From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1513
Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 8:50 AM

1. Re: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

2. Re: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

3. Re: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

4. DMCH guest
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Re: thermostat
From: Colin McDonell <cdmcali_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?
From: jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu

7. Re: AC quits working when the car stops moving?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Re: AC quits working when the car stops moving?
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

9. Fuel pressure in big hose vs little pipe
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

10. Re: Hi all! I'm new with a few questions...
From: Colin McDonell <cdmcali_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12
From: MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com

13. Re: Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

14. Houston to Chicago
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

15. RE: Re: thermostat
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

16. Florida get-together
From: "geek123y" <ken_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

17. Re: Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

20. Re: Reupholster dashboard /was Re: Reupholster Steering wheel and Binnacle
From: Nigel C Beatson <nbeatson1_at_dml_orange.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:13:48 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Top Speed 85 MPH?

I guess that depends on your point of view.  I'm sure your local
neighborhood highway patrolman probably wouldn't think it was that slow.
 (haha)

In the early 1980's the US Government had the bright idea that if you
only made speedometers go up to 85, then people wouldn't drive any
faster than that.  It didn't work, and was eventually repealed, but
every car made for a period in the 1980s, for the american road, has a
top speedometer reading of 85 mph.  The DeLorean's actual factory setup
top speed is around 130.  If this bothers you that much, you can buy
reproduction speedometers with 140 or 170 mph readouts.  Really just an
ego thing if you think about it though.

This has been covered before on the list...it would probably be a good
idea to research the archives to learn more about the car before making
a purchasing decision.

Good luck,
Josh Haldeman

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:31:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie G <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

Obviously you haven't done your homework very well. DeLoreans have a top speed of about 130 mph... still nothing terribly impressive... but better than 85 mph. All cars from the early '80s had 85 mph speedos... it was a federal law. DeLoreans also run about 9 seconds 0-60 (some figures suggest 8 seconds... others over 10 seconds...), and do roughly 17 seconds in the quarted mile _at_dml_ 79 mph I think. Kinda grim numbers, huh? At least the cars FEEL fast when you drive them...

Louie Golden
VIN 10115 Sanford, NC

See what you missed! Read the report on the 2003 DMC Open House Event at http://www.delorean.com/2003event.asp

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:55:07 -0600
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

[MODERATOR NOTE:  PLEASE STOP RESPONDING TO THIS THREAD!  So many DMLers are responding to correct the 85 MPH misconception that message are coming in faster than I can approve them.  Time to call the question answered.  Sorry, but I'm rejecting the rest of the messages and closing this thread.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderating team]

Top speed of a stock DeLorean is more on the order of 130mph. The federal
government mandated 85 mph speedos in cars from the early 80's. I had a 82
Mustang GT and it only had an 85mph speedo in it also. I used to peg it all
the time. GM sorta bypassed things with the 'vette IIRC. I think they used
a 140mph speedo but only put the numbers on it up to 85mph. Just the
increment lines the rest of the way up. I think the government's idea on
this was that if you couldn't see how fast you were going you wouldn't
drive that fast. Dumb idea and it went away a couple of years later.

There are some different speedo conversion kits out there if you think you
need one.

Mark N
VIN 6820

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 23:09:30 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMCH guest

  Hi,
    I was wondering who was the special guest from the original
company that was at the open house? I was unable to attend the show.
Sorry I'm so late posting my question but my enternet server was
acting up.
         Thanks a bill.
          Josh (no VIN)

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:56:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Colin McDonell <cdmcali_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: thermostat

I wasn't looking for a cheap part I was just looking for something that I could find locally so I could work on it on the weekend. I will have to move the car very soon and didn't want to wait for the part. I was looking at the water pump kit from specialtauto and was wondering if anyone knows if it is a quality package that they have with the pump and the thermostat included.

Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk> wrote:More of a FYI than anything else - I think Dan's right about this - but
our local motor factors here in England cross-referenced the thermostat
from what we gave him (Renault 30 or Volvo 760) to a Porsche 928 (!).

My new one cost me £13 so $18 sounds about right.

Oh, get a new gasket for it - it's not just a simple O-ring

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:36:34 -0500
From: jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu

I always get a kick out of this.  Just recently at the Midwest Connection Tech
Session, I saw a group of young kids going around to each car seeing which had
the speedo with the top speed, as though that was an inidcator of which was the
fastest car.

Remember, just because the speedo only goes up to 85 (as all stock DMCs for the
US market did) doesn't mean that's as fast as she goes.  As I understand it,
the 85MPH speedo was required by the federal government in 1981 as some sort of
pollution thing.  I suppose it was to discourage driving too fast (??).  The
actual top speed of the DeLorean is said to be about 130MPH.

