From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1510
Date: Monday, May 19, 2003 9:53 PM

1. Re: Re: AC quits working when the car stops moving?
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

2. Florida get-together
From: "geek123y" <ken_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

3. Re: Reupholster Steering wheel and Binnacle
From: Jonas Pitchford <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039
From: "John Elgersma" <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>

5. Re: Reupholster Steering wheel and Binnacle
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

6. Idle speed sensor
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>

7. Re: thermostat
From: Jonas Pitchford <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Reupholster Steering wheel and Binnacle
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

9. Reupholster dashboard /was Re: Reupholster Steering wheel and Binnacle
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: Angle-torqueing
From: "miltdanfoss" <dan.foss_at_dml_lycos.com>

11. 3932 is back on the road
From: "miltdanfoss" <dan.foss_at_dml_lycos.com>

12. Does your DeLorean subconsciously influence your actions?
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Thumping suspension
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

14. Re: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

15. Re: Idle speed sensor
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Toby Tabs - set for sale
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. DOC Site update
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

18. Brake discs
From: "deloreand" <ed_at_dml_dmc-service.nl>

19. Re: Stronger brakes up front?
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>

20. Re: thermostat
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: Florida get-together
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: Thumping suspension
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

23. Available carfax reports
From: "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

24. Re: Reupholster Steering wheel and Binnacle
From: "Marcel" <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>

25. Removing A/C Evaporator Core
From: "Dale Schaub" <DaleSchaub_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 22:39:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
Subject: Re: Re: AC quits working when the car stops moving?

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Harold McElraft wrote:

> Did you check the fan motor ground?

Yeah, I just recently went through and cleaned up all the grounds.  It's
helped, but I'm still fighting a low voltage at idle problem.  For the
time being, though, the AC clutch seems to be staying engaged almost all
the time it should.  It's sometimes not holding when the engine drops to
idle, but it grabs again as soon as I start moving.

-andrew
 Houston TX

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 04:48:22 -0000
From: "geek123y" <ken_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>
Subject: Florida get-together

Good day everyone

Last March at the last minute, a group of Delorean owners in Florida
planned a successful get-together with seven cars showing up.  We
would like to beat that number this time.  We are tentatively
planning a function for sometime soon in Central Florida and would
like everyone's input as to what they would like to do and when.

I am offering my home as a meeting place.  I have plenty of room so
we can help make door adjustments and light repairs.  With this many
Delorean owners, there should be plenty of help and ideas to go
around.

I would like to follow this up with evening car show, which occurs
almost every weekend of every month at a different spot in the
Central Florida area. Or if anybody has any good ideas, please let
all of us know.

VIN # 02700

Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 22:28:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jonas Pitchford <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Reupholster Steering wheel and Binnacle

I have talked to several people who have recovered there binnacle with much success. as for the steering wheel, any good custom upholstery shop should be able to do it. The shop I deal with here in Baton Rouge said they could recover both of these items for me
Jonas 3543

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 05:40:57 -0000
From: "John Elgersma" <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>
Subject: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039

For all of us that truly believe that not any Delorean should be a
parts car and all are really up for restoration, you might just
think again because when I say this car on Ebay, I really changed my
mind that all Deloreans are restoration projects. This is one of
those cars that will challenge you from the ground up. Anyone with
lots of cash to rebuild this car?? Not me!
Found at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31830&item=2415873039

Keep an eye on this car when it reaches closing time on bids!

JohnE.

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 00:45:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

Sure you can reupholster both! I know of quite a few people that have simply covered their binnacles in leather, instead of buying new ones. It looks great! Most any auto upholstery shop can recover your steering wheel as well. I've even seen where people have recovered their steering wheels in grey to match their interiors too :-) . There was a company that people were sending their steering wheels off to a few years ago... but the name evades me. But I'd be willing to bet you can find someone in your area who can take care of both of these.

