From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1727
Date: Sunday, October 26, 2003 8:25 PM

1. Quote of the Day....
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

2. Mechanic Help in south florida
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. DeLorean Shipping
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>

4. Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com

6. Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

8. Re: Re: 6x8 speakers in rear
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Installed El-Glo instrument cluster photos
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

12. Re: Re: 6x8 speakers in rear
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Re: Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. Re:Window Problem
From: lhemb_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Clusters
From: grex37_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com

18. Re: DeLorean Shipping
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: Clusters
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>

20. Passenger Door Won't Shut Right
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

21. Re: Re: 6x8 speakers in rear
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Clusters
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

23. Re: Re: 6x8 speakers in rear (Dynamat)
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. Re: Re: Clusters
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

25. Re: Re:Window Problem
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:43:26 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Quote of the Day....

"A DeLorean? You don't own a DeLorean. There's like only THREE of
them left in the entire world."

    -Home Depot employee (unsuccessfully) trying to make a copy of my
key.

Rich

Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Mechanic Help in south florida

Well still can't figure out my fuel problem. Does anyone live in the south Florida area and willing to help work on my Delorean?  I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and am certainly willing to do whatever it takes to get it running.  Because there are simply no mechanics that I know that can work on them in my area.  I'm already in this situation because someone thought they could give it a tune up and now it does not run at all! SAVE A DELOREAN

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:53:21 -0000
From: "captain_hydrogen" <captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: DeLorean Shipping

I am preparing to enter the world of DeLorean ownership and went to
www.movingcompanies.ws to get quotes from multiple companies for
shipping a DeLorean from NY to AZ (2,450 miles approx).  Most of the
quotes have been around $1,050, but one company,
www.hurstautotransport.com, gave a Discount Rate of $845.

Is this a fair, good, great, ... etc. rate or do I need to keep
looking?  Does anyone have any cheaper alternatives?

The DeLorean I am preparing for has some cosmetic issues (it has been
painted), so I do not require covered or enclosed transport, actually
I am hoping some of the paint comes off enroute ;) .  The lowest
quote is as follows:

1982 delorean dmc-12 Running
From: NY - To: AZ

Discount Rate

The majority of vehicles at this rate are picked up within 14
business days from time the vehicle is availavle for pickup. Door to
door (when safe and legal), fully insured, pre and post inspections
included. $200 company fee due up front.(cashier's check, money
order, or credit card.) Balance is due upon delivery, COD. Payment in
full up front is accepted. Give us a call with any questions: 888-251-
9822

$845.00

Thank you
Ben Ferguson
Owner - Sonoran Scientific
Member of the Board of Directors - American Hydrogen Association
(www.clean-air.org)
Member - Arizona DeLorean Club (www.az-d.org)
captainhydrogen_at_dml_cox.net

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:07:34 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Shipping

I shipped a car from Los Angeles to Cincinnati via Total Auto Transport and
it cost $700.

The phone number if you want to call them is 623-551-9091
ask for Michelle

This is the line that has offered to transport cars for the Pigeon Forge Show
from Los Angeles or any other city if we can fill a truck with 6 cars
It is open

Ken
www.DeLoreancarshow.com

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:13:13 GMT
From: FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com

I had mine shipped almost two years ago from Detroit to Florida in an enclosed trailer (with other people's cars) and the cost was about $1100.  Your quotes seem within my realm of experience.

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:25:35 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Yeah - find a closer car. The following generalizations are meant as
some thoughts on buying DeLoreans and may or may not apply to your
situation. There are always exceptions.

It always amazes me that people ship cars across the country, sight
unseen, when there are so many cars for sale everywhere. Someone in
my town, for example, recently imported a car from Texas when there
are at least two of them for sale within 50 miles at similar price and
condition.

Transportation adds hundreds of dollars (to over a thousand) to the
purchase price, why not raise your budget a like amount and look
closer to home? Even if the car is as-described, I'd rather see an
added $1000 in value in the car itself instead of paid to a
transporter company. That $1000 could buy a lot of parts, or a better
car to start with, but as transport cost it adds absolutely nothing
to the value of the car. At a minimum spend the $800 on an airplane
ticket and go see and drive the car first. If it passes muster drive
it home, if not fly back and be glad you didn't make a mistake.

This may not be a popular view but personally I'd never buy a car
sight unseen unless it was at the parts-car level and price, i.e. not
much to lose. It's too hard to see some of the significant problem
areas, especially on cars that have "lived" in an environment that
you are unfamiliar with.

