From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1570
Date: Saturday, July 05, 2003 6:54 AM

1. Re: DMC2?? New DeLorean sports car?
From: KISSman83_at_dml_aol.com

2. ASI Radio clock setting
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: High pitch sound from clutch
From: "John Elgersma" <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>

4. Slight leaking from auto trans.
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Why are some VINs so large?
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

6. Re:[DML}Young Owners (was DeLoreans as first cars)
From: "sid vicious" <sid_villan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Why are some VINs so large?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. RE: DMC2?? New DeLorean sports car?
From: "Simon Shepherd" <simons_at_dml_ndmltd.com>

9. transmission problems
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

10. RE: No More Steering "Stiction"
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

11. RE: Re: High pitch sound from clutch
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

12. Re: DMC2?? New DeLorean sports car?
From: "bk2d80s" <bk2d80s_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Infill strips
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

14. Re: Slight leaking from auto trans.
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Adjustable gas struts and weather strip
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

16. Re:[DML}Young Owners (was DeLoreans as first cars)
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

17. What has prompted the rage?
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 00:39:14 EDT
From: KISSman83_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DMC2?? New DeLorean sports car?

I just don't think it makes sense...  Why would anybody go to that effort for
a hoax?  Or did his new company just flop?  I'm lost now...

Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 23:00:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: ASI Radio clock setting

Hello all:

    In reference to the ASI radio tape deck.  Does
anyone know how to set the time on this thing besides
waiting until midnight to unplug the battery?

thanx

jordan 11613

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:02:39 -0000
From: "John Elgersma" <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>
Subject: Re: High pitch sound from clutch

Well, that is great information. As much as it is a big job, I will
for now just drive the car as is. Too bad the bearing is harder to
replace then an alternator. I feared that it would be labor
intensive. What is the scenario if the bearing is not replaced soon?
I have no intentions to become a grease monkey soon, so I probably
want to leave it alone for as long as possible.Yah, I know, why not
take care of all the little bugs in the car?? Lazy, I guess!
Bye
John Elgersma
> It is just a guess that it is the throwout bearing. Usually they
> make noise when you step on the clutch, not the other way around.
> The way you "fix" this is to remove the transmission and clutch.
> Normally you just replace everything in the clutch including the
> throwout bearing.
> It is also a good time to check over the transmission and replace
> the oil, any leaking seals, roll pin, etc. This can be done by
> someone with some skills on cars, it is not too difficult. The
> hardest part is the physical removal of the transmission, it is
> large, awkward, and heavy especially when working on jackstands
> and a creeper. With the help of assistants it is not too bad, the
> transmission is not all that big. Call one of the "D" venders and
> get all the clutch parts and info before you start. While you are
> doing this job you also inspect the C/V boots and depending on the
> car it is a good idea to remove the half-shafts and relubricate
> the joints. If the clutch line has not been upgraded to the
> braided hose that should be done too. Inspect the clutch master
> and slave cylinders and if they are leaking they should also be
> replaced at this time. At the very least they should be
> flushed with fresh brake fluid. Finally after replacing the clutch
> and trans go over the gearshift linkage. Clean, lubricate, and check
> the adjustments. When ordering all these parts a good spare part to
> also have is a pivot bolt for the shift linkage. If it ever breaks
> you cannot shift. It is a "special" shoulder bolt and not easily
> available when you need it on a weekend! Keep it in the glove box
> and if you ever need it at least a mechanic could put it in for you.
> You should definately have the Workshop Manual to guide you and a
> full set of metric wrenches and sockets. A good flat level floor,
> creeper, jackstands, and jack are also important. You can use the
> floor jack to remove and replace the trans with your helpers holding
> the trans on the jack as you handle the jack up and down. I have done
> the automatic trans which is larger and heavier all by myself but the
> 5-speed is a little harder because you have to go in and out of the
> clutch so everything has to be very lined up, especially when
> reinstalling.

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 23:04:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Slight leaking from auto trans.

Hello all:

While everything is indeed in great condition, It
looks like there is a slight leak on the trans. where
the two halves meet.  There are several nuts and bolts
that hold these halves together.  Would it be best to:

    A: leave it along unless it gets worse
    B: Torque down those bolts and see if they are
under the factory recommended PSI. (loosened?)
    C: Remove the transmission and install all new
gaskets.

thanx

jordan 11613

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 03:10:46 -0400
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: Why are some VINs so large?

Maybe this will help you a bit

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/h_vins.htm

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:49:31 -0000
From: "sid vicious" <sid_villan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re:[DML}Young Owners (was DeLoreans as first cars)

i havent been on here in along time but i read this thread and had to
respond

i got my delorean when i was barely 17
the car had no interior no tranny and was trashed
i installed the interior my self and did some work with help from
friends and i took it to a delorean shop and i had to pay for it my
self and to make things worse i had to sell my car because my family
could not afford to keep the car i loved that car more than anything
in the world and i had to give it up because i come  from a very low
income family (unlike most people who just have money to trow around)

if anything young people are keeping the dream alive
when all those old farts that own deloreans die(and theres alot)
there grandkids will most likely sell them and us "younger kids" will
buy them up and start a new cycle
and why is it that sooo many old people own these cars is it
the  "poor old mans ferrari"? they keep these cars in there garages
all covered up as if there ever going to go up in value! they treat
them like antiques ,they have tea partys,they have all these old
folks conventions! when i was selling my car i had this 70+ year old
man that came to look at my car and i felt a horrible feeling in my
gut  i knew this old geezer was just wanna lock this car away  so
thanked god he didnt buy it

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:11:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Not every possible # was assigned to a car. There are blocks of #'s
that were set aside as is usually the case on most production cars.
Some blocks may be related to the month of build, some to where the
cars where destined to be shipped, some with a particular option and
so on. For instance all the #'s before 500 were assigned to
preproduction training cars so there are 500 missing cars right there.
You cannot look at the last built vin # and say that many cars were
made, it is not that simple. Go to DMCNEWS.COM and look at Knut's
production chronology for further interesting reading on this subject.
I also encourage all owners to participate in registering to further
improve the DoD and the production chronology. Remember, we don't
always own these cars, we just get to have them for a while. Future
owners will appreciate our efforts to document and preserve this history.

