From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1612
Date: Thursday, August 07, 2003 8:55 AM

1. Re: Crag go FAST!!! Varooooooom!!!!
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

2. Re: Delorean parting out parts available
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Looking for someone in Wisconsin
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

4. Re: windshield antenna
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

5. Brake Master Cylinder Question.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

6. Milwaukee Delorean on Ebay
From: "pluguk" <jmacpherson_at_dml_totalise.co.uk>

7. Parting out vin 5609
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. SEDOC CRUISE IN UPDATE
From: "delor_01" <JOHN.JORDAN_at_dml_ED.GOV>

9. Thanks
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

10. Re: windshield antenna
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

11. Re: windshield antenna
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

12. Air Bleeder Hose spilling coolant
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

13. Re: Re: windshield antenna
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

14. Re: Parting out vin 5609
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

15. Re: Places to visit Delorean related sites in Southern CA?
From: "delorean66" <delorean66_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. 10680 in its BTTF Converted Glory...
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>

17. Re: Delorean parting out parts available
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

18. Re: Air Bleeder Hose spilling coolant
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

19. Re: Air Bleeder Hose spilling coolant
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

20. Re: Air Bleeder Hose spilling coolant
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

21. DeLorean For Sale
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

22. Parts car
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Air Bleeder Hose spilling coolant
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: Delorean parting out parts available
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

25. Re: Air Bleeder Hose spilling coolant
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:51:02 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Crag go FAST!!! Varooooooom!!!!

Yeah, now that it runs I have a million little settings to get right.
It runs disgustingly rich. I also have to lock down the timing. Vacuum
leaks, and cooling like you said, etc.

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean parting out parts available

Sort of sad actually. Always pains me to see another D
go this route :(

Todd
Vin 5386

Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:40:06 -0400
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Looking for someone in Wisconsin

I'm looking for someone that would be able to go do a look over of a
Delorean in Oconomowoc, WI. I'm pondering buying it, assuming no one
gets to it first, but just need someone to give a 2nd opinion on it. If
you are able to help, drop me a private email, Samuel (at) Lightspeed
(dot) cx.

Samuel

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 00:10:10 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: windshield antenna

In a message dated 8/5/2003 5:25:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sonnyvr2000_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> , he can either replace the
> windshield and mount an antenna on the front fender
> (initially the cheapest option, but then stuck with a
> hole in the fender)

Your fender is more valuable without the hole.  There are no NOS right
fenders without the hole at the DMC Texas warehouse, last I heard.  They have to be
welded over and ground down, etc.  Besides, the in-the-fender style looks
better when the radio is off and it retracts automatically.
Wayne A. Ernst
vin 11174
'82 and in the fender!

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 06:37:45 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Brake Master Cylinder Question.

Gearing up for my next project with the D, I need to tackle my brakes. And I'm
currently examining the Brake Master Cylinder. Without a doubt, I'd like to just
replace the unit entirely. Especially since the Clutch M/C had been improperly
repaired, and had "booger welds" on the connecting rod. This past history of
improper maintenance from an incompetent owner always makes me leary,
hence the need to replace everything. However, I have a bit of a unique
situation with mine.

My system is tight, and has no leaks what so ever. Except in the winter. When
my car sits in cold temperatures for more than a day, I will develope a steady
leak from the M/C but not inside the car, nor on the connecting lines. Tracing
everything back, The leak is occuring between the M/C, and the reservoir, at a
rate where my warning light will trip about every 2 weeks or so depending
upon use. It's as if the cold contracts the rubber, reservoir seals to allow the
leak.

Now looking into this, I'd like to replace the M/C, and I see that all vendors sell
the M/C unit either with, or without the reservoir. But none appear to sell the
reservoir by itself, nor do they sell the rubber seals for the reservoir. The two
seals are pictured in the Parts Catalogue, but do not have an specific part #'s
listed for them. They're just listed as a part of the reservoir kit, that one one
sells. And this was confirmed some time ago when I spoke with DMC Joe
about it.