It should be noted that replacement speedos are available if you know where to
look.  Replace the guage and have it recalibrated by a professional.

Jake Kamphoefner
(Had a great time in Chicago)

Quoting rrouya <RRouya_at_dml_ATTBI.com>:

> I was looking for a Delorean to buy when I saw a pic of the
> speedometer.  The top speed is only 85 MPH???!!  Whats up with that?
> Isnt that freakin slow as hell?

SIUE Web Mail

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 01:30:53 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: AC quits working when the car stops moving?

Andrew

If the car voltage drops that much you may have a bad battery or a
battery that is very run down. Batteries take a lot more time to
charge than people think. The alternator could be weak also. If the
battery is not 12.6 volts at all systems off, then it is bad or
under-charged. It could also be that a ground is not good. There is
the cable ground from the battery of course, then the ground strap
at the motor mount, and the really troublesome one on the frame
going to the central ground connection in the connection box in the
engine compartment and coming out in the car behind the backboard
above the relay compartment. The positive cable and/or wires could
be troubled connections too.

You will find it eventually. Keep testing.

Harold McElraft - 3354

  For the

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 20:50:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
Subject: Re: Re: AC quits working when the car stops moving?

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Harold McElraft wrote:

> If the car voltage drops that much you may have a bad battery or a
> battery that is very run down.

I've charged the battery all the way up several times and tested all the
cells.  I've also tried swapping with a known-good battery.  It's not
that.  Whenever I start with a fully charged battery, I get good voltage
in the system for a while, but then it slowly drops down, eventually to
about 11.5 at idle.  (With reasonable driving, though, the battery tends
to stay around 12.5, so it's nearly charged.)

> The alternator could be weak also.

This was my initial thought, particularly since my 20 year old Motorola
was oozing some sticky goop out the bottom.  I got a 140 amp replacement
from John Hervey (specialtauto.com) and that hasn't solved the problem.

I met up with John at the DMCH open house and he's letting me borrow a
second 140 amp alternator, so I can be sure something hasn't blown up the
voltage regulator on the first.  I have yet to find time to get them
swapped out, but I'll try that soon.

> It could also be that a ground is not good. There is the cable ground
> from the battery of course, then the ground strap at the motor mount,
> and the really troublesome one on the frame going to the central ground
> connection in the connection box in the engine compartment and coming
> out in the car behind the backboard above the relay compartment. The
> positive cable and/or wires could be troubled connections too.

Cleaned every last one of them with sand paper and WD40.  This actually
has helped.  I'm up probably 2 volts at speed and maybe half a volt at
idle.  A definite improvement, but not there yet.

> You will find it eventually. Keep testing.

Still hunting!  :)

-andrew
 Houston TX

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 01:50:57 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Fuel pressure in big hose vs little pipe

Okay, called a science buddy on this one. Apparently something called
"Bernoulli's Principle" proves that liquid moving through a
restriction actually LOSES pressure. But it gains velocity. Fuel
entering the filter after smaller diameter metal pipe is lower
pressure than it went in, but it's moving faster and with more energy.
Guess it needs that to clear the filter (it does go back to 1/4" hose
after the filter).

He told me to think of high pressure days vs low pressure days. High
pressure days are calm and pretty. Low pressure days are windy or
stormy. All the energy is in the fast moving LOW pressure air, not high.

In my garden hose example, water squeezing past my finger LOSES
pressure, but gains velocity. That's how it's able to shoot farther
than water just running out the end.

He also claims same principle lifts airplane wings (isn't the slow
moving high pressure air under them pushing up, it's the fast moving
low pressure air pulling from above). Don't flame me -- he said it.

I'm going back to vacuum leaks. Understand them...

Bill Robertson (humanities major, not science)

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 18:54:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Colin McDonell <cdmcali_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hi all! I'm new with a few questions...

I would say getting one from delorean.com would be the best bet for you. It will have all the recalls already installed and has been worked on by proffesionals that have seen all the problems over the years. if you want a used one get one from 81 to maybe late 82 when they were still made by the actually dmc company. after that they were made by kapac which was the company that took over after delorean had his legal troubles. these cars are 20 years old and with low miles means lots of sitting around. many of the parts will have been deteriorated with time. I have not heard of many fire problems. there are lots of overheating problems though but can be fixed with upgrades. which is the problem with my car at the moment. if you have more questions ask us here at the board or an actual delorean owner. there are lots of myths out there about the car which you can ask any delorean owner and they will tell you the truth. seems that us owners know more about the car than most mechanics. good luck on your search and if you have more questions we will be more than welcome to respond.             Colin (4626)

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 19:06:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Poor sad Delorean on Ebay_2415873039

