From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1529
Date: Monday, June 02, 2003 10:16 AM

1. Re: Air Conditioning does not work
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

2. Re: Digest Number 1520 (Unhappy about the DOA and DW)
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

3. RE: Re: Digest Number 1520 (Unhappy about the DOA and DW)
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

4. Re: Re: Hood Struts
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Re: Air Conditioning does not work
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 01:39:41 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Air Conditioning does not work

Barbara

If you live in NJ you should belong to the DeLorean Mid-Atlantic
group. We all have references we can suggest to you for nearly
everything. If you can, you should get it to PJ Grady, but Long
Island is a trip. Joe Molino, foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net, a club member
who posts to this list from time to time, just had his AC refitted
to R134 by a shop in central NJ that he is very high on. I can
recommend a shop in New Vernon, NJ - New Vernon Coach - Ask for the
owner Steve Schade, 973 538-3610.

Harold McElraft - 3354, in Chatham, NJ

Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 02:09:16 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 1520 (Unhappy about the DOA and DW)

No one here is really questioning Ed Bernstein, nor his involvement in the
current format of "DW". What the point here is, is that the magazine is
extremely lacking in viable content that the mnajority of people are interested
in. That's it. Now thru another local owner here in town, I was able to view
both an older copy (from '96 I believe), and the recent copy of the "Northwest
Passage (the one will the girl wearing the ball cap).  The only thing that I
could think was, "Wow, what in the hell happened?!?" Yes, DeLorean World
magazine has been around for quite a long time, and indeed has provided a
great source of info to everyone. And this is indeed quite evident in the past
issues that I've skimmed, and read over. But it's new incanation is totally
lacking in DeLorean content. In the older issue, I read about owners who
retold stories of personal experiences with their cars. Hell, there was even a
Q&A section of people who were writting in with problems that they've had,
and were recieving answers. None of that content was available! All I read
were stories from people who were going on trips that they enjoyed, and the
only tie-in was that they just happened to be driving a DeLorean at the time!
Unlike previous stories of travel, where the focus was on the car, and not the
destination! The old issues were both thick, and really full of useful
information.

The only "tech" articles were the installation of a custom speaker/amp in the
rear parcel shelf wall (pretty good), and a dragged-out article on clutch
operation, and symptom explanation with modified diagrams. And even then,
this was dragged out way too far. Something like that should be only 3-4
pages at max, not a 2-part series broken up into 2 magazines! The constant
use of stock photos was really overdone. Especially when you have them
accompanying stories about Points of Interest that have *NO* DeLorean
content within them what so ever. But the one that takes the cake is the
spread that shows out the equestrian center complex, for the story about the
same subject. In an effort to try and make it more DeLorean related, someone
(the editor perhaps?) cut and pasted a picture of a DeLorean a bunch of times
to try and make it look like they were sitting in the parking lot. Great
Photoshop skills there, I'm just surprised that a couple of lense-flairs didn't
make their way into the pic.

So in the end here, many people agree that the content of the magazines is
gone. Many folks here have retained their membership to the DOA for those
magazines, and now that they no longer provide them with what they want,
people are looking elsewhere.

Now, let me comment on a couple of your quotes here:
<SNIP>
>  If any of you are interested,
> then why not send a letter, or e-mail to a Board member? I am sure most
> would gladly inform the board at the next meeting. Along those lines, If you
> have a concern, why not write to the president? why sit here and piss and
> moan, no one here can do anything about it, you all say, "if things would
> change..." then send your concerns to the President!
<SNIP>

Ok now. Looking at the current roster, YOU yourself are on the Board of
Directors! So now, the directors know! In addition, you're the "Publicity
Director"! So now, I think it's safe to say that the "Board" is now quite aware of
this concern. And by the way, what a fine job you're doing! It's good to indeed
see that when members of an organization begin to voice concerns, a
Boardmember from that very same organization tells them that they're "pissing
and moaning", and that they're basicly wasting their time by saying anything
at all. As long as there is at least one boardmember here that is able to see
these posts, then indeed the voices of those here who are concerned, have in
fact been heard. In any case, the majority of both data transfered, and material
commerce in the DeLorean community is exchanged via the Internet. I would
have thought that with such rapidly changing times that the board would have
both recognized this, and adapted to it. But I guess that the best way to be
heard, and to get a point across is with one's own wallet. Which many here
are in agreement on.

