From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1512
Date: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 8:13 PM

1. RE: No Fuel to injectors
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Automatic Transmission Cars
From: lhemb_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Delorean World or DW as it is now called
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Re: No Fuel to injectors
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

5. DMC parts vendors vs. Joe's Auto Parts
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

6. Re: No Fuel to injectors
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: 3932 is back on the road (Audiovox cruise control)
From: "miltdanfoss" <dan.foss_at_dml_lycos.com>

8. Re: Automatic Transmission Cars
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

9. Re: Re: Delorean World or DW as it is now called
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

10. Re: Automatic Transmission Cars
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raph40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>

11. Re: Re: Delorean World or DW as it is now called
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. RE: Delorean World or DW as it is now called
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

13. Idle speed sensor
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>

14. RE: Re: Delorean World or DW as it is now called
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

15. Re: Automatic Transmission Cars
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

16. Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?
From: "rrouya" <RRouya_at_dml_ATTBI.com>

17. Re: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

18. Re: Re: Delorean World or DW as it is now called
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

19. Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12
From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <StadnickAd_at_dml_usa.irene.net>

20. DeLorean Car Show Magazine
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

21. Hi all! I'm new with a few questions...
From: "Lore" <event.horizon_at_dml_earthlink.net>

22. Re: INDIGLO!
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

23. RE: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

24. Re: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

25. Re: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 07:47:42 -0700
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: No Fuel to injectors

Dave, Make sure the primary pressure regulator on the lower right side of
the fuel distributor doesn't have something holding it open. Then keep in
mind the injectors have a fine wire mesh screen inside them that could get
clogged up and they take 50 lb's to open them. I would take one of the
injector lines off the injector and see if gas is flowing.

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:09:33 EDT
From: lhemb_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Automatic Transmission Cars

Does anyone out there know how many cars were manufactured with automatic
transmission?

Brian McCabe & Harvey (5830)
Santa Rosa BBeach, Florida

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:30:58 EDT
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Delorean World or DW as it is now called

I don't think this is any type of a flame but David raises a good point.  Has
anyone received more than one issue of the new DW Magazine yet?  I was told
the next issue was coming out a few times.  It seems there was a big push by
the DOA to have a two year renewal for membership.  I think many members did,
but the magazine is the main reason people pay dues, and there hasnt been an
issue published since last year sometime if I am not mistaken.  It would be
nice to see a response to these questions raised on the list, as I know board
members post here in reference to their upcoming events or to mention items
for sale by the DOA.

Gary Gore

<<At the request of the previous editor of Delorean World I was invited
to submit an article for the magazine. At the time it was mentioned
that in return I was to be given a 1 year membership if it was printed
which meant I was to get 4 issues of the magazine. It was and I
didn't. After many calls and e-mails to the former editor, the present
editor (Ed Bernstein) and the person in charge of membership I have
yet to get any more than 2 of the magazines. In the meantime I was
told that the dues increased and the # of issues per year has been
reduced. I have been getting the Royal Run-around for over 1 year. I
only got the 2 issues I did receive after many phone calls.
I only mention this for anyone that has or intends to submit articles
that they should know how badly I was treated and what they might
expect after submitting an article. For his part Dave Knudson seemed
to treat me fairly but the situation was taken out of his hands. I
have never been able to get to John Truscott and Ed Bernstein didn't
seem to have any time to deal with me, instead refering me back to
John Truscott.
I would like to hear from anyone who has any recent dealings with DW.
Contact me offlist.
I hope the moderator is feeling generous as I do not intend to start
a flaming thread. I am posting this only after getting nowhere with DW
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757>>

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:26:55 +0200 (MEST)
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de
Subject: Re: Re: No Fuel to injectors

Bill,
Are you sure ? I didn't know that a garden hose can produce pressure itself.
Isn't it the water tower with a hight of about 30 or more feet that produces
the
pressure at your water tap ?
Maybe you think of it again, because your pump makes the pressure !

Elvis & 6548 - without a mysterious pressure rising fuel line...

