From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1522
Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 1:41 PM

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "thomaspaulmccoy" <thomaspaulmccoy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>

11. Wet ignition problems
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Bosch ignition wires
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: 5w30?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?/5w30?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

15. Re: 5w30?
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

16. Re: Re: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?/5w30?
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:15:25 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: My no start situation...

Your problem is most likely in a component that is exposed in the
engine compartment. I am suspecting two possibilities. The fuel pump
is not running because the RPM pickup on the coil is not making a
good connection or, more likely, the voltage increase relay in the
engine compartment needs to be removed and reinserted or replaced.

This relay is often overlooked and can cause a hard start if it is
not supplying the increased voltage to the coil when the starter
motor is turning. The connections on the relay are all exposed and
removing and reinserting it can assure a good contact. Check the
blue/yellow wire connection down by the starter motor too. This is
the voltage supply wire going to that relay. Sometimes that plug-
connection can become contaminated. Smearing a little "bulb grease"
on the connections will keep moisture off of them. It is probably a
good idea to check and clean all the connections on the ignition
resistor while you're at it.

Check and clean the coil wires at the coil connection. A
little "bulb grease" on the connections will help keep the moisture
out too.

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:31:22 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?

I don't think that a real expert would suggest you to use
synthetic oil in this engine. It wasn't designed for that and would never
benefit of that oil. I also never heared about 10W30 oil. Isn't 10W40
more common in the states like it is here in Europe ?

Simply don't buy the cheapest and don't pay extra because you buy it in
a neat plastic container which already costs half of the oils price itself.

Elvis & 6548 with 7 liters 10W40

O.K. guys,  I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the archives
regarding the correct weight oil to be used in our cars. The overwhelming
majority of experts in our midst recommend using 10w-30 under most
conditions. Even the majority of Volvo guys say exactly the same thing with
regard to the PRV. However, I was cruising through my copy of the DMC
Workshop Manual and found a disturbing disclaimer under "Recommended
Lubricants, Fluids and Capacities" (Section A:05:01) It states: "THE USE OF
10W-30 MULTIGRADE OIL IS NOT ADVISABLE UNLESS THE TEMPERATURE WARRANTS IT."
The average temperature up here in Boston during the summer months can vary
from 65 to 95 degrees. They suggest in the manual that the 10w-30 only be
used in the event of hard cold weather starting. I've been considering using
the 20w-50 synthetic in accordance with their recommendation. Anyone want to
shed some light on this?
Thanks,
Rustproof

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:22:07 -0700
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>
Subject: Phil Haro

To: Phil Haro,

Phil, that's a beautiful picture of your car on Page 29 of the Winter 2003 "deloreans". If you are part of this list, I'd appreciate it if you'd contact me off list. I live only 75 miles from you and would like to e-mail you.

Many thanks.

Joe Thome

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:13:44 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: "Bruce, Almighty" connection

Went to see "Bruce, Almighty" last night...there was a scene in it where
the town, ("Buffalo") was rioting.  They appear to have used the back
lot at Universal Studios for the scene, which, as we all know, was made
famous by the BTTF movies!

Pretty cool from the DeLorean nerd perspective. (haha)

Ciao,
Josh Haldeman

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:06:45 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?

I suspect the reason there is so much suspicion and confusion about
this topic is because most the information we get on the subject is
from the folks that sell oil and, the manuals we have are making
references and using information that is extremely outdated.
Certainly, since the DeLorean was manufactured, considerable
advancements have been made in lubricating technologies. I have
personally fretted about this subject until I got some engineering
information from a petroleum engineer friend some years ago and then
did some reading on the subject.

There are many factors that go into recommendations for an engine
lubricant. The engine tolerances, operating temperatures, emissions,
oil capacity, circulating efficiencies in the engine just to name
some. But the goals are proper flow, protection at high and low
temps, and cleanliness.

Getting to the bottom line  The DeLorean engine should use 40
weight oil. Whatever W you want to use for winter or cold weather
starting should be based on your local conditions. In Houston 10W-40
works most of the time. In the Northeast (NJ) I use 5W-40 Synthetic.
I would say for most locations and using conventional oil, stay with
10W-40.