In your case, being in AZ a problem is that you may have never seen
what a Northern car can look like underneath. I'm working on one
right now that looks great, never been out in the sun for longs
periods of time, interior etc. immaculate, but the frame is absolute
toast from road salt. Southern cars can be the opposite - fried
interior but perfect frame. And issues caused by long-term storage
and lack of maintenance can happen anywhere. Most sellers try to be
honest but you really owe it to yourself to know what you are
getting.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "captain_hydrogen"

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:37:36 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

All I know is that DMC Houston uses passport transport so the Delorean
I'll be shipping will be using them as I figure huston trusts them and
as a result, passport transport probably moves more deloreans than any
other shipping company.

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:17:44 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: 6x8 speakers in rear

In a message dated 10/25/03 6:47:37 PM Central Standard Time,
webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk writes:

> These are 5" drivers from memory and the
> fit is still tight. Sound quality is still poor, even with the Dynamat
> (that's all the silver stuff), though I'm not sure if it's the result of
> the speaker not having an enclosure, or the Kenwood head unit.

To anyone who is thinking about upgrading their DeLorean sound system, i
highly recommend looking at my system i built last year.  A full write up was in
the 2nd issue of Gullwing Magazine and a brief is shown on my car webpage
<A HREF="http://members.cardomain.com/soma576">http://members.cardomain.com/soma576</A>

5" drivers are intended for mid to upper range frequency handling and it is
impossible to get a decent setup with only 5's in the back.  the rear speakers
should be producing a wider range than the front to fill in frequencies in the
front with less amplitude.  your front soundstage is of primary concern than
the front, which is where the majority of sound should be produced (with the
rear as fill-in).

for a good system on a budget, i would recommend replacing the stock head
unit with a top-quality receiver, replacing the dash speakers with some quality
coaxials, installing Don Steger's kick panel speakers in the wheel wells, and
disconnecting the stock 4x10's and replace with a couple of 6x9's or 8" full
range drivers in seperate boxes on the rear shelf.  this should run you about
$650 or so, depending on what quality you buy.  you will have to find a way to
keep the boxes from rolling around and you may not like the look of non-stock
parts sitting there, but it will be many times better than trying to utilize
the rear stock locations.

reasons why the stock location in the rear is terrible:
1. no baffle or way to isolate rear of speaker from front of speaker (main
reason why it sounds like crap)
2. interior panel with grill is flexible and introduces distortion
3. space is too limited to provide any decent sized driver anyway (decent for
rear fill is 6.5" and bigger)
4. speakers aren't even pointed the right way and results in frequency
cancellation

the boxes in the shelf will solve all four problems, as long as you can live
with the look of it.

of course, from here you can go anywhere.  if you want to get the best sound
possible while not using up any of the rear shelf, you should check out my
$2400 system at the website above.  but then again, i demand more from a system
than the average guy would i think.

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:37:59 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Installed El-Glo instrument cluster photos

In a message dated 10/25/03 8:40:03 PM Central Standard Time,
aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net writes:

> The finished product looks better than I expected, and I'm really pleased.
>
> I'm going to keep working on real lit needles, but I know I won't be
> disappointed with this in the meantime.
>
> If any of you are on the fence about doing this project, I really
> recommend it.  It's given my car a whole new look at night.
>
> -andrew
> Houston TX

Andrew,

looks pretty cool to me.  can you show a pic with what it looks like with the
key in the on position, with all the warning lights illuminated too?

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:40:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

I just inquired to move a car from NJ to MI. I called 8 companies. It
turns out the going rate is around $1 per mile with a minimum of
around $400 just to load and unload. The longer the trip the more they
can discount. I have seen cars moved on popular routes like NY to CA
or FL at the cheapest rates because they try to fill a big truck. It
could be cheaper to have the car taken to CA and then pick it up and
take it to AZ. The move to MI is going to cost around $630 door to
door enclosed and fuly insured. Get a Hemmings Motor News at a
bookstore or large newsstand and just call all the ones that advertise
and use their 800 #. If you can find one with a nearby local
terminal(at either end) they may be able to give you the best rate.
Try Passport and Horseless Carriage, they are in the local NY area. In
any case $845 sounds like a good rate, just check on how they will
ship it, insurance (how much and under what conditions), if they will
load and reload at terminals, how long, if it is door to door, etc. If
it is not enclosed transport will they tarp it, how do they prevent it
from getting stolen. In any case it is generally better to buy in your
local market. You can see the car before you buy and you don't have to
add the cost of shipping to the aquisition costs, you can afford to
pay $845 more for one nearby. Deloreans aren't that rare that you have
to import them from 1 coast to the other.

