From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1579
Date: Saturday, July 12, 2003 6:56 AM

1. Re: Re: "Where did you get it?"
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

2. RE: DMC on The Tonight Show - (correct player needed)
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

3. RE: Re: "Where did you get it?"
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

4. RE: DMC on The Tonight Show - (correct player needed)
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

5. RE: DMC on The Tonight Show - (correct player needed)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

6. Muffler Heat Shield
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Muffler Heat Shield
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

8. Re: Muffler Heat Shield
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. RE: Muffler Heat Shield
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

10. Bad news on my head
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_scott.af.mil>

11. Re: DMC on The Tonight Show
From: "Charlie g" <charlie_az_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. funny smell......
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

13. Car just won't stay running?
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

14. Re: Muffler Heat Shield
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. DeLorean for sale
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

16. Delorean in NY
From: "Aaron Crocco" <Slider_ten_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. RE: Car just won't stay running?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. RE: funny smell......
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. Clunk when accelerating
From: "John Elgersma" <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:08:40 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Re: "Where did you get it?"

I had someone get VERY specific and ask me:

"Did you pay $109,000 for that car??"

Regards,

Michael

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:14:43 -0400
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: DMC on The Tonight Show - (correct player needed)

Windows Media Player and Real Audio do not have the codec to play the
DivX.  You will need a different player that plays this codec- such as:
http://www.divx.com/divx/

- Jason

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:17:06 -0700
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

 > Michael said:
 > I had someone get VERY specific and ask me:
 > "Did you pay $109,000 for that car??"

Perhaps the additional $9,000 was a reference to the "rebate" you would have
gotten from inside the spare tire.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:38:34 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

For us Non-Windows users try ffmpeg or vlc (both, free as beer).

ffmpeg: http://www.bebits.com/app/2467
vlc: http://www.videolan.org

Enjoy a M$ free world... BeOS - "In a World full of Windows, we're handing out
Rocks."

Regards,

Michael

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:58:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

***** Moderator's Note *****
OK - all of our Windows and UNIX users should have what they need
to view the clip - This topic is closed...

Mike G  Moderator of the week

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Jason Perkins wrote:

> Windows Media Player and Real Audio do not have the codec to play the
> DivX.  You will need a different player that plays this codec- such as:
> http://www.divx.com/divx/

Windows Media Player will definitely play DivX videos if you have the
DivX codec installed.  (And it's probably worth installing, since there
are plenty of videos out there that require it.)

I created the video from a TiVo-extracted mpeg2 using the encoder portion
of mplayer on Linux (http://www.mplayerhq.hu), but a couple of Windows
using friends of mine report that it plays just fine on WMP (with the
right codec installed, of course).  FWIW, the Win32 port of mplayer is
really nice, and will play the video as well.

(Moderator, feel free to trash this post, as it has no DMC content at
all.  Well, except my VIN.)  :)

-andrew
 Houston TX

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:10:38 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Muffler Heat Shield

I noticed that my DeLorean does not have a muffler heat shield.  How
important is it.  What will happen if it remains off.  What is it made of.  Can I
build one myself?

Dave & 6530

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:51:31 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Muffler Heat Shield

Dave - The heat shield that should be installed between the muffler
and the engine accessory belts is made from a mineral board (probably
asbestos).  If there is no shield, you will experience higher failure
rates of belts, A/C idler pulley bearings, and possibly crankshaft
seal due to chronic exposure to radiant heat.  You can get stock
replacements from your favorite DeLorean vendor, or you can fabricate
(or have it fabricated) a replacement using aluminum sheet metal.
That's what I did.  I enlarged the profile of the replacement shield
to better protect the alternator and A/C compressor and drive
components.  I believe that the good folks in England have done
similar things.  I used .100" thick aluminum, and picked up the same
bolt holes as the stock shield.  Because I extended the shield to
protect the A/C compressor, I had to fabricate a small brace that goes
from the shield to a nearby bolt hole on the left hand valve cover to
keep the shield from vibrating.  Works great.  Other people have found
different types of mineral board and had replacements made.  Perhaps
somebody on the List who has done that can provide details?

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:07:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

They were actually made of asbestos... can you believe that? I wouldn't leave it off... that will absolutely cook your accesory belts. You could probably manufacture one yourself from stainless steel, or if you want something easier, the vendors make replacements out of various materials starting at about $60.

Louie Golden
VIN 10115 Sanford, NC

See what you missed! Read the report on the 2003 DMC Open House Event at http://www.delorean.com/2003event.asp

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you_at_dml_yourchoice.com, No Ads, 6MB, IMAP, POP, SMTP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:01:40 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

The muffler heat shield is for the protection of the belts. They will wear
prematurely exposed to that much extra heat.

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:57:24 -0000
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_scott.af.mil>
Subject: Bad news on my head

Just got word from the machine shop that my passenger side head is
warped .008" and there is a pin-hole on one cylinder.  I've never
heard of a head having a pin-hole and I'm having a hard time
imagining how you could have a pin-hole in an aluminum chuck of
metal.  Does anyone have any advise on this phenomenum?  DMLers have
told that me the most the head can be machined is less than a few
thousands of an inch.  Would .008" be considered too much?