Louie Golden
VIN 10115 Sanford, NC

See what you missed! Read the report on the 2003 DMC Open House Event at http://www.delorean.com/2003event.asp

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 05:21:09 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Idle speed sensor

 Mark, a thermistor is not a simple contact closure. Thermistors are
resistors that change their resistance with temperature, either
increasing or decreasing in resistance with a change in temp. (They
come in two flavors called positive or negative coefficent.) The idle
thermistor in the Delorean is used to alter the idle speed setpoint
depending on coolant temp. On my car a custom circuit is used to
exploit this function so as to increase the idle 200 rpm when I have
the headlights or A/C on.

This sensor is not on or off like a switch. You can't look for a
contact closure, you need to measure it with an ohmmeter while you
change it's temperature. The spec escapes me at the moment but if it
changes resistance (somewhere below the 10K ohm range as I recall) as
you heat and cool it, then the odds are it's probably working. Use
only an ohmmeter, if you pull to much current through it (by using a
large 12 volt test light for example) you could damage it.

Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 22:21:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jonas Pitchford <Delorean3543_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: thermostat

pep boys has one, however I am working off shore and the part number in at home. If you have the time look you can find it on the project vixin web site, it is on there somewhere.
Jonas 3543

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 04:58:53 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

Check out American Stitches (www.american-stitches.com 3149 N. I-30,
Ste. H, Mesquite, Texas 75150 888-403-3403 972-613-2914) they can
recover your steering wheel in new leather and can add 1/16" or 1/8"
padding under the leather to "enhance its look and feel".  They may
also be able to recover your binnacle and possibly your E-brake
handle and shift knob (if you want that).

Ben Ferguson
Member of the Board of Directors - American Hydrogen Association
(www.clean-air.org)
Member - Arizona DeLorean Club (www.az-d.org)
captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:53:24 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Reupholster dashboard /was Re: Reupholster Steering wheel and Binnacle

Is it possible to recover the dashboard?  I'm assuming something
like this has to be taken out to recover.  The problem I see with
taking it out is that it may break into pieces.  I have a couple of
cracks in my dash.  If the dash is recovered, is there still room to
install it back into the car or does the added leather get in the
way?

Erik

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:01:58 -0000
From: "miltdanfoss" <dan.foss_at_dml_lycos.com>
Subject: RE: Angle-torqueing

Rich,
If you read earlier in the workshop manual (in the torque value
area), you will see the proper head bolt torquing sequence is
pretorque to 15, bring it up to 45, break and retorque to 15 and then
angle tighten to 115 degrees.

You can try a few of you local autoparts stores or a real tool store
to find the angle torque wrench. I simply made one out of a disk of
paper and used a compass and protractor to mark off 115 degrees. I
attached it with tape to the socket and used my regular torque
wrench.  Also, the Volvo 760 GLE (foir a 1984) shows another way to
do make your own, but it doesn't work if you retorque after the run
in period (after a half hour of running engine). Don't forget to
drain down the antifreeze if you do this, otherwise it is very messy!

Dan in Cocoa (3932)

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:54:46 -0000
From: "miltdanfoss" <dan.foss_at_dml_lycos.com>
Subject: 3932 is back on the road

Good news!

Fixed my blown water pump, and after I found that my poor job of
torqueing the crankshaft pulley nut resulted in a 100% loose nut, and
a loose pulley, I have all back together.

Oh yeah, while it was out I installed a Audiovox CCS-100 cruise
control, which fit nicely in the spot for the digital clock and I was
able to install it with minimal modification (only hole I had to
drill in my D was in the engine electrical compartment. I modified
the wiring to the "A/C Panel Illumination" relay at the same time,
and most of the wiring I needed for the cruise was found there. I
picked up the extra post on the dimmer thermistor in the center
console for the other I needed.

Dan in Cocoa (3932)

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:18:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Does your DeLorean subconsciously influence your actions?

No harm meant Jeff, but since your non-DeLorean carfax request was let through I
will try this rejected topic again and expect it to get through since it does
contain "informative content regarding the DeLorean automobile, company, or man".