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:43:25 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

I also had Passport transport ship in my car.
See (http://openshoebox.com/images/32678).

>From the time I called them, until the time I actually got the car,
was only 6 days.  I also paid $1200.  This was to ship from Wisconsin
to Pennsylvania and pick up the car from the seller on a day that I
specified.  It would have been only $950 or so if I would have been
willing to wait a week or two longer, but after waiting for 15 years
for this car I couldn't do it :-P

The driver said that he has delivered quite a few DeLoreans, and he
was very careful about entering and exiting the car once inside the
trailer, as there is not sufficient vertical clearance to open the
door completely.

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:16:58 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

My one concern about installng speakers on the rear shelf is on the
drivers side, you have the ignition amplifier directly under the carpet,
which works on a very low current inductive pickup from the distributor
- a large magnet just above it is not really a good idea. It'll probably
be fine, but I would personally not do it for this reason alone. I
wasn't trying to create a fantastic soundstage in my DeLorean, but I did
want the rear speakers to work. They do, without distortion, just with
terrible bass response due to lack of an enclosure. I used the older
equivalent of the same JBL component pair in my old Citroen, where the
tweeters were in the dash, much like the DeLorean, but the drivers were
in the doors - it gave terriffic bass response - no award winner but
more than good enough for me. The head unit was a Panasonic then, and I
wish I'd kept it when I sold the car.

BTW the dynamat was to quieten the car down, not to improve the stereo.

Martin

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:19:14 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean Shipping

Some of the prices being thrown around seem rather high. It cost me
$1275 to ship my car from NC to ENGLAND. The company I used ship
domestically in the US too - can I suggest you guys give them a go at
www.transcar.org

Best Wishes

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:22:52 EST
From: lhemb_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re:Window Problem

I am looking for suggestions on a window problem that my beloved Harvey (VIN
5830) is having. The passenger door window motor was replaced several years
ago. Recently, a problem has developed. I have to tap on the button 15 or 20
times to get the window to respond and go down. When it finally works, it goes
down smoothly. When I go to put the window back up, it works first time, every
time.

Brian McCabe & Harvey (5830) in Florida

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:15:57 EST
From: grex37_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Clusters

In a message dated 10/26/2003 6:35:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com writes:

> Message: 20
>    Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:57:38 -0500 (CDT)
>    From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
> Subject: Installed El-Glo instrument cluster photos

Speaking of modifying/replacing instrument clusters, would it be possible to
transfer a digital dash from a different car and make it work in a DeLorean
(assuming that the size of it is the same)? I imagine it is possible, but it
would probably take computer modifications and a whole different setup installed
in the car. For example, if you guys remember the Cadillac Allante, which was
introduced in the late 80's, had a digital dash. It included (this thing is
really cool - I saw one of these clusters a few weeks ago) digital speedometer,
digital RPMs, and digital odometer. I've always been a fan of the digital
cluster. Some fords of the late 80s also had them. I don't know why car companies
stopped using them. I have seen the one posted on our group's website, but
does it actually *work* or is it a novelty for a BTTF enthusiast? With its
futuristic appearance from the outside, a DeLorean would definitely look great with
the Allante's digital dash.

John C.

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:34:51 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

I have used Passport before and they are a great company but they are nowhere
near the cheapest.

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:56:25 GMT
From: FSMinc_at_dml_juno.com

Passport Transport also shipped my car from Detroit.  I agree with the idea generally of buying and driving close to home so that you have a chance to really check out the condition.  In my case, I flew to Detroit from Florida and drove the car and inspected it.   It was from an estate of a automotive engineer for Ford who had a collection of 8 cars in a climate controlled facility.  It was driven 5 miles a month to keep it in good running condition (except in Winter where it was idled for 10 minutes and winterized for storage.)  It had 3,000 miles on it and is flawless.  I drive it a few thousand miles a year now and have changed out all those things that one should when using as a daily or occassional driver.   This one was well worth the airfare to check it out as it was located in Bloomfield Hills area of Detroit and I got to drive it by DeLoreans old mansion.   Since it had been stored (albeit as well stored and preserved as it could be) I was not about to drive it all of a sudden to Florida.   The $1000 on transport was well worth it and once here I was able to make it a great regular driver with all the new belts, hoses, etc.   I now have 7,000 miles (over 2 years) and not a problem ever.   Unless, however, you know of an extreme case for shipping, I agree that it makes more sense to buy local.  These cars, like all cars, can run the full spectrum of condition.  Take your time and do the research.  Good luck.  Curt.

