From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1670
Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 6:09 AM

From: Dan McNasby <dan_mcnasby_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

From: Phillips Jeff 1Lt 333 TRS/UMAF <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>

From: "Scott Cagle" <dmc83n99_at_dml_cox.net>

From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

From: "Barbara & AJ" <phoenix_at_dml_eticomm.net>

From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: "delor_01" <JOHN.JORDAN_at_dml_ED.GOV>

From: "Ralph Isenberg, III" <delorean1981dmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Wiring harness
From: "jchapelhow" <chapelhow_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: 10115 wreck pics uploaded
From: thesmokingman_at_dml_comcast.net

13. doors
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

14. underground deloreans?
From: "marc kelly" <cmarckelly_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

15. RE: Re: The Car that eats speedometers
From: "K. Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

16. Problems Starting My D
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: 10115 wreck pics uploaded
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:03:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dan McNasby <dan_mcnasby_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Question

I want to thank all of you who have responded to my question.  It has been a big help.  I have been looking at all of these cars as an investment (and of course all the beifits that come with it), trying to figure which would be the ideal collectible.  I would have to say that I do favor the Delorean by alot.

Thanks again!
Dan

Dan McNasby <dan_mcnasby_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

I am very interested in buying a Delorean but would like to know what are the relative merits of the DeLorean over the Following Cars:

1. 1994 Dodge Viper RT/10

2. 1995 Acura NSX

Why is the DeLorean better to own than the above cars?

Thanks for the input!

Dan

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:57:00 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Sean Corbett

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "checksix3" <jetjock11_at_dml_j...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> And it's been said before and I'll say it again: Get a life. It's
> just friggin car...and not a very good one at that.

You know, many of us here are very passionate about our cars, which is
quite obvious not only by past threads, but by the outrage many here
have outright expressed with this particular topic. But just because
you don't fully agree, or for whatever other reason you may have, that
does not make it acceptable to slam our cars.

If you're unhappy with your car for whatever reason, or if you just
don't like the people here, or elsewhere involved with the scene, then
leave. Sell your car, cut your losses, and move on. It's not the first
time that someone has got a DeLorean, and then changed their mind, and
it certainly isn't the last. There's nothing wrong with that at all,
and even I have had instances where I've purchased a vehicle, and
decided to sell it, because it really wasn't what I wanted. And if
someone choses to do the same, that's fine. But please do not try and
bring everyone else down on your way out.

While you own, when you drive, and whenever you post, we all represent
each other. These archives are NOT private, and are open to everyone
who wants to see them. For many owners (myself included), the mailing
list here has been the single best source of positive DeLorean
information on the internet. And while the restoration of a car isn't
always the easiest task, and everyone here may never agree 100% of the
time, saying that the DeLorean is "...not a very good one (car) at
that." is TOTALLY false. I myself, and many others here use their cars
as daily drivers. And if I didn't think that the DeLorean was a great
car in terms of both safety and reliability, I wouldn't have purchased
one, let alone drive it daily. Not only do I depend upon my car
getting me to, and from work, and everywhere else, I'm willing to bet
my own life on it's safety abilities by risking driving my DeLorean in
everyday, rush-hour traffic, as do others. And THAT is how great a
DeLorean automobile truly is!

Now if you don't happen to feel the same way, that's fine. And if
you've had a bad experience with the restoration/operation of your
car, I'm genuinly sorry to hear that, and I'm sure that everyone here
on the list would be more than happy help you out. Which is of course,
the reason that we're here. But by the same tolken, just because one
car/owner has a bad experience, doesn't mean that's the norm, nor
should that be projected out.

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:11:49 -0500
From: Phillips Jeff 1Lt 333 TRS/UMAF <jeff.phillips_at_dml_keesler.af.mil>
Subject: RE: 10115 wreck pics uploaded

Check with your insurance company.  With State Farm we've been able to
purchase the totaled vehicle back from them for $300 which is what the
salvage yards pay for the scrapped cars.  They may do it differently since
its considered a difficult to replace vehicle but its definitely worth the
money as there are obviously LOTS of good parts left on that car that I'm
sure many people on the list are salivating over (in a very sympathetic way
and only because you were uninjured)  Could turn the parts profit and
reimbursement into a very nice D.  I also think that I would turn that rear
fascia into a lighted wall ornament to remember the car by!  :)

Jeff

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:28:35 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)
From: "Scott Cagle" <dmc83n99_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: The Car that East Speedometers

Ok, a little more clarity on the problem.

