From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1630
Date: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 9:23 AM

1. eBay, Auction Fraud, Scams and Swindels
From: "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com>

2. DeLorean model trade & Bricklin forsale
From: "Fedeli, Joe (DSCP)" <Joe.Fedeli_at_dml_dla.mil>

3. Dealer sign for sale
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. Wheel bearing tech
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

5. Re: Door Lock Problem/Question
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

6. Re: Wheel bearing tech
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: Wheel bearing tech
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. Ann Arbor DeLorean
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

9. Re: Wheel bearing tech
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. TV Delorean sighting
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

11. door locks again
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. drivers trim loose
From: "armac.rm" <armac_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

13. RE: Wheel bearing tech
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

14. RE: Re: Wheel bearing tech
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

15. RE: Re: Wheel bearing tech
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

16. Re: eBay, Auction Fraud, Scams and Swindels
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

17. Re: Re: Preproduction Car On eBay--- Owner Reply
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. D sightings in Southern New Jersey
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Ann Arbor DeLorean
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:56:39 -0000
From: "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: eBay, Auction Fraud, Scams and Swindels

Dear Members of The Delorean Message Board,

My name is Sean M. Corbett.

It has been over a year since the police came to my home and seized
my property. Which has recently all been returned to me except a De
Lorean that I had in my possession which was meant for one of my
customers.

I am not writting this post to tease, taunt, or intimidate anyone. My
purpose is to deliver a message who those who have been affected by
my actions of last year, to those who have mearly heard the one sided
story.

I have put up a website called Seller Beware, which is about Seller's
like me, who have become victimized by their buyers, ebay and their
supliers. http://sellerbeware.5u.com. Contained within this website,
is information about me, what I was doing, and how I got into
trouble. Detailed information about my victims has not yet been
disclosed due to the legal terms I am bound too until after
sentencing.

Hopefully not only will others benifit from my experience, but you as
the Delorean community can see that what I did was in good faith, and
was not intended to damage the De Lorean community. I love De
Loreans, and always have and always will. I have been a fan since I
was a kid and always dreamed of owning one. Please know that I am
kind man, that only got way over his head and never meant to hurt
anyone.

In fact, despite what you have heard from victims, or others, I will
post in the future actual exibits and testimony from my case on my
website for all those to read and to see the truth that needs to be
told.

Thank you for reading,

Sean M. Corbett
Chandler, Arizona

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:27:16 -0400
From: "Fedeli, Joe (DSCP)" <Joe.Fedeli_at_dml_dla.mil>
Subject: DeLorean model trade & Bricklin forsale

I'm looking for someone that might want to trade a pewter DeLorean
with the doors open for a pewter toy DeLorean with the doors closed that I
have.  It's in perfect original condition, but without the box or
paperwork.  This is the out of production heavy model from the early '80's
New England company "Classic Cars of the World by The Danbury Mint".

Also, I have an unpainted white 1974 Bricklin SV1 rare 4-speed of which
about 150 were made total (AACA 2nd Junior _at_dml_ Carisle, PA event 6/03) all
original for sale if anyone's interested.  Please contact me directly off
list if interested in either...thanks!

Joe.Fedeli(AT)dla.mil

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:37:14 -0500
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Dealer sign for sale

Anyone interested in a dealer sign (currently located in N. Cal), email me
privately for the contact information. It's a one-sided sign, with light
box, asking price is $1000 plus shipping/crating.

James Espey
james (at) delorean.com

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:58:08 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Wheel bearing tech

The front wheel bearings don't look like what I was expecting.
(I was browsing the DMCH website). These look like sealed bearings or
something.

Can they be re-packed or not? My car has low mileage but the grease
is probably old and broken down and I'd like to re-pack them. Or do I
have to replace them outright?

What say you?

Rich

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:49:24 +0200 (MEST)
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de
Subject: Re: Door Lock Problem/Question

No, even japanese monsters can not do wonders !

Your solenoids may be burned. Search the archives for more informations.

Elvis

> I hope I can explain this clearly.  When I am sitting in my D, either
> driver or  passenger seat and decide to lock the doors, I have a problem.
The door

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:31:25 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel bearing tech

They are sealed dual roller bearings. Cannot be re-packed, replace
only. Most people just run 'em until they get noisy.

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:07:54 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

My bad - should have said dual BALL bearings, not roller bearings.

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:18:44 -0000
From: "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Ann Arbor DeLorean

There's a D for sale in Ann Arbor, Mi. I spoke with this owner once
before but have not seen the car... I can check out the car for
anyone if you'd like. Thought I'd offer!

thanks!
James LaLonde 4009

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:50:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

They are sealed bearings that cannot be cleaned or greased. All you
can do is check for excessive side play. If the car was ever flooded
up to the bearings then they should be changed out. As Dave S says
until they get loose or noisy they should be fine. They are expensive
so don't change them unless you really need to. Just about all of us
ARE running on 20 year old bearings and we don't hear anything about
front end failures except for the cars that have rusted out or cars
that didn't have the recalls done. ( you really can squirt some grease
into them with a needle through the seal but I don't recomend it).

