From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1703
Date: Thursday, October 09, 2003 6:04 PM

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1. Fw: tricky -tranny
From: george caprita

2. Re: Victimized Monster Garage Delo
From: "hodakaguy" <hodakaguy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Victimized Monster Garage Delo
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

4. Re: recharge A/C
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Victimized Monster Garage Delo
From: DBoboc9556_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: LED's for A/C panels lights
From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_attbi.com>

7. RE: Victimized Monster Garage Delo
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jack_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>

8. Speedometer spazed out, now it doesn't register anything
From: "steve" <steve_at_dml_redsquall.net>

9. Re: Shocks
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

10. FINAL - Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Foliage Tour IV Itinerary
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

11. Re: Shocks
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Speedometer spazed out, now it doesn't register anything
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

13. Re: Fw: tricky -tranny
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Speedometer spazed out, now it doesn't register anything
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. Restoration Question
From: "deloreanryder" <deloreanryder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. a little more idle work needed
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

17. aftermarket rims/offset sizes/measurements
From: "kkurth092675" <kkurth2675_at_dml_comcast.net>

18. Re: Restoration Question
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

19. Re: FINAL - Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Foliage Tour IV Itinerary
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

20. High Mileage
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

21. Re: a little more idle work needed
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

22. Kathryn DeLorean looking for a car
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Fw: tricky -tranny
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

24. Re: Upcoming DeLorean sighting - Mythbusters
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

25. SLOWING DELOREAN
From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>





Message: 1
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:37:57 -0500
From: george caprita
Subject: Fw: tricky -tranny

list, about 8 yrs ago i fried my comp. gov. jump starting my car. it would shift to drive some times if i turned a.c. off and on real quick.so i wired a switch to fuse to shut power to trans.on and off,would go from 1st to 2nd flip switch to drive.flip back to 1st.this worked well enuf for passed 7yrs.only drove it 50--100 miles a year.[ i was already told....stupid thing to do!] don't know if it had enything to do with this,...but,last year,taking it to store,transmisson started slipping,then quit,no gears in 1-2-or drive.just rev.and creep....reved it hard blew fluid out of fill tube.[had stoped at parts store and put more in,thought it was low] had it towed home[flat bed] this spring was told to drain and remove pan fluid looked clean [have to keep adding it,bad leak] pan was free of junk except for a little gray gunk on bottom,clutch ware? filter was clean.replaced pan,fluid,started it put in low,it moved!! in rev.backed to street put in D hit gas 1-2-switch in D it! ran great!! for 5 miles...started slipping,stoped.no gears.tured ign.off,restart,ran 2 miles sliped,restart,1mile.any one know?is it elect.mach.hydro.junk tranny?? help!!,thank,you,george





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 2
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:09:32 -0000
From: "hodakaguy" <hodakaguy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Victimized Monster Garage Delo


I saw the car in person before it was destroyed.  It wasn't perfect 
but it wasn't a total wreck either.  It could have easily been 
restored with some time and TLC.  I also hated to see it chopped up 
but when you own a vehicle you can pretty much do what you want with 
it.  Hodaka Guy

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_l...> wrote:
> Before you go jumping the gun. Do you even KNOW anything about the 
car 
> used? For all you know it could be a car with a salvage or totaled 
> title, could have been fire damaged or severe fiberglass damage. In 
> which case, the cost to restore such a car would be extremely high, 
> assuming you can even get a good title on it.
> 
> Samuel
> 
> Tomcio wrote:
> 
> >Hello everyone!
> >I'm saying hello after being off the list for over a year!
> >
> >Well, to the point:
> >
> >I just saw the part about the monster garage and I thought... How 
> >about sending some REAL hate mail to the discovery channel and the 
> >makers of the program itself? I even thought about a lawsuit. I 
mean, 
> >I don't mind when they destroy some piece of sh** that is going to 
a 
> >junkyard anyway, but destroying a classic car is too much. It 
doesn't 
> >matter if it's a DeLorean or any other classic car. What makes me 
> >furious is that I love DeLoreans. 
> >I'm thinking... maybe a lawsuit should be in order? If anyone want 
to 
> >do it I will sign up for sure.
> >
> >Take care everyone
> >Tom Niemczewski
> >vin 6149 (5-speed, yeah!)
> >
> >
> >--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_8...> wrote:
> >  
> >
> >>A lot of us are aware of Rich's hover-d.. but who else wants to 
see 
> >>    
> >>
> >a
> >  
> >
> >>drag race between the two?
> >>
> >>    
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >To address comments privately to the moderating team, please 
address:
> >moderators_at_dml_d...
> >
> >For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see 
www.dmcnews.com
> >
> >To search the archives or view files, log in at 
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
> >
> >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to 
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 3
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:40:25 -0400
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Victimized Monster Garage Delo