Since you are also Publicity Director, that means that you have been
appointed to you position to represent the rest of the board in their opinions,
and feelings on subjects thru your statements. So I guess that these concerns
are nothing to the rest of the DOA either then?

<SNIP>
> ...all I know is that if you look back, DW has over 72 issues, which
> have covered just about everything there is to with DeLoreans and tech, the
> new magazine still has tech, but again, in 20 years, its all been said...
>     You say its not interesting any more, which is why the format has been
> changed...
<SNIP>

You're absolutely right. How many times can something be said? Just look at
the common threads here on the list of "Who can insure my car", and "Where
can I find financing?" Hey, I sympathise. Unless new material is added in, how
many times can one keep on publishing the same data? And with a limited
subject such as this, how can one incorporate various new material, to tie into
the basic subject? That is an excellent point, and one that I agree with you
whole-heartedly on. However, others out there are publishing magazines,
and they are indeed acquiring new memberships. What is it that they're doing,
that "DW" hasn't? Well, I guess that research on what kind of content that
people really want wasn't properly researched. Perhaps if there was a director
of marketing....

Otherwise, "DeLorean World" magazine just seems to be past it's prime, and
ina big way at that. It was a good run, but it looks to have come to an end.

Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 19:20:22 -0700
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

Trevor Johnson said:
>I will not respond to people looking for a fight,
>or rude little people with something against someone,
>constructive criticism is welcome, but to those of
>you who just want to argue, grow up, please.

Trevor, You should heed your own advice. The DML is an open forum for
discussing all things DeLorean - including Magazines. Perhaps some people
like the new DW format, but everything I have heard about the new format,
both on the DML and off, has been pretty negative. I've never subscribed to
DW, and probably never will, but I was amazed by your recent email.

As Publicity Director, I would have though that you would show some concern
that so many readers/members (or former readers/members) seemed to dislike
the direction that DW magazine had taken. Some reassurance that their
concerns had been heard would have been the appropriate response. I don't
blame people for not contacting the board members directly, if your recent
email is an example of the response they might get.

If you have an issue with an individual contributor to the DML, please take
it up with them, rather than implying that the DML has a monopoly on rude
little people with something against someone.

I've chosen to make this reply public, for two reasons.  One is because
emails to your publicity(at)delorean-owners.org, comet4055(at)juno.com, and
dmcboy1der(at)hotpop.com, were all returned as undeliverable, and the second
is because I'm aware of others who were also offended by your recent email.

No reply required or desired.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:00:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Hood Struts

Have the DMCH door struts been fixed so they dont bend
the mount when the door is closed??

http://calendar.yahoo.com

Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 23:01:52 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Air Conditioning does not work

Thanks Harold,

Yes, Barbara,  I had massive leaks from the ac hoses so I bought 2 new
hoses, a dryer (metal cylinder for sale on eBay now) and a new a/c radiator
from P.J. Grady.  I took it to a shop in Pompton Plains, NJ. I can dig up
the info if you find it is closer to you than New Vernon.  He installed the
new hoses (without separating body from frame) and installed a new dryer (
if your system has been "open" for a period of time the dryer will have
expired)  and converted to r-134 for about $125.00 if I remember right.  He
said it was easy and the ac blows cold now.  I cannot attest to if it is
colder or warmer than r-12 but it sure is low priced. I only replaced the
a/c radiator because I think there were little holes in it from road debris
or rot.  Contact me off list if you need more info.  Some places charge as
much as $125.00 a pound for r-12 so I could not see wasting money on it.  He
will also change valves on the compressor and flush the system.  The shop
only does A/C so they were pretty knowledgeable.

Joseph M.