From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1653
Date: Saturday, September 06, 2003 10:08 AM

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <StadnickAd_at_dml_usa.irene.net>

From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: Dan McNasby <dan_mcnasby_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "freakybeetle" <freakybeetle_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. "Rustproof" DeLorean
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:32:14 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Starting is such sweet sorrow

Some things to check:
Make sure there is a plug in the hole over the mixture screw in the
mixture unit.
The control pressure regulater could be bad
The mixture screw could be way out of adjustment
The throttle plates not returned all the way to idle.
Large vacuum leak
No electrical power at the control pressure regulater and-or cold
start system
You should also check to make sure you have a nice blue spark. A bad
connection at the ballast resistors could cause a hard start.

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:19:01 -0000
From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <StadnickAd_at_dml_usa.irene.net>
Subject: Re: Change Windows In A DeLorean?

http://www.entermyworld.com/wdmorg/97windows.html

Try here. The pictures may or may not work (I had to ask someone to
send them to me). From here you can probably find some contact info
and get something on how to do it.

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:42:43 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Pidgeon Forge Convoy

I'm from NY and plan on going.

Regards,

Michael

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:40:08 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

this may sound silly...but you did check the condition of the inertia
switch right?

I guess if that were the problem, you wouldn't be able to keep the car
running once you got it started.

Oh well...just a thought.

Let us know what it ends up being,
Josh
Ken's VIN 5609 (parts car...get it while it's here...ebaying has begun)

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:52:54 -0400
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Driving vs. less.

Both Bob and Dick have good points.
Naturally, as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
I guess because I am a relatively 'new' owner -only had my dream car
since July of '01), I view driving the car as more of a thrill than a
labor.
Maybe the 'honeymoon' excitement will wear off with time, but how does
anyone get used to feeling like you're the Santa float in a parade every
time you take a DeLorean out for a spin?
Yes, it can be a little stressful.  I was scared stiff for about the
first hour of our first big 8 hour drive to Florida.
But after a while, I just relaxed and started to enjoy it!

(quick story): At one point on the highway, the driver just ahead
climbed partially out of his window, turning backwards to snap a
picture. (I quickly realized that he must have had a passenger that was
holding the wheel for him!)

There is no question that DeLoreans delight viewers.  This PARTICULARLY
includes other owners (I think.)  As much as I enjoy sharing our car at
shows, I really get a kick out of seeing other DeLoreans.  It's a joy
that is hard to put a price on.  And as for going to gatherings, like
the upcoming SEDOC in Atlanta, we've decided to make the drive an
'ADVENTURE', rather than a burden.  Yes, we have all the associated
expenses and more, since our employees will work more hours in our
absence.  But hey, it's an Adventure!  And cheaper than a safari. . .
And I can't wait until Pigeon Forge!
For those undecided about 'coming out', here are some thoughts:
Form a convoy.  Stop and buy everyone a pecan log at Stucky's.  Help
change a flat, and have stories to share about what you did with the tire!
Life is incredibly short.  SPEND time with friends.  And, as they say,
'you can't take it with you', so drive it now.

Oliver
10694

>    From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
> Subject: Re: Costs for Driving  to Pigeon Forge
>
> I have received a number of inquiries regarding shipping verses driving
> cars to PF.

<snip>

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:06:39 EDT
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

We usually have a good size convoy from the northeast area going to Kens
shows.  I am sure we will work out another as the time nears.

Gary Gore
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:16:58 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

See several threads about this in vincinity of Message #33982.

I believe Bob Bandys is fellow who actually converted.

Note is 3 part window, center of which drops. Door shape prevents
lowering one single pane.

Also is plastic of some sort, not glass.

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:18:35 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Towing a Delorean to Pigeon Forge

I was debating taking my car to Pigeon Forge on a flat bed to save the
mileage, and be slightly more comfortable.  Does anyone know how I would
go about find out pricing to rent a vehicle and flatbed to do this?   Is
it worth it?

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:40:08 -0400
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:57:19 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Kevin Abato - NJ  Count me in!