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:27:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Horseman of PA <the_horseman_pa_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If I had some extra time I could probally helped you
guys out. I have a roll back flat bed.

Todd
vin 5386

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:28:37 -0600 (CST)
From: Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_boom.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Clusters

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 grex37_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> Speaking of modifying/replacing instrument clusters, would it be
> possible to transfer a digital dash from a different car and make it
> work in a DeLorean (assuming that the size of it is the same)?

#10115 has a Dakota digital dash, as does #16816 (and perhaps others).  I
know the owner of 10115 was trying to get someone to swap out a regular
cluster for his digital.  I don't know if he ever succeeded.

> I've always been a fan of the digital cluster. Some fords of the late
> 80s also had them. I don't know why car companies stopped using them.

Because you and a haldfull of other people were the only fans.  People
prefer to be able to tell things like engine speed and vehicle speed to a
first approximation without having to look away from the road.  Digital
gauges make this pretty difficult.  Also, digital gauges make it almost
impossible to follow trends without a lot of concentration.

I'm generally in favor of modernizing things, but not just for the sake of
modernizing.  In the case of car instrument clusters, most people still
agree analog is the way to go.  In fact, these days, most cars' gauges are
analog gauges driven off digital inputs.

-andrew
 Houston TX

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:52:07 -0000
From: "p12c16" <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Passenger Door Won't Shut Right

Hey All,
           Today I decided to adjust the way that my passenger door shuts.  It has
never shut 100% correctly since I have owned the car, and I normally have to
slam it hard to shut it.  It always seems like it latches onto the front pin first,
then the back.  After hours of adjusting where these pins were positioned, I
became frustrated.  Nothing made it better.  Eventually I took both pins out
completely and held down the door to see what happened.  The front end of
the door looked great, but the back end still wasn't flush with the quarterpanel
(sticking out too much).  My thinking is that the door is somewhat warped.  I
am pretty sure that the torsion bar is a little too torqued because a new strut
made the door really hard to shut a few months ago.  I put a weaker one on
instead.  Think this is the problem?  Anyone else have any suggestions on
how to fix this?

Patrick

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:58:07 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 10/26/03 4:17:59 PM Central Standard Time,
webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk writes:

> BTW the dynamat was to quieten the car down, not to improve the stereo.

Another DML'er on here is covering his entire interior with dynamat under the
carpets, and i do mean the whole thing.  his interior is pretty much down to
the fiberglass.  i'm interested in how much this quiets the whole car down.
depending on results, i may do it myself!

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 01:38:49 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Digital dashes are like digital clocks to me. They never tell me
enough information instantly. An analog clock for example tells me
how much time is remaining, etc. at a glance - my usual reason for
looking. So, I personally prefer analog. I especially like the
lighting experiments that enhance the look.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Andrew <aos+yahoo_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 grex37_at_dml_a... wrote:
>
> > Speaking of modifying/replacing instrument clusters, would it be
> > possible to transfer a digital dash from a different car and
make it
> > work in a DeLorean (assuming that the size of it is the same)?
>
> #10115 has a Dakota digital dash, as does #16816 (and perhaps
others).   In the case of car instrument clusters, most people still

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:58:19 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: 6x8 speakers in rear (Dynamat)

Hi Andy

I covered the rear shelf, and inside the rear quarters up to the
seatbelt mounts, and one sheet over the centre console arch up to the
gearshift. I had terrible road noise and it has quietened it down
considerably. I bought 10 sheets of Dynamat Extreme off eBay for $109
IIRC. I'll get around to doing the rest at some point.

Martin

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:58:13 -0500
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

I replaced my dash with a half analog/half digital dashboard.

Lousy pix available at :
http://www.eliseusa.com/rotary.htm

I ended up fitting it inside the stock binnacle, which was really a task.
 Some inputs "lined up" well, others had to be modified.  I replaced the
wacky angle drive with a hall effect sensor for speed, and had to rewire
the fuel sender so the fuel would read correctly.

Jim
1537

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:50:04 -0500
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Re:Window Problem

Probably the window switch.  You can clean it yourself, get it cleaned by
someone like specialTauto, or just buy a new one.

Jim