From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1636
Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 12:46 PM

1. Re: Missing updates -- now what?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. Repairing a starter solenoid
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

3. Home Made Plug Wires
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

4. Re: Delorean Show on History Channel Tuesday 8/26
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

5. Re: Spark Plug wires resistance.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. HOWTO: Air venturi removal and cleaning complete
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Door lights & Interior lights not working
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>

8. Re: Repairing a starter solenoid
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. DeLoreans in Atlanta
From: Darrenanddawn_at_dml_btinternet.com

10. Re: HOWTO: Air venturi removal and cleaning complete
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

11. DeLoreans on Monster Garage
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

12. Re: DeLoreans in Atlanta
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Backyard Monster Garage
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

14. radiator
From: "David W. Silek" <dsilek_at_dml_msn.com>

15. RE: Re: Repairing a starter solenoid
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

16. Re: Re: Looking for engine shop in MD
From: vahottub_at_dml_aol.com

17. Compliments on Monster Garage and Pittsburgh tech/cruise
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. One more thing -Monster garage
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Now that Toby-Tabs are not available, what is the best replacement TAB?
From: "hodakaguy" <hodakaguy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: DeLoreans on Monster Garage
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: DeLoreans in Atlanta
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. Re: replacement TABs
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

23. O2 sensor damage?
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:53:21 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Missing updates -- now what?

I would not worry about the throttle shield - it's really only
important if you drive the car in sub-freezing weather. For a
southern climate or summer-only car, consider it an appearance item.

All the parts are easily obtained from any DMC place, and are for the
most part relatively easy do-it-yourself projects. The only one that
even requires "power tools" is the ball-joint nut, just to drill the
hole for the cotter pin.

And I'd re-check that fan-fail update, lots of them, although done,
were not done very well and the wires will pull out of the lugs. At
least make sure that the crimps are secure, better yet there are good
aftermarket solutions with actual fuses and relays to beef up that
circuit.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Scott McMullan" <mcmullan_at_dml_n...>

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:56:41 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: Repairing a starter solenoid

Anyone had experience repairing a starter solenoid?

I need to replace the little plate that connects to the plunger. The
solenoid is otherwise working perfectly. I'm hoping I don't have to replace
the whole thing just to get this one little piece!

Check out the pic and you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://tg2.vantagep.com/solenoid.jpg

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:19:17 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Home Made Plug Wires

Doubt if any of the racing folks make umbrella boot wires, but here's
a thought:

Stress or fatigue broke one of my Bosch's at the plug end (probably
leaned against it working on something else). Made a replacement by
transferring umbrella boot to old straight boot wire. Unfortunately
cracked wire seal too, so I used part of former straight boot to make
an umbrella for the umbrella. Works, but am horse trading for an old
Bosch to have complete set.

Couldn't all 6 umbrellas be transferred to whatever wire set tickles
someone's fancy?

Looked up your MSD's in Jegs and they are indeed $60-75 a set. Guess
racing wires have come down in price.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, BondAtomic_at_dml_a... wrote:
> I don't know exactly which length and such would fit with the DMC,
but MSD
> makes one hell of a wire. I have their Super Conductor wires on my
Silverado,

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:31:14 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Show on History Channel Tuesday 8/26

Forewarning: program focuses on man more than machine. Some
interesting footage of factory & production. Prototype road tests too.
Lengthy comparison to VW Bug at beginning totally out of place (apples
vs oranges), but listen closely to cars being loaded on ship
immediately following -- are those exhaust leaks or did they just run
Bug soundtrack too long?

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 03:29:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Spark Plug wires resistance.

You really have to be careful with carbon (resistance) wires. You can
NEVER pull on them. It take very little force on them to break the
carbon inside. An old mechanics trick to see if you have a breakdown
in the high tension side of the ignition system is to get a small
portable radio. Set it on AM in between stations. Hold it near the
motor when running. If you hear a lot of noise (ticks) then you might
have sparks jumping somewhere that you might not even see like inside
the wire jacket or in the spark plug well. Another old trick is to run
the motor in the dark and WITH YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS  look over
the motor at the cap, ignition wires and spark plug wells. If you see
a blue glow or sparks jumping around you have to replace the ignition
wires, cap, rotor, etc. BE CAREFUL, you are dealing with a lot of
voltage. If the shock doesn't injure you it could cause you to pull
your hand back and damage it on a sharp edge or if you jump back you
could fall and hurt yourself. The resistance on suppression wires
varies with the length of the wire. They are not all the same length
so they WILL vary in resistance. I forgot the rule of thumb for the
resistance per foot. Never pull on the wires to remove from the spark
plugs. You should pull on the boot with a twisting motion. Inspect for
cracks and hardness, the wires should be flexible. Any cracks or
hardness indicates a spot where the electric was arcing out of the wire.

