From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1527
Date: Sunday, June 01, 2003 9:11 AM

From: "powermikeintoshg3" <powermikeintoshg3_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>

From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_attbi.com>

From: "dsstriker" <dsstriker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "frenkieboy" <j.m.s.c.lommen_at_dml_hccnet.nl>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

From: "geek123y" <ken_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

12. RE: Dash Led's
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. Re: PRV-6 in Peugot
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. Re: Florida get-together
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

15. Re: PRV-6 in Peugot & Alternative.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

16. RE: delorean engines...miles or hours?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>

17. Re: delorean engines...miles or hours?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Catastrophic Engine Failure Revisited
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

19. Re: Trunk/Bonnet Struts
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_prodigy.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 01:14:30 -0000
From: "powermikeintoshg3" <powermikeintoshg3_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Loking for a DeLorean

Hi all.

I am planning to purchase a DeLorean as early as this summer. Can
someone please give me a rundown of where I should look and what I should
look for?

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 03:16:23 -0000
From: "stitsien" <stitsien_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: New EFI system worth a look at

Just for all you out there looking at ways to replace the FI system
on the PRV with EFI this looks promising.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

It's an electronic fuel injection computer that looks to be well....
universal. Something to look at even thinking if I don't sell my D
of do this looks like the various auto hack groups are doing this to
just about every kinda car you can think of too :)

Matthew Stits

Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 20:50:09 -0700
From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: Dash Led's

Hello,
I purchased 1156 Leds for my taillights a month ago. When I did that I went ahead and purchased a pair of Hyper-brite Red 194's. I wanted to see if they were brite enough and would fit in the dash and the doors.
They did, but I never ordered the rest to finish the project. I have been running the two led's in the parking brake light and the oil light. And they are brighter.
Sorry for giving you guys the impression it was all led installed.
But now since this subject has come up I will put the order in tonight and if you wait a week I will take pictures and give prices.

I installed the two red led's that I have in the illumination holes right above the Tach and Speedo.
And yes, they dim with the rheostat.
I took pictures of the incandescent versus the red led illumination. Much brighter and looks cool.

Here's what I going to purchase:
6 Red Warning Lights - Hyper-brite Red (I already have 2 so I just need to order 4).
5 Dash Illumination - Hyper-brite Red
1 Amber Fuel Light - Hyper-Brite Amber
3 Green Turn/Low Beam - Hyper-Brite White
1 Blue High Beam - Hyper-Brite White

The reason why I'm going with white for the greens and blue is, it seems to show up the lens color better than using blue, amber or red led behind it. I have these individual colored led's to play with, but I didn't have green so I could tell you how it might look.
Since I will be ordering 4 Hyper-Brite White Led's I will take comparison pictures for you of the Hyper-Brite White illumination versus the stock incandescent.

I took pictures without a flash so its hard to make out the stock incandescent lighting up the dash. Pictures really don't do the led's justice.

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 04:17:55 -0000
From: "dsstriker" <dsstriker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: current drain

hi, any advice on current drain problems with dmcs? I am looking at a
delorean  to possibly purchase but it has this issue, the owner has a
quick disconnect on the battery b/c of a drain problem. What should i
look for? thanks..

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 08:28:54 -0000
From: "frenkieboy" <j.m.s.c.lommen_at_dml_hccnet.nl>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1520

Dear Kjell and other readers od DML,

I am an overseas member of the DOA, and I am a member for over 10
years now. My interest in the DOA was purely based on the DW
magazine, since there are not much activities in Europe, neither is
there a dutch chapter.
I also wrote articles that were published, but that was some time
ago. Over the years the tech articles, that were extensively
published in the nineties, disappeared and made room for
the "Owners" of the DW publishing their products. Now, I do not want
to overcritisize, as some people tend to do, but I think they make a
point. DW has an image problem, that should heve been eliminated. Of
course, you never can make everybody happy, but there are so many
people complaining about the club and the magazine, the board can't
be blind for aal those comments.
I personally think it's always nice to see great pictures of other
people's Deloreans and get the latest offers in parts, but I'm not
willing to pay $80.- a year for that. That information can be
obtained from the internet as well and practically for free. So from
this summer on I also will discontinue my subscribtion. Still
looking for a replacement, I'm open to suggestions.
When I joined the DOA was the only worldwide orginazation that made
a difference. I really hope they will come back, but I doubt it. But
thanks anyway for the magazines that helped me be a more happy
deLorean driver.
And to all of those that want to react, feel free to do so.

