From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1709
Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 4:49 PM

1. RE: Re: Delorean Hovercraft project coming up on Monster Garage
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jack_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>

2. Monster Garage Thought
From: "Aaron Crocco" <Slider_ten_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Discovery Channel Hover Craft
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

4. Monster Garage DeLorean Hovercraft Opinion
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

5. Monster Garage
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. RE: New Member
From: "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

7. Re: New Member
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

8. Re: Struts...which way are they "supposed" to go?
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

9. Re: Struts...which way are they "supposed" to go?
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

10. New member. Overheating problems
From: Glenn <green95gst_at_dml_earthlink.net>

11. Re: Replacing the Fuel Accumulator
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

12. Re: Replacing the Fuel Accumulator
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Replacing the Fuel Accumulator
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. improper lambda readings
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. RE: Re: The Golden DeLorean
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>

16. Fourth Gold DeLorean
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

17. Re: Monster Garage Thoughts & more
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

18. RE: Re: Delorean Hovercraft project coming up on Monster Garage
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

19. VIN 20105
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

20. Is eBay member "dalorean" on the list???
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: improper lambda readings
From: "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>

22. DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour IV
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Stainless Memory
From: Sean Mulligan <sean_mulligan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. capacitors
From: "ablemanse" <s.ableman_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

25. Hoods with Accent Lines Question.
From: "deloreanryder" <deloreanryder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:59:00 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jack_at_dml_sacketmansion.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Delorean Hovercraft project coming up on Monster Garage

I have my ReplayTV PVR set to record!!!!  I will then remove commercials and
burn it onto DVD after I make a cool startup screen.  I really want a good
hard copy of this.  I can add chapter selection and the usual DVD stuff.  I
have to do something with this DVD burner my wife got me.

_______________________________
Jack Stiefel - Radio Cape Vincent
Live Internet Radio at http://www.radiocapevincent.com
Take a trip to the historic http://www.sacketmansion.com

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:01:58 -0400
From: "Aaron Crocco" <Slider_ten_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Monster Garage Thought

Wow, I just finished watching Monster Garage.  That was to say the least, a bit insulting.

-Aaron Crocco

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:06:51 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: Discovery Channel Hover Craft

I was shocked the way it went.  When it started, I was excited.  Could not
wait to see how it turned out.  Then they called the DeLorean drivers
NERDS...  Jesse sabatoged the project from the start....  I felt bad for
Don!  They had a chance to salvage it in the end with either allowing Don or
the Marines to finish it right but NO, they had to destroy it.

What a bad taste in my mouth.  Jesse went from Monster Idol to junkyard
trash!

Jack

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:13:19 EDT
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Monster Garage DeLorean Hovercraft Opinion

I may just have to cry myself to sleep tonight....
     I just watched the show and must say I am very dissapointed.   They
treated the DeLorean like there was an unlimited supply of them. The project car
looked in decent shape on the outside and I am sure many parts could have been
salvaged instead of destroyed.   Instead of peaking public interest in our
stainless steel beauties, it made DeLoreans look like a joke.   Bashing all the
windows out of a DMC, throwing body panels on the floor, and cutting up the
fiberglass underbody was dissapointing.   And when I thought I had seen the worst
they ran over the failed hovercraft/DeLorean with a marine tank and destroyed
decent body panels, facias, and more.   I think we should preserve these cars
and their parts instead of throwing them away like seen tonight.   Thats just
my opinion.

What did you all think?
Patrick

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 06:33:10 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Monster Garage

Watched the Monster Garage episode last night. Very interesting episode. My wife and I weren't sure what to think, since we don't watch the series on a regular basis. Jesse James seemed to hate the initial idea at first, but then he actually got into it and seemed mad at the end when they weren't able to pull it off by the time limit. I went to the Monster Garage site and read a little into the forum page about this episode and peoples comments about it. Here's the link:

http://discovery.infopop.net/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=6941912904&f=9951983295&m=3211967086

!!Warning!! Not all the comments are positive towards the Delorean itself (which I don't understand, since the car itself isn't as important as what they are trying to accomplish with it on the show). The first posting is from Jesse and he even admits he messed up by not being in on the project from day one and was rougher on the guys than he should have been. I also read that Jesse and the producers pick and approve the project, so regardless of how he reacted at first, he wanted to do the project to begin with.

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:23:02 -0400
From: "Jeff" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: RE: New Member

Always good to see new people around these parts. Especially from my own
area. You will learn more from just reading this list than you could
imagine. I've been a member here for a couple years now, and have been
in that "hopefully next year" boat for a while. I've come close a couple
times.

Focus on your education and career, first! Once you have settled your
finances, you'll have learned enough about the beloved car to be an
excellent owner. Patience is a virtue!

Welcome, fellow Husky-er!!

