From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1712
Date: Thursday, October 16, 2003 5:39 AM

1. VIN 20105 (and the other gold cars)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

2. Seeing what's out there
From: "cyboexpo2002" <paul.mari_at_dml_huskymail.uconn.edu>

3. Re: mode switch diaphram disassembly & reassembly instructions??
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

4. Fixing brake switch in a pinch
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:16:46 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: VIN 20105 (and the other gold cars)

VIN 4300 - 1st AMEX gold car - in Reno, NV
VIN 4301 - 2nd AMEX gold car - in Snyder, TX
VIN 20105 - "last" car built, using the *only* spare set of panels - in MD

VIN XXXX (deleted) - Car with panels plated privately by owner - last known
to be in NY

Does that clear it up? Or muddle it worse?

James

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:07:25 -0000
From: "cyboexpo2002" <paul.mari_at_dml_huskymail.uconn.edu>
Subject: Seeing what's out there

I've begun browsing what's in my local (as in NY, CT, MA) area.  I'm
pretty sure I'll be a couple years before I'm actively looking, but I
figure that way I learn about the market a bit more...
Anyway, I see a lot of Ds on for around the $15-20k range.  I'm trying
to get an idea of what kind of condition that would get me...though
from the pictures I immediately notice things like ripped seats and
demaged headliners (but this is I guess normal for a car this age).

Basically, I was about wondering any input you guys might have about
buying.  (There's always that chance that I might be able to free up
some cash)

On a side note, I hear that I'm lucky since PJ Grady is pretty close
by here (relatively).  Well, I found out some interesting info the
other day.  Apparently, they were planning a bridge across Long Island
Sound that would lead me almost directly in the direction of PJ
Grady's in the 70s and 80s.
http://www.geocities.com/cyboexpo2002/too_bad.txt
Build that bridge!  Seriously though, any tips, etc would be greatly
appreciated.  $20k is a sizable chunk of change, and I want to know,
in general, how much of a car this'll get me.  Thanks!

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:43:18 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: mode switch diaphram disassembly & reassembly instructions??

I've had my mode switch out several times and it's pretty simple (at
the time I didn't know what lubricant was suitable and I therefore
had it out once for each lubricant I tried).

Pull the knobs off the controls on the A/C panel and remove the
screw in the center that keeps the plastic bezel in place. Do not
remove the screw holding the mode switch to the mounting plate yet.

>From the driver's footwell, reach around the edge of the console
with your left hand/arm and grab the rubber boot/manifold attached
to the rear of the mode switch. Do not disconnect any vacum hoses
from the rubber boot/manifold. The rubber boot/manifold has a
tactile index mark on it (a bump cast in the rubber you can feel
with your fingers). Feel the boot and become familiar with its
orientation. Unless you're some contortionist, you have to do this
by feel since you cannot in general see anything with you arm back
there, and you'll have to put it back on by feel later.

Pull the entire rubber boot with hoses attached off the back of the
mode switch.

Now remove the screw securing the mode switch to the center console.

Leave the electrical connections at the bottom of the mode switch
attached for the time being. They have a bit of slack that you can
make use of. Work the switch with electrical wires still connected
as far out of the cavity as you can. They should almost make it to
the edge of the console. Now take a look at the electrical
connections and make note of which colored wires attach to what
terminal. Then disconnect the electrical connections and withdraw
the mode switch.

Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Attach the
electrical connections using the available slack and then mount the
mode switch to the console. Reach back and grab the rubber boot and
orient it based on the tactile features on it before pushing it onto
the back of the mode switch.

The lubricant I had really good success with was silicone spray
lubricant.

    Knut

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcyoseppi" <dmcyoseppi_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> Does anyone have a good set of instructions on how to remove the
AC

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:51:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Fixing brake switch in a pinch

I discovered last night that my brake lights weren't working. I'd had this
happen before due to an inline fuse in the footwell blowing (I don't know
why it was there, maybe the car previously had cruise control or
something). I checked the fuse and the one in the electrical compartment
and they were both fine. The switch itself was dead.

So luckily I have DMC Joe's courtesey light circut cutoff switch. The
wires are long enough that I could run it down to the brake switch wiring
and control it with my right thumb while braking and downshifting. Luckily
I'll have a replacement switch tomorrow.

-Christian