(slightly revised)
Since I've become an D owner/driver, when I go back to drive my  other cars I
often put the sun visors down on a regular basis. I never used the visors before.
Do you think subconsciously I am trying to make up for too much windshield in my
other cars? :-)

I also find myself scanning my other cars for fingerprints. If you've seen my
Festiva (the killer bee) you'd know that finger prints are the least of my
worries.

How does owning/driving a DeLorean influence habits/actions and routines in other
areas of your life?

Not only for owners/drivers but riders too! I caught my wife saying while
shopping for clothes one time . . . "ohh this will match the DeLorean, what do
you think honey?"

Shannon Y

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:08:46 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: Thumping suspension

It's hilarious how many times I've scared the bejeevers out myself
when I heard a chair/toolkit/whatever sliding around my trunk. Scares
me EVERYTIME I put something heavy in there... takes me a few minutes
to realize... then I feel dumb all over again.

But, I experienced the sound your speaking of (non-parcel related).
Check that both the Sway bar brackets are not broken. Have you
installed the recall brackets up there? Are bushing still seated
nicely.
It could be the sound of the bar banging against the frame as you
stop braking. (does it happen just when you let of the brakes)

A 'BOING' I found up front was a tie wrap I had used on something up
there and hitting the spring and going PING (sounded like a bell).

Hope it helps!
James L 004009

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:13:00 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039

yeah but this car is different.  It was already stripped and someone
probably just slapped some old panels on a car.  They are being held
together by rubber bungee cords ( look at rear pic). Somebody already
stripped this car and the owner won't answer any questions.  he is
ambiguous.  I don't think he even has the car.  He has no knowledge of
deloreans, that's for sure.  I can't even ask about frame or panels.  he
says he doesn't know.  Weird

Joseph

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 14:17:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Idle speed sensor

You should not have had to modify the circuit to force the idle up 200
rpm. A properly functioning idle circuit will hold the idle at the
correct idle rpm with varying loads like the A/C and the alternator.
The main reason the thermistor raises the idle is to make the car warm
up faster, the idle circuit can keep the cold engine running even at
the lower speed but for the EPA there is a maximum warm-up cycle time.

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:38:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Toby Tabs - set for sale

I bought these before I had a car. The car I ended up buying has the Bauerle
Bracket set up so I do not need the Toby Tabs. Instead of over kill I figure I'd
offer them up to someone who needs them. I'm not looking to make money. I will
sell them for the price I payed. Still in wrapping, never used, nuts & washers
included.

$66 plus shipping to the first person who emails me. If the first response finks
out I will contact the 2nd to reply.

Shannon Y

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 19:55:01 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: DOC Site update

Hi All

Just uploading my pics from the DMC Houston Open House plus a number of
others including the "Room 501" Student film project shoot, at which we
assembled 11 DeLoreans. a couple of weeks back

Check the News page as usual http://www.delorean.co.uk

DOC UK Webmaster

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 20:58:05 -0000
From: "deloreand" <ed_at_dml_dmc-service.nl>
Subject: Brake discs

For those of you who don't know: DMC Service delivers perforated and
ventilated front discs, including spacers that fit the original
calipers to fit the ventilated discs. Race compound brake pads are
included as well.
In about three weeks we will have a new kit ready with fore pot
calipers made of billet aluminum. Including discs, brake pads and
brake proportioning valves to adjust the brake power at the front. It
increases a lot and has to be reduced a bit in order to cooperate
with the rear discs.

www. dmc-service.nl (click on the enlish flag for an english version
of the site).

Ed Uding

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 23:31:36 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: Stronger brakes up front?

On Sun, 18 May 2003 22:26:36 -0400 (EDT),
William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org> wrote:

> If the front wheels are locked up you won't be able to steer,
> but the solution is to apply slightly less force to the brakes.

