From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1609
Date: Monday, August 04, 2003 9:20 AM

1. Redline fuel system cleaner
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

2. Re: Storage barn conversion?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

3. Re: Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Re: Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

5. Re: Redline fuel system cleaner
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

6. Checks
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Redline fuel system cleaner
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

8. Re: Storage barn conversion?
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

9. RE: Checks
From: "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 09:38:30 -0400
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Redline fuel system cleaner

Speaking of Red Line, what is the general consensus of Red Line "Complete Fuel System Cleaner"?  The shop where I got my MSD coil was really touting it, and for only $8 I bought it. But before I use it, I'm curious to hear if anyone thinks I *shouldn't* use it.  And if you do use it, how much do you put into a full tank?  Thanks.

http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/si1ti.htm

-Hank #1619

Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 16:37:56 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Storage barn conversion?

It is important to keep moisture from the floor (ground) from coming
up into the underside of the car. The moisture collects on the
underside of the car and causes the frame to rust and allows bugs
(spiders) to live under the car. The car (if stored for long periods
of inactivity) should be lifted off the wheels and all fluids drained
out. The battery should also be removed. The building should be
"tight" enough that small animals cannot get in and cause trouble with
the cars. Mice and other rodents can fit through incredably small
holes so you must close ANY opening that they could possibly use. They
will tear out the stuffing from the seats and use it to make nests.
They defficate and urinate in the cars and really make it nasty. They
chew the wiring up. It is best if you can control the temperature so
as to keep it from getting too hot or too cold. There should be no
ozone producing equipment like an old electric motor with brushes.
Keep sunlight off the cars from windows or skylights. Cover the car
with a blanket to keep the dust and dirt off. Try not to hang anything
near the car that could possibly fall on it and damage it.

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:09:31 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL

Redline is great stuff but I would not use MTL in a DMC 5 speed. My
remembrance about MTL when I used it in an SHO was it is designed to
be used where an auto trans fluid was OEM in the manual transaxle. I
don't believe MTL meets GL-5 specs called for in the DMC. The DMC
should use 75w-90. I prefer synthetic because it is a far superior
lubricant, a heat reducer, and seems to be smoother, especially when
cold.

> RedLine is a brand of very expensive "boutique" lubricants -
mostly
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "michael townsley" <townfour_at_dml_m...>
outside of Valvoline synthetic, what is

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:37:15 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Harold - good catch! RedLine does make a GL5 Gear oil called 75W90NS -
 from their product list:

"75W90 NS - a GL-5 which does not contain the friction modifiers for
limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission
synchronizers come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster
shifting and much easier low-temperature shifting. "

Although they state that they recommend the MTL for most transaxle
applications, this is the only product that would seem to fit the GL5
spec.

Thanks!

Dave Swingle <--still running Valvoline synthetic)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>

Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:32:04 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Redline fuel system cleaner

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Henry" <henry_at_dml_i...> wrote:

> Speaking of Red Line, what is the general consensus of Red Line
"Complete Fuel System Cleaner"?  The shop where I got my MSD coil was
really touting it, and for only $8 I bought it. But before I use it, I'm curious to
hear if anyone thinks I *shouldn't* use it.  And if you do use it, how much do
you put into a full tank?  Thanks.

> http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/si1ti.htm
>
> -Hank #1619

Don't have an experience with Red Line's fuel treatment, but if it were me, I'd
just take it back. A while back there was a discussion on the list here about
the negative effects of fuel system treatments, and the neutral ones of why
there simply a waste of money for the most part. Check the back archives for
some really interesting details. But for the most part, you're just paying for
extra detergents that are already in your fuel at the pump. And with a properly
operating and maintained car, they're not nessisary.

On top of this, NONE of these products that I've ever seen are one time only.
They all insist that you keep using them over and over again. There
intentional design is to spurn revolving sales, with cleaning your fuel system
2nd. And when you look at what they're supposed to be doing, they're actually
not nessisary. And when you think about it, how exactly are they able to help
the fuel system in ways that you can't? If the pick-up screen, or fuel filter is
clogged, you're gonna need to pull and replace them anyways. And if there is
any debris  in the fuel lines, hoses, rails, etc, you're gonna need to pull them
for cleaning, because you've got bigger problems that have caused that
problem in the first place. If you want to keep carbon deposits down, just run
the engine at normal speeds, and for a prolonged enough time where you
can heat things up internally, and run as low an octane gasoline as possible.
After replacing the dirty fuel injectors in my car, I run smoth as silk on 87
octane. Even in triple digit heat, and with hotter plugs & spark from the coil.

The only additive that I've ever heard anyone agree upon is Chevron's
Techron detergent. And even then, if you run a quality gasoline with decent
detergents, it's not nessisary. And this was the advice given to me by my
mechnaic. He poured a bottle in to help with the initial removal of the carbon
in the engine, after I kept failing smog. His advice to me was to stick with
running Chevron for atleast a few months, but preferably permanently if
possible. And if I stuck with it, or at leasnt name-brand gasoline, then I
woulnd't need to add it back in, since I already get the same detergent out of
the pump.

Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 22:21:35 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Checks

Does anyone know if ther is a company that makes DeLorean checkbooks?

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:15:07 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I have heard good things about the cleaner. Let us know how it works.

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:28:34 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I can vouch for the small animals finding a home in the D. I had
mine stored for a long period (7 months) in a garage that was dry
and heated and, I thought, tight. However, from a storage room next
door where bird seed was stored, some mice apparently decided they
found a good thing and eventually made a nest under the intake
manifold. Fortunately no wires or hoses were gnawed on. I also found
a nest in the relay compartment. Big mess!

Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 22:42:51 -0400
From: "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: RE: Checks

I've searched before. Haven't seen anything other than Check printers
that let you submit your photos to put in the background.

http://www.checksyourway.com/

can do this for you. You supply the photos.

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
Webmaster, http://www.88-mph.com

Does anyone know if ther is a company that makes DeLorean checkbooks?