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:58:43 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: DMC parts vendors vs. Joe's Auto Parts

I'm a firm believer that only nickle-and-dime stuff should be bought
from "Joe's Auto Parts".

It's also true that we all have to fabricate some stuff on our own
because we don't all live in Houston, or Long Island or California.

I do strongly endorse using the vendors whenever possible for 2 main
reasons.

1) It's just a harsh fact of life that if you own a car like this,
you'll need professional help sometime. If these guys go out of
business because we don't buy their stuff, they won't be there when
we need the really unique stuff that only they carry.

2) All the vendors I've spoken with have been VERY free with their
technical advice. These guys are lousy business men. They're actually
HONEST! :-) I've actually been STOPPED from buying parts because I
was on the wrong track, about to purchase something that wasn't
necessary, saving me hundreds of dollars. Plus, vendor parts just
plain eliminate the question: "Dang, this thing SHOULD work...it
looks just like the old one!"

I've spent 11 years on nuclear submarines. Vendors are like submarine
shipyards. We don't NEED more submarines but we build them 1 or so
per year becuase if we allow the labor and tech pool to disband and
pursue other work, we won't know HOW to build or fix them when we do.

Support your favorite vendor. (No, I wasn't paid)

Rich

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:36:53 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Yes - I've seen that one. The bottom connection (inlet) on the fuel
filter has a flap on the inside. I had a case where the fitting
bottomed out on that flap and choked off the fuel. Since this is a
pipe-fitting (i.e. the threads make the seal) it may not be a good
idea to just back it off a little, but you could try that while
troubleshooting. My fix was to cut a few grooves across the face of
the fitting where it goes into the filter, you could also just grind
about 1 mm off the fitting.

Another good test - pull the input line off the fuel distributor and
hold it over a container. Jump the RPM relay and turn on the
ignition. There is a flow spec for the pump but it should pump a pint
of fuel in several seconds. If you are getting plenty of fuel at this
point you probably have a problem in the fuel dist, if not it's
upstream i.e. the pump or filter.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:26:49 -0000
From: "miltdanfoss" <dan.foss_at_dml_lycos.com>
Subject: Re: 3932 is back on the road (Audiovox cruise control)

Bill,
I installed on the L bracket on the passenger side drive axle. I
slotted the two holes on the short leg, and installed using
the "retainer" bolt, with a thick washer underneath. This allowed me
to adjust the in/out play. I installed the p/u unit in the first hole.

I can send you a digital picture if you like.

Dan in Cocoa (3932)

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:00:23 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Cars

I've heard that 1/3rd of all cars were autos, and then I've heard that
this is rubbish, that they came off the line in equal proportions. I
think it's safe to assume the figure's probably between the two.

Martin

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:40:05 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean World or DW as it is now called

Well

>From my side of the pond here in England, I signed up to the DW magazine and
received the first one straight away, well about a week later, and received
issue two 2 weeks ago. No probs with it arriving over here in the UK that
I'm aware of  :-)

Cheers

http://www.paul.salsbury.btinternet.co.uk

> I don't think this is any type of a flame but David raises a good point.
Has
> anyone received more than one issue of the new DW Magazine yet?  I was
told
> the next issue was coming out a few times.  It seems there was a big push
by
> the DOA to have a two year renewal for membership.  I think many members
did,
> but the magazine is the main reason people pay dues, and there hasnt been
an
> issue published since last year sometime if I am not mistaken.  It would
be
> nice to see a response to these questions raised on the list, as I know
board
> members post here in reference to their upcoming events or to mention
items
> for sale by the DOA.
>
> Gary Gore

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:50:41 -0000
From: "ferdaniraphael" <raph40_at_dml_wanadoo.fr>

Hi
Go to http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/n_vinrat.jpg  for an
estimation of prod numbers...
Raph

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

My second issue of DW arrived yesterday.