Actually there are probably 16 or so specifications one may want to
review when deciding on an engine lubricant. However, you need not
be that discerning if you stick to major brands like Shell,
Valvoline, Pennzoil, Exxon, Havoline, etc. and yes, full synthetic
lubricants are far superior to conventional oils.

My personal experience - when I lived in Houston I drove a DeLorean
everyday for ten years and over 80,000 miles I used 10W-40 Exxon. My
petroleum engineer friend worked for Exxon and he showed me that, in
convential motor oils, the add-pack was everything and only the
majors had the quality control to do it right. The oil and filter
was changed every 3-6,000 miles depending on when I had the time,
etc. However, today I use full synthetic 5w-40 and change the oil
once a year. Last year I put about 7,000 miles on the oil.

The filter is probably as important as the lubricant. Don't use
discount brand filters  there is a real difference in quality here.
The original Purflux, or Purolator, Bosch, Wix, or NAPA Gold is
best. I personally do not like Fram. I use NAPA Gold 1085 (a cross
with the Purolator L14670) because it is a large filter (I have the
45 degree elbow on the oil sender) and I like the larger filter
capacity.

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:38:42 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: hard start

I would first suspect worn parts in the ignition system. With 23,000
miles worn plugs, old cap and rotor, breaking down ignition wires can
all contribute to hard start. If these parts haven't been replaced or
are more than 10 years old I would start with them. Also inspect the
wires at the white ballast resistors on the firewall on the left side
and the relay just below them. Make sure everything is clean and
tight. After the ignition system then look at the fuel system. The
next time you have to start it cold squirt JUST A LITTLE starting
fluid (ether) in the intake. If it starts right up then there may be a
problem with the fuel pump, pickup hose, cold start valve, wiring etc.
Don't think you are going to fix this by twiddling some adjustment,
look for the problem and fix it. Troubles that seem to go away by
themselves always come back at the worst time possable! When the motor
is running check the frequency valve for buzzing, a dead Lambda makes
the car run like sh-t.

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:42:18 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Jonas

It sounds like you are satisfied with the way it runs after it warms
up. If that is true, then the problem is most likely the cold start
valve - or, because it now does not run correctly when it first
starts, the warmup regulator. I assume hot-starts are OK?

The cold start valve is easy enough to check, just follow Hervey's
instructions, however, the regualtor is another thing. You may just
want to replace it and see, rather than trying to find the special
equipment for the fuel system to test it.

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:52:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Generally on a car that has trouble starting after a rain or high
humudity conditions it has a secondary ignition system breaking down.
If it has been a while replace the spark plugs, cap, rotor, ignition
wires, and maybe even the coil. Like the hard cold start inspect the
wires at the ballast resistor and the relay just below, everything
must be dry, clean, and tight. The fuel system usually is not affected
by rain unless you are getting water directly into the fuel! A problem
with the pick-up hose or the fuel pump will generally cause you grief
in nice weather AND bad weather. Since there is no harm in inspecting
it do it anyway and replace any parts that are wrong, deteriorated,
broken, etc. The alternator has no direct effect on starting of the
motor. The trouble is if the ignition wires are breaking down inside
the wells where they attach to the spark plugs you will never see it.
As the spark plugs wear the gap increases increasing the required
voltage needed but the wires break down and the voltage leaks out
before it can get to the plugs. Don't skimp on these parts, get the
best you can, the best place is a Delorean vender or next choice a
Volvo dealer. Don't go to the local parts store, you may not get the
best quality there.

Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 00:36:19 -0000
From: "thomaspaulmccoy" <thomaspaulmccoy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: 5w30?

What are the disadvantages of using 5-30?

GM specifies 5-30 in my new car (37K miles so far - no probs).  If
one was looking to boost DMC performance, wouldn't 5-30 be a decent
solution?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_l...>
wrote:
> I would only reccomend using 20w50 in temperatures that are
constanly above 90F both day AND night!

I second that statement... stay away from 20-50!  A few high revs or
redlines in cold weather & you're going to see an increase in
driveway oil spots.