My reservoir appears to be in good shape, except it is a bit yellowed. And that
to me isn't enough to warrant replacing it. But since all rubber seals do wear
out with time, but you can't buy these two particular seals individually, then
why do the vendors even bother to sell units w/o reservoirs that may require
them?

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Or am I looking at yet another
unique problem with my car, due to the fact that this component too fell victim
to a history of improper repairs?

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:12:53 -0000
From: "pluguk" <jmacpherson_at_dml_totalise.co.uk>
Subject: Milwaukee Delorean on Ebay

Does anyone know anything about the Milwaukee Delorean on ebay?  Last
week it was For Sale by AutoTruckSource in Milwaukee but the winner
of that auction is from NY and is selling it straight away again.
Its still located in Milwaukee at Auto Truck Source :
http://www.autotrucksource.com

If anyone is in the area and able to have a quick look at the car I'd
be very grateful.  I'm from the UK and just want to be very careful
about what I'm bidding for!!

ViewItem&category=31830&item=2426222191

Many Thanks
James

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 07:16:13 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Parting out vin 5609

I have had a HUGE response to my last post and the funny thing is no one
requested the same parts except one part.

That makes things a bit easier.

As I said I will start parting the car out on August 24th so I will get back
to anyone that wrote me about that time.

If you missed the post I have a car that I am parting out due to excessive
cost to restore it.

Ken

DeLorean Car Show
DeLorean Car Show Magazine
Deloreancarshow.com

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:18:16 -0000
From: "delor_01" <JOHN.JORDAN_at_dml_ED.GOV>
Subject: SEDOC CRUISE IN UPDATE

HEY! Y'ALL

CRUISE IN UPDATE:

"What's New and Updates"

Technical Presentations:

Steve Wynne, DMC Houston

Bob Zilla Electronics

John Hervey, Special T Auto

Ken Koncelik, DeLorean Car Show

**NEW ADDITION**

RON AND CHERYL WESTER" GULLWING MAGAZINE"

Parts & Product Fair & Expo:
Custom DeLorean Parts
Standard Parts
Accessories
DeLorean Memorabilia
DMC Houston Performance Engine
Zilla DeLorean Electronic Products

REMEMBER PRE-REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 7,2003.  IN ORDER TO
BE ELIGABLE FOR THE EXTENSIVE PRIZE DRAWING, YOU MUST BE PRE
REGISTERED.

 details and registration at http://www.specialTauto.com/sedoc

re: John Jordan, President, SEDOC, 404 562 6075

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 13:56:20 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Thanks

I want to thank everyone on the list who kept the advice flowing over
the last 3 months or so while I tore down an engine I barely
understood, for the first time in several years.

I know I clogged the list with my frustrations and silly questions
but it was totally worth it. I've learned a lot and it won't go to
waste.

I've completed a tech article for DMCNews on head gasket replacement
and I've been told it's pretty good by folks who proof-read it but I
refused to post it until I had my own car running. It would be
hypocritical to offer advice when I couldn't even get my own car
running no?

Thanks again,

Rich
#5335 alive

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:30:24 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

I happen to own a 1987 Range Rover Classic with the radio antenna in the
rear defrost, and I have to say that it does have very poor reception. I
agree with Dave, the best option for your friend is to install the rear
power antenna. The kit price recently dropped to $124.95 and includes the
antenna assembly (motor and mast), mounting bracket, antenna extension,
wiring and illustrated instructions. The trickiest part is trimming the rear
quarter vent so the antenna can "pop out" but like David said, it comes with
a template even for that.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:45:42 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

I've been trying to figure out what antenna I have. There's nothing
in my windshield but I don't have one that pops out anywhere.

There is a "stump" of something in my driver's side rear gill.

It's like a hollow aluminum tube with a plastic rod in the middle. Is
this it? Is it broken? How high is it supposed to stick out? (mine
doesn't stick out at all)

Thanks.