Quoting Tom Watkins <dmctom_at_dml_earthlink.net>:

> Ok,  It is probably WAY too early to ask this but......Are there any
> owners in the North East (I'm in Maine) who want to meet somewhere on
> the East Coast for a awesome caravan to the event?   We should plan on
> trip itinerary...stops, re-fueling, where to stay on the way
etc....For
> you seasoned veterans of past convoys who are already thinking of this
> would love to join as would some other from Maine who are planning on
> going!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:26:02 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Ok, if it won't turn over when warm except with starting fluid then
it's not your cold start valve.

If it's your control pressure regulator being stuck in a "warm"
condition I would expect the engine to run a little rough until it
warms up. Is this the case? No...because when the engine is warm it
still won't start. Hm. Ok so the CPR may be WAY out of whack then.

As Dave has said, ensure that the setscrew is closing the idle
microswitch when the throttle plates are at rest. If your idle
regulator is cut out of the ckt, it may not have enough air to start.
(choked off?)

Ensure the idle regulator isn't stuck. Make sure it buzzes (That
doesn't prove much tho. mine was a rusted piece of junk and it buzzed)
The valve should open all the way, then slowly close over a period of
3-5 seconds when you first energize it. (Key pos II or "run"). (Again,
choked off)

When cranking, and NOT using starter fluid, do you smell a lot of
unburned fuel? When it's running do the fumes drive you away? (Flooding?)

How well does it drive? Lots of power? Smooth idle? (Too lean)

I would check these things BEFORE messing with the CO screw. It's such
a pain to set.

I think you have no air, or not enough fuel to start. But we'll see
what your answers are.

Rich

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:54:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan McNasby <dan_mcnasby_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean Question

I am very interested in buying a Delorean but would like to know what are the relative merits of the DeLorean over the Following Cars (basically, why buy the delorean over the following) are:

1.  1994 Dodge Viper RT/10

2.  1995 Acura NSX

 Why is the DeLorean better to own than the above cars?

Thanks for the input!

Dan

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:00:12 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 9/5/03 9:43:39 AM Central Daylight Time, RRouya_at_dml_ATTBI.com
writes:

> Hi, just wondering if there is any way to change the side windows in
> a DeLorean to standard side windows.  I really dont like how the
> DeLorean side windows only go up and down half way.  I like the
> entire window to go up and down.  So if anyone has done this change
> or know of a kit or if its even possible let me know.  Thanks.

No there isn't a kit but i believe another list member has done it.  It's not
easy because the window needs to go down and inward due to curvature of the
body if you have a 'full' window.  i believe you need to adjust the torsion
bars as well to compensate for the weight of a full window in the bottom of the
door when you open it up.  not to mention all the mechanics and such is quite
cramped as it already is.  in my opinion, definitely not worth the expense and
the smaller window adds to the appeal of the car.

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:16:37 -0400
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

The other fact is you only need 12" or less to open the door so just
about any place you need to get something thru a window you can open
your door and get. It sits low enough that you have the height clearance
also.

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:15:16 -0400
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: Delorean Question

Personally, it is all about taste and what you enjoy. If you want a
fairly rare vechile that isn't off the chart in price but dont mind the
fact that it is 20 years old and things will break (not if, will) and
can be fun to drive, then a delorean works well. On the other hand if
you want to spend lots of money and show you have money and want lots of
horsepower then pick something else.

The Delorean is a great car, but you do have to care for it and have the
ability to repair it when something breaks (either made of money and
always send it to a shop like DMC Houston or can fix yourself). Of
course I have to throw in the uniqueness of the gullwing doors. Not many
other vechiles have it.