I was disappointed.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

[long duplicate quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:22:44 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

Hi Dave,
I got the first issue of the "new" magazine shown as Vol 1 No 1 Summer 2002
with a cover pix of the back of a girl looking at some scenery.    I just
got my second issue a couple days ago shown as Vol 1 No 2 Spring 2003 with
cover pix of a "cozy" couple on the streets of Montreal courtesy of their
Tour Bureau.   I have all the back issues of DeLorean World since Number one
in binders.   I was pretty shook up when I saw that first issue, but the
second one DID IT.   I have had many ask me why in the world I subscribed,
but I like most of us, I wanted ANYTHING to do with the D so continued my
subs.....However this was the"straw that broke the camels back".   I will
discontinue my subscription.  There are too many others on the market now
that have excellent DeLorean articles and photos.   The older DeLorean World
mags have excellent articles in them.  When I showed the new one to my wife
she read through it and asked when I subscribed to a travel magzine.  She
was amazed when I told her it was a DeLorean Mag!!   My collection is for
sale cheap....contact me direct.

Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 18:54:22 -0000
From: "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Idle speed sensor

David, you misunderstood. My ISC works fine and holds the idle at 775
when loaded, as it should. I simply prefer about 950 when the higher
wattage halogens I use or the AC is on. All modern cars (my Turbo
Supra is an example) have multiple idle speed targets (depending on
other variables besides coolant temps) for giving improved electrical
system and AC performance.

>>You should not have had to modify the circuit to force the idle up
200 rpm. A properly functioning idle circuit will hold the idle<<

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:08:14 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

I just received a copy of DW yesterday.
Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:47:17 -0600
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

Go to the DMC-News website and look in the FAQ under Chronology. This link
will take you there:

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/n_chron.htm

This shows a study that Knut Grimsrud did. The Options page breaks out the
auto vs manual, and gray vs black stuff. Read the whole thing if you have
time. Knut did a great job with it and it's a fun read.

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:32:42 -0000
From: "rrouya" <RRouya_at_dml_ATTBI.com>
Subject: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?

I was looking for a Delorean to buy when I saw a pic of the
speedometer.  The top speed is only 85 MPH???!!  Whats up with that?
Isnt that freakin slow as hell?

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:43:22 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039

Erik,

I publicly apologize to Rick.  After looking over my original email probably
typed very late at night, I realized some parts could be misread as
negative.  I just wanted to inform the DML of the fact that this car was
incomplete.  I felt bad for writing an ambiguous email.  He is right.  For
that money, there are many parts that can be salvaged.  I myself would buy
it if it were closer.  Again I apologize for any bad feelings I may have
caused.  I was trying to provide some info based on pics and emails.

Joseph M
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:53:58 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

[MODERATOR NOTE: Obviously the latest issue of DW is in the mail right now.  While the DML allows polite discussion of the content of any DeLorean-related publication, there is no point in reporting to the DML when your issue arrives.  Until the Postal Service has had a few weeks to deliver them all, messages that only contain information about your DW delivery will be rejected.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

I have only received 2 issues.  The last one was from Winter 2002.  my last
issue of DW was summer 2002.  I also have only 1 issue.

joseph 2850

[duplicate quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 19:34:14 -0000
From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <StadnickAd_at_dml_usa.irene.net>
Subject: Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12

I may be bidding on the ebay delorean that has seen so much grief. I
am going to see how much it would cost to get the engine runnning and
make it appear semi normal. Anybody have a used fuel distributor, set
of fuel injectors, breather, front and rear fascias, drivers side
window, louver panel (rear deck)? Also,he said it needed CPR. I'm not
sure if this was a joke or if there's a part called CPR. (i'm
clueless about these cars). If there is such a thing, i need that
too. otherwise i'll need to call on my Boy Scout skills and give it
mouth-to-exhaust pipe. Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:38:46 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Magazine

There has been a lot of feedback on the magazine and we are pleased to say that subscriptions have been coming in.

The DeLorean Car Show Magazine is geared towards the DeLorean Owner similar to the Car Show itself.

Some of you commented on some of the new vendors adds we did. We are glad you liked a new look.

We welcome articles from anyone on the DeLoreans and will publish them as space becomes available (usually within one or two issues now).

This magazine publishes 2 times a year  (Nov and April) with four issues per volume coresponding with each Car Show so there are 4 issues per volume (2 issues per year)

Your participation in the magazine is what makes it work so if you wish to send in an article we will try to make it as easy as possible.  The direction the magazine goes will depend on the material submitted.