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
Webmaster, http://www.88-mph.com

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:06:28 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Welcome.

I'm also a college student, 22 years old now, who's wanted a DMC since
BTTF came out.  Unlike many of the other kids in college driving
around in BMW's and Mercedes Benz, my parents couldn't afford to pay
for my school, AND a DeLorean.  So for me, my savior was getting
internships.  It allowed me to work to pay for my car while getting
academic credit and experience.  I would investigate this if your
school can provide you with some assistance.  I spent several years
researching these cars and then when I found one that looked great and
talked to the owner extensively, I made a purchase.  The main thing I
looked for was that the owner drove the car regularly.  As a result,
many of the things on my car had already been replaced, like the fuel
system, the relays, the clutch, radiator, cooling system, etc.
Really, the only thing my car needed was some cosmetic things
(stainless was excellent, though).
I purchased the car during my junior year in college, got an
internship, and then paid ahead far enough on the payments to last me
until I graduate and can get a "real" job. :)
I think this way is financially responsible, yet satisfying if you're
getting impatient :)

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 02:56:45 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Struts...which way are they "supposed" to go?

You've got 'em upside down. Lubricating oil is puddling at top of
housing (which on your car is of course at the bottom), allowing seal
to dry out and gas to escape. Not end of the world -- just pop 'em off
and turn over.

BTW: door struts should definitely be purchased from DeLo vendors.
Wrong length will rip stud loose from pontoon, and I've heard of door
studs being bent too.

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:45:22 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

A gas stut works best where in its resting state (ie compressed), the
rod end is pointing downwards. This is because the insides contain fluid
to lubricate the seal

Unfortunately, the DeLorean's strut is horizontal in its resting state
which is why they have a limited lifespan - the top of the seal dries
out. You can increase the life by keeping the barrel towards the door
and the rod towards the body, and also swap L and R struts every 2
months or so.

Martin

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:16:38 -0700
From: Glenn <green95gst_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: New member. Overheating problems

Hi all
I just joined the group the other day.  This is my second Delorean that
I have owned since 92.  I've had the heads rebuilt and a low mileage
bottom end put in and have had this annoying problem with the cooling
fans not coming on when they are supposed to.  Don Steger has replaced
the cooling sensor on the engine 3 times in the last year.  It works
for a while then only works intermittently.   Does anyone have any
ideas what would make it stop working?  Also I have been thinking about
just wiring in a switch to turn them on manually.  Where can I get some
information about what wires I need to tap into to run a switch in the
car to turn the fans on when I want?

Oh yeah, First Delorean had over 350,000 miles before it went away
without ever opening up the engine.

TIA

Glenn

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:17:13 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing the Fuel Accumulator

If your accumulator diaphragm is leaking there won't be any residual
pressure. That's why car won't start hot (no pressure to crack
injectors). When cold engine is running off cold start valve until
fuel system pressurized.

With engine off simply pressing down air sensor plate one time lowers
system pressure to 50 psi or so through the injectors. Remaining
pressure is slowly bled off as fasteners are removed. Yes, a little
gas will leak out, but it's not acid, nor will it spontaneously
combust (remember: gasoline vapors explode, not liquid). Of course
when working upside down under accumulator you don't want to drip into
eyes etc.

Accumulator is uphill of filter so contamination is lesser issue than
inside engine compartment. Try to be clean nevertheless.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, deloreanss_at_dml_a... wrote:
> I am about to go through the process of replacing my fuel
accumulator, which

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:33:55 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 10/13/03 9:23:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> I am about to go through the process of replacing my fuel accumulator,
> which
> has been the source or many hot non-starts. The thing I am worried about is
> that it seems too easy (deceptively so?). Is there any trick to this? I have
>
> searched the shop manual over to find out if it is pressurized or not. I
> assume
> it is. I am afraid I am going to get a face full of gasoline when I yank
> this
> thing. Any tips?
>
> Thanks,
> John Weaver
> ETDOC
> RED DMC #10527

Well, you could relieve fuel pressure by first not using the car for a day
before you do this job and also by loosening a hose on say, the fuel
distributor's lower chamber such as the input line.  this should relieve as much pressure
as possible but it will still be full of gas.

if you remove your ash tray you can see if you can get thru the access hole
inside the car to hold the lines as you loosen them.  i have not done this job
before but i understand that the lines if very old and rusty will easily bend,
causing you more problems. i would recommend using lots of PB Blaster and
buying some flare-nut wrenches in the proper size.