Samuel

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 00:13:37 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Well Dan - I'm sure that there are countless ways to answer your
question, but here is my input ... The mystique surrounding the entire
DeLorean story, the timeless design, the gull-wing doors and stainless
steel skin all combine (with many other factors) to create a car with
a "cool factor" that blows the other two away (IMHO).  If you park a
nice DeLorean next to an NSX, the Acura will get a passing glance as
the people walk over to get a better look at the D.  Also, anybody
with a checkbook can own a Dodge.  Are the other two cars faster than
the DeLorean?  Yes.  So, it depends on whether you want to own an
upgraded Honda or Dodge, or a car with the depth of a great and
mysterious story and history behind it.  Check this out sometime ...
people will walk up to a Viper, an NSX, a Ferrari, or whatever, and as
often as not will frown at it, as if to say that "obviously, the owner
of the car did something wrong to get the car".  In my 15 years of
DeLorean ownership, I can't think of anybody who didn't walk up to the
car with a smile or look of awe and wonder.  Of course, they then open
their mouths and ask a lame question about cocaine in the doors or
whatever, but that's part of the charm.  Definitely comes down to
personal choice.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:30:53 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

1. The Delorean is cheaper.
2. The D doesn't rust.
3. The headlights (and probably some other parts) are a lot cheaper.  (I
just priced a new Viper headlight at $632, vs ~$12 for the delorean per
side).

Thats all I can think of.
Jim
1537

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:54:52 -0700 (PDT) Dan McNasby
<dan_mcnasby_at_dml_yahoo.com> writes:

> I am very interested in buying a Delorean but would like to know
> what are the relative merits of the DeLorean over the Following Cars
> (basically, why buy the delorean over the following) are:
>
> 1.  1994 Dodge Viper RT/10
>
> 2.  1995 Acura NSX

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:44:05 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

dan_mcnasby_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> I am very interested in buying a Delorean but would like to know what are
> the relative merits of the DeLorean over the Following Cars (basically, why
> buy the delorean over the following) are:
>
> 1.  1994 Dodge Viper RT/10
>
> 2.  1995 Acura NSX
>
> Why is the DeLorean better to own than the above cars?
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> Dan

OK, here is my opinion....

1. Mint condition fully updated and loaded DeLorean with all options is less
initial cost than either one.
2. DeLorean has far greater sex appeal, not to mention the waves, stares,
laughs, and thumbs-up
3. DeLorean doesn't blend into traffic like both of the above
4. DeLoreans do not depreciate, in fact some would argue they are on an
upswing?
5. Don't know much about their owner's groups, but DeLorean owner clubs are
unbelievable as far as the friendliness and dedication to each other's general
car-welfare.
6. how can you resist an always rust-free body (and frame if you upgrade to
an SS one)?
7. Gullwing doors are way cool.
8. people with little auto background are able to do 90% of their own
maintenence and repairs with basic tools and a single manual.  doubtful on a viper or
NSX
9. insurance is very reasonable for most people.
10. free tech support and a pleasant conversation are just a single 800
number away
11. simply a cult classic car... and it's worth putting in a car show!  why
put a car that you can still walk onto a dealer's lot and buy into a show? i
never understood why some people think it's ok.
12. you can be reasonably sure that you won't see another DeLorean besides
your own very frequently because hey! they don't make them anymore!

On the other hand, if all you care about is speed and burning rubber, the NSX
has at least twice the hp while the viper has at least 3x the hp (and 4 more
pistons...).  also both are much more suitable for add-on performance
accessories, with dealership service to boot.  if you want to go drag race, you will
be extremely disappointed with the DeLorean.  it is a luxury car, not a street
burner.  the DeLorean is for the true car-lover.  in some ways, it is more
exclusive because it exercises more restaint in certain areas?

In my opinion, the NSX is a good balance between the two.  while it will
never be as infamous or endearing as the DeLorean, it is truely a beautiful car, a
silky engine, and very top quality refined interior and handling.  not a race
car like a ferrari, but a fast, low-slung japanese-quality sportscar.
besides - JZD himself owns/owned one.  in fact i might pick one up myself someday...

these are just my own opinions and you are free to take them as you will.

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:33:30 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Look at the shape of the door, now look at the shape of the window. It
isn't physically possible. Bob Brandys has done a 3-section modification
though he had to use lexan (polycarbonate) which scratches very easily,
and won't break when you want it to (eg in an accident).

Martin

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 07:57:24 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

There was no need to adjust the torsion bars for the full size windows

Since the windows were made of Lexan, they actually weight less than the
glass windows.

In addition the aluminum mechanism for the full size windows was much
smaller and also weighed less than the stock steel components.

