From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1611
Date: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 9:18 AM

1. Re: Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: More experiments
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

3. HA! Crag make fire!!!
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

4. Re: Another scammer.
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

5. Re: Where is Slave Cylinder, Directions on checking it for leaks? Photos?
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

6. DeLorean For Sale
From: "anaheim_21" <anaheim_21_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Places to visit Delorean related sites in Southern CA?
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>

8. windshield antenna
From: Sonny V <sonnyvr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Anyone up for a good read?
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

10. GULLWING MAGAZINE (issue 3) & back issue info...
From: gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com

11. Delorean parting out parts available
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. Crag go FAST!!! Varooooooom!!!!
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

13. DMC Computer code scanner
From: "George DeLorean" <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: windshield antenna
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Re: Crag go FAST!!! Varooooooom!!!!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:24:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Just changed to SS Clutch line, better, but REVERSE and 1st gear STILL

Same thing on my mustang,  Ive never gone directly
onto Reverse, i go into 1st or 3rd on my way down

jordan 11613

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 23:31:07 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: More experiments

Thanks for the suggestion, but alas I have totally bypassed the
ballast resistor with no effect.

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 23:37:20 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: HA! Crag make fire!!!

Today, I dropped to my knees and thanked God for helping me start my car.

Well sort of...

After soaking for 2 days in Marvel Mystery Oil my compression shot up
to 150 psi. (For those who care, the specs are 114-156 psi, engine
HOT, throttle wide open) Previously, it was 100-120 psi, but that's
cold because the thing wouldn't start.

At any rate, with fuel disconnected, and Marvel in the chamber, I gave
it a shot of ether. It fired, struggled, then ran -briefly- (10-15
seconds) on ether. The timing appeared correct, I didn't have time for
the timing light but the engine chugged along without "fighting" itself.

After that, the plugs fouled with Marvel and the starter wouldn't
crank it fast enough.

I suspect my problems are two-fold. Low compression due to slow
cranking, and weak spark. I'm going to replace the coil, wires and
plugs with something hotter...18-20,000 volts, Bosch +4's and some
good wires.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Rich
#5335 (on life support)

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:06:28 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Another scammer.

I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN TRYING TO SELL A CAR ON EBAY. AFTER THE AUCTION WAS
OVER, I WAS CONTACTED BY SOME GUY IN AFRICA THAT WAS WILLING TO MEET MY
RESERVE PRICE.

I THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS A LITTLE STRANGE. HE KEPT EMAILING ME CLAIMING
HE WAS GOING TO SEND ME A CHECK FOR 2000 MORE THAN THE COST OF THE CAR
AND THEN I WOULD SEND HIM THE DIFFERENCE TO COVER SHIPPING.

SOUNDED VERY QUESTIONABLE.

I TOLD HIM THE FBI WAS WARNING PEOPLE ABOUT MONEY LAUNDERING SCAMS FROM
AFRICA.

NEVER HERE AGAIN FROM HIM.

BOB

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 23:16:57 EDT (-0400)
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Where is Slave Cylinder, Directions on checking it for leaks? Photos?

I know people check the slave from the top but I find it easier to
check it from thr bottom. Follow the clutch line from the frame to the
fiting where it meets up with a metal pipe (thin pipe like the hose)
follow the pipe and it will end at the slave.

Note the pipe sits on top of the tranny (one of the tranny case bolts
on the top edge hold the connector for the clutch line and pipe in
place)

regards,

Michael
vin 6067

Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 13:49:52 -0000
From: "anaheim_21" <anaheim_21_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean For Sale

Hi,

I am wondering where I could find interested parties looking for a
TERRIFIC 1981 DeLorean with only 1750 miles on the clock!  If anyone
is interested in learning more please email me at
Anaheim_21_at_dml_Yahoo.com.

It's in tremendous shape!

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:54:59 -0400
From: "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_microsoft.com>
Subject: Places to visit Delorean related sites in Southern CA?

This may sound like a silly question, but as this is my first time to
California, I decided to post to the newsgroup.  At the end of August, I
will be heading to San Diego, CA for a 10 day convention.  Are there any
recommended D locations or attractions that members would recommend?
Living here in Charlotte, NC, there is not much besides the occasional
Auto Museum that shows off their Delorean.  Perhaps there is a DMC shop
I can stop by in Southern CA (I need a few parts)?  Does Disney Land or
one of the other amusement parks have any D related events?

Thanks,
Jason Perkins

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 07:18:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sonny V <sonnyvr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: windshield antenna

Last night, a guy from across town who also owns a
DeLorean came over and he's got an earlier car with a
windshield antenna. He got a rock chip in it, and had
it "repaired" though it is now starting to spread (and
no won't pass the state inspection). I had read in one
of the books that the reception was poor with this
antenna anyway (which he agreed with).  And since
there are no windshields with the embedded antenna
anymore, it's a moot point.

Near as we can figure, he can either replace the
windshield and mount an antenna on the front fender
(initially the cheapest option, but then stuck with a
hole in the fender) or go with a rear mounted power
antenna, right? But then I was talking to a friend at
the office who has an older Range Rover, and the radio
antenna on it is a part of the rear defrost element.
Has anyone tried to use the element as an embedded
antenna? The rear defrost on a DeLorean is unused for
the most part, anyway.

