From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1495
Date: Thursday, May 08, 2003 10:51 AM

1. XREFS... Keep 'em Coming!
From: "Kenneth Kapalowski \(Ontario DeLorean Owners Club\)" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>

2. Been away for awhile
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Zilla Products (was Digest Number 1493)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Insuring a Delorean(PA)
From: Steve Deichman <swdeichman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Fw: cruise, and show
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

6. Door launchers
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>

7. Re: Carfax Help Please
From: Bryan Carter <deloreanz_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Fuel Pump potential problem
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. RE: Insuring a Delorean(PA)
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>

10. Fuel Pump 2nd
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. Re: Digest Number 1493
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

12. The Return of the ETDOC (Come drive the dragon)
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Been away for awhile
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:07:47 -0400
From: "Kenneth Kapalowski \(Ontario DeLorean Owners Club\)" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>
Subject: XREFS... Keep 'em Coming!

What I am working on doing is adding all the new cross refs with part
number AS WELL AS CARE make model year.. and whatever other information
I can find to the DeLorean Parts Database program that was made
available on the DMC NEWS webpage.

I have emailed Knut Grimsrud about making the updated version I am doing
available on my webpage.. if its all ok with him. we can all benefit
from this new updated xref list

So keep all the wonderful cross refs coming! Include any and all
information you can about the cross reference.

Make, model, year
Special modifications that may be needed
Etc

-Ken
05541
www.odoc.ca <http://www.odoc.ca/>

Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:31:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Been away for awhile

I havent been on the list for awhile have we lost any more cars to accidents lately? Any other tragedies?

Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:25:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Zilla Products (was Digest Number 1493)

Just to clarify a point:  while I chose not to wait
for Bob's launchers, I am a stong supporter of his
products.  I have both a FanZilla and a LockZilla on
my car that were first installed on my previous
DeLorean.  They had been on that car for over 10 years
when I traded it on my present DeLorean.  They worked
so well, I had them transferred over.  Now, 6 years
later, they are STILL performing flawlessly.

Yes, it is said that "patience is a virtue"; BUT, no
one has ever said that I am virtuous.

Dick Ryan

http://search.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 16:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Deichman <swdeichman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Insuring a Delorean(PA)

I use Haggerty for my "D" and two other cars - 41 plymouth street-rod and 72 mustang.680 a year for all 3 the "D" is about $260.steve

deloreanz <deloreanz_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:Does anyone know a good company to go with for insuring a D in PA
(even Oklahoma)? I'm considering buying one and would like to know
how much insurance would cost roughly. I don't know that i'll be
driving it much(since i might be doing work on it) so i could go with
classic plates. I might drive it more though(im not sure yet). Any
input on cheap rates? Thanks,

Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 18:45:40 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: Fw: cruise, and show

Marvin Stein
Printed Drinkware Company
924 Dundas Street
London, Ontario, Canada, N5W 3A1
tel:         519-434-1666
fax:        519-434-7071
toll free: 1-866-725-4665
email: marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com
website: printeddrinkware.com

Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 02:02:25 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Door launchers

The Dakota Digital actuators (made by Ball) use very little current
and use of the existing spare wiring is not a problem. Darryl is
correct, installed and adjusted correctly these will last a very long
time. Mine have over a year of hard use without a single failure. The
wiring isn't all that difficult, just a little work. It's best to
adjust everything in the door properly while you're in there. For the
guy who asked about a replacement alarm, I recommend the Crimestopper
Super Rage or CS available cheap on Ebay. It's a combo remote
start/alarm/keyless entry unit that I specifically chose after
analyzing the cars wiring. It intergrates easily if your handy with
electrical work and provides long range operation of all fucntions in
one box. I'd also point out that an interlock to prevent door opening
while the engine is running is a very good thing to have if you drive
with the doors unlocked. I can tell you an easy way to do that and
still open the door from afar after a remote start.

I'll be happy to to offer details of my system to anyone who asks.

Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 19:44:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bryan Carter <deloreanz_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Carfax Help Please

Hey, I just have to say I like your site a lot, and my
friend checked on that lexus.  Carfax didn't show
anything bad, just a commercial lease on it in
Illinois.

Bryan
(no vin yet!)

http://search.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 03:05:22 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Fuel Pump potential problem

Group, FYI, No matter where you buy your next fuel pump, Bosch has
been putting a clear thin plastic wrap around the pump. After a few
weeks the glue that holds it on will start to let go and settle into
the tank and can be possibility clog the fuel screen. What is above
the boot clamp should be ok. If you have someone put one on or buy it
yourself be sure the clear plastic sleeve is taken off. Unless I over
looked one, everyone that has bought one from me has been removed.
Take a look if your having fuel pick up problems.This gule can really
stop it up the screen. I have reported it to Bosch.

Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:24:37 -0400
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>

Pretty good rates.  What kind of coverage/limits do you have on the
three cars for $680/year?  Any restrictions on miles per year or use of
the cars?

