From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1755
Date: Saturday, November 15, 2003 10:21 PM

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Jim Ray" <King_Tutt2000_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "Jim Ray" <King_Tutt2000_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "ricthiem" <rthiem_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

24. What to do about hole in frame...
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

25. RE: Re: idle yet again
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:13:23 -0800
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: idle yet again

Kevin, The best thing to do is get back to the correct settings.
#1. Make sure the vacuum solenoid switch is plugged in good and working.
#2. Make sure all the vacuum hoses going to it and from it are connected
good.
#3. Make sure the tube coming off the idle speed motor going to the bottom
of the air flow meter is sealed as good as possible. If it leaks you can't
adjust the idle correct. Also look for any other hoses that my be broken,
cracked or torn.
#4. The top screw on the throttle body lever ( must ) en-gauge and turn on
the idle speed motor about 30 thousands or so before the bottom screw hits
the striker plate.
When this happens it turns on the idle motor and turns on the vacuum
solenoid shutting off the vacuum going to the ignition distributor. If the
switch isn't working or not turning on, then you will have vacuum going to
the distributor all the time and resulting in higher idle. It's advancing
the timing.
#4. Once you get this done and the cable is not binding holding the throttle
lever open more than you want, then adjust the bottom ( counter clock ) till
the desirable idle is achieved. You will also have to adjust the top as
well. If you back off the bottom screw and you still have a high idle, then
make sure the top screw isn't holding the throttle open. That's why you have
to work back and fourth. If the above fails and your still having the high
idle, then the idle speed thermistor, ECU or Idle speed motor may be bad or
need to be replaced.

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:15:43 -0500
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: How to sell a Delorean?

Your price is out of line obviously.  It has high miles (for a
"collector" Delorean) and it has some modifications.

At dmcnews.com, there are many Deloreans with fewer miles and lower
prices.

Put it on EBAY with no reserve and it is sure to sell for what it is
"worth" in the current market.

Jim
1537

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:02:55 -0500 "C. C. Cameron Putsch"
<putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu> writes:
> Hey guys, I am curious I have been trying to sell my car though
> collector car trader and now hemmings and have very little interest.
> my price is not out of line and I would be willing to deal. I have
> been trying for months. I have never had this much trouble selling a
> collector car. How do I sell this thing?
>
> Sincerely, Casey at putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu

> address:

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:07:23 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

It is a semi-rare car. It wont sell quick. Everyone is looking for
something slightly different. I tend to think that a car priced at
almost $20k will take quite awhile to sell as most people dont have that
type of money laying around, and some even prefer to get a $14k - $16k
car that is good enough and upgrade it as they want. I assume you have
pictures showing the car. Pictures are very useful in trying to sell a
car, lots of pictures are even better as the car can be seen for all
it's details. A number of people are turned away by mods or non standard
things. Example a rear spoiler, writing on the car, ground effects,
covers on lights, and anything else that is not ordinary.

Of course it is always difficult to estimate, from a buyer's side,
wether a car is truely worth $20k or if they think the $15k car is close
enough to perfect and any small things can be done. It will sell at some
point, it may just take awhile. You figure your's has only been listed
on dmcnew.com since 11/14, there are cars still listed back to May that
are valid. Heck, the one I just purchased was listed for many months and
was getting near the bottom of the list. The higher the cost, the longer
it will take to sell, unless it is a real steal (selling a 200 mile,
perfect car for $20k as an example).

Samuel

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:47:59 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

That's easy...Don't.  We'll have to kick you out of the Ohio
DeLorean/Designer club...that's right...loyal order of the O.D.D.  (lol)

-Josh
Industrial, Graphic, Web and DeLorean design
VIN 5609...mostly just nuts and bolts left.

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 01:10:05 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Fascias for sale...

Hey Gang,

Made a trip to New York with Ken Koncelik here last weekend to drop off
the frame from his parts car.  The remaining pieces of VIN 5609 now fit
into just a small corner of my basement...and we are well on our way to
being able to finance the restoration of the raffle car for the Pigeon
Forge show.  Thanks to everyone who's helped!  I hope VIN 5609's parts
help keep your babies on the road for a long time to come.

