From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1647
Date: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 9:18 AM

1. Re: Electrical help / Starting problem - I'm stuck
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de

2. Re: Electrical help / Starting problem - I'm stuck
From: "Lloyd Miles" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

3. Re: Re: Ital Design Anniversary
From: Don Ekhoff <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>

4. no turn singles, marker lights, or 4-ways
From: Steve Deichman <swdeichman_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Electrical help / Starting problem - I'm stuck
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

6. Re: Electrical help / Starting problem - I'm stuck
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

7. RE: Thinking of putting CD Player in Driver Comparment....
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

8. Re: no turn singles, marker lights, or 4-ways
From: "hodakaguy" <hodakaguy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Power Mirror Switch
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Door latch adjustments
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

11. Sol A.Shenk
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

12. Re: no turn singles, marker lights, or 4-ways
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:34:44 +0200 (MEST)
From: elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de
Subject: Re: Electrical help / Starting problem - I'm stuck

The rpm relay needs a signal from the distributor to activate the relay.
No ignition signal - no pumping !

Elvis

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:34:31 -0700
From: "Lloyd Miles" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

After reading all your problems I can't figure if I'm lucky or what, on
#3502 the fuel pump comes on in the on position and pressurizes the system,
turn to start and she goes every time, in the 5 years of owner ship have
never had to even touch the gas pedal to start, will hunt maybe twice for
idle and we are ready to go, may be lucky on my end but figure if it isn't
broke don't fix it. Still think the pump should come on in the on position.
My 1 cent worth
Lloyd  #3502

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:52:30 -0700
From: Don Ekhoff <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Ital Design Anniversary

Did he get paid for his efforts?  Nothing extinguishes the enthusiasm
and professional pride more than not being paid (for a job well done, I
might add).  Perhaps he got paid for the first sharp-edged prototype but
the rounded corner, production effort went unpaid.  As I remember it, it
was a much bigger job than was anticipated and Lotus ended up doing much
of the work.  Much was made of how many pieces of internal structure had
to be retooled.  Maybe there was bad blood developed at this point?
Dunno      Automobile Mag. just had a two issue feature on Giugiaro and
the DeLorean was notably absent.

Don E.
6543

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:06:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Deichman <swdeichman_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: no turn singles, marker lights, or 4-ways

Need some help,

I have lost my marker lights, 4-ways, and turn singels.  There is no power at the
fuse box for RT or LT turn singles or horn/marker fuese?

Is there relay that controls the power to the fused that should be hot all the time?

thanks for any help!

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 05:22:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The older RPM relays act just as you describe. The newer ones will
pulse the fuel pump on for a moment when you first turn the ignition
on and then start running steadily once the motor starts. I am not
sure but I think the older style relays had a white spot on them. They
also have a moderate failure rate. If it bothers you just replace it
with the newer one.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "James LaLonde" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_e...>

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 13:04:15 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

This is a common symptom I believe. I have replaced the relay and
played around with the circuit to stop this. I discovered that the
connection on the RPM pickup at the coil has to be CLEAN. That
seemed to clear up that problem. However, every so often I will
notice it will not activate. If I continue to notice the prime step
falling off I clean the connection and it seems fine again. The
wiring connections in the D harness need constant monitoring. I've
gotten to the point when I clean a connection, I check the entire
thing, crimp and all, and put a light coat of silicone grease on the
connection. That has gotten rid of nearly all the intermittent
stuff. BTW there is a good article in the current issue
of "Gullwing" on the crimp issue and electrical connections in the D.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:51:55 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: Thinking of putting CD Player in Driver Comparment....

My suggestion is to get the new Sony 10 disc MP3 changer.  HOURS on
music.  ;)

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:30:49 -0000
From: "hodakaguy" <hodakaguy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: no turn singles, marker lights, or 4-ways

I'm not sure if this will help or not but I had my turn signals and 4-
ways go out also, it ended up being the electrical plug had became
disconnected from the back of the hazard switch in the center
console.  I reached behind the console and plugged it back in and
everything started working again.  Tom Clouse

Vin# 01063

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Deichman <swdeichman_at_dml_y...>

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 17:19:50 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Power Mirror Switch

Is there a diagram or info on how to fix the power mirror switch,
like the one for the defroster switch?

HAs anyone put together a how to step by step guide to track down
vacuum leaks?  Sounds like this is a very popular problem from the
car.

Dvae & 6530

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 18:31:26 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Door latch adjustments

I know this was covered somewhere, but after searching for about an
hour I couldn't find it.  I'm in the process of adjusting my door
latches so that they release simultaneously when I try to open the
door.  The problem I was having was that the rear latch would
release before the front one, and make the door seem difficult to
open.

So I have the door apart, trying to adjust the rods using the
service manual.  I'm currently adjusting the front latch rod which
is attached to the exterior door handle.  It seems if I adjust it
one way, I can't unlock the door, if I adjust it the other way, I
can't unlatch the door.  Any help?

thanks,

Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:21:22 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Sol A.Shenk

"Sol A. Shenk, 83, Merchandiser Who Built a 700-Store Empire," The
New York Times, September 1, 1994

Today 9 years to the date Sol A.Shenk passed away.Here is a little
history of the man and his interactions with the Delorean History.