Lawsuit? On what grounds?  Please, let's be serious here for a second, and I'm not even a lawyer.   They didn't do anything illegal - they acquired a car and made some modifications, even if that including destroying it.  I don't think you can claim "pain and suffering" either.  You'd get laughed out of court so fast it wouldn't even be funny.   And what good would it do anyway? The car is already gone... you're not going to get it back.  And sending hate mail isn't going to do much either.

-Hank #1619

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Tomcio" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: [DML] Victimized Monster Garage Delo


> Hello everyone!
> I'm saying hello after being off the list for over a year!
> 
> Well, to the point:
> 
> I just saw the part about the monster garage and I thought... How 
> about sending some REAL hate mail to the discovery channel and the 
> makers of the program itself? I even thought about a lawsuit. I mean, 
> I don't mind when they destroy some piece of sh** that is going to a 
> junkyard anyway, but destroying a classic car is too much. It doesn't 
> matter if it's a DeLorean or any other classic car. What makes me 
> furious is that I love DeLoreans. 
> I'm thinking... maybe a lawsuit should be in order? If anyone want to 
> do it I will sign up for sure.
> 
> Take care everyone
> Tom Niemczewski
> vin 6149 (5-speed, yeah!)




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 4
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: recharge A/C

You are required to recharge your AC to register the
car??

There is nothing too special about the DMC AC system,
but if you want a DMC expert in CA, DeLorean Motor
Ceneter is in Garden Grove CA.

--- "Spinler-Waid, Iris"
<iris.spinler-waid_at_dml_honeywell.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> I'm a brand new Delorean owner (2 days) and I have
> to recharge the A/C to
> add the environmentally friendly stuff in it.
> 
> I'm in CA and I don't really want to go to Delorean
> one.  Does anyone know
> of a place that will do that so I can get the car
> registered here?
> 
> Thanks much,
> iris
> VIN#:  ???? (I haven't memorized it yet)
>

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search
http://shopping.yahoo.com



________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 5
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 02:48:11 EDT
From: DBoboc9556_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Victimized Monster Garage Delo

Tom,

A lawsuit?  Over a car?!  I think your priorities are a little screwed up. 

Come on, say it with me:  IT'S..JUST..A...CAR... 

Dave Boboc


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 6
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 03:50:29 -0000
From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: Re: LED's for A/C panels lights

Hi List
  I have been very happy with the 194's and the 1156's LEDs from 
Jamstrait.
I did my Dash illumination in red. I tried it with white and it 
seemed to be 
brighter than the stock bulbs. I didn't see a directional problem. I 
can see 
every gauge clearly. I'm using the 4 LED bulb 194 for the dash.
Here's a link to my page with pics but it's not quite finished yet. 
Much more 
pics to add.
http://home.comcast.net/~mquinto/led.html

Regards,
Mike





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 7
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 07:40:45 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jack_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>
Subject: RE: Victimized Monster Garage Delo


(moderator's note: The queue is full of similar posts but really, the show hasn't even been aired yet so all the response is based on speculation. I'd expect several posts after the show's airing so until then I'm not going to post anymore of these.)