You Just gotta wonder how this happens. How can any
car end up in this type of condition? Makes you kind
of shrike back in fear and wonder what the previous
owner looked like. Ahh! thats a scary thought! Gonna
hold my guns here, Looks like an interesting project.
has potential. is workable. Most definetly a full tear
down, or perhapse just a tap and let it fall apart,
but in any sence can be a very good project for the
young novice DeLorean fanatic who dosen't have alot of
money at the moment and is willing to "build his own"
per say. Once you strip it all apart it's going to
look like any other D and in fact probally would look
pretty sharp as a painted DeLorean. Might even want to
try some funky stuff with the front and rear facias.
go wild have some fun on this one. parting out is to
easy sorry me and my big mouth again :P

Todd
Vin 5386 (no longer a project D) :D
--- erikgeerdink <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Joseph and others,
> The seller of this delorean also bought 2 other
> great condition
> deloreans.  He is a used car sales men.  He
> contacted me a couple of
> weeks ago to ask some questions about getting the
> other cars on the
> road.  The parts car he has came with the other two
> cars.  The man
> is a very nice guy.  I talked with him in length
> about the cars and
> the history.  He really likes the delorean, but he
> is in it for the
> money.  Which, since he is a used car sales man, is
> ok.  He isn't
> blind siding anyone, he just doesn't know about the
> cars very well.
> Those panels ARE the original panels for the car.
> He walked me
> through the car in detail about what was
> wrong/missing, that sort of
> thing.
> I understand that his lack of an email to you may
> have caused
> suspision.  I hope this clears things up.
>
> Erik Geerdink
> 4512

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:06:34 -0500
From: MPolzin_at_dml_sen.com
Subject: Re: Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12

I don't have any of the parts you need, however the CPR he is referring to
is the Control Pressure Regulator, also referred to as the warm up
regulator. If you aren't willing to put a ton of time into a project I
wouldn't suggest buying this car. A buddy of mine just bought a car from
him, and he got to witness this car first hand this past weekend. There are
holes in the quarter panels, and many dents. He didn't think any of the
stainless was undamaged.

If you are willing to put a ton of effort in, then by all means, go for it.
Yikes!

Mike Polzin

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 02:33:35 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "supremeadmiralsenn" <
StadnickAd_at_dml_u...> wrote:
> I may be bidding on the ebay delorean that has seen so much grief. I
> am going to see how much it would cost to get the engine runnning and
> make it appear semi normal. Anybody have a used fuel distributor, set
> of fuel injectors, breather, front and rear fascias, drivers side
> window, louver panel (rear deck)? Also,he said it needed CPR. I'm not
> sure if this was a joke or if there's a part called CPR. (i'm
> clueless about these cars). If there is such a thing, i need that
> too. otherwise i'll need to call on my Boy Scout skills and give it
> mouth-to-exhaust pipe. Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY A PROJECT CAR WITHOUT RESEARCHING IT
FIRST!!!!!! Buying a car just because it's "affordable" is a BIG mistake! Unless
you've prior experience with car restoration in the past (and yes, I've learned
that there is quite a difference between repair and restore), you shouldn't
even really take on a project this big! And yes, there is such a thing as a CPR.
It's short for, "Control Pressure Regulator", and is one of the critial parts of the
K-Jetronic fuel injection system. Chances are, the CPR was stripped out for a
core charge. And from the looks of things, the Fuel Distributor has had the
same thing done to it. Pretty common to see on old CIS systems in junkyards.
I've yet to see an old Volvo that still has these parts intact.

Anywho, onto the car!

The body panels appear to be in great shape for the most part. They all
appear to be straight, with discoloration only comming from left over paint,
primer, and the roughness of the sanding that has occured on the car.
However, due to their current condition, it would be a better solution to repaint
the body panels, and thus the entire car. Rebrushing them would probably do
more harm than hitting them with a D/A sander to primer them.

Quite a few parts are missing from the exterior of the car, and juding by the
absense of the particular ones that are missing (and the condition of the ones
that remain), I'd say that this is an unfinished project car that someone gave
up upon along time ago. However, that doesn't mean that the old parts are all
lost. They may be either in the car, or the previous owner may be able to
locate them. Although don't put money on option 2 here.

For the most part, the car appears to be quite restorable. Paint the body, the
existing facia, along with a 2nd facia to replace the missing one, yank the
entire interior, customize it and recover a few pieces, and it would be a nice
car. But, unfortunetly, looks are decieving.

The current owner has stated that there are missing parts on the fuel injection
system. And looking at the condition of a few exposted steel peieces, this car
is having to contend with a bit of a rust problem. Missing fuel system parts are
not really my concern, so much as exposed openings into the engine to allow
allot of moisture and dirt in. And I would also want to extend this concern to
the chassis of course. In the end though, the engine in this car is of quite a
concern to me. Aftermarket turbo kit coupled with an exposed engine =
questionable condition. This would be 2nd my biggest worry of all. The first
being the chassis. If that's wasted, chances of this car ever seeing the road
again are slim to none, due to the remaining amount of work needed to repair
it.