"Everybody loves a bargain,"

CALL IT FACTORY SURPLUS, close-outs, liquidated merchandise, even
junk: Nearly every day Sol Shenk accepts 100 truckloads of it at his
Columbus, Ohio warehouse.

Shenk (sounds like crank), founder and chairman of Consolidated
Stores Corp., is a knee-slapping, stooped-over 74-year-old kid who
knows that those trucks are packed with bargains. There are 6 million
Rubikıs Cube puzzles, for example. Theyıd been dead in the
market two
years when Shenk found CBSı toy company trying to unload them.

"They used to sell for $8," Shenk recalled. "We said if we could sell
them for 49 cents, it would be a hell of a deal." Shenk took the
cubes from CBS at about 8 cents apiece. "In about a year we got rid
of practically all of them," Shenk smiles.

Shenk gets rid of the stuff through Consolidatedıs Big Lots and
Odd
Lots stores. (No relation to Revcoıs troubled Odd-Lots division in
the East.) Two years ago he had 45 stores. Now there are 189, with 2
opening each week, mostly on well-traveled roads around small towns
in rural Ohio, Indiana and West Virginia. Which means that Sol Shenk
is presiding over the countryıs biggest and fastest-growing chain
of
its type.

Dollar General Corp. of Scottsville, Ky., with 1,300 stores in 23
states, also thrives on cut-rate appeal and low-rent locations. But
Dollar General handles more soft goods and far less merchandise from
manufacturersı closeouts. Sol Shenkıs business is 80% hard
goods, a
ceaselessly shifting mix that embraces items like $18 West Bend crock
pots; $1.49 Gillette deodorant; $3.99 14-piece Ram Screwdriver sets;
$1.99 Cannon towels; and 29-cent extra-long telephone cords.

Says one Columbus shopper: "There's almost nothing you can count on
finding there except some gem that you could probably live without
but have to have at that price."

Consolidated's sales this year are headed to $390 million, up from
$74 million two years ago. Profits should top $20 million, compared
with $4.3 million two years ago. Same-store sales (a key figure,
since it's easier to increase sales by opening new stores instead of
tightly managing those you have) are growing at an enviable 13% a
year. K mart, no slouch in the same store sales growth department,
has been hitting 8%.

The competition? Virtually nonexistent in the Midwest, though others
have tried to make the formula work in other parts of the country.
It's harder than it looks. Revco's 153-store chain in nine eastern
states has lost money for two years. Why? Revco doesnıt have the
relationships to get enough good closeouts. Irwin Jacob's COMB (Close-
Out Merchandise Buyers) Co. recently took a $4.5 million charge
against earnings to close half its 41 retail stores scattered around
the plains states. COMB knows how to buy and has done well peddling
higher-end closeouts by directmail. But it stocked it stores with too
many relatively expensive appliances and consumer electronics that
were too dear for the closeout customer.

Only on the West Coast has a successful rival burgeoned: Los Angeles-
based Pic 'N' Save, with 97 stores and nearly $300 million a year in
sales, has been printing money for decades ­ producing pretax
margins
of 30% (outrageous for retail, where 10% is extraordinary), profits
greater than 30% of equity, and steadily increasing same-store sales.

Most of the time, Shenk gets his goods from manufacturers, frequently
of well-known brands for whom overruns, product failures and
packaging changes are part of business. Occasionally, though, he
canıt resist a bargain, even if it means venturing outside his
stores. In 1982 he and two other liquidators bought 2,800 De Lorean
cars, parceled them out to dealers around the country and sold them
all in 18 months. He bought them so cheap, in fact, that the court-
appointed receiver for De Lorean Motor Co. is suing to recover some
of the profits.

Sol Shenk says he has hated to pay full price for anything since he
was a kid in Columbus. Even today, his office furniture, phone
systems, store fixtures and store leases are all purchased at
distress prices. Shenk even picked his executive vice president, Sol
Norflus, and 100 of his retail managers out of the wreckage of a
regional discount chain. "I came cheap," says Norflus, stretching the
truth for the sake of hyperbole. His salary today is $362,000.
Norflus brought Shenk retail skills. Shenk had never been much good
at anything besides buying low and wholesaling. After failing as a
manufacturer of auto parts, Shenk started a company in 1967 to buy
and wholesale closeout car parts. That was okay until he tried
opening retail stores to sell the parts. It was a dumb move: How many
people browse for bargain shock absorbers and mufflers?

It was Shenk's son, Charles, now Consolidated's president, who
noticed that people were shopping the stores for household closeouts
rather than for auto parts. Now Sol is on a roll. "We'll be a billion
dollars [in sales] in three more years," he boasts. That would mean
500 stores. Which also means that the genuinely hard part is still to
come: not only opening, but also supplying, all those stores with
smart buys. Notice that Pic 'N' Save is expanding, too, but adding
only a dozen or so stores a year.