Come on now.  It has been a year and that's all you came up with?  I think
it is great for our cars to have so many TV spots.  How about the El Camino
they bought and chopped up on MG?  That was a cherry car and they just
destroyed it.  Do you want to sue Universal Studios for destroying several
cars for BTTF?  How about Rich for the D-Rex, Hover Car, Convertible?  Maybe
we can start a class action suit against them and throw in the double engine
"D"  and all painted "D's" just for good measure.  That way no one would
ever modify another DeLorean again.  What grounds would you like to sue for?

_______________________________
Jack Stiefel - Radio Cape Vincent
Live Internet Radio at http://www.radiocapevincent.com
Take a trip to the historic http://www.sacketmansion.com
Proud member of the http://www.audiorealm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Tomcio [mailto:tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 7:59 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DML] Victimized Monster Garage Delo

Hello everyone!
I'm saying hello after being off the list for over a year!

Well, to the point:

I just saw the part about the monster garage and I thought... How
about sending some REAL hate mail to the discovery channel and the
makers of the program itself? I even thought about a lawsuit. I mean,
I don't mind when they destroy some piece of sh** that is going to a
junkyard anyway, but destroying a classic car is too much. It doesn't
matter if it's a DeLorean or any other classic car. What makes me
furious is that I love DeLoreans.
I'm thinking... maybe a lawsuit should be in order? If anyone want to
do it I will sign up for sure.

Take care everyone
Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (5-speed, yeah!)


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_8...> wrote:
> A lot of us are aware of Rich's hover-d.. but who else wants to see
a
> drag race between the two?
>




To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/





________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 8
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:07:54 -0000
From: "steve" <steve_at_dml_redsquall.net>
Subject: Speedometer spazed out, now it doesn't register anything

is there a place corrosion could be cuasing this?




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 9
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:05:56 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Shocks

Grady's shocks are light grey and have a valve at the base, the original 
shocks are very dark, almost black in appearance and have no valve. 
Shorter springs on OEM shocks will not affect the ride because of the 
shocks, though shorter springs should be made stiffer because you do not 
have the same amount of travel - however I do not know anything about 
Grady's springs. I have a set of his shocks.

Martin

steve trimble wrote:

>I had the Delo at the shop today for a front end
>alignment. While it was on the rack I was checking the
>shocks. The ride is stiff and they feel & look good
>but, I was wondering if the travel of the shock is
>overly affected by the installion of the lowering kit
>from Grady. I know the kit was installed but I do not
>think the accompaning shocks were used. I read all the
>past post on the subject but I still think lowering
>the car has comprised the ride. Any experienced
>thoughts??
>Steve T
>3121
>  
>






________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 10
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:22:40 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: FINAL - Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Foliage Tour IV Itinerary

FINAL NOTICE!  If you have not signed up yet to attend dinner, please do
so ASAP!  Deadline is Oct 13th!!!

-----Original Message-----

Please note:
- If you are planning on attending, you must reserve your room NOW!
- If you plan on attending DINNER, you MUST give us a headcount no later
then Oct. 13th!  DO NOT ASSUME WE KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO ATTEND!  e-mail
your headcount to falltour(at)deloreanmidatlantic.com ASAP!
 
The following details can also be found on the club website:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/falltour4.htm
 

4th Annual DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour Itinerary

 October 18th and 19th  

E-mail your questions and dinner head count to
falltour(at)deloreanmidatlantic.com
<mailto:falltour_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com?subject=Fall Tour Question> 

Saturday Oct. 18th 
1:00-1:30.

Meeting Point #1:  Members are invited to start a formal caravan off of
Exit 63 on the NJ Parkway at 1:30pm.  We will be meeting in the
McDonalds/K-Mart Parking lot off of Rt. 72 East (Just off the parkway).
Gary Gore will be coordinating this part of the tour.  There will be
bathroom, gas, and lunch options available at this meeting place, and we
will get underway promptly at 1:30.  Anyone who wishes to arrive earlier
then 1:00pm and have lunch, feel free to contact Gary Gore.
<mailto:Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com?subject=DMC Fall Tour Lunch Meet/Caravan Meeting
spot> Dmc3360(at)aol.com  Remember to bring your two way radios!  And
please make sure you have gas in your car before we start the tour!