I'm now looking for a new/used passenger side head anyone with one
available please email me offline at rv_party_at_dml_hotmail.com.

Jeff

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:27:47 -0000
From: "Charlie g" <charlie_az_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DMC on The Tonight Show

:) This BTTF car by the way, for those who like to know the origins
of these cars.  This BttF car on display was purchased from somwhere
in South Dakota. (sorry I didn't get the vin#).  The car is in pretty
good shape considering its been out in the sun.  The only damage is
on the passenger front fender, a rusted dent the size of a pen near
the antenna.

Just FYI for fun..

CG
AZ-DMC

there was a brief DMC appearance on tonight's The Tonight Show With
Jay Leno in a segment where they were giving a couple a humorous tour
of Universal City Studios.

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:06:41 -0500
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: funny smell......

My parents always told me that attempting to my battery-operated toys
run faster by hooking them to 120V would do me no good.

Boy was she wrong!  She didn't know that in the future, I would own a
car that would require me to be able to quickly identify that exact
smell.

That being said, I have several electrical issues.  The fuse for the
low-beam headlights has started to melt, and the headlight switch is
damaged (i.e., wont stay in).  I don't use the headlights much at all,
so is this a coincidence or could these problems be related?

My plan is this:

  1. new headlight switch
  2. all new fuses
  3. clean all fuse connections
  4. clean all relays and relay connections

I hope that will do it.  I cant find any other damaged components but
the wiring does get quite hot in that relay compartment.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

P.S.  If someone out there (ahem) made a "kit" to replace most all of
the incandescent bulbs (interior, door, dash, tail, etc.) with the
super/hyper LED's, I'd buy it.  Just to take some of the load off.

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:50:20 -0700
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>
Subject: Car just won't stay running?

I'm having a very annoying problem with my DeLorean.  It goes like this:

Start the car.  Push on the gas pedal.  Car goes off.  Start the car.
Push on the gas pedal again.  Car goes off again.  If you're lucky, you
can get it just fast enough and it will keep running, at least until
the next time you stop.

Reverse gear seems fine; I can back up OK (although I didn't back up
far).  The car stalled 4 times just trying to get it out of my driveway.

Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be?  Relays?
Transmission?  Anything?

Thanks

-- Joe

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:09:09 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
This pretty much beats this thread to death...

Mike G  Moderator of the week
*****

It is somewhat important.

If it remains off, your muffler will cook your hoses, belts and
alternator. As an electronics nerd, I can tell you that any
electrical/electronic circuit's worst enemy is heat.

It is/was made out of asbestos.

You can build one yourself. I've heard of folks making them out of
two thin pieces of sheetmetal, leaving an thin air gap in between
them. (like a sandwich) This will provide enough shielding. Or, you
can save yourself the trouble and buy one from delorean.com for $50-
ish dollars.

They aren't that great because they fall apart when they get wet.

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:24:32 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: DeLorean for sale

Needs minor restoration work. Simply unscrew gas cap, tow vehicle
away, drive new DeLorean under gas cap. Screw on gas cap. Restoration
complete.

Ok, so I'm not -quite- ready to quit yet. I am starting to feel
cheated though.

Let's review:

1. Car did not run because of fuel system & electrical problems.

2. Fixed electrical problems, and most of fuel problems. Needed new
fuel distributor. Car ran, though poorly. Very rich.

3. Water pump leaked, engine overheated blowing head gaskets. (Yes,
I'm an idiot) At this point, the car still -ran-.

4. Reconditioned engine. New head gaskets and seals all the way
around. New O2 sensor, thermotime thingy, vacuum switch, (the stuff
in the coolant "Y" pipe) blah blah blah.

5. I've re done the timing 20 times now. Fuel, air, spark, starting
fluid. Now car does not run.

I've done this before. I don't know why I can't now.

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:53:42 -0400
From: "Aaron Crocco" <Slider_ten_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean in NY

Hey all,

  I saw a Delorean on Route 110 on Wednesday afternoon around 5:15 PM.
Anyone on this list?

-Aaron Crocco
NY Plate- OUTATYM

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:15:23 -0700
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Car just won't stay running?

Joe, Possible air flow meter adjustment and 02 adjustment.

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:20:31 -0700
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: funny smell......

Gus, Resistance of the older connections is always a problem. Pulling and
pushing the fuses in will re-establish any bad high resistance connections.
Ground cleaning and pluging and un-pluging the head light connectors with
also help. I can fix the switch latching and clean the contacts.

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:24:03 -0000
From: "John Elgersma" <delorean_at_dml_telus.net>
Subject: Clunk when accelerating

I realize that most car will jolt when you suddenly press the
accelerator, this mostly very prominent on manual shifts. Well, it
appears that I hear a clunk everytime I accelerate. It is almost
like the engine/transmission heaves and creates a jolt or a bang. If
this is normal, great! Smooth acceleration is of course working fine
on the car.
Any input on these symptoms, reply! Thanks
JohnE 10250