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:29:03 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: TV Delorean sighting

Fellow DMCer's
My son let me know that there was a Delorean on Nickelodean (2) tonight at
10:00PM CST.
It is in a program called The Fairly Odd Parents. Only a small time on screen
but no question it is a D.
Bruce Battles
Vin 06569
MTARNDO

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:42:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: door locks again

Driver door lock will not open.  Surprise! I have tried everything  solenoids are good, (had them tested), and I'm at my wits end.  Almost all parts i.e rods, latch mechanism, and locks, even the electric switch is new and all are from dmc Houston. I don't know what I would do without those guys. I even had my lock module updated.  My problem is the if I make an adjustment to the door, It will either remain locked from the outside always but always open from the inside (regardless of the switch position). Or always open from the outside and the inside also, (regardless of the switch position) but absolutely no in between which is the way it is suppose to be. Hope I did not confuse anyone there.  My point being I cannot secure my delorean which is, of coarse  a problem. Or I'm locked out unless I go around the other side which is a real pain.  Pax. door works fine switch moves on both sides on bot! h doors but I still have the same problem the driver door. One thing which is odd when
 the driver door latch is pressed either engaged it locks both doors but never unlocks the pax door. Everything works great on the pax door. I have scared up my hands too many times and am willing to try just about anything.I have even taken off all panels, and I mean all, to compare the doors guts and they look similar.  Any help would be great.  *Late model Delorean '83, 35,000 miles, this problem started slowly, but now is a nightmare*

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:48:47 -0000
From: "armac.rm" <armac_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: drivers trim loose

What is the easiest way to remove the rear plastic trim that covers
the speaker? My car currently has the common problem of the trim
bolster coming loose from the trim panel and looks as though it might
be able to be refastened from the rear if I can get to it with out
causing more problems in the process. No wonder they went to a one
piece design later on in production.

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:04:15 -0400
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

Front wheel bearings can be repacked. They are from a Fiat 128. One piece outer race pressed into hub with two ball bearing cages and 2 inner races that slide onto the axle shaft. It should go without saying to re-torque properly upon reassembly.
Jim
6147

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:17:07 -0400
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: RE: Re: Wheel bearing tech

Dave,'
They are NOT roller bearings, but rather dual ball bearings. The inner races split and can be removed to allow the bearing assy to be repacked.
The oil seals on either end are delicate, but the inner races will snap off of the seals to allow you to disassemble the inners and repack.
Jim
6147

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:27:51 -0400
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

These bearings were about $45.00 each at autozone. Fiat 128. Not a really expensive bearing in my opinion. To replace , after removing a large circlip, they must be pressed into the hubs and must be done squarely to run true. They can be cleaned and repacked by removing the hub, and popping out the split inner races. Proper care must be taken with the seals. Don't be afraid of these things. It's not an exotic DeLorean only item. No reason to scare people into thinking they need a high dollar expert to deal with their front wheel bearings.
Jim
6147

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:34:54 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: eBay, Auction Fraud, Scams and Swindels

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "thinkstainless" <stldrgn_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> Dear Members of The Delorean Message Board,
>
> My name is Sean M. Corbett.
>
> It has been over a year since the police came to my home and seized
> my property. Which has recently all been returned to me except a De
> Lorean that I had in my possession which was meant for one of my
> customers.
>
> I am not writting this post to tease, taunt, or intimidate anyone.
My
> purpose is to deliver a message who those who have been affected by
> my actions of last year, to those who have mearly heard the one
sided
> story.
<SNIP>

As someone who read about these dealings on the sidelines, I feel
compelled to comment. After all, this has been quite an interesting
topic that I've followed.

For starters, it's nice to hear both sides of the story. And after
reading what little you've posted so far, MANY questions have been
answered, before they've even had a chance to be asked. You technicly
don't have to respond to anything, so I'll give you kudos there.

This is after all, the land of opprotunity, and if someone can make a
buck, that person will always be afforded the chance to do so. That's
what makes the country great. Be it an honest buck, or not.

Now, make no mistake, I'm not here to judge you. I've no investment
in anything related to you. But what I can tell you is this. Your
site has some great insigt into eCommerce security for both buyers,
and sellers. Which admittedly isn't something that I thought of
previously. At least in the ways that you describe. But, I seriously
think that your reasoning is still way off.

Put simply, you didn't fail, you got caught. It doesn't matter if
didn't mean harm to people, the fact remains that you did. Back in
high school, I had a friend, who's immigrant father fixed, and sold
cars. He got busted for odometer fraud. It was an honest mistake. He
thought that the odometer recorded only the milage on an engine, and
NOT the entire car. In the same way of course that you would record
the hours on a boat, or generator motor. So when he swapped motors
from a low milage car that had been in a wreck, he also swapped out
the odometer as well. Eventually, the guy whom he sold the car to
found out, and sued him. Even in court, he admitted what he had done,
not thinking anything wrong of it. He naturally lost the case. Even
though he too intended not to do any harm to anyone, he too broke the
law, and had to pay the price.