1:30-2:30

Gary will be leading us on a scenic tour of southern NJ which promises
to have some great foliage to view during the drive.  We will be
stopping at  <http://www.batstovillage.org/> Batsto Village in
Hammonton, NJ for QUICK photo shoot.  We will then get underway to our
2nd meeting point of the day.



3:00-3:30

Meeting Point #2:  Members who missed the first meeting point, and the
trip to Batsto Village are invited to meet us at the Garden State
Parkway Exit 42 Rest Area (Rest area is between the north and southbound
lanes of the parkway).  Here will be another chance to use bathroom
facilities and get gas.   We will be leaving at 3:30 sharp!

4:30-7:30

Arrive in Wildwood, NJ and check into the hotel.  We will be staying at
the Ivanhoe Motel (on Saturday night)
<file:///C:/DOCUME~1/phoenix3/LOCALS~1/Temp/FrontPageTempDir/www.ivanhoe
motel.com> www.ivanhoemotel.com we have a Delorean rate of $75 (+
applicable taxes) Please make your reservations ASAP.  609-522-5874

We will take some time to unwind and arrive at the hotel.  For those of
you who are explorers, There are several nearby shops and things to do
in the local area before dinner.

 <http://www.wildwoods.com/> 

7:30-8:00

Dinner at the Ravioli House in Wildwood Crest!
Dinner will be a SET PRICE of $36 per person (This price includes
gratuity and Non-Alcoholic drinks).  Dinner will be served family style
and will include soup, appetizers, salad, pasta, several entrees, and
desserts.  The Ravioli House is a great place to eat, and they even make
all their pasta fresh on site!  Desserts are to kill for, and the food
is always great.  Click the picture below for more information.

HEADCOUNT IS A MUST FOR DINNER!  PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU PLAN TO
ATTEND AND THE A TOTAL HEAD COUNT!  RESERVATIONS MUST BE IN NO LATER
THEN OCT. 13th!
E-Mail your dinner party head count to
<mailto:falltour_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com?subject=Fall Tour Dinner Head
Count> falltour(At)deloreanmidatlantic.com

 
<http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/directories/scAds/RavioliHouse/Ravio
liHouse.html> 

Sunday Oct. 19th 

11:00
Hotel Checkout

11:30-1:30

Mike Deluca is trying to set up an opportunity for us to take our cars
ONTO the Wildwood Boardwalk for a show and tell session.  Mike is
currently working with the "powers that be" to obtain permission.

1:30-3:00

Members who are interested can either take a short road tour to nearby
Cape May, NJ to see the historic houses and lighthouse.
OR....
Several members have decided to take a trip to near by Atlantic City and
place a few bets before heading home.  Anyone is welcome to join in!

 Don't forget your FM two way radios we will be on channel 12!
(please bring an extra radio if you have them).



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 11
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:29:27 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Shocks

The shocks could be the problem but if your tires are over 10 years
old you will notice an enormous difference if you replaced them. First
check the air pressure though. If it is very high or very low that
will make ride quality miserable. The biggest problem with lowering
the car is the reduced travel in the suspension so it will bottom out
sooner and catch on lower things in the road. It may also create the
need for the adjustable links in the rear so you can properly set
camber on the rear wheels.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> I had the Delo at the shop today for a front end
> alignment. While it was on the rack I was checking the
> shocks. The ride is stiff and they feel & look good
> but, I was wondering if the travel of the shock is
> overly affected by the installion of the lowering kit
> from Grady. I know the kit was installed but I do not
> think the accompaning shocks were used. I read all the
> past post on the subject but I still think lowering
> the car has comprised the ride. Any experienced
> thoughts??
> Steve T
> 3121
> 
> __________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search
> http://shopping.yahoo.com




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 12
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:29:36 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer spazed out, now it doesn't register anything

Is quite long thread starting with Message #33497 that covered several
owners' experiences. Search archives using "speedo" and "speedometer"
("angle" produces too many hits from "angle torquing". Can imagine
what "drive" will produce!).

