From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1725
Date: Saturday, October 25, 2003 5:53 AM

1. Re: Bob Thomason DeLorean-less
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

2. RE: DeLorean insurance (Esurance.com)
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

3. Re: air conditioning related overheating
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Re: Re: Bob Thomason DeLorean-less
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

5. need advice for speaker replacement
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

6. Re: need advice for speaker replacement
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

7. Re: need advice for speaker replacement
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Mid-Atlantic Fall Foliage Tour Web Page is done
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

9. Re: Re: need advice for speaker replacement
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

10. at long last....
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

11. Time Machine for sale in Dallas?
From: "videobob11" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: need advice for speaker replacement
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:04:40 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Bob Thomason DeLorean-less

Just because you don't currently have one in the driveway, please
don't feel you can't participate in events. Was a blast with Aaron C
in our parade last weekend. Apparently he's been bringing the little
red car for a while -- wonder if Mid Atlantic people will miss IT when
he buys a DeLo?

#5252 couldn't be in better hands. Remember: the Cadillac hit him, not
other way around.

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bob Thomason" <rdt7_at_dml_c...> wrote:
> Louie....don't forget the part of our deal where you promised to
call me first if you ever decide to sell the car! I already miss it
but I know it's in good hands.

> I'm going to miss owning my Delorean. It was my daily driver and I
can honestly say that every morning when I drove it out of my driveway
I'd think to myself, "damn, this car is fun to drive". How many cars
can do that to a person? Thanks to all of you all for keeping up the
flow of information on this list. I read it religiously and its been a
big help. Thanks to Dave Swingle for adjusting my doors----for free no
less! And you ETDOC guys were a blast to be with on the Tail of the
Dragon trip last year. This is a great community and that's half the
fun of owning the car.

> I will own a Delorean again. Unfortunately, time and family pressues
necessate a different vehicle for now. It'll be something totally
boring, I'm sure. I'll tough it out as long as I can, but I know I'll
be back in the saddle someday. Once possessed by the dream, it never
really dies!

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:23:13 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: DeLorean insurance (Esurance.com)

Heads up:  If you live in NJ and try Esurance.com  "We don't currently
offer coverage in your state."

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:02:43 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: air conditioning related overheating

It sounds gauge or electrical related to me. Dropping back in
seconds from the red zone is not realistic. Check the connection on
the temp sender and clean or replace ALL the fuses, especially fuse
number 5. While you are down by the stearing rack disconnect and
clean all the grounds and the fan electrical connections.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> Hi group.  I've recently developed a sporadic overheating
problem.  It may
> have been around longer, but since it appears to be related to the
only
> recently fixed air conditioning, it's only recently popped up.

---

> But every now and then, particularly if I've been sitting still,
I'll look
> down and find the gauge has creeped up into the red zone.  Here's
the
> funny part, though.  If I turn off the AC, the gauge will drop
back to
> normal within seconds.  If I turn the AC back on at that point,
I'm

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:51:11 -0400
From: Michael Paine <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Bob Thomason DeLorean-less

I think I'll miss it... Hey Aaron, maybe get a red painted D?? :-P

Regards,

Michael
vin 6067

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:52:48 -0400
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: need advice for speaker replacement

Hey everybody

I'm looking into replacing my speakers, both front and rear, for better
ones. I'm not looking to change the setup or do any major modifications,
but I'd just like to hear some better sound. Does anyone have any
recommendations on what to buy and where to buy it?

Thanks in advance

Eric Itzel

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:49:30 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: need advice for speaker replacement

I replaced my speakers recently and I have a couple tips. All my
speakers (both front and rear) had the foam speaker surrounds so
deteriorated that it was actually crumbled away and missing. I
suspect that any original speakers still in these cars are likely to
be in a similar condition and that any new speaker installed will be
a substantial improvement.

In selecting your speakers there are a couple considerations you
should make in addition to the sound. The front speakers must not
have any protrusion in the speaker (like a tweeter coaxially mounted
by raised above the mounting flange). The front speakers mount flush
with the underside of the dash, so make sure you get front speakers
that will work adequately for that application. Mounting the front
speakers is notoriously fun -- you'll find several messages
providing tips on this in the archives.