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:38:00 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you wait 10 min any pressure in the system should be gone
especially if the accumulater is shot (that's what is supposed to hold
the pressure up so if it is bad the pressure will drop quickly). You
do have to be careful about spilling fuel on yourself, especially in
your eyes so wear eye protection and have a pan nearby to catch any
spilled fuel. Be careful of any drop lights or other sources of
ignition. This should be done in a well ventilated garage. Remove the
rubber hose on the end first and let it drain. You MUST NOT DAMAGE THE
METAL LINES!!!!!!! If you do it could require raising the body to
replace them. Use metric open end wrenches that fit properly and hold
back so you don't twist the lines. This is a tight place to work. If
the rubber hose on the end looks all cracked up you might want to
replace it. It isn't highly pressurized so any good automotive fuel
line will do.

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:28:55 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: improper lambda readings

List,

I am getting closer to figuring out my idle problem but i still have a little
ways to go.

it appears that my idle microswitch is somewhat flakey- when i have
everything wired up with the switch depressed, i can tap it with a screwdriver and the
advance solenoid clicks each time.  it clicks too fast for my digital meter to
register which is why it escaped me until now (when my system is now wired
properly). i have a new switch on the way but at the time it seems to be working
ok (verified with a timing light when the car is running).

ok on to the next problem.

first i need to know how to verify that my idle motor and lambda system are
working properly.  when cold, the car cycles up and down for about 2 minutes or
so (getting a little chilly around here) which is normal (fixed pulse ratio
runs rich).  then it runs a little rough until it gets actually fairly smooth
at full operating temperature.  i watch with a dwell meter and i can see the
needle change with engine running quality and temperature.  additionally, the
idle motor makes a lot of noise and the frequency valve buzzes.  my last
evidence is when i press the full throttle switch, it makes the dwell needle change
too. does all of this add up to a functioning idle system?  or is there a test
i can do that will definitely answer the question?  i just want to be sure
this is ok before i continue.

if that is good, then on to the next problem.  i am looking at the dwell
benchmarks as listed in D:04:15 in the workshop manual.  when i start my car and
it is cold, my needle hovers around the 30 deg area instead of the 50-60.  it
is also around 30 deg give or take 5 deg when i disconnect the lambda sensor in
the wheel well instead of 40-50 fixed needle.  i can turn my CO screw until
the needle varies from 35-45 or pretty close anyway as per the manual (O2
sensor plugged in) but when i press the full throttle switch, it drops down to 30
deg again.  these numbers are not close to what the book shows.  i tried
turning my screw in small increments from almost-killing-it left to
almost-killing-it right.  same readings the whole way down the scale (except the swing with O2
sensor plugged in, which seems to stray away from 35-45 as i turn the screw
away from what seems to be an optimum spot).  even when the needle is in the
'right' spot during that single test, the car still seems to run a little too
rough than what i know it can do. btw, i am reading the six cyl scale and i have
the test lead connected to the orange wire for the diagnostics plug and the
battery wire to the bulkhead battery aux terminal.

I am in total outer space right now with this dwell meter - does anyone have
any ideas on what the problem is?  apparently, whenever the car should be in a
fixed-ratio state, the dwell reads much lower than it should be.  why?  it is
this problem that makes me wonder if i need to do some testing of the idle
motor and freq valve, etc.

many thanks to those of you that have privately emailed me and gotten me as
far as i have, but i still need some help!  at least i am learning a LOT as i
go!!!!

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:00:00 -0500
From: "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson_at_dml_waterousco.com>
Subject: RE: Re: The Golden DeLorean

On that site, the seller describes #20105 as "This vehicle was reskinned by
Big Lots Stores as a promotional giveaway."  This seems to be contrary to
the legend that this car being built at the factory with the "spare" set of
gold parts from the AE cars.  Is the seller incorrect?  Or is Big Lots
Stores the place that did the electroplating and he just worded it poorly?

Al

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:39:16 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Fourth Gold DeLorean

The fourth gold DeLorean does exist, and it was done privately many years
ago by a doctor in New York state. In the early eighties, it was offered for
sale in Hemmings Motor News, and I obtained a photo of the car and a copy of
the "Spectrochemical Analysis" that was performed by a company in New York
City.

I scanned the photo in the early days of the DML and posted it on the
website, it has since been copied and posted in many other places, here is
one (it's the one with the "24K GOLD" license plate):

http://members.tripod.com/~DeLoreanDMC/index-26.htm

The car is a black interior, but I no longer recall the transmission type. A
carfax check a few years back showed that the car had not been registered
since the mid-eighties, and was last registered in the same town as that of
the owner who's name is on the aforementioned analysis.

Years ago I spoke with Rob Grady and he recalled hearing about it, as well,
but had not ever seen it.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:41:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Monster Garage Thoughts & more

OK... here I go again on a rant... lol. Here's my opinions on the show, and the rash of heavily altered cars that have come down the pipeline these last couple of years. I agree with Aaron... the show was insulting to our marque. I agree with Rich W. that all of these modified cars bring attention to the DeLorean, and they may possibly stir interest in a car that has been dead for more than two decades. But here's the catch 22- the fact that people are making DeLoreans into hover crafts, monster trucks, convertibles and the like makes the marque even more of a joke to naysayers.