Three possibilities to check:
1) loss of wheel disc/spindle cable
2) loss of right angle gears themselves
3) loss of upper/lower cable
Mine was number 1.

Start at the wheel and autopsy your way towards gauge.

BTW: if gears themselves OK, the system is repairable. My spindle
cable repair survived SEDOC at 75-80 mph.

Note gear housing is not weathertight. I recommend lubricating with
grease rather than oil.

Bill Robertson
#5939

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "steve" <steve_at_dml_r...> wrote:
> is there a place corrosion could be cuasing this?




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 13
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:43:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: tricky -tranny

If the transmission slips in all likelyhood you have worn out the
friction plates. There are still some things to check. Is the fluid
nice and red or is it lumpy, black and burnt smelling? Is it the
correct level? Check it as per the procedure in the Workshop Manual.
You could also check the line pressure from the fluid pump. You may
only have a worn pump or a plugged up filter. DO NOT drive the car
with a slipping transmission, you are just wearing the friction
materiel off the plates and it doesn't take long to destroy them! As
for the shift computer if it doesn't shift correctly get it fixed
because it can cause damage to the internals of the transmission by
overspeeding it in the wrong gear or hard shifts causing a clutch pack
(C-1) to break. You cannot tell if the filter is clean without cutting
it open. Refer to dmcnews.com technical section for procedure. You
MUST fix leaks. If the level gets low the pump will suck air. This
causes foam and low pressure which will damage parts from lack of
cooling and lubrication but the worst part is the clutch packs will
slip, NOT A GOOD THING!!!!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, george caprita wrote:
> list, about 8 yrs ago i fried my comp. gov. jump starting my car. it
would shift to drive some times if i turned a.c. off and on real
quick.so i wired a switch to fuse to shut power to trans.on and
off,would go from 1st to 2nd flip switch to drive.flip back to
1st.this worked well enuf for passed 7yrs.only drove it 50--100 miles
a year.[ i was already told....stupid thing to do!] don't know if it
had enything to do with this,...but,last year,taking it to
store,transmisson started 




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 14
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:50:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer spazed out, now it doesn't register anything

The speedometer is a completly mechanical device. Start by raising the
front left wheel. Disconnect the speedo cable at the angle drive. Now
turn the wheel and watch if the inside of the angle drive turns. If it
does the problem is probably the cable from the angle drive to the
Lambda counter. If it doesn't then it is either the angle drive or the
plastic drive disc that is captured between the rim and the spindle.
Remove the tire and inspect. Pay particular attention to the hole in
the center of the plastic drive cap. It must be square to turn the
square cable. If it is round it won't do that. The cap could also be
loose between the rim and spindle. You can wrap it with electrical
tape to see if that fixes it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 


--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "steve" <steve_at_dml_r...> wrote:
> is there a place corrosion could be cuasing this?




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 15
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:44:49 -0000
From: "deloreanryder" <deloreanryder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Restoration Question

What is the most efficient restoration service. DMC Houston? P.J. 
Grady? I'm aware of DeLorean One, but they're on the West Coast. Is 
there anyone else that I'm leaving out? Thanks.




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 16
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:53:03 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: a little more idle work needed

List,

As you have read the last couple of weeks, i have come a long ways towards 
making my car's motor and idle tuned properly.  Well, it is damn near perfect in 
the garage when it is started up cold and allowed to warm up by itself.  then 
it runs more or less flawless.

today was the first day i actually drove the car since then (been putting my 
interior back together) and i have noticed a problem or two.

1. sometimes at idle, it never seems to really want to settle down smooth.  
sometimes it sounds squirrely, other times it is ok.  now like oscillating up 
and down such as when cold, it is on a much lesser scale, but my RPMs and oil 
pressure still fluctuate and you can hear it running a little rough.