On our return trip we stopped into PJ Grady's place and picked up 17
used fascias.  (13 front, 4 rear)  Ken and I will be reconditioning
these this weekend, and painting them as soon as the weather permits.
If you are in need of a fascia, but don't want to spend a small fortune
on a new one, you might want to consider one of these.

We have photos, and if you are in the Cincinnati area, (or even if you
aren't) you are more than welcome to stop by and check them out.  E-mail
me privately, if you are interested in learning more.

jhaldeman(at)fuse.net

Again, any profits go towards making the raffle car happen.

All my best,
Josh
A large collection of DeLorean nuts and bolts

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 01:16:21 -0500
From: Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: George Barris

Hey All,
Just got back from Gatlinburg, Tennessee (just minutes away from Pigeon
Forge, home of the DeLorean Car Show 2004!!!)
and we took in the Star Cars Museum there, because in the upper story
window, they have prominently displayed a Barris 'BTTF' DeLorean.
I couldn't resist.
I was told this is the one purchased from the Florida car museum (as
Barris has done this to more than one DeLorean.)  It's pretty pitiful.
The DeLorean itself looked like it deserved better.  Nice and clean.
The conversion was missing parts and sections, and some areas looked
like the workers had not even seen the movie, much less had pictures to
go by.
The best part of the car was the display it sat in.
I've posted a few pictures in the photo albums.  New folder called
Barris 'Movie' DeLorean(s).
Note the nasty hydraulic ram bolted to the top of the car from one door
to the other.  I think this was once used to 'flap', or partially open
and close the doors for display.
I have a photo of another Barris DeLorean I saw in his shop in
California that I'll try to find and add.
Only one thing seems to be consistent:  The Barris Crest emblem he
sticks onto every car.
Oliver Holler
10694 (Time-Car)

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:02:31 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Blinking side marker lights

Martin / Jan / other electrical geniuses - I just did the
modification to Winged1 to cause the side markers to blink with the
turn signals and emergency flashers, but I am experiencing an
unusual problem with my car.  The right hand side appears to be
functioning flawlessly under all conditions.  However, on the left
side, I experience a very slow and erratic blink when the lights are
on, and the car is off (but the key is in "on" position).  When I
start the engine, the system voltage goes up to 14.4 volts, and I
get a fast blink on the left side, but all bulbs are good.  When I
load up the system at idle with lights, fans, etc., the left blink
goes to very slow, and sometimes stops.  I suspected a weak flasher
relay, so I picked up a generic heavy duty flasher at NAPA.  The
fuses for turn signals and emergency flashers immmediately blew with
the new relay.  I'm guessing that the Lucas relay behaves
differently than the generic parts in terms of "parking at ground,
etc."  Is there a heavy duty relay that works like the OEM Lucas
(only better), or do I simply need a fresh standard duty relay?  Any
other ideas spring to mind?  BTW - I did all four markers, and I
like it alot.  Please advise at your earliest convenience.  Thanks!

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1 - "flashier than ever"

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:35:25 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Well, you can start with me.
I am looking to buy.
Tell me all about it!
Auto or 5 speed?
Black or Gray?
Condition?
Location?
Bottom dollar?

EBay seems to do fairly well if you have an honest price.

- VB

How do I sell this thing?

>Sincerely, Casey at putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account is over
limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 05:58:36 -0800
From: "Jim Ray" <King_Tutt2000_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: (unknown)

  Hey There,
     Any one know what the replacement muffler is recomended for the
Delorean?
I would like to find a staineless steel free-flo that replaces my rusty one.
Is there a company that sell's one???
     King_Tutt2000_at_dml_hotmail.com

Is your computer infected with a virus?  Find out with a FREE computer virus
scan from McAfee.  Take the FreeScan now!

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:30:59 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 11/14/2003 8:34:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu writes:
Hey guys, I am curious I have been trying to sell my car though collector car
trader and now hemmings and have very little interest. my price is not out of
line and I would be willing to deal. I have been trying for months. I have
never had this much trouble selling a collector car. How do I sell this thing?