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:18:32 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Air Bleeder Hose spilling coolant

Hi,

My DeLorean has a hose connected to the plastic coolant bottle that
is pointed down into the engine compartment heading toward the rear
of the vehicle.  By looking in the parts manual, I believe this to
be the "air bleeder hose."  This hose has been spilling drops of
coolant lately that I notice when I come back from a drive and see
that there is coolant spilled over the right exhaust tip and it
traces back up to that hose.  Is this supposed to work like this?
Does this mean I need more coolant and less water in the system?
Sorry if these questions are novice, I have had the car for a week
today (its still a surprise to see it in the garage!).

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:07:38 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Re: windshield antenna

Sounds like a broken Antenna mast to me... you do indeed have the rear mounted
power antenna but it is damaged. In the engine bay there is a square cover with
3 hoses coming out of it on the driver side. Remove the cover and you can
access the antenna there.

Regards,

Michael

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:19:10 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Parting out vin 5609

Ken,

I am still interested in the passenger knee pad..

BOB B

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:20:50 -0000
From: "delorean66" <delorean66_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Places to visit Delorean related sites in Southern CA?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jason Perkins" <jperkins_at_dml_m...>
wrote:
> This may sound like a silly question, but as this is my first time
to California, Are there any recommended D locations or attractions that members would recommend?

  There are actually two DeLorean shops I know of around here.
DeLorean One in Chatsworth, a couple of miles north of LA. And
DeLorean Motor Center in Garden Grove, a couple of miles south of LA
(closer to San Diego than D1). AND there is also a classic car
dealer in San Diego called VIP Classics (http://www.vipclassics.com)
and they had a DeLorean there when I went last year.

  As for amusement parks, there is Universal Studios in Hollywood
which has the Back to the Future Ride.

I think that should be enough. ;-)

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:31:50 -0000
From: "Gary Weaver II" <gw2tulsa_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: 10680 in its BTTF Converted Glory...

Good afternoon my friends...

I finally was able to get the structure of my website completed
today and thought you all my like to have a look...

http://members.cox.net/bk2dftr/home

It is still very much a work in progress at this point. Still plenty
to add in the Replica Construction, Gallery, and Links pages...

Please feel free to e-mail or post with comments..

Thanks for your time,
Gary Weaver II
Tulsa, OK

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:45:41 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> Sort of sad actually. Always pains me to see another D
> go this route :(
Your looking at it all wrong.  Look at it as an organ donor.  Through
the "transplanting" of these parts many cars can benefit! Painful
would be a carcrusher and a useless block of metal at the end.
Keep looking for the positive,
Stephen

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:41:04 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Air Bleeder Hose spilling coolant

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_p...>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My DeLorean has a hose connected to the plastic coolant bottle that
> is pointed down into the engine compartment heading toward the rear
> of the vehicle.  By looking in the parts manual, I believe this to
> be the "air bleeder hose."  This hose has been spilling drops of
> coolant lately that I notice when I come back from a drive and see
> that there is coolant spilled over the right exhaust tip and it
> traces back up to that hose.  Is this supposed to work like this?
> Does this mean I need more coolant and less water in the system?
> Sorry if these questions are novice, I have had the car for a week
> today (its still a surprise to see it in the garage!).
>
> Matt

The hose that you are looking at is an overflow hose, in case the system
overheats. The Self Bleeding Hose Kit is an aftermarket item, that isn't listed in
the parts manual. And when manually bleeding the system, a hose is only
temporarily connected, and to the Thermostat housing on the Water Pump at
that.

Sounds like you've just got a bad Radiator Cap on the back. If I remember
correctly, the proper spec is 14PSI for the radiator cap. I used an aftermarket
cap that was rated _at_dml_ 15PSI, and was told that it would be fine. I've not had
any problems since. But I would advice strongly against using the same one
unless you are absolutle positive that EVERY rubber hose in the entire
cooling system has first been replaced. And if by chance you do perhaps
overheat the motor by accident (with the DeLorean, or any other car you ever
drive), then replace the radiator cap as standard practice afterwards.