The angle drive gears are turning.  You can see that by looking where the
cable attaches.

The lower cable for all intents and purposes is brand new.  It hasn't had a
working setup since it's been installed.  You can watch the cable turn when
you spin the front wheel.

I unscrewed the upper cable and checked it out, and it is turning the speedo
itself.

When you manually turn the lower cable, it turns the speedo itself.

Normally, I would say it's the angle drive, but this is the 4th angle drive,
including 2 grady versions that  this car has had.  Every single piece of it
has been replaced, including the Lambda counter.    My only thought I can
come up with is that lower cable itself is slipping in and out of the sheath
and not making direct contact, so when the angle drive spins, it pushes it
out.  Any thoughts on this, and if so, a way to tie it down so to speak?
The speedo cable mount is installed on this car already.  Thanks guys!!

Scott

.

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:37:04 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: RIP VIN 10115

Louise,

It is always terrible to see another D get wrecked.  However, it is
interesting to see that the passenger compartment is still intact.

Was the car side swiped or did it hit a guard rail ?

BOB

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:31:47 -0400
From: "Barbara & AJ" <phoenix_at_dml_eticomm.net>

We saw your pictures Louie, sorry about your loss. 10115 saved your life.
Glad your ok.

AJ & Barbara

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:07:57 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Hurricane protection

Plywood may or may not help.  It depends on where you are, which for the
life of me, don't think was ever mentioned.  Down here in Florida, if its
not tied down, its in the air.

plywood
http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/wea00544.htm

cars
http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/wea00547.htm

Jim

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:48:53 -0000 "David Teitelbaum"
<jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> writes:
> If I was in your position I would first try renting a garage. If that
> isn't possible then cover the car with a car cover. Now place
> styrofoam insulation panels over and around the car. Now tightly
> cover
> the panels and the car with a waterproof cover or tarp. This won't
> help if there is flooding but it will keep the car dry and protect
> it
> from flying debris. As further protection you could cover the foam
> with pieces of plywood and then put the cover on.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:44:00 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Torsion bar jig

I still can't find the plans to make a torsion bar jig, an no one seems to want to point me in the right direction...Please help

Cheers

www.dmc12.tk  Stop by and sign my guest book

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:48:42 -0000
From: "delor_01" <JOHN.JORDAN_at_dml_ED.GOV>
Subject: CRUISE IN UPDATE:

WE ARE RAPIDLY APPROACHING THE BIG DAY:

WHAT WOULD AN EVENT BE WITHOUT CHANGES / CORRECTIONS?

THE WEBSITE WWW.SPECIALTAUTO.COM\sedoc HAS BEEN CORRECTED TO CHANGE
THE DIRECTIONS CONCERNING THE STREET E. BUTLER PARKWAY WITH THE
CORRECT NAME= JESSE JEWEL PKWY.

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION.  REGISTRATION IS CONSIDERABLY BETTER THAN
EXPECTED AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING MANY OF OUR OLD AND SOON TO
BE NEW FRIENDS.

FOR THOSE NOT AS YET REGISTERED, THERE IS STILL TIME.  SEE Y'ALL
(thats southern) SATURDAY THE 20th.

John Jordan, SEDOC, 404 562 6075

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:28:12 -0400
From: "Ralph Isenberg, III" <delorean1981dmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: How long is too long?

This is by no means meant as a flame, but I'm curious. My 81 had it's
automatic tranny quit, so I had it shipped to PJ Grady's, and even paid them
a large amount up front for replacement plus a few other odds and ends. Rob
told me there were about 40 cars ahead of me so it would be a while. This is
understandable, but it has now been over two years since the car was sent. A
few times when I've called they said he would look at my car within a few
weeks. Last time I checked was June, and the lady said Rob would get back to
me in July. Now it's September and still no word.
I've read nothing but good on this group about Grady, so I am perplexed.
Should it take over two years for a car to be looked at? What experience
have other listers had servicing their cars?
  If worse comes to worst, I'd ask him to send the money back and take the
car to another facility, but would it just be another waiting game?
  Again, this is not meant to flame Rob or anyone. Just want to know other
people's experience and how long they have to wait?

Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:30:45 -0000
From: "jchapelhow" <chapelhow_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wiring harness

All.

Thank you all for your calming words, and things to try. Replacing
the harness is now on hold since I have been convinced this may be
overkill!

My current list of woes runs like this....
* LHS door lights don't work unless the key is fully in the ignition

** Ignition P1
Temp gauge records electrical system use as a running total. Put
indicators on and the gauge 'bumps' upto to max. Use the lights and
the higher the beam the faster the gauge moves. Eventually reaching
the 'P' of 'temp'. Gauge does not zero by itself, but is 'reset' by
turning to P2

**Ignition P2
Pre-start the oil pressure gauge oscillates ~30degrees when
indicators/hazard lights are in use.

**Once started the temp gauge still moves through ~30degrees with
electrical load. Switching on main beam/air con shows a false sudden
engine overheat condition. The gauge then drops slowly to 'normal'
when the function is turned off.

In all modes, the red warning lamps (handbrake etc) on binnacle
and 'lock door' on centre console dim/flash with indicator use.
No more than one function can be used at a time without knocking out
the indicators. i.e. with fans/lights I get no indicators.
Lights appear dimmed in all modes.

Fuel gauge reads low except when in P2 pre-start.

So far I have replaced the battery, fuses and installed a full relay
replacement kit. The voltages measured at jump posts are within the
manuals recommended figures. Continuity between the front ground
point behind LHS wheel *appears* good (I'll recheck). Running an
additional ground cable from that point to the enigne ground point
doesn't make a difference.

I was particularly interested in the post that suggested a screw may
have gone through a cable, it's something else to consider!

I will be removing the binnacle on Thursday/Friday, in the meantime
any and all further suggestions are gratefully received.

The LED pictures have helped, I should have looked there first, doh!

John Chpaelhow
MMG 287W : 'Boeing' #0737

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:56:48 +0000
From: thesmokingman_at_dml_comcast.net

Louie, very glad that you were not seriously hurt. Ive always been a believer
in the DeLoreans safety. Especially in regard to side-impact crashes. If I were
to get broad-sided, there would be no vehicle Id rather be in than my DeLorean.
I hope you are able to keep living the dream, even after such a substantial
setback. Take Care -Jeremy D.

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:21:19 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: doors

Will there be someone adjusting DeLorean doors in Pigeon Forge? How do I contact them now? What would the cost be for both doors? New struts were installed -- they are  still "lazy".

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:09:08 -0000
From: "marc kelly" <cmarckelly_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: underground deloreans?

i've been   reading  stories on   the     internet of deloreans been
burried underground  is  this true?

marc

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:19:33 -0500
From: "K. Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: The Car that eats speedometers

>> Make sure the plastic drive disc is FIRMLY captured between the rim
>> and the hub.
>Also you may want to check if the Lambda counter gears are binding.  if
they

The reminds me of a momentary problem I had after resetting the counter. I
didn't get the cable into it's hole right. It bent around and the sleeve was
still able to screw down. Check and make sure you've got the actual cable in
the right hole.

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:58:31 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Problems Starting My D

Hey all,
     I have a strange question for you.   Yesterday I took my D out and left
it in a parking lot for about 30 minutes.   I came back out and tried to start
the car and nothing happened.   The engine didn't even try to turn over.
The only way my dad and I figured out to start was for me to push while he
popped the clutch and roared the engine to life.   After we got home, everything
worked fine.   We turned it off, and it started with a turn of the key as
always.   I thought the problem was over----WRONG.   I went out to the garage this
afternoon and tried to start the D again, nothing happpened.   The radio
worked, the horn, the headlights, etc but the car wouldn't even try to turn over.
I put it in neutral pushed it out about 10 feet and figured I would give it
another try--it started fine.   I left it and came back a while later and the
same problem--it didn't try to turn over.   I pushed it about 5 feet forward,
put on the parking brake, got back in and the engine turned over fine.   Whats
the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:01:10 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

If there is any way you could rape the car of it's torsion bars (carefully)
before surrendering it to the insurance company, do it  Unless you are
keeping it and parting it out. I think Kayo Ong needs one. Check list

Joseph Molino ( vin 2850)