I'm going to go back to the tired example of my Dad's 1969 Mustang "Boss 302." There was a limited run of these special cars from 1969-1970. During this time roughly the same amount of Boss 302's were made as there were DeLoreans were made. Have I ever seen anyone hack a Boss into a convertible? A monster truck? A hover craft? I think not. If we want the world to take our cars seriously, we've got to stop doing these absolutely retarded things to the cars. It's getting attention in all the wrong ways. It just continues the legacy that the DeLorean is a joke car.

So how about instead of hacking DeLoreans publicly and making a fool of the marque, let's get someone to probe interest in the several car restoration shows that appear on the Speed Channel and TNN. There are great shows like "Dream Car Garage" and a few others. Or try and field interest for Dennis Gage to do a section on someone's concourse DeLorean for "My Classic Car."

Louie Golden

Pre-order the updated second edition of  "DeLorean: Stainless Steel Illusion" now! Details <a href="http://www.stainless-steel-illusion.com" target="_blank">here!</a>

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:20:54 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

I taped this also as well as the rockclimber episode and am putting them on
DVD-R for myself... I personally enjoyed the rockclimber ep more. This one had
too much argument and you could see JJ wasn't really that interested in doing
it. Am I to assume this project was brought up to the MG people and they said go
ahead?

Regards,

Michael

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:26:45 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: VIN 20105

Big Lots was/is the retail arm of Consolidated International, the
company that "bought out" the factory and remaining cars. The
spare set of panels was always kept on hand in the states,
along with the tan interior parts. Jeff Abrams, who worked for
Consolidated at the time, instructed that the last car (VIN 20105)
would have the spare set of panels and the tan interior.
Apparently, they were somehow 'short" one door (the right one)
and had to have another one plated to use on that car. That is
why there is a color mis-match on that door.

As an aside, I have here a copy of a parts inventory report dated
February 1, 1983 which lists all the spare gold pieces and their
prices. I'll scan it and put it up later, but list price on a gold plated
door (part number GD-108495) was $24,286.78! A gold plated
wheel lug nut (GD-100181) was $40.29.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nelson, Allan"

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:39:21 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Is eBay member "dalorean" on the list???

I'm looking to contact ebay member "dalorean".  I have been trying
to contact you for quite some time regarding the ebay auction of
mine that you one.  Please contact me privately.

Thank you,
Erik

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:51:34 -0400
From: "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>
Subject: Re: improper lambda readings

 Hi Andy

 What you are describing actually sounds right! The problem is that you
 cannot look at the numbers on the meter. If it reads 30 with the O2 sensor
 disconnected it means that it is actually 50%. Just foget what the numbers
 are on the dwell meter scale. Look at it this way - the meter goes to 60
and
 that is 100%. Then 30 will be your 50%. 15 will be 25% and so on.
 Disconnect the O2 sensor and make sure you get a reading of 30. Then
 reconnect the sensor (make sure the engine is warm and spark plugs are
 clean - rev it up for few seconds) and the needle on the dwell meter should
 move from just under 30 to just above 30. When it does, it's perfect.
 Remeber, it's not the dwell that you are measuring. It a percentage of the
 scale on the meter.

 Good luck!
 Tom Niemczewski
 vin 6149 (5-speed, yeah!)

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:00:28 -0000
From: "turbodmc3113" <turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour IV

As you know, the Fourth Annual DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour is this
weekend Oct 18 & 19 in North Wildwood NJ. We are Staying at the
Ivanhoe Motel (609) 522-5874

I just finished the confirmation and we will have the car display on
the boardwalk between 12:30 and 2:00pm on Sunday. I am also inviting
Bricklins and Lotus owners to join us.

Please see all the details on the Mid Atlantic web page.

Regards,

Mike D.
Vin 3113
NY Lic. DLORIANN

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:37:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sean Mulligan <sean_mulligan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Stainless Memory

hey guys,

i've read somewhere, probably on this list, that dry
ice can remove small dents on stainless due to it's
memory.  has anyone tried this or is it just a hoax?

thanks,

sean

VIN 10054
"FLUXING"

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:51:17 -0000
From: "ablemanse" <s.ableman_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: capacitors

List,

   Is there a list of capacitors and there locations. I see some on
the parts list, listed as suppressors, but the wiring diagram shows
more. Also, is there a index to the electrical schematic? It sure is
hard to rewire a "D" without one!

TIA Steve vin 1089

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:42:52 -0000
From: "deloreanryder" <deloreanryder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Hoods with Accent Lines Question.

How difficult are these particular Hoods to find? I've noticed that
the flat Hood is generally easier to find than this one or the Hood
with a Gas Flap. Thanks.