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:58:52 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

You probably just need a new pressure cap. Sometimes it will take a
few days for the new one to set itself so the new one may do what
the old one is doing for a short time (one hundred miles say). You
need new rubber and it has to form itself to the minor curves of the
container. The old cap rubber seal usually gets hard after two or
three years. John Hervey has the best rplacements I've seen. see it
at http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/cooling-system.html.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:54:31 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Matt - Congratulations on your "one week" anniversary.  The hose that
you are referring to is the overflow hose.  If there is too much
coolant, you cap is defective, or if you have experienced an
overheated condition, the hose will vent towards the ground as you
have described.  The "air bleeder hose" that has been added to many
cars is routed from the coolant bottle to the thermostat cover above
the water pump (on the engine).  In your case, you should check to
make sure that you have the coolant bottle about one half full when
cool, to give room for expansion.  If the coolant level is okay, you
may need to replace the cap, if it looks to be in poor condition or is
rated for less that 15 lbs (As I recall - could be wrong on the
pressure value).  You should consider installing the bleeder hose kit
if not already there.  Always monitor the coolant temperature, and
correct any condition that leads to chronic overheating.  These may
include a slipping belt, clogged cooling system, marginal water pump,
improper fan operation, etc.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:22:12 -0700
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>
Subject: DeLorean For Sale

A friend of mine found a flyer for a DeLorean for sale in the Los
Angeles area.  I haven't seen the car and don't know the VIN, but I
thought I'd reprint the relevant info here in case anyone is interested:

	--------
	1981 DeLorean, Black Interior, 5-Speed Manual

	"This is a very original auto with less than 24,000 miles
	 It has an updated radio, stainless radiator overflow tank,
	 and some minor electrical upgrades including a battery
	 cut-off switch.  Included with the auto will be the original
	 radio and the plastic overflow tank.  I will also include
	 more than two years of DeLorean magazines and an owner's
	 manual."

	"The car is easy to start, fun to drive, has always been
	 stored inside, and maintained regularly."

	Price:	$17,499 OBO
	Work:	818-957-0640
	Home:	818-790-3239
			Bob O'Brien
	--------

FYI...

-- Joe

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:27:54 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Parts car

Thanks for all the inquireries I think its over 50 at this point and believe
it or not only three parts are duplicated
Seems like everyone had their own needs

As I said we will part it out after I get back from vacation the 24th
I will respond to every e-mail.

Thanks

Remaining parts will go on e-bay

Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 03:16:02 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The hose I think you are referring to is the overflow hose. If you
overfill the header bottle (the plastic bottle with the radiator cap
on it) then you will loose some coolant out the overflow hose. The
header bottle has lines on it to indicate full hot and full cold. It
should be kept between those lines. The coolant is supposed to be a
50/50 mixture of a premium branded ethelyne glycol based anit-freeze
(like Prestone) and soft water. Read the owner's manual if you have
one. If you don't then try to get one and a very good investment would
be to order the service manuals from one of the Delorean venders along
with an oil filter and drain plug adapter.

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:53:01 EDT
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

Ken (or anyone else)...
I am looking for a stainless overflow bottle if its on your car and in good
shape...

Thanks
Mike C
2109

billsfanmd(at)aol.com

Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 04:41:18 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Welcome to the environmentally incorrect world of 1981. In those heady
days many cars didn't have coolant recovery bottles. As coolant
expanded, excess was just spit onto the pavement. Car would eventually
reach homeostasis and stop. Note that this was coolant level for those
 conditions only. As temperature, trip length, altitude, etc changed,
coolant level would have to be topped off so process could start again.

Don't confuse big bottle on passenger pontoon with a coolant recovery
bottle. Is an expansion tank (is on pressurized side of radiator cap).
Mitigates somewhat above process -- many cars just had a hose hanging
off filler neck -- but coolant level will still have to be maintained
old fashioned way.

You could try to engineer a contemporary coolant recovery bottle onto
car, but note that radiator cap will need to change.

Re-route your overflow hose so it doesn't spit onto exhaust system.
Steam from overflow can look confusingly like cooling system leak.
Stinks too.