Consolidated's growth jeopardizes Shenk's relationships with
manufacturers. They don't want their closeout items sold down the
block from their first-line merchandise if they can help it. Says
one: "The wider they get into distribution, the more problems and
conflicts it could cause us with our good retailers."

But now here's a bargain for you: Sol and Charles Shenk own 6.6
million shares of company stock. They got it at a very nice price: 66
cents apiece. The stock, which went public in June 1985, now sells
around 15. If that is a bargain for the Shenks, it's less of one for
the public.

"Sol A. Shenk, 83, Merchandiser Who Built a 700-Store Empire," The
New York Times, September 1, 1994

By JOHN HOLUSHA

Sol A. Shenk, who built a single surplus outlet in Columbus, Ohio,
into the Consolidated Stores Corporation, an empire with more than
700 stores and annual sales of $1.1 billion, died yesterday in
Columbus, his hometown. He was 83.

The cause of death was a heart attack, said Brady Churches, the
company's president.

Mr. Shenk was best known for his purchase of the remains of DeLorean
Motors, the automobile company founded by the former General Motors
executive John Z. DeLorean.

When DeLorean Motors filed for bankruptcy in 1982, Mr. Shenk bought
the remaining stocks of the exotic-looking cars with the stainless
steel exterior and as many spare parts as he could find.

"We bought about 2,500 cars and 150 trailer loads of parts and sold
every one of the cars," Mr. Churches said. "We sold about half of
them to car dealers and retailed the other half."

The DeLorean was not Mr. Shenk's only encounter with a car with
upward-opening doors known as "gull wings." In the mid-1970's he
bought what remained of the company that manufactured the Bricklin
sports car and apparently did something that neither Mr. DeLorean nor
Malcolm Bricklin had been able to do: make money by selling parts to
car owners.

Mr. Churches said the company that would become Consolidated Stores
was founded in 1967 by Mr. Shenk, who bought odd lots of merchandise
from production overruns, bankruptcies and overstock and sold it
through the store in Columbus. As the business grew, he bought and
sold vans, jeeps, office equipment, Veg-o-Matics and stocks of car
parts, adding stores along the way.

Today the company, based in Columbus, operates stores with names like
Odd Lots, Big Lots, All for $1 and It's a Deal.

Mr. Shenk tried to start a cable television home-shopping network in
the Columbus area in 1988, but lack of response caused it to fold
after a few months. "We had to sink a lot of money into it or get
out, and he decided not to be in the television business," Mr.
Churches said. "He was a little ahead of his time."

Mr. Shenk retired as chairman of Consolidated in 1989 but retained
the title chairman emeritus. "He still came and visited," Mr.
Churches said. "He had a caretaker attitude toward the company."

Mr. Shenk is survived by his wife of 56 years, Florence; his sons,
Charles, Richard and William; his sister, Sarah Greene of Great Neck,
L.I., and eight grandchildren.

DeLorean Sale Cleared," The New York Times, November 17, 1982

DETROIT, Nov. 16­A Federal bankruptcy judge here cleared the way
today
for an Ohio auto parts company to purchase the United States assets
of the DeLorean Motor Company for $1.5 million, plus assumption of
about $9 million in debt.

The sale, which yields DeLoreanıs secured creditors about 3 cents
on
each $1 in debt, gives Consolidated International Inc. of Columbus,
Ohio, ownership of 649 cars with an estimated retail value of $17.5
million; spare parts worth another $1.2 million, and sole United
States distribution rights.

DeLorean Motor filed for protection from its creditors on Oct. 25,
six days after John Z. DeLorean, its founder, was arrested in Los
Angeles on Federal drug charges. The British arm of the company was
ordered liquidated by the British Government on Oct. 19.

In his decision to allow the sale, Judge George Woods said the case
was complex but a timely decision was required. "The DeLoreans could
almost fall into the category of a perishable item," he said.

Attorneys for Consolidated, which is headed by a 70-year-old
investor, Sol. A. Shenk, disclosed in court that the company had also
purchased 1,090 cars from the British receivers and would sell them
in this country.

Mr. Shenk has also made an $80 million offer to lease the DeLorean
factory in Northern Ireland, to resume operations there at a reduced
rate.

Claude

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:12:25 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

The fuse slots in the circuits you mention (Fuses 2 and 8 are the
marker fuses) have a history of self destruction. Are they deformed
in any way? No power at those fuses indicates a break in the wire
some where as they should be "hot" at all times. Fuse 6 that powers
the horns and directional indicator lamps is hot at all times also
but the hazard switch could be bad causing no turn signals or
possibly the flasher switch could be bad also. There are techniques
to test the functions at the harness plug-in near the ignition
switch with a jumper wire and test light but what you describe
indicates a wire break.

You should probably disconnect the battery, pull up the fuse box to
see under it and determine if any wires are burned and/or
disconnected.

Also, it sounds like you do not have the manuals and wiring
diagrams. These are a must if you are going to tinker.

Harold McElraft - 3354