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 16:53:18 +0100
From: "Simon Shepherd" <simons_at_dml_ndmltd.com>

Whether this is accurate or not, I don't know, but........
Some years ago (we're talking probably 4 or 5) the company I worked for In
Cambridgeshire, UK moved premises.
At the time we still had the remainder of a lease to run on the premises we
were occupying, so we were looking to sub-let it until it the lease ran out.
One of the people we had look at it was (according to MD at the time)
apparently JZD's son, who was looking to let a small unit in which they
could begin the development work of a new sports car.
I remember this clearly, as our MD at the time was a previous D owner.
He never took the unit on, as the company next door took it on for expansion
purposes, but it makes me think that the promise of new car was not a hoax,
but maybe a dream

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:35:08 EDT (-0400)
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: transmission problems

hello all,

It seems I have a problem with second gear. all the others are fine but
sometimes when I shift into 2nd it pops right back out into nuetral. I
have to pull back on the shifter and hold it in place until I have the
clutch pedal released before I let go of the shifter. Also sometimes
when I shift from 1st to 2nd when I let the pedal up I am not in gear
and I have to put it back to nuetral and pull it back hard to get into
gear (after pushing the clutch pedal of course). I seem to have a
problem getting into reverse as well but only occasionally - same pull
back issue, I have to pull back hard to get it into gear. Would this
just be an adjustment in the linkage between the tranny and the
shifter? Is this something I can do myself, being only a weekend
mechanic?

regards,

Michael
vin# 6067

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:39:27 -0400
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: RE: No More Steering "Stiction"

Just did the same thing and although the stiction is not totally gone, it is markedly improved. Would still like to replace the oil though, so I'll ask again.... Is there anyway to drain the oil without removing the rack. Short of hanging the car by the rear facia and letting it drip out the pinion cap? :-)
Thanks,
Jim 6147

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:04:31 -0500
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: High pitch sound from clutch

This should be addressed soon.  The squeal indicates that the
throwout bearing is not retracting far enough to clear
the clutch, and the clutch fingers are rubbing on the
surface of the bearing.  This can cause a LOT of heat,
particularly in an enclosed bell housing.  If it gets hot
enough, the bearing can seize, preventing you from shifting.
That would be inconvenient.  Not to mention expensive, as
this will only add to any labor charges or parts that need
to be replaced.

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:10:03 -0000
From: "bk2d80s" <bk2d80s_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Well, I definitly never thought it to be a hoax. I just had doubt about
Johns ability to get the funding again given his previous outcome.If
anything the new car company has simply flopped.

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:23:23 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Infill strips

OK

I give up I've looked everywhere.... who is it that sells the little black
stripes that goes on the doors just rear of the upper trim panel?

Good description hey??

Cheers

http://www.paul.salsbury.btinternet.co.uk

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:26:11 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Slight leaking from auto trans.

Unlikely it is the case leaking. If you get a chance to see how it
is constructed and sealed there you will know why. More likely the
shift cable or the seals where the governor cables attach is your
leak. All of these points are typical leaks on the D Auto. The cable
is the most common. Actually, from my experience, the cable has a
100 percent chance. The fluid just travels to the lowest point so it
appears to be coming from the case. I have a brand new shift cable
on mine and it started leaking again in 5,000 miles. The fluid goes
right to the center of the case and drops. You can clean it up and
trace the fluid. Depending on how much you drive a little trans
fluid can look like a lot. If the trans is a little over full the
cable will tend to leak more because the leak happens when the car
is off. Mine has some drips but in another 2,000 miles it has not
been noticeable on the dip stick, just annoying at this point. So, I
am not going to mess with it for now. You could try some fresh fluid
and/or some professional type conditioner. Either one will probably
help the seals.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:48:04 -0400
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Adjustable gas struts and weather strip

Found a link that offers adjustable gas struts. SPD in Bristol PA.
Just a curiosity at this point. Good item for our distributor community to possibly investigate and consider.
http://www.spdhardware.com/gs5.htm

Also seem to have inner door weather strip in 82 foot rolls.
http://www.spdhardware.com/ws7.htm
ET-75001609

Jim 6147

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:36:24 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

[MODERATOR NOTE: For the sake of balance I'm allowing two off-topic rebuttals to the editorial by "sid vicious."  After that, no further messages on this subject will be approved.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

Easy young fella - some day you too, with a little grace, will be
and "old fart" too. Not all of us fit your stereotype portrait.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "sid vicious" <sid_villan_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 14:21:59 -0700
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>
Subject: What has prompted the rage?

[MODERATOR NOTE: For the sake of balance I'm allowing two off-topic rebuttals to the editorial by "sid vicious."  After that, no further messages on this subject will be approved.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

To: List member "sid vicious"

Your comments indicate a blanket hostile attitude toward elderly members of this list. I don't mind referring to myself as an "old fart" or an "old geezer" but when someone who doesn't even know me personally does it and directs it to me, it raises the obvious question of what is causing this rage? Would you please explain what has prompted you to write so disparagingly about older members of this list? Maybe the name you have adopted to use to hide your true identity and the one you have chosen to use as part of your e-mail address reveals more about you than you realize.

Joe Thome