The DeLorean Car Show magazine will be taking Ads for DeLorean sales starting
next issue

The cost of the ad is Free for a word ad up to 100 words.

If you want a photo ad and or up to a 1/16 page ad its $10

See DeLorean Car Show Magazine Winter 2004 edition page 44 for a sample.

We issue the magazine in April and in Late October to early November. We need
your ad in by March 10th or October 15th.

Up to two photos will fit in the above mentioned ad.

More space can be aranged so e-mail for custom size ad pricing.

We are growing fast
Our subscription base has doubled since the last issue.

Thanks
DeLorean Car Show Inc
DeLorean Car Show Magazine
www.deloreancarshow.com

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:38:34 EST (-0500)
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

I know I found and bought mine on http://www.dmcnews.com

regards,

Michael
vin 6067

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:18:51 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show

HI
Just wanted to add a few things here
Starting in a week or so you will be able to reach us at
deloreancarshow_at_dml_aol.com
this address also is attached to the DeLorean Car Show Pay pal account so we
will begin accepting pay pal from this address.

The web page is being updated and will be complete shortly with registration
information on Pigeon Forge.

I plan to start the Registration in early December as we did for the last
three shows.

There will be an e-mail to let you know when we are ready.

The Third issue of the magazine (Winter 2004) is out and some were mailed a
few days ago but the bulk was mailed yesterday.  IF you only sent in a partial
subscription and want this issue please contact me or fill out the
subscription form. Some of you olnly paid for one or two magazines at gatherings and did
not purchase the full set.

This issue is larger than the last and has a lot more in it.

As with all the magazines we have a few "special pictures" in it for you to
find.

Raffle Car

I keep getting asked about the raffle car.  Trust me its no mysterious car.
Its just a cool D.

Here are answers to frequently asked questions

1. Yes it does exist
2. Its parked in my back yard
3. It will be a totally functioning car that we will DRIVE to the show ready
to go.
4. It is a 1983 automatic vin 16113
5. Photos of it were taken at the fall foliage tour and if anyone that has it
can pass it along go ahead and do so. I know Mike DeLuca had it on the web
page for the Mid atlantic group.  I think Kevin Abato did the page.
6. The car's mileage is 30,929.
7. It is a black interior with the light grey carpets.
8. The car is undercoated.
9. Raffle ticket prices are $50 each and will be sold starting with the
registration due to start in Dec,
10. Yes the raffle is legal.  I get a lot of comments that this is illegal.
As a 501c3 Corporation raffles of cars are perfectly fine.  It is outlined in
the tax forms and publications. The individual winning the car will be
responsible for appropriate sales tax and the fair market value of the car will be
submitted to the irs since the value of the car is considered income.   The irs
is fine with the raffle as are the states of Tennessee and Ohio. There are
some local areas that do not allow this kind of raffle and we will need to post
void where prohibited by law. Tax forms and proof of Id will be required. You
must be 21 to enter. (We are looking at lowering this to 18 but there are a few
things needing to be cleared up first).
So I hope that clears that up.
11. There is a minimum of 150 tickets that need to be sold for the car to be
raffled off and I don't think that will be any problem.  We also will put a
cap of 500 tickets max on the car so that you will know the odds of winning.
12. All tickets sold will be available for viewing at the DeLorean Car Show
prior to the raffle.
     They will be displayed in a glass enclosure. The participant will have
half of a ticket but it is not necessary to claim the prize since all the
appripriate information is on the entered half of the ticket. (drivers liscence or
passport required to claim prize)
13. Winner does not need to be present to win.
14. Winner may take the car with them or pick it up in Cincinnati later.  At
this point shipping is the responsibility of the winner.  If the winner is
within 300 miles of Cincinnati we can arrange shipping for you.
15. Foreign entrants are allowed and will follow the IRS guidelines as laid
out in the appropriate publications.  Winner is responsible for shipping to the
final destination.
More details will follow on this one.