It's the same with you. Well, except for the fact instead of this
being an honest mistake, you admittedly hid the fact that you were
not in possession of said merchandise. You yourself even state that
it was a fact that had to be hidden from your customers. In order for
your business plans to work, you had to lie. From my POV as a buyer,
you being in possession of said merchandise is far more important
than if I can purchase it cheaper elsewhere.

Yes, I am an eBay'er, and yes, I too have gotten burned on auctions
in the past. But that doesn't make eBay responsible for your legal
reprocussions, any less than it does the sellers who incorrectly
represented their cars, nor especially the buyers whom you blame for
being too "premature", or "unjustified". Your scheme failed because
of your own arrogance. It's not that you overlooked the aspect of how
things could go wrong. You simply never took them into account. You
also failed to realize 2 main things: #1. The most sacred things to
people are their families, and their money. And not always in that
order. You NEVER screw with either one of them! #2. You failed to
research the buying and selling of used cars. I bet you never even
bothered to research how a "lemon law" might apply to you, since
you "represented" yourself as a business (I can only imagine the
kinds of additional laws you could have/may have broken as far as
fraud goes on that one). You didn't "Fail to take precautions" as you
state. You just failed to be a totally honest businessman.

And please, don't try to play the "Six degreese of Kevin Bacon" in an
attempt to compare yourself to John DeLorean to gain sympathy. It
doesn't work, and I find it totally inappropriate. John DeLorean was
entrapped, and later aquitted. You straight out knowingly, and
willingly broke the law.

>From the neutral aspect of how you plan worked, I'll give kudos there
as well. After all, you did have the balls enough to go thru with
your plan, and it did work for a time. And who knows. From a neutral
aspect, perhaps you yourself may have some sort of legal
reprocussions against the original people whom were selling said
cars. I doubt it, but perhaps you can figure out something there.
After all, just because you're going thru these legal problems, that
doesn't make them innocent after all for not being honest with YOU as
a buyer.

All is not lost though. With your background experience, your work
ethic, and the types of tactics that you utilize, I'd honestly
reccomend either becomming an Amway distributor, or for even less of
an investment, once your debt to society has been paid, I'd apply for
a position as an advisor/investigator with the Federal Trade
Commission. Steady work for someone in the new Information Age that
is driven by a Service Industry with your kind of experience.

Pay your debts, continue on, and see where life takes you.

BTW. If you really want to turn over a new leaf, and you truly
believe that "honest is the best policy", then start by entering in
the correct date on your web counter.

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:33:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Vin 5386 <delorean_stainless_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Preproduction Car On eBay--- Owner Reply

Id like to point out that anyone that is familiar with
a working garage will know that there are usually
parts everyware. If you were to look at my garage, and
I do have pics of it up on my website, you can see
that the longer the restoration goes on the more
crowded things come. Right now you'd be hard set to
find the D in my garage amoung all the extra parts.
When you restore cars theres going to be a huge mess.
The responcibility of the mechanic is to keep this
"mess" to a minimum. If a garage is a total mess and
everything is up side down then parts get damaged and
shows that the mechanic is quite sloppy in there
process. If everything is shelved, stacked off to the
sides, floors are clean sweeped, no large oil spills
around and the shop looks as though it functions in a
timly manner it is a good indication that the mechanic
also does. I know theres a few other people on this
list like me with a tiny garage. I feel your pain!
theres never enough room for everything. If you see a
commercial garage that is a total wreck you might just
want to move on. of course this is alot different then
a working garage. guess it all depends on you POV.

Todd
Vin 5386

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:50:58 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: D sightings in Southern New Jersey

One of my coworkers told me he went to a car show on Rt. 49 in Salem county,
NJ  last weekend and saw 2 DeLoreans... both automatics.  I had been sick or I
would have gone too.  My town is just about 30 minutes away from there, also
on Rt. 49.  Saw someone else driving a D on the other end of Rt. 49 near
Tuckahoe, NJ a few weeks ago.  I wasn't driving my D though, and didn't see it in
time to try to recognize the driver.  We were surprised.  I never see another D
on the road around here.   Anybody local?  From the DML?

Wayne A. Ernst
11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:32:52 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>
Subject: Re: Ann Arbor DeLorean

How can I say this without hurting anyones feelings. "Two's company, three's
a crowd". If you find a DeLorean for sale thats not posted on the DML just
gather as much information about it and post it on the DML. (Ex. price,
contact phone number, location) If anyone is interested they will contact
the seller directly. Why put yourself in the middle, unless you have a
personal financial gain intended, when the potential buyer can negotiate by
himself. If the buyer wishes to involve you he will contact you.

Dave Sontos