Kind regards,

Frank Lommen
The Netherlands
V.I.N. #006183
E-mail : dmc.frenkie_at_dml_home.nl

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, myhrek_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Re: (DML) Digest Number 1520, Message 11.
> In some quarters, said 'disappointment' has lingered for years.
Some of

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 14:21:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: current drain

Have the battery fully charged and tested for capacity (it could be
old and doesn't hold a full charge anymore). The other problem area is
the door light switches, sometimes the rubber caps are missing or worn
so the lights don't shut off when you close the doors. You can cut a
short piece of rubber vacuum tubing and slip it on the plunger of the
switch. Make sure the cigarette lighter isn't stuck and there are no
coins in it. A bad alternator could kill the battery too if it has a
bad diode. Sometimes it is accessories like burglar alarms or remote
starters wired incorrectly that can cause the drain. A battery master
switch is a good idea anyway.

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 11:24:42 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Trunk/Bonnet Struts

Does anyone have any experience with using a pair of "Strong Arm" 4220 gas
struts for the trunk/bonnet?  They seem to be about 1/2" longer than the ones I
have on now.  They also seem very (? too) strong.  It takes a lot of effort to
start closing the hood.  They may have damping because they go up slowly.
They are discounted at $24.95 each.

(As an aside, when I try to search the archives of this list it seems that I
can only search a portion at a time.   Is there a more complete method?)

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:19:52 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

Frank,

This same thread came up almost a year ago because of the same
disappointments that other readers, including ourselves, had
observed.  We decided at that time to produce our own magazine for
the DeLorean community that would bring back the material and type of
coverage everyone had been expressing a desire for.  I'm not trying
to take this as an opportunity to promote our magazine only, but to
inform you of the other options available.

1.  "deloreans"  Pub. by DMC Houston (quarterly)
2.  "Gullwing Magazine"  Pub. by Ron & Cheryl Wester (quarterly)
3.  "DeLorean Car Show Magazine"  Pub. by Ken Koncelik  (semi-annual)

We're sure the other magazines would be happy to provide you with
information on their publications.  If you would like information, or
readers comments on Gullwing Magazine, please feel free to contact us.

Ron & Cheryl Wester
GullwingMagazine(at)juno.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "frenkieboy" <j.m.s.c.lommen_at_dml_h...>

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 18:05:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: PRV-6 in Peugot

I was just at a place that used to be a Peugot dealer and still
repairs them for people that still drive them. They mentioned that the
PRV-6 in the Delorean is the same as in the Peugot 505. I was
wondering if anyone can confirm that and just how similar they really
are. Also just what does it mean if they are similar, how common are
they and would it be useful to get a dead 505?

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 15:09:39 EDT
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: delorean engines...miles or hours?

Just a curious question about automobile engines. I know the standard way to
tell how "used" an engine is is by the mileage. On our cars since many have
sat, had broken angle drives or had sporadic periods of use I was wondering
other ways to tell how much use an engine has had. Just like the way the car was
treated the past 20 years shoud be more important then 81,82 or 83 I would
think there are other ways to help judge an engines life.

Since my brother is an avid boater they refer to an engines age by the
"hours" it has logged. Which made me wonder which is truly more accurate, hours or
miles??? Are there ways on an engine that measure things that may be more
important then miles? Can you tell how many hours your engine has logged?.....
Since I have a relativley high mileage car this tells me he simply drove it alot
and it was well maintained to do so....

MikeC

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 19:50:55 -0000
From: "geek123y" <ken_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>
Subject: Florida get-together

Florida DeLorean Owners:

We have tentatively set a date for the get-together for Sunday, June
15th. Just a reminder  it is Father's Day.  We are just trying to
get an idea of how many people will be attending.  Please let us
know.

The designated meeting spot is going to be my home in Sorrento at
approximately 10:00a.m. We know some of you might be arriving a
little later since you are driving some distance.

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 15:21:18 -0700
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Dash Led's

Mike and Group. Don't replace the battery light with the Led's. The 161 bulb
must be used for the alternator as the battery light. It's a voltage dropper
and ballast for the alternator regulator. If you replace it the regulator
will most likly blow.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:49:23 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: PRV-6 in Peugot

The 505 in Europe had a carbed version of the 2.7 odd-fire PRV. Same
block and crank... that's about it. My project car from Germany had a
half-hearted attempt at dropping one in when the previous engine went pop.

Martin

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:04:16 -0400
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: Florida get-together

( please respond directly to Ken regarding the Florida get together instead of using the list.  Moderator )

I'll be coming, may bring my brother. There is a local owner that I am
going to tell it to but I'm unsure if he'll come or not. I emailed you a
couple times but never heard anything back and I figure you will get this.