For the rear speakers it is important to select new speakers that
have the same/similar magnet size as the original spekaers. The rear
mounting bracket clamps around the magnet of the rear speaker, and
the original speakers actually have a fairly reasonably sized magnet
structure. If you get rear speakers with a magnet size much
different than the original you'll have to rig up some shims or
something in order to mount them.

Good luck.

             Knut

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:20:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Go to crutchfield.com and look at the Pioneer speakers. When I get
home tonite I can give you the exact model # of the ones I put in. The
back ones are not easy only because removing the panels is hard.
Replacing them willl improve the sound but you can't expect a whole
lot because the radio is not all that great, it has a very low power
output. The origional speakers were cheap cr-p and now being 20 years
old the cones have stiffened up so they sound even worse. Any
replacement will sound better. The main limitation on the speakers is
physical dimensions. If you do not want to modify anything you have to
find a replacement that can fit right in. As it is you will have to
bend the bracket on the rear speakers to get them to fit (but that's
not visible and it doesn't affect the sound). To get the rear panels
off you have to use a heat gun (or hair dryer) and a putty-knife and
go slow and easy to avoid damaging the plastic panel. The front
speakers are hard to do only because you have to work against gravity
and the small washers and nuts always seem to fall in your eye or down
your shirt. When I was at the wharehouse in Cleavland I saw a whole
PALLET of speakers! They were the origional ones so they are also 20 +
years old.

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:16:10 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Mid-Atlantic Fall Foliage Tour Web Page is done

I have finished the Fall Foliage tour web page from last weekend's trip
to Wildwood NJ.

The page can be seen at:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/falltour4/index.htm

Enjoy!

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:37:23 +0100
From: "Chris" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: need advice for speaker replacement

Kicker K410 speakers fit perfectly in the back, the magnet is basically the
same size as OEM,  and sound better but as they are mounted by the magnet
don't expect much improvement.

I think you can get the K410's in the US for around $60

Chris S

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:01:46 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: at long last....

List,

i do believe it is time for celebration!
i can finally feel good and know that i have a 100% perfect running engine in
11596. my final problem was excessive cranking when cold.  i followed the
cold start system and found that the valve only fired when applied voltage via
the CPR harness.  i replaced the thermotime switch but that didn't help.  i
wound up tracing the 12V supply to the ignition solenoid, where i promptly
stripped the stud holding the big power wires.  oops.  i replaced the solenoid and
had the starter overhauled while i was at it.  put it all back together and
cranked her up - cranked, fired, and started in less than one second.  it seems
the starter solenoid wan't giving proper power to the cold start valve (and who
knows what else).

now i finally have a car that idles correctly, starts correctly when hot and
cold, has correct CO, exhibits proper timing and vacuum, and revs as freely as
any car should.  i must say, i am quite proud of finally getting to the
end!!!

thanks to everyone who has helped me get here - specifically Rob Grady and
Dave Swingle for help over the phone, Bill Robertson, Martin G., Tom for CO
adjustment help, John Hervey for a new idle microswitch, as well as everyone else
who has fielded questions and given me ideas over the last three years.   We
did it!!!

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:28:51 -0000
From: "videobob11" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Time Machine for sale in Dallas?

If you can make this auction, here is the chance to get a replica time
machine.
I would not have mentioned this if I thought I could afford it!
But I thought some of you would get a trip out of this:

http://www.kruseinternational.com/auctions/detail.asp?CONSIGN=S460&LOT_BEGIN=*&L\
OT_END=1000&AUC_CODE=dallfall03&AUC_BREAD=Dallas%202003&SEARCH_NAME=Complete%20L\
ist&PAGE=3

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:48:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The speakers are Pioneer. The fronts are Crutchfield # 130TS879 3 1/2
2 way and the rears are 130TSA5715 3-way 5x7 or 6x8. I don't know if
these #'s are still good, I bought them in 97. The fronts (2) were
$54.95 and the rears (2) were $99.95. Because of the crummy radio I
think these speakers were a little over-the-top. Unless you upgrade
the radio or add a power amplifier you could get by with something
less expensive. As pointed out you must be careful on the front
speakers. The origional installation is a flush-mount. If you get one
where the tweeter cone projects you will have to figure out a way to
mount it. When you call Crutchfield talk to them about your needs. I
have found them to always be very informative and helpful. I have no
personal interest in the company but I am a satisfied customer. You
can find them at crutchfield.com or 800-388-2911