BOB

97 Time Machine Delorean
Full Size Power Windows.

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:15:47 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Changing windows in a Delorean in MHO the best improvement that can be
made to the car.

I like to go out cruising in my old cars  during the summer.  WITH THE
WINDOWS DOWN and the wind blowing in the car.   YOU CAN WAVE to the
various admirers and talk to people at stop lights.

YOU CAN'T DO THIS is in a Delorean  and PEOPLE THINK YOU ARE STUCK UP
AND WON'T ROLL YOUR WINDOW DOWN!!!

When you explain to them that the window does not go down they are not
impressed.

I rarely drive my stock Delorean because of the problem.

However, I do have all the parts to add full size windows to my stock
Delorean and will do this probably in the next few years.  .(I had
duplicates made when I converted the Time Machine)

Bob

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:29:33 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

In order of probability I would start with the thermo-time switch.
As for warm I would say the fuel accumulator. But these are just
guesses. The only way to know is to go through the diagnostics. It
is obviously fuel related and I would suspect not just a single part
or system failure but two or more. Go to page 128 of the Technical
Information Manual.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:51:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

I agree with Samuel... the only benefits you'll get from having "full size" windows in a DeLorean is being able to get in a little more fresh air. I also have to agree with Andy... the "mail slot" windows are just one of the many features that makes the DeLorean such a unique car. I really can't say I see any benefits at all to removing them... in fact quite the opposite. It'd be a complex and surely irreversible procedure, and with debatable cosmetic results.

I guess I just don't understand why people radically modify DeLoreans. Aren't they unique enough to begin with? Why do people feel the need to further set themselves apart... you're already driving one of the most unusual cars ever made. Don't forget... the number of DeLoreans is finite... there will be no more. In fact, we're losing a few every year due to wrecks, fires, and neglect. Obviously this is your car we're talking about, and you have the right to do anything you want to with it. I just ask that you think about the cars long term future. As some guys say around here... we're not really owners... just caretakers for a time. :-)

Louie Golden
VIN 10115

Pre-order the updated second edition of  "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion" now! Details <a href="http://www.stainless-steel-illusion.com" target="_blank">here!</a>

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 03:47:41 -0000
From: "freakybeetle" <freakybeetle_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Thanks for the ideas so far!

I might help if I give you a little more background on the problem.
When I first bought the car it was running very, very rich.  The CO
had already been adjusted (plug was removed) when I drove the car
home day one.  I have since then replaced the plug with the DMC
Houston replacement.  After installing most of the parts in the PJ
Grady service kit, I adjusted the CO mixture to keep it from
smoking.  When cranking while not using starter fluid I don't smell
unburned fuel and the fumes don't run me away (anymore).  Once
started the car runs very smooth at idle.  If you slowly give it gas
the car will rev all the way to redline (well it could if I tried).
While the car has about 16 gallons an new gas in the system, I know
there is some gas left in from were it was sitting.  This old gas
might explain why when you really get on the throttle fast the car
will spit and sputter a little.  For all I know that bit of old gas
might be my starting problem.  The idle micro switch seems to be
adjusted and working properly (click, click, click).  As far as the
car having lots of power while driving, I really couldn't answer
this.  My car is an automatic and I have only rode in a few DeLoreans
that were running properly (all manual).  I have been adding fuel
system cleaner as a fuel it up, but I haven't got it out enough to
really get the new gas and cleaner worked through the system.  I
guess I will get it out this weekend and see how it does.

Thanks Again!

Jai

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 03:47:41 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: "Rustproof" DeLorean

While the pontoon is indeed rustproof (might crack however...), much
of the car is carbon steel subject to deterioration:
- All fasteners
- Frame is welded sheet steel, not cast. Crumple tube especially
vulnerable
- Brake & suspension components
- Fuel system can rust from inside out (tank itself is plastic)

Note also wiring subject to environment. Ground points especially
critical because body non-conductive. Wiring harness is small gauge to
begin with, so I'd watch airborne salt found at coasts.

DeLorean is well executed car, steeped in history, uncommon but not
rare (costs within most people's reach), and extremely popular among
general public. Is far from perfect, but I recommend ownership.