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: HOWTO: Air venturi removal and cleaning complete

Hello all:

    The air venturi removal and cleaning bring the
count to 7 on the howto list.  I have enough pics to
belt out two more howto's but it takes a good while to
write up this stuff.

    This howto also addresses two common vac. leaks.

The air venturi gasket
The aux air pipe

The aux air pipe will actually be a howto all by
itself with the idle speed unit.

Also some real good pictures of my new stainless fuel
lines are included.  swapping fuel lines will get a
howto as well, for those who wish to do the changover
too.

The new lines make the engine compartment alot less
cluttered.

Enjoy! (feedback too) (guestbook?)

thanx

jordan 11613

howto #7
http://retroserver.no-ip.com/delorean/venturiremove.html

main page
http://retroserver.no-ip.com/index2.html

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:39:19 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <delorean_at_dml_home.nl>
Subject: Re: Door lights & Interior lights not working

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:44:01 -0000,
"dmcorlando2003" <SundeQuick_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:

> My lights on my doors an my interior dome lights were working
> perfectly.  I unplugged the two doors to save my battery
[snip]
> Curiously though, when I close the doors and turn the dome
> light to on, the light on the dash comes on showing the door
> is open and the light glows very very faintly.

Everything you described points to a lack of power to the system.
This commonly occurs on cars with either a blown or missing #12 fuse
or a so called "battery saver" switch (I've got one on mine)

Did you check if the luggage light and/or engine light also work?
If they don't you'll know for sure, because they're on the same
fused part of the electrics. Double Check fuse# 12, better yet,
replace it, but first check if you get power to the socket for
the fuse. Also check if the contacts aren't pushed in too far.

Reason the "Door Ajar" light still works is that it's powered
from a drifferent circuit, the light still working indicates
that your switches both work like they should.

Just remember that the door- and interior lights are switched
ground, as opposed to just about ALL other systems...

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw

Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000
--------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:52:02 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Repairing a starter solenoid

Can you take it apart and just flip the plate over? Although yours
looks pretty toasted, I've done this on other starters.

Dave S

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:06:02 +0100 (BST)
From: Darrenanddawn_at_dml_btinternet.com
Subject: DeLoreans in Atlanta

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if someone out there can help me, I'm looking to get a D soon as I've been a fan since they first came out.....makes me feel old just thinking about it...ahhh the 80's, Bazooka Joe bubblegum, The Red Hand Gang and Tiswas (UK saturday morning TV prog for all the non UK folk).  Anyway enough of all that and back to the D.........as I was saying, I'm looking to get a D soon but the sad fact is I have never actually seen one in the flesh...well steel really.  Even though I'm from the UK I currently live in Atlanta, Ga and was hoping that someone who lives vaguely close to me would be prepared to show me their DeLorean.  I know that SEDOC is close and hope to go but if someone can help/advise then I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Darren
Hopefully soon to be "part of the gang"

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 02:59:16 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

By "aux air pipe" am assuming you mean "idle speed motor supply pipe."
Stock DeLo does not have aux air valve as nearly all its fuel injected
contemporaries did. Seems like splitting hairs, but could be
confusing. For example, see Message #34379.

I do have proper BMW aux air valve engineered onto my DeLo in lieu of
idle speed motor, but am definitely minority. Pics in #5939's photo
album if you're curious.

Good luck with those vacuum leaks...

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:20:09 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: DeLoreans on Monster Garage

Now it can be told - initial airing of the "Monster Garage" episode
with our group of DMC-nuts building a rock crawler/monster truck
aired tonight. Repeat on Friday and Sunday, look for the "American
Monsters" episode in local listings. More background pix at
www.dmcnews.com, link in the center of the page.

The names you may recognize from the DML are Rich Weissensel, Bryan
Pearce, Marty Maier, Eric Weber, and me.

It's severely edited from the 4 days that we worked on it, but
actually came out pretty well. We were not sure what to expect, and
were pleasantly surprise by how much of the DeLorean background
material stayed in.

A huge thanks to Rich for talking the MG people into this thing,
 and making all the sponsor arrangements etc. He was really key to
the effort.

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:49:56 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: DeLoreans in Atlanta

Depending which side of Atlanta you live, should be able to throw a
rock and hit Gainesville. SEDOC less than month away. Great
opportunity to meet spectrum of owners and vendors. In addition to
concours, I'll show you what a fixer-upper looks like. Personally
would aim for Sep 20-21.