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:31:14 -0400
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: RE: Parts for a sad ebay DMC-12

Claude,
    Good point, and I agree with you on the "$20,000" rule, but I think
it bears mentioning that the rule only applies over a limited range of
purchase prices, and of course it depends on whether you want a
"needs-nothing" daily driver, or you want a concours-quality
restoration.  Personally, I think that $17,500 is on the low side for
completing a typical $2500 DeLorean, but there are quite a few out there
selling for $18k or $19k that would need little if any additional
investment to get them up to the level of a looks great/runs great daily
driver.  There are even a lot that sell for $14k to $15k that probably
don't need five or six thousand in parts to complete them, unless you
happened to buy one that turned out to be 1,000 miles away from needing
a complete engine and tranny rebuild.
	But your point remains valid, that a low-dollar initial
investment just means that you're going to have to fork over that much
more to get the car up to any given level of appearance/reliability.  I
would add that you're generally better off in the long run saving up the
money and buying a car that someone else has completed all or most of
the work on already.  More than once, I've bought a car and paid less
for it than the total of the receipts for work that had previously been
completed on it.  In those cases, it's almost like I got the car for
free, and the restoration at a discount!

Scott Gardner

Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 02:57:38 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Wet ignition problems

Water plays havoc with high tension electricity -- everything from the
coil forward. Will create a short or ground very quickly.

If car won't start, put a timing light on the coil output. You've got
to have fire there for any hope of starting.

You can use a hair dryer or heat gun (not too close!) to dry things out.

On a clear day, with car running gently soak various ignition
components using thin stream of water from garden hose. If moisture's
getting in, this will find it.

I was promised new cap & rotor by previous owner. Think now it was
factory (Renault) original. Car had bad "English Morning" syndrome.
Also would not start in even light rain. Hitting distributor with
garden hose killed every time (was only component susceptible to
water). In all fairness to cap & rotor, could have been terminal end
of ignition wires too. Moot point -- new cap, rotor, and wires make my
car startable virtually under water. Funny thing is the old components
had no visible cracks or deterioration.

Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 03:11:17 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Bosch ignition wires

I'm not too keen on Bosch spark plugs (am running HEI), but their
wires really are nice. Are spiral core, not solid, which is
recommended for high voltage coils. Are also less expensive from
DeLorean vendor than parts house cross reference.

Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 03:52:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: 5w30?

It is dangerous to compare your daily driver to the Delorean. For one
thing (very important!) the Delorean has mechanical lifters not
hydraulic. The relationship between the camshaft and the tappets is
very important in the selection of a motor oil. Another critical
factor is the clearances built into the motor and another is the type
of piston. It is always best to go with the manufacturers
recomendation but with today's improved oils as long as you purchase a
premium branded oil close to what was recomended you will be fine. You
will not find much of a performance increase in the selection of an
oil, look for longevity. Change the oil once a year with the filter
and you will be fine. More important than the selection of the oil is
to NEVER overheat the engine!!!!!!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "thomaspaulmccoy"

Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 05:21:35 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?/5w30?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> There are many factors that go into recommendations for an engine
> lubricant. The engine tolerances, operating temperatures, emissions,
> oil capacity, circulating efficiencies in the engine just to name
> some. But the goals are proper flow, protection at high and low
> temps, and cleanliness.
<SNIP>

Absolutely right on all counts here.  Not every engine is going to respond the
exact same way to every oil. And yes, lubricating technology has come quite a
ways since the D first hit the pavement. Both in preventing thermal
breakdown, and in cleaning detergents. A great example of that is my car. The
first couple of oil changes that I did around the 3500 or so mile marks, the oil
was dark, and nasty. Since using regular conventional oils, my oil is now
much cleaner, an has gone from a nasty, almost black, to a dark gold color
when changing. And it runs much smoother. As far as what brand to use, the
most reccomended brands that I've heard are Castrol, Mobile, and Exxon
based lubricants, as they come from Gulf Coast wells. I've heard that
Pennzoil, and Valvoline are not quite as good, because they originate from
Pennsylvania wells that produce a higher parrafin (wax) content. Of course I
would assume that strict refinement would remove the wax just the same, but
who knows. Since this is speculation, take it as just that. But if anyone has any
online resources that could point out differences in brands, please share the
links!

Manufacturer specifications when it comes to performance/emissions/etc... do
indeed play a HUGE part in how the determine what types of oil to use in their
motors. Many GM and Ford engines as it seems state to only use 5w30 oil.
This surprised me quite a bit too as the vehicles that use this weight such as
Grand Am/Prix and Explorers have engines that are designed for
performance in either driving fast, or towning. But looking at newer
technologies such as more efficient engine/transmission cooling, better
filtration, and more efficient internal lubrication, and combustion management
computers, engines won't break down, nor dirty the oils are quickly. Hence
they can run these lighter oils to decrease emissions, and increase
performance.