We do ask that photos be high resolution if digital and that they be reasonably good in quality meaning that the subject is centered and that shadowing is minimal.  We have had some problems printing poor quality photos and hope to be able to use more of your photos in future issues.

The magazine will highlight the DeLorean Car Show events and any local events that are submitted.  We will also publish upcoming events when we receive them and  will try to get special interest articles like the article with John DeLorean in the last issue.

We encourage you to try the magazine and if nothing else we seem to do quite well with it on e-bay.

There is still some room in the next issue for articles so if you have something in mind you want to  write about send it in.

Again thanks for your support.

One note on the web page
We will be adding a lot more photos and videos of who's coming to Pigeon Forge in June.

Ken
DeLorean Car Show Inc.
DeLorean Car Show Magazine
DeLoreancarshow.com

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 19:47:55 -0000
From: "Lore" <event.horizon_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Hi all! I'm new with a few questions...

How's everyone doing? :o)

I've been in love with Deloreans since I was 5, and have been
determined to get one since I saw a few in person when I was 14- and
FINALLY, I'm about a year, to two years from being able to get one.

I've been doing some research here and there over the years, but now
is time to buckle down and figure things out.

I was thinking of going through http://www.delorean.com/ to get one.
Has anyone bought a car from them before?  If not, has anyone heard
anything about the quality of service?

I had been thinking of getting a 0 mile engine they offer, but am
torn
because I would like everything to be original- but I can't have it
both ways of course.  How are Original Delorean engines, assuming it
has been taken care of?  Are they prone to any problems? I remember
being told by someone something along the lines of engine fires? Was
he just pulling my leg? Or was there a year where that was an issue?

And if there's a site that I can be pointed to, that might answer
these and my other questions, that would be excelent.  I have been
searching around for them, but incase there's one that's great, and
not neccesarily easy to find I would love to check it out.

Any info anyone could help me out with would be really appreciated!
Thank you so much!

Lore

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:37:41 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: INDIGLO!

do you have any pics?

Joe vin 2850
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:38:45 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?

Well, actually it has been featured in movies going 88 MPH, so it does go
faster than 85 MPH.

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:49:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

Hey... I don't think you should apologize Joseph... you're just calling things as you see them, and Erik was just adding his input as well. We shouldn't be afraid to voice our opinions on here... isn't that the purpose of the list?

It's my opinion that there isn't much worth salvaging on that car either... I imagine transport costs would be more than you could sell stuff on the car for. And seeing as the body panels are all hung on my bungee cords, you run the risk of them blowing off while you're going down the road... LOL. It looks like there's not a straight panel on the car either, and it appears it has been painted in the past as well. The amount of work that would go into making these parts worthy of selling would be more than it's worth, IMO. It looks like it's even too far gone to be made into a future Rich W. project... hehe. But hey... if someone wants to do something, whatever it may be, with this car... great! I know I personally am breaking many peoples rules around here... I'm under 25 and own a DeLorean!!! So in the end it's a good thing that we don't all heed each others advice, and make our own judgements. But there's nothing wrong at all with sharing opinions! :-)

Louie Golden

See what you missed! Read the report on the 2003 DMC Open House Event at http://www.delorean.com/2003event.asp

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 20:54:31 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

The laws of the United States, in that era, required a maximum
"indicated" speed of 85 mph for all vehicles certified for sale in the
US.  This was a result of the nationwide 55 mph speed limit after the
big oil crisis.  I guess that the theory was that if the speedometer
showed a "top end" of 85 mph, then we would naturally want to go 55
mph.  I had a 1981 Suzuki GS850G motorcycle that could go 130 mph, but
had the same speedometer limitation.  There are a couple of retrofit
kits that change the speedo face to 140 mph or 170 mph, with
appropriate ratio adjustments to the speedo drive system.  BTW -
Winged1 has been to a calculated top speed of about 138 mph - the
charts in the latest issue of Gullwing magazine are useful in doing
the math, based on RPM in various gears.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1