Sonny

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:09:59 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: Anyone up for a good read?

Then follow along with me as I delve into the deepest pits of the DeLorean
engine and document the harrowing journey!

http://tg2.vantagep.com/engine/heads.php

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:55:41 -0500
From: gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com
Subject: GULLWING MAGAZINE (issue 3) & back issue info...

It's official... we received our ISSN from The Library of Congress!

Issue 3 of GULLWING Magazine is being printed now, and will ship ASAP.

If you'd like to be included in the 'first batch' mailing of the current
issue, and haven't subscribed yet, it's not too late!  Don't
procrastinate!  (see ordering information below).

This issue has 15% more content than previous issues and includes great
technical articles, great articles about the summertime events, the
continuing D-Rex story, and exciting new products from vendors.

This is also the issue that many of you have been asking about... yes,
it's the issue with the cartoon DeLorean on the front cover as shown on
our ad/order form.  (to view, go to David Jacobs' web site -
www.DeLoreanPerformance.com or Tamir's
www.entermyworld.com/dshop/index.html.

Also shown, is Issue 1 (a dozen DeLoreans) and Issue 2 (concours/custom).
 These back issues are available at the back issue price of $16.75 US,
$18.25 Canada, $20.00 Foreign.

Thanks for your interest, questions, and continued support.

Sincerely,
Ron and Cheryl Wester
GullwingMagazine(at)juno.com

Ordering Information:  GULLWING Magazine (ISSN 1544-8347) is published
quarterly.  To subscribe (starting with the current issue), send check or
money order for $48. US, $53. Canada, $66. Foreign to:  GULLWING
Magazine, P.O. Box 991, St. Peters, MO  63376 U.S.A. or transfer funds
via www.PayPal.com to gullwingmagazine(at)juno.com.

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:55:13 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Delorean parting out parts available

Well Vin 5690 has been with me for about 3 weeks and I have gone through the
emotions of rebuilding, refurbishing, or parting it out.

After looking at the options this could be a $5000 car that cost $15K to fix
and result in a $14K car that still has a way to go.

So it is going the e-bay route.

I thought I would post to the list first so if you are looking for specific
parts e-mail me privately with an offer and I will look at it.

The car will not be parted out before I get back from vacation so it will be
the end of August before I ship anything.

Below are the parts spoken for

All the stainless panels
Knee panel below glove box
Jack

Parts in poor condition but useable or salvageable,

Drivers seat sun faded and cracked near the headrest

Passenger seat  Sun faded but intact
both facias are in decent shape but the sun has destroyed the paint I will
probably repaint it then sell it.  the should look like new when they are done.

Dash is trash
Binnacle is trash

The engine looks to be in good shape although I have not started it. (Fuel
distributor shot)
Transmission seems to shift ok (not running)
Car has 28K on it.

Fuel system is shot

Rest of the car is in reasonable shape.

Frame has some rust and will be repaired and sold at a later date.

All parts will be up for sale as we dismantle it.

Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:03:34 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Crag go FAST!!! Varooooooom!!!!

I got it people!!!

I had this thought this morning but was afraid to voice it lest I be
wrong.

I put in Marvel Mystery Oil. Good compression. Had no oil pressure
from the oil system. Car started.

Ok. Oil pressure begets compression. Compression begets combustion!

So, I primed the oil pump like I said I would. I filled the filter to
the brim and screwed it on as quick as I could.

Like I said people, when the pump is air-bound, prime it!

I own a running DeLorean!!!!!!!! It ran, and ran hot and beautiful off
"the can" (ether).

My oil pressure shot off the scale, and the light went out. I'll have
to get a more accurate sender but she runs!!

Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 03:54:32 -0000
From: "George DeLorean" <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC Computer code scanner

Hi everyone.
            I was just curious if there was a DMC computer
troubleshooter of some sort that basically anyone could buy.  If so,
where could one get it?  How much?  I would like to know because I
will want one when I buy my DMC.

                          George DeLorean

Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:54:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: windshield antenna

Your best option IMHO is to spend about $180 and put the power
antennae in. There is a whole procedure with a template to do it. The
job can be done in a short afternoon. The reception will never be
great with the radios the car came with but you won't get very good
reception at all without either the antennae in the fender or the
power antennae. The main problem is called polarization. The antennae
in the windscreen is horizontal so it is better at recieving
horizontaly polarized signals. Unfortunatly the radio signals you want
to get are verticaly polarized so you really need to have a vertical
antennae element to get the best reception. There is a 3rd choice. If
you can find it there used to be sold a wire that attached on the
inside of the windscreen with transparant tape to replace the embedded
antennae, sometimes the wire would break off where it exits the glass
and the only way to fix the antennae without replacing the glass was
this "kit". This was never sold for Deloreans, it was like a general
purpose kind of aftermarket kit. You might find it at a car show swap
meet. To improve reception I know of a Delorean owner that bought a
"signal booster" from Radio Shack and said it helped a lot.

Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:57:53 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Crag go FAST!!! Varooooooom!!!!

If putting oil in the cylinders helped that much you have stuck rings.
Put the Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase and run that for a while,
it might free up the rings. Now that it runs you can rule out any
major timing problems, induction problems, and ignition problems.
Concentrate on the fuel system and make sure the cooling system is OK.