Samuel

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 21:25:21 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: PRV-6 in Peugot & Alternative.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_w...> wrote:
> I was just at a place that used to be a Peugot dealer and still
> repairs them for people that still drive them. They mentioned that the
> PRV-6 in the Delorean is the same as in the Peugot 505. I was
> wondering if anyone can confirm that and just how similar they really
> are. Also just what does it mean if they are similar, how common are
> they and would it be useful to get a dead 505?

The first question would be how does the mechanic know that they're the
same exact engine? Appearance wise, I'm sure that they're quite identical.
However, based upon this same observation, even the PRV in the Volvo 260
appears to be the same as well, which we all know, they are not.

The online listing of PRV variants isn't totally complete, so the key factors of
engine version, and the compression ratios are missing. Both are indeed
listed as having a displacement of 2.8 litres. However, the list does say that
the Peugoet 505 motor is fueled by LH-Jetronic, and we know that the
DeLorean utilizes K-Jetronic. So we know that this makes them totally
different in the sense that the 505 version at least doesn't have the heads
drilled to accomodate the Fuel Injectors, and their supports.

Is there anything worth salvaging/adapting off of the 505 motors? Who knows.
If you're really interested, the only way would be to pick up a service manual
of some sort to check out the details such as the compression ratio and
whatnot. Otherwise, the comparison guide does show that the motor puts out
slightly more BHP than the DeLorean. But then again, even DMCH has
shown that with a little coaxing, the PRV is able to pump out qute a bit more
power. So technicly, it could be the exact same motor, but with only a slightly
better exhaust system.

If it were me, I'd just get a nice, low-milage Eagle Premier motor (early '88-'90
version w/electical distrib.), swap the lower crankcase & oil pan, drill the
heads to install supports, for the Fuel Injectors, and then just swap intake, and
fuel injection systems on over. Instant increase in displacement and BHP
that's even-fire, with minimal modifications (the hardest parts would be the
drilling, and the installation/removal of the motor). Then just slap on a nice
free-flow exhaust, and you'll be ready to go. No EFI systems to screw with
installing, buying, tuning, or even building for that matter. Just tune the K-Jet,
system and you'd be all set.

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 18:16:17 -0400
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: RE: delorean engines...miles or hours?

	One thing to keep in mind is that the engines in different
vehicles are used in different ways.  In my plane, engine age is
determined in hours, as well, but part of the reason is that the engine
and the props are always turning at a constant speed, with the amount of
thrust being varied by changing the blade angle of the props as they
spin through the air.  In this case, engine hours are a pretty good
indication of wear, since one hour is much like the next.
	In a car, to use engine hours as a measure of wear, you run up
against the problem of not knowing whether a particular hour was spent
idling, at part throttle, or at full throttle.

Scott Gardner

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 23:04:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

There are many things you can look at to estimate age-wear on an
automobile. The wear on the clutch, and brake pedal pads for instance.
The compression in an engine for another. The general apperance of the
car. If the NCT's are still on it and the amount of wear. Compare the
Lambda counter to the odometer for a cross-check. If there are any new
looking parts on the speedo like a new cable or angle drive. At this
point it matters more how it was taken care of than an actual # of
miles. Look at the title, that is a legal representation of the
mileage at the time you bought the car. Someone sweared to the mileage
of the car at the time of sale. I like to see what the presets are on
the radio, the type of music listened to can tell the way a person
drives a car!

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 23:22:21 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Catastrophic Engine Failure Revisited

....soooooooo after a solid month of rain, the weather is clearing,
and the cash is flowing.

I've removed the transmission to replace the blown crank seal. One of
the allen head bolts for the clutch pressure plate stripped out. I
tried an "easy out" on it but the thing actually -twisted- in the
hole. I knew it was going to snap off so I took it out. I've started
drilling it out, and I've made it straight and true so I'm in no
danger of dorking up the flywheel but if anyone knows of an easier
way to get it out, I'm all ears.

I also ordered the big enchilada "engine recon kit" to fix the blown
headgaskets when I get that far. Then I'll get to work standing up. I
can't wait.

Rich
#5335 -MD

Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 19:30:28 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Trunk/Bonnet Struts

Yes, I have tried them...Along with every other suggested substitute in all
the cross-reference lists. In short, none actually work correctly and the
set you have is probably the worst of all! You will end up distorting your
hood and you will eventually crack the composite. My advice is to do exactly
what I did. Bite the bullet and get a set from one of the Delorean guys. I
got mine from John Hervey and I couldn't be happier.
Rustproof
Vin #1559