2. with the A/C on, it is always squirrely sounding.

now when i got home in the driveway, it was sounding kinda rough.  
here are the things i know:
1. all ignition parts are new and properly installed
2. all fuel pressures are ok
3. idle speed switch is being tripped and idle stop screws for the throttle 
are adjusted properly for idle speed take-over. also checked the idle speed 
switch and it does work properly. how do i check the idle motor for proper 
reception of information?
4. timing is good and advance works properly
5. all vacuum hoses are set up properly and are either new or verified 
leak-free
6. new air filter, fuel filter, lambda sensor
7. rest of fuel system was checked by grady and verified ok
8. when i push down and hold the full throttle switch, the engine runs worse, 
which i suppose means it is working. 

when it is running kind of rough, i can hear the frequency valve buzz 
changing from faster to slower, depending on the engine oscillating. is this normal?  
i can't tell which happsn first - the engine slowing down or the FV slowing 
down. sometimes it sounds like the car is running 100% smooth, other times it 
seems like it doesn't want to settle down.  

a couple theories i have are this:
1. the car had been set up poorly in the past with ignition advance present 
at idle, bad timing, and throttle plates not closing properly.  i was unaware 
of these problems and i had the CO professionally adjusted with an exhaust 
analyzer at a Ferrari restoration shop.  the mechanic was under the impression i 
gave that everything was ok except the CO (which had been messed around with 
prior).  since then, i found the above problems and had them corrected.  i 
suppose my CO is off now - would that cause these problems?  is it recommended i 
find a dwell meter and check this out? i don't have one so i am not sure if it 
ok or not. timing was off about 6 degrees when the CO was set. i remember the 
mechanic saying he couldn't adjust the CO perfectly but it was as good as it 
will get (under those circumstances).

2. the lambda sensor was replaced about 2 years ago and the car was running 
rich for a while after that.  could it be fouled up and not giving proper 
signals?  i don't want to touch it unless that is possible and should be replaced 
to be safe.

i also don't know if i am having any vacuum problems forward of the engine. 
how do i rule that out?

any ideas are greatly welcomed.  i am running out of them!

Andy


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 17
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:53:38 -0000
From: "kkurth092675" <kkurth2675_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: aftermarket rims/offset sizes/measurements

Everyone, does anyone know what the offset sizes or any other wheel 
measurements I need to know for the front and rear wheels so that I 
can put aftermarket rims on.  In addition, does anyone have any 
aftermarket rims on your cars that look really sharp, whether 
chrome/polished/etc., if you do, what is the manufacturer and name 
of the rim, where did you buy them?  Anyone, please e-mail me this 
information back to me asap, thanks a million.

Kris Kurth
kkurth2675_at_dml_comcast.net
651-253-9226




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 18
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:14:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: Restoration Question

It depends on what you mean by efficient. I think DMC Houston has more
workers, but they probably also have more work. Houston has every part you
could ever need right there on the shelf, so the work might go faster, but
Grady has a lot of the common pieces on the shelf at his place.

Rob Grady and Houston both do A+ work. Your decision will most likely come
down to whoever's closest. That's how I'd choose between the two. Give
them both a call and explain what work you want done and decide then.

-Christian

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, deloreanryder wrote:

> What is the most efficient restoration service. DMC Houston? P.J.
> Grady? I'm aware of DeLorean One, but they're on the West Coast. Is
> there anyone else that I'm leaving out? Thanks.
>
>
>
> To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>
> For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com
>
> To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 19
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:46:04 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: FINAL - Mid-Atlantic Club Fall Foliage Tour IV Itinerary

I should be 
its me and chris


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 20
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:56:36 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: High Mileage

I would like to hear some opinons about high mileage Deloreans.  I'm 
considering purchasing one that has over 120K.  My main concern is 
the mechanical part of the vehicle.  I can refurb an interior later.  
I know that a lot of you will say "It depends on how well the car was 
cared for", and that's fine.  However, I still would like to hear 
from anyone who has owned/worked around one and has some experiences 
(good or bad) they would like to share.