In addition, it appears that the car has also been in a rear-end collision at
some point. The underbody on the drivers side has been damaged pretty
good wiht a rather large crack, and thier appears to be daylight visible thru the
rear pontoon. In addition, the chassis brace next to the engine appears to be
bent in a manner that is consistant with a DeLorean being hit from behind.
More evidence of this is apparent, as the drivers side quarter panel doesn't
appear to be original. The passenger side panel has mounting points for a
luggage rack, but the drivers side does not. I'd also venture to say that the
drivers side panel has been removed to accomodate someone doing some
fiberglass repair to the underbody. Although, that is only speculation on my
part. If anyone else can look at the pictures, can tell me that what I see is
incorrect, please let me know by all means.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that while this isn't nessisarily a parts car, it
isn't a restorable one. Restorable in this case meaning "Able to bring back to
showroom quality." It is though an excellent canidate for being a customized
car. A nice paint job, a killer interior, and a good professional repair of the rear
pontoon & chassis, and the car would have an excellent chance at really
being something. Although, it'll never be what it was before. Not better, but
different. A project like this, I wouldn't expect to be completed by someone in
less than 3 years. Make no mistake, this is a car that needs more devotion to
restore it, than it does money. An off-chassis restoration is really the only
choice for this car.

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 02:38:02 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Houston to Chicago

We would like to thank DMC Houston and the Chicago area group for the
great time had over the last week.  It was good to see old friends
again and have the opportunity to make new ones.

Our Yellow Project D made it to both events and we had the chance to
speak with many of you that have enjoyed the car and the articles we
have started doing on it.  Our intent is to use this car to
illustrate many of the ideas and topics that come up in discussions
about customizing the D.  We have a long list of ideas that many of
you will enjoy seeing in future issues.

The extremely positive feed back we have received from the vendors
and subscribers indicates we are on the right track.  We will
continue to work hard to serve the D community with a publication
that contains useful and interesting reading.  Future issues are
going to bring some things to the D community that should just make
you say "Wow, I've been waiting to see something like this."

Again, thanks for the kind and enthusiastic reception to the magazine
and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Ron & Cheryl Wester
Gullwing Magazine

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:52:16 -0700
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Colin, Not trying to be smart, but why don't you ask the source. The pumps
are new and the correct parts along with the package. MY phones is open as
the web site shows till 10:pm in the evening CST. Also, Anything ordered
that I can ship wednesday or before will arive for the weekend.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 03:32:49 -0000
From: "geek123y" <ken_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>
Subject: Florida get-together

Hi everyone!

We are getting a great response to our posting for a get together in
Florida.
Delorean enthusiasts as well as owners are welcome to join in,
obviously having a car is a plus.

There is talk of bringing in food and arranging access to Downtown
Disney.

Any help or ideas are welcome.

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 03:40:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

This looks more like a collection of parts that happen to appear
Delorean-like than an actual car. I would be very suspicious of the
car's pedigree. I would want to know that it has a title that you can
use to get the car registered and a good vin plate. If the seller
can't produce a "clean" title then all you will ever have is a
collection of Delorean appearing parts. If you don't know what the
"CPR" is then you are in for a long and expensive education and my
advice would be to pass this one up. Finding and then aquiring all of
the little pieces that are missing will turn out to be a very long and
costly process.

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 01:41:11 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 5/20/2003 9:10:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
StadnickAd_at_dml_usa.irene.net writes:

> Also,he said it needed CPR. I'm not
> sure if this was a joke or if there's a part called CPR.

Control Pressure Regulator  part # 102353

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 01:09:08 -0500
From: "Jake" <jkampho_at_dml_siue.edu>

CPR=Control Pressure Regulator.  It's a legit part --lot's of info in the
archives.  It looks like the car needs a lot more than just what you listed.
If you bid on the car, make sure you know what you're getting yourself in

Jake

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:24:44 +0100 (BST)
From: Nigel C Beatson <nbeatson1_at_dml_orange.net>
Subject: Re: Reupholster dashboard /was Re: Reupholster Steering wheel and Binnacle

In response to Eric's question about recovering the dashboard, I hace recovered my cracked dashboard in black leather. The most difficult part of the process I found was the removal and replacement of the dash but I found with plenty of care, patience and a few scraped knuckles and choice words that the job wasn't as bad as I first expected.

Nigel
vin 02677

PS. Removing the old damaged vinyl covering from the dash itself can be time consuming.