I learned on a skid-course that if you se the needle of the
speedometer drop to zero at once you're locked up and should
release a TINY bit of pedal pressure.

My first thought was "like I have time to look at the speedo",
but you dont have to look at it; when practicing I noticed that
your perifiral vision is sufficient to see the needle shoot back.

Just have to remember that on a D thye speedo is on the front wheel,
while on most modern cars it's driven by the gearbox or final drive,
thus telling you your DRIVE-wheels are locked up...

Drive (and brake) safely,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:45:25 -1000
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Why would you take the time to search different places for such a cheap
part? You can get it for $18.50 at PJ Grady, and you know it's the right
part. You know you're not going to overheat your engine with the part being
correct. Is it worth taking tons of time out of your schedule to "possibly"
save a few dollars? I understand looking for items that are a lot more
costly at your local store, but really... Remember, if you don't buy your
parts from a DeLorean vendor, they may not be around when you need a
DeLorean specific part.

The part number is 102709G and they'll ship it right to your door. You may
not know this but, not all thermostats are created equal. There are cheaper,
less reliable thermostats out there. Saving a few dollars could cost you
thousands in this case if your engine overheats. The thermostat from PJ
Grady is the best I've ever used. It's been working flawlessly for me for
years.

---Dan

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 19:26:51 -0000
From: "cdmcali" <cdmcali_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: thermostat

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 21:30:39 -0000
From: "dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Florida get-together

Hey I'm up for a get together in Central Florida.  I don't have any
suggestions for when where or what to do, but would like to be
involved.

Keep me posted  =)

MIchael
Vin# 2944

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:53:58 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Aaron - The first place that I would look would be the rubber bushings
that connect the front sway bar to the front lower control arms.  The
bushings are known to deteriorate, which lets the sway bar thump and
rattle against the lower control arms.  The stock rubber bushings are
relatively cheap (under $5 each) so they are not too painful to
replace.  The major symptoms that I found when my bushings failed were
lack of control during heavy braking ... the car twitched
side-to-side, and also a "twitchy feeling" at highway speeds, caused
by caster variations in the front wheels.  These bushings hold the
lower control arms (LCA's) in position (forward and aft), and when
they allow movement, the caster is contantly varying.  You can access
the rearmost bushings by removing the nuts that thread onto the ends
of the sway bar where it pokes through the LCA's.  The forward pair of
bushings can be viewed after you remove the front sway bar.  Check
those out, and let us know what you find.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

-- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> My suspension has been making thumping and "boingy" noises in the
> front (mostly driver's side, I believe) for a couple of months now.
> I'm trying to determine what exactly is causing the noise and how I
> can fix it.
>
> The noise most often happens when I stop hard.  However, there is a
> spot in the road near where I live that dips down just a little bit
> right before a stop sign (so I'm always slowing down at that point),
> and it almost always makes a noise there, no matter how slow/fast
I'm

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 19:47:44 -0400
From: "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: Available carfax reports

Ok, since nobody helped me out, I went and got a carfax account. So for
the next 30 days, if anyone wants a report, let me know. Off list, of
course.

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
Webmaster, http://www.88-mph.com

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:19:30 -0600
From: "Marcel" <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>

I also wondered about reupholstery of my steering wheel.  I was a show in
Dallas couple of years ago and found company that does just that.
American Stitches--www.american-stitches.com, 1 972-613-2914.  They are
located in Mesquite, texas.  Good luck
Marcel bourgon in El Paso,  1981 automatic

Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:23:56 -0700
From: "Dale Schaub" <DaleSchaub_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Removing A/C Evaporator Core

Shop manual is not clear on the removal procedure for the evaporator core--any hints are welcomed.

I removed the bolts holding the casing for the evaporator core and I am trying to remove the evaporator casing from the heater casing, but it appears that the entire unit (heater and air conditioning plastic casing house) must be removed as a unit from under the dash. Is this correct?

Temperature in Scottsdale is reaching 100 degrees F and climbing.