Details: http://specialtauto.com/sedoc/

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:34:46 -0400
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Backyard Monster Garage

Hey, just saw the backyard monster garage build. Sure do wish I saw it
climb over some rocks. I loved the jump. Too bad you couldnt have had
D-Rex next to it for comparison. Of course forgetting to adjust the PSI
is easy to do when you stay up as late as you guys did.

I do have to say though, well done. There is no way I could ever pull
such a thing off. I have to congratulate all of you that worked on it.
Now if only one of us would jump in one of our time machines and go back
to provide a few hints :P

Samuel

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:57:51 -0400
From: "David W. Silek" <dsilek_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: radiator

whoever had the radiator  for sale, please contact me  at dsilek_at_dml_msn.com
thank you.
david silek

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:38:09 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Repairing a starter solenoid

Well, as a temporary fix I hammered some copper pipe flat and created a new
plate. But, this wasn't the problem. As it turns out I wasn't getting a good
ground from the starter to the mounting bracket. After I ran the starter
jumpered to the engine block, I cleaned it and cleaned the mounting bracket.
That solved the problem.

Now I just have to get the car started...

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:41:05 EDT
From: vahottub_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Looking for engine shop in MD

The best engine shop in the area of DC VA MD is AutoScandia in Herdon
Virginia -- Ask for Paul Garland, who is a dreamworker and a saint!

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:34:15 -0000
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Compliments on Monster Garage and Pittsburgh tech/cruise

Hey guys, saw the show last night. AWESOME job. Great shots of the
DeLoreans. Dave, I wish I had that garage. I've talked to a couple of
you - good to put faces to names.

On a side note, this weekend was a great turnout. Thanks to Dave
Strangand, Dan and Judy Plakosh, Pete Lucas, Jeff Porter, Jim
Witherspoon, and Chris Bowman for coming by and bring their expertise
and, more importantly, their Deloreans! We got some torsion bar
adjustments and other minor things done. We also got some good
pictures and quite a bit of attention at a local cruise where the
cars made a guest appearance. As I told all of them, I may have ONE
more before the weather gets bad. Hope to see even more people there!

Dom

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:41:37 -0000
From: "dom1172" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: One more thing -Monster garage

The commentator's intro for DeLoreans stunk "these were all the rage
in the 70s" or something to that effect??? What was?? The prototype?

Anyway, Rich W, why no mention of the D-Rex? Seems like it would be a
good topic based on the project you guys were tasked to perform...Or
did I miss this answer already?

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:20:11 -0000
From: "hodakaguy" <hodakaguy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Now that Toby-Tabs are not available, what is the best replacement TAB?

Hello.  I'm wanting to replace my TAB's and would love to replace
them with a set of Toby-Tabs but I see they arn't available anymore.
If anyone has a set of new Toby-Tabs for sale please e-mail me.  What
are the best replacement TAB's next to the Toby-Tabs?  Thanks in
advance.  Hodaka Guy

Tom Clouse
Vin# 01063

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:30:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLoreans on Monster Garage

Saw the rock "climber" episode last night.  Lots of
fun.  I think the star of the show was Julie!  Now
there's a neat lady.

While I knew everyone else and had spent enough time
at Dave's to not be too blown away by the garage, it
was nice to be able to put a face to "Eric Who?".

Good job guys.

Dick Ryan

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:01:38 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

I don't know your budget, or how far you're willing to travel... but
you won't find a nicer car than Bob Thomason's here in Charlotte, NC.
Depending on where you live in Atlanta, it will most likely be about
a 4 hour drive up I-85. Absolutely everything in that car has been
replaced and upgraded. You could hop in it now and drive it anywhere
in the world. If you're interested, contact Bob at rdt7(at)
carolina.rr.com . If you don't get a DeLorean before SEDOC, that's ok
too! It will be a great experience of seeing an array of cars with
varying appearances, and you will learn a ton. The "war stories" are
always entertaining... lol.

Louie Golden
VIN 10115 Sanford & Charlotte, NC

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:09:13 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: replacement TABs

John Hervey has a very affordable alternative, although his won't
survive a nucleur holocaust like the Toby Tabs will... lol. Check
them out on his site, and you can decide if they're for you-
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/chassis-frame.html .
Walter Coe also has also made some up, contact him at Whalt(at)
att.net .

Louie Golden

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:03:44 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: O2 sensor damage?

Can you ruin an O2 sensor with a super-over rich condition or with
excessive heat, say from a glowing cat?

The dwell meter on my car says the lambda computer and hence the freq
valve are not operating properly.

Since I've been told by multiple sources that the ECU almost -never-
dies, the O2 sensor is the most logical next item. The problem is,
mine's nearly new. I did have it installed way back when my fuel
system was totally hosed. I got the cat converter to glow cherry red
a few times.

Thanks,

Rich