Johnny




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 21
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:27:21 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: a little more idle work needed

Since you're having trouble with A/C engaged check line to HVAC mode
switch, switch itself, ductwork diaphragms, and the little line back
to heater core shutoff valve.

I was leaking at rubber harness into switch and the hard plastic line
back to heater core shutoff valve (actually broken in a couple of
places). Couldn't hear leak with car running but definitely was there:
barbequed all 3 spark plugs on driver's side of block to/from SEDOC.
Passenger plugs were OK (a little white but not melted) -- that's what
led me to systems attached to passenger rail takeoff. Since my HVAC
mode switch is tight I simply transferred ductwork hoses directly to
switch nipples. Replaced hard plastic lines to/from switch with rubber.

Ran compression check to ensure valves not damaged by high combustion
temps. Basically 170 psi whole way around, with highest reading on
cylinder #4, so think I got away lucky this time...

Bill Robertson
#5939

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:
> List,
> 
> As you have read the last couple of weeks, i have come a long ways
towards 
> making my car's motor and idle tuned properly.  Well, it is damn
near perfect in 
> the garage when it is started up cold and allowed to warm up by
itself.  then 
> it runs more or less flawless.
> 
> today was the first day i actually drove the car since then (been
putting my 
> interior back together) and i have noticed a problem or two.
> 
> 1. sometimes at idle, it never seems to really want to settle down
smooth.  
> sometimes it sounds squirrely, other times it is ok.  now like
oscillating up 
> and down such as when cold, it is on a much lesser scale, but my
RPMs and oil 
> pressure still fluctuate and you can hear it running a little rough.
> 
> 2. with the A/C on, it is always squirrely sounding.
> 
> now when i got home in the driveway, it was sounding kinda rough.  
> here are the things i know:
> 1. all ignition parts are new and properly installed
> 2. all fuel pressures are ok
> 3. idle speed switch is being tripped and idle stop screws for the
throttle 
> are adjusted properly for idle speed take-over. also checked the
idle speed 
> switch and it does work properly. how do i check the idle motor for
proper 
> reception of information?
> 4. timing is good and advance works properly
> 5. all vacuum hoses are set up properly and are either new or verified 
> leak-free
> 6. new air filter, fuel filter, lambda sensor
> 7. rest of fuel system was checked by grady and verified ok
> 8. when i push down and hold the full throttle switch, the engine
runs worse, 
> which i suppose means it is working. 
> 
> when it is running kind of rough, i can hear the frequency valve buzz 
> changing from faster to slower, depending on the engine oscillating.
is this normal?  
> i can't tell which happsn first - the engine slowing down or the FV
slowing 
> down. sometimes it sounds like the car is running 100% smooth, other
times it 
> seems like it doesn't want to settle down.  
> 
> a couple theories i have are this:
> 1. the car had been set up poorly in the past with ignition advance
present 
> at idle, bad timing, and throttle plates not closing properly.  i
was unaware 
> of these problems and i had the CO professionally adjusted with an
exhaust 
> analyzer at a Ferrari restoration shop.  the mechanic was under the
impression i 
> gave that everything was ok except the CO (which had been messed
around with 
> prior).  since then, i found the above problems and had them
corrected.  i 
> suppose my CO is off now - would that cause these problems?  is it
recommended i 
> find a dwell meter and check this out? i don't have one so i am not
sure if it 
> ok or not. timing was off about 6 degrees when the CO was set. i
remember the 
> mechanic saying he couldn't adjust the CO perfectly but it was as
good as it 
> will get (under those circumstances).
> 
> 2. the lambda sensor was replaced about 2 years ago and the car was
running 
> rich for a while after that.  could it be fouled up and not giving
proper 
> signals?  i don't want to touch it unless that is possible and
should be replaced 
> to be safe.
> 
> i also don't know if i am having any vacuum problems forward of the
engine. 
> how do i rule that out?
> 
> any ideas are greatly welcomed.  i am running out of them!
> 
> Andy
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 22
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:34:21 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Kathryn DeLorean looking for a car