And efficient filtration plays a HUGE roll as well. Learning from past
experience with my DeLorean, I only buy filters from the manufacturer. Purflux
for the DeLorean, and Motorcraft for the Ford (which they sell _at_dml_ Wal Mart
now). FRAM is junk from several sources I've seen online, and from the
photos you can see in the archives of one that failed while it was on my car.

Now when it comes to the DeLorean, I myself play it safe, and stick with the
factory guidelines. I *might* be able to get away with a lighter oil weight, but
what I run works just fine. Going by what the owners manual says, and by how
my engine responds, I'm doing just fine. BUT, I do not see a need to ever go
below 10w40. The kind of temperatures that warrant that light wieght will
probably have such inclimate weather, that your car is going to be in storage
anyways. But then again, it just depends upon what your engine likes. If you
live in an area where it gets cold enough in the evenings, and the motor runs
easier on 5w40, then yes, I'd say by all means, use it. Going over 15w40 is
unessisary too, unless you live in the Southwestern Mojave, and drive your
car hard in 100+ temperatures. If it gets cold, and you've got 20w50 in you
DeLorean, she will be pretty crankywhen you start her up cold. And once you
do get her started, the engine will not respond properly. Hit the gas, and shell
rev up slowly. Don't give her enough gas, and she'll lug. Plus when running
20w50, I've noticed a great deal more oil spattered on my air filter from the
breather hose, and more soot in the tailpipes.

The biggest unresolved debate is going to be regular vs. synthetic. Engines
designed specificly for synthetic have smaller sized oil passeges that are
designed the the smaller, more uniformed HC chains in synthetic. Regular
oils will not flow as well, and can hence impeed lubrication in these engines.
regular engines can go either way. I do just fine with regular, conventional oil,
so I stick with it. Plus the higher cost is a factor too. 7 quarts of syntheic gets
pretty expensive. Granted though, you don' have to change it as often. If
anyone here can relate some experience in switching their PRV over to
synthetic, and can give some details on changes that they've noticed, I've love
to hear!

Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 07:08:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

( Moderators note: This subject can be debated endlessly and enough has been said now and in the archives. Unless something entirely new comes up I'm killing the thread. )

On Wed, 28 May 2003, thomaspaulmccoy wrote:

> What are the disadvantages of using 5-30?

Similar to the disadvantages of 10W40.  Oil with a very wide viscosity
range has more chemicals in it and depends on them more.  As a result it
is more prone to breaking down and suffers more as it gets contaminated,
and the lubrication qualities are less at the temperature extremes.  A
5W30 oil is really 5-weight oil with thickeners in it to make it act like
30-weight oil when hot.

Most engines spend most of their running time hot, so the net effect of a
wide viscosity range is that your oil is basically just not as good during
normal to hot conditions.

Depending on your climate 10W30 (cold), 15W40 (moderate to hot) or 20W50
(very hot, like Florida or Texas in the summer) are good oil viscosities
to use.

Note that this does not apply to synthetic oils.  Synthetic oils can have
wider viscosity ranges without any of the problem of ordinary oil.  If you
are using fully synthetic oil (which very well may be what GM is using in
your new car) 5W30 is better than normal 10W30.  But stay away from plain
5W30.

> was looking to boost DMC performance, wouldn't 5-30 be a decent
> solution?

Oil thickness doesn't have that much of an impact on performance.  It can
improve your fuel economy, though - that's probably why GM is specifying
the thinner oil (even if it isn't as good for the engine long-term).

Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 08:15:33 -0600
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?/5w30?

At 05:21 AM 5/28/2003 -0000, you wrote:
><SNIP>
> But if anyone has any
>online resources that could point out differences in brands, please share
the
>links!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/  And check out the discussion forums.
Everything you ever wanted to know about oil, filters, and other types of
lubricants. Do searches for old discussions, or ask your questions. There
is also a forum that posts used oil analysis results. This can really point
out a bad oil.

Mark N
VIN 6820
--was running 10w-40 Castrol, now running Mobil 1 15w-50