Scott Gardner

Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 03:42:03 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Fuel Pump 2nd

Group, I posted a picture of what I was talking about.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html

Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 04:55:31 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1493

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, elvisnocita_at_dml_g... wrote:
> Interesting. What attachment points do you mean ?
> No holes to drill ? I am very curious how this will work.
>
> And even more interesting - how will it be wired ?
> The only spare wire I know which fits perfectly for an actuator or solenoid
> ends under the T-panel. There may be +12V permanently in the door but
then
> there's still the problem that there's no signal wire left to tell a relay
> that it
> should activate the actuator/solenoid.
<SNIP>

Now this would only be speculation on my part on how the Zilla system will
work, but it's really not a problem at all to wire up a trigger using existing
wiring, and not having to splice a thing. It just all depends upon how the setup
would be. The trigger could be the unlock wire feed. Unlock the door, and the
lock solenoid slides the lock back. A timer chip (or possible a capacitor/
bleeder resistor set up) inside circuit is set to only trigger the secondary
solenoid if it recieves the signal for a longer period of time than what the
primary lock solenoid recieves. Hit the open door feature on the key fob, and it
sends an unlock signal for like double the time than is normally required, and
thus the secondary solenoid is triggered, and the door is opened!

Since this kind of a setup would entail controls for opening doors individually,
I don't see why the engineering couldn't be added in to also unlock the doors
one at a time (what I would consider a HUGE improvement to personal
safety). Connecting things would be totally simple. The feed wire would
simply be a double-ended connector that would simplty plug in between both
the lock solenoid, and the wiring harness. The ground wire would probably
just hook up to the door frame where the bellcrank solenoid mounts onto the
door (yes, there is an existing mounting spot available). It wouldn't be a
problem at all.

Now the only question that I have would be if a single wire could power 2
seperate solenoids at once. There is a dedicated 12V feed wire in the doors,
but I can't remember if the car schematics show it connected to the rear
defroster swtich, or to the ignition wire. So that means that it isn't continuous.
But I'm pretty sure that I once tested it, and it was continuous on my car, and I
got voltage with the key out. I'd have to check that. If it is, then you've got a
dedicated feed to the bellcrank solenoid, and then you wouldn't have to worry
about feeding two solenoids off the same wire. If not, perhaps the coupling
inside of the car is easy to reach to convert it over. But using a seperate feed
wire, you could set up a 555 timer chip, and send lower voltage, faster pulses
thru the trigger wire that would be picked up by the timer chip to trigger the
bellcrank solenoid, but couldn't be used to activate the door lock solenoid to
avoid power drains on the system.
So yes, a door launch kit could indeed be installed on the car, and not a
single wire would need to be cut. Then only things you'd need to sacrifice are
some fir tree clips, and some time to possibly adjust the torsion bars, and to
possibly lubricate the internal locking mechanisms and connection rods (to
lessen the loads on the bellcrank solenoids). Desert cars may not have rust,
but that dust certainly gets everywhere in our cars! And when it gets into
locking mechanisims, they become harder to turn.

Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 02:04:09 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: The Return of the ETDOC (Come drive the dragon)

Greetings All,

It's been a while, a long while, and now it is time to call together another
meeting of the ETDOC. The East Tennessee DeLorean Owners Club is in the
preliminary stages of planning a party/meet/get together, call it what you
will. Our last one was in March of 2002, so it is time to get the club back
together again. Membership is open, anyone can come and participate, there is
never a cover charge. We have been known in the past to have way too much
fun. That is why I say party, b/c this is what we do, well we party like only
DeLorean owners/enthusiastes know how. What we are planning right now is a
weekend trip in Gatlinburg, TN. Typically we stay at a nice hotel overlooking
the city, have a night of dining and going out on the town, followed by a
drive the next morning. The road is the attraction "The Dragon". Billed as
the curviest strip of pavement in the lower 48, and motorcycle racing magnet,
this road will not disappoint. Ask anyone who has driven it in the past, you
will not go home unfulfilled. Tentatively, we are looking at August 9th,
10th. The agenda would go something like this, arrive in East Tennessee
(Knoxville, Gatlinburg, somewhere) maybe have a get together tech session for
those interested. Later that day, meet in Gatlinburg at the hotel. Get
settled, head out for a group dinner and spend some time in "Myrtle Beach of
the Sky" (Gatlinburg, you have to see this place to believe it). Talk about
our cars, perhaps go swimming, hit the hay (sleep). Next morning, get some
breakfast, head out for the thrills of the dragon. Usually, our events get
full features in the big DeLorean mags, so its a good chance to get your car
in print.

If you think you might be interested in attending or if you have any
questions, email me directly ------- DeLoreanSS_at_dml_etdoc.com

P.S.- Aaron Posey has agreed that he will indeed attend. That could be an
attraction in itself ;) (for those of you that don't know Aaron, you will)

Hope to see everyone there,
John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527

Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 01:45:28 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Been away for awhile

Actually, and unfortunately, we just lost one here in Knoxville last week. I
don't know the details, but apparently, a new owner  (6months or so) was hit
in the passenger side. Damage is estimated at 9-12k and it is still
unresolved as to whether or not the car is salvageable. Not the best news in
the world. I just feel sorry for the fellow to whom it happened. The way I
understand it, he was just going to the convenience store. Can you imagine,
in one 15 minute trip, your pride and joy is smashed to stainless bits.
Yikes!

John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527