Hi
Kathryn DeLorean asked me to post and see if anyone lives near Henrietta NC 
she is looking at a car (Pontiac Firebird) and was wondering if someone could 
go and look at it for her.
If you live near Henrietta NC could you please contact me privately 
thanks

Ken


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 23
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:38:34 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: tricky -tranny

Clutch discs in automatic transmission totally different than friction
plate in manual. Are not supposed to touch anything. Transmission
fluid itself forms coupling. That's why it's so important to keep
clean, unburned (like brake fluid, once you overheat it loses
hydraulic properties), not foamy (don't overfill), etc. If you lose
hydraulic coupling, discs will wear out very quickly. Don't know about
DeLo tranny, but nearly all of its contemporaries can drop pan and
look for collecting disc debris. If it's there, get ready to rebuild.

Bill Robertson
#5939

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_w...> wrote:
> If the transmission slips in all likelyhood you have worn out the
> friction plates. There are still some things to check. Is the fluid
> nice and red or is it lumpy, black and burnt smelling? Is it the
> correct level? Check it as per the procedure in the Workshop Manual.
> You could also check the line pressure from the fluid pump. You may
> only have a worn pump or a plugged up filter. DO NOT drive the car
> with a slipping transmission, you are just wearing the friction
> materiel off the plates and it doesn't take long to destroy them! As
> for the shift computer if it doesn't shift correctly get it fixed
> because it can cause damage to the internals of the transmission by
> overspeeding it in the wrong gear or hard shifts causing a clutch pack
> (C-1) to break. You cannot tell if the filter is clean without cutting
> it open. Refer to dmcnews.com technical section for procedure. You
> MUST fix leaks. If the level gets low the pump will suck air. This
> causes foam and low pressure which will damage parts from lack of
> cooling and lubrication but the worst part is the clutch packs will
> slip, NOT A GOOD THING!!!!
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
> 
> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, george caprita wrote:
> > list, about 8 yrs ago i fried my comp. gov. jump starting my car. it
> would shift to drive some times if i turned a.c. off and on real
> quick.so i wired a switch to fuse to shut power to trans.on and
> off,would go from 1st to 2nd flip switch to drive.flip back to
> 1st.this worked well enuf for passed 7yrs.only drove it 50--100 miles
> a year.[ i was already told....stupid thing to do!] don't know if it
> had enything to do with this,...but,last year,taking it to
> store,transmisson started




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 24
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:51:55 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: Re: Upcoming DeLorean sighting - Mythbusters

 it looked more like the back end of a '80s silver corvette. I am 
still unsure. 
>No need to be unsure. After freeze framing it with pvr it is 
definetly a corvette.
Stephen




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________


Message: 25
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:06:56 +1000
From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>
Subject: SLOWING DELOREAN

A few months ago I highlighted my concern regarding my DeLorean, which, 
while on a 1000k trip from Sydney to Brisbane, began to lose power, 
reminiscent of running on about three cylinders.  After stopping for 15 
minutes or so and allowing the car to cool, it ran perfectly for the next 
20ks or there abouts.  Not much consolation considering I had another 300ks 
left to travel and nightfall was already well established.

Getting the car fixed was not a priority as I had to return to Sydney, 
however I discovered a Volvo dealership on the Sunshine Coast (north of 
Brisbane) who are very familiar with the 2.8 litre engine and their service 
is moderately priced.  The company is called Volvo One Stop at 20 Stark 
Lane, FOREST GLEN, QLD, 4556, Work: 07 5442 1011, Mobile: 0428 710 578, 
Fax: 07 5442 1011, volvoonestop_at_dml_optusnet.com.au.

Again, getting the car fixed was not a priority so I let Volvo have the car 
for a couple of weeks.  The problem turned out to be the fuel distributor 
which was replaced and now the car runs and performs as it should.  My 'D' 
has low mileage and doesn't get driven as much as it should.  This is 
probably a contributing factor for the fuel distributor to break down as it 
was full of scale and other crud.  Good reason for continued use of a fuel 
inhibitor, perhaps.

Lance Haslewood
Australia.    

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________



Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/