to the photos section under
the "Front suspension damage" folder. Notice in the photo of the
bushings how the inner sleeve of the bushing to the right protrudes
in comparison to the pristone bushing to the left.

While doing the work on my one lower control arm, I also discovered a
massive lower control arm failure on the other side of the car. I
uploaded a couple photos of this as well since it looks pretty
impressive (photos in same folder as above). To think I was driving
on it! The failure is not a result of impact damage as it might
appear, but is instead due to metal fatigue. The failed arm has
hairline cracks/fissures in the material in several places and it
appears to have failed along some of these cracks (there are
additional cracks in several other places as well that are not
visible in the photo). The arm has 160,000 miles on it.

Anyway, I thought some of you would enjoy seeing some photos of some
of the failures that your front suspension is subject to.

    Knut

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:46:21 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Shifter knobs

There are two Phoenix-Area members of the Arizona DeLorean Club who
have been using Casey's Machined Shift Knobs since the DeLorean Car
Show in Memphis and neither have complained about them getting too
hot even in the Arizona sun.  One member is using the aluminum
shifter with black rubber inserts and the other member is using the
stainless steel spherical shifter, the later being a daily driver.
Both have noticed that it does get hot, but at least one (the daily
driver) has stated that it doesn't seem to get as hot and stay as hot
as the original black shifter.  (Remember, black absorbs light and
plastic retains heat.)  The metal shift knobs have a light-reflective
surface and metal is a good conductor of both heat and cold, so the
metal shifter seems to cool down very quickly, especially with the
A/C vents right in front blowing cold air on it (hot air in winter).
Overall, the members who are using Casey's shift knobs seem to prefer
both the look, feel, and temperature resistance over that of the
original black plastic shift knob.

Ben Ferguson
Owner - Sonoran Scientific
Member of the Board of Directors - American Hydrogen Association
Member - Arizona DeLorean Club
captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:21:29 EST
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Re: Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans

    The BTTF cars were featured in a previous issue of the DeLorean World
magazine.  Stephen Wynn's interview for that story described the maintenance
and service needs of the cars.  According to the magazine DeLorean One was/is
the service provider to the BTTF/Universal Pictures owned DeLoreans.

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:23:17 EST
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Re: PRV and Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans

In a message dated 03/16/2003 5:14:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net writes:

<< According to Bob Gale, only one Delorean was destroyed during the
 production of all three movies and that was in the freight train
 scene near the end of BTTF 3. >>

Isn't that a scale model according to the magazine article section of Tamir's
web site?

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:27:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

On the subject of shifter knobs you have to worry about overheating
the shifter knob even on automatics. If you don't the little round
piece on top that has the DMC molded on it will shrivel up. When I
park it at shows and it is really hot I just put a cap over the
shifter or I have seen people use a sock. Of course once you are
driving it isn't the same problem as those of use with automatics
don't have to keep stirring it!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 automatic

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "captain_hydrogen"

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:08:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator

Jason

Just as powerful as you might ever want or need - -
SpecialTauto.com - John Hervey.  John stands behind
them.  BTW, I have an extra powerful sound system and
electric door launchers.  I'm never at a loss for
power.

I'm sending John a copy of this even though I have no
interst in his business.
Give him a shout.

Dick Ryan

VIN 16867

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:02:36 -0000
From: "Dan" <danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_s...> wrote:

> Well, in the third DVD they talk about the Delorean's being
retrofitted

> with more powerful Porsche engines.

Yes I've watched this too... however, after watching all three movies
a couple hundred times I can see that the usual oil pan persists
throughout. Especially in the third movie where Doc blows the
injection manafold!

There was someone on here that posted (maybe a year ago) that they had
a couple of the DeLoreans from the movies with their garage for engine
rebuilds (or re-fitting?) and they were stock PRV V6s (anyone remember
this?!)

Also, the engine noise from the DeLorean was dubbed with a V8... but
this happens in pretty much all movies.

Dan

Vin#5282 - Hana