These are most of the commonly asked questions so I hope you all enjoy

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:56:33 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You will never get it to run smoothly and at the correct speed unless
you have complete control over the engine's air. You must fix all the
vacuum leaks first before you get the engine to idle correctly. The
throttle arm MUST be stopped by the set screw hitting the plate. Then
adjust the other set screw to activate the idle switch. The idle
switch MUST NOT take the full force of the throtttle linkage or it
will break. You might have to clean the throttle plates and air
passages especially if there was a lot of leakage which brings in
dirt. The throttle plates should be stopped by the set screw before
they hit the sides of the air passages hard but they should be fully
closed also. Then you can adjust the idle micro so it clicks and then
just a little bit more. The entire throttle linkage should move
smoothly without sticking and the springs should return everything to
idle every time. There should also not be much play in the linkage so
you have the maximum amount of control. You can also check that you
get full control ie: have someone hold the accelerator pedal all the
way down. While they hold it there you look to make sure the throtle
plates fully open and the throttle spool activates the W.O.T. micro.
Sometimes the carpets or floor mats prevent this and sometimes the
pedal linkage bends so you don't get the full travel.

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 05:47:51 -0800
From: "Jim Ray" <King_Tutt2000_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: New Magazine?

  Sounds Cool,
     What is the address to DCS Magazine subscription?

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:29:24 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Blinking side marker lights

What modification did you do? I did one on mine but I'm not sure it
is the same one you did.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:06:08 -0000
From: "ricthiem" <rthiem_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Dimmer switch

is the dimmer-turn signal switch specific to the DMC? Column is
Saginaw so maybe some detroit Iron?
     TIA
     Ric

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:30:37 -0800
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: (unknown)

>   Hey There,
>      Any one know what the replacement muffler is recommended for the
> Delorean?
> I would like to find a staineless steel free-flo that replaces my rusty
one.
> Is there a company that sell's one???

There are several places that make custom mufflers. I had a polished
stainless muffler made for my DeLorean by a Florida company:
 Stainless Specialties
Phone: 772-589-4190
They can make anything you want. I elected to expand the system to 2 1/2"
piping. You do need to supply them with a sketch showing exactly what you
want including dimensions.  The downside was that the muffler was just too
loud for the DeLorean. To adjust it I bought a pair of Car Chemistry
unrestricting baffle inserts  from Summit Racing and welded them into the 90
degree tail pipes right where they exit the muffler. I'm quite happy with
the results.  At the time, April, 2002, the muffler cost just under $300
including shipping. The rest, stainless piping, clamps, exhaust tips, and
baffle inserts plus their related shipping costs brought my total to about
$550 and I had to do all the welding and installing. It involved fabricating
new exhaust system hangers and such but I'm happy with the results. Sounds
good and, I belive, a noticable performance increase.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:35:03 EST
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New Magazine?

It is the DeLorean Car Show magazine that Ken and Josh produce.   Go to
www.deloreancarshow.com and subscribe today!

Patrick

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:52:24 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Jim

Yes - from www.stainless-exhaust.com They make to order and ship all
over the world. We have just got one in for a customer's car and once
again I'm struck by how well made it is. The price is 650 for the
non-cat version and 950 for the catted version (twin free-flowing cats
- these are interchangable) + applicable taxes in either case. The
system  comprises a rear box with twin inlets, two headers to replace
the manifolds, and two connecting pipes or cats. Everything mounts to
original hardware with the added bonus that the headers have been made
with 4 mounts per port meaning it's not the end of the world if you snap
a stud off, alternatively you can choose to use all 4 mounts to extend
the life of the manifold gaskets.

The choices you make are how noisy you want it (the noisy one really
does sound like the BTTF car in the film), and whether you want it
polished or not.

Martin
DMUK (we do not sell the system direct)

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:26:09 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: idle yet again

In a message dated 11/15/03 10:17:07 AM Central Standard Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

> Ok- high idle question for the list yet again.

I had problems in this area for a long time.  the main things i found that
gave me troubles were the idle speed switch was bad but it was so hard to
diagnose because it was intermittent when it was tapped with a screwdriver.  my
digital multimeter wasn't sensitive enough to register the change in operation.
replaced the switch, works good as new.

also make sure your ignition solenoid works correctly,  you'll only be sure
if you use a timing light to check it out.  if the vacuum connections are
wrong, it will not work like it should, obviously.

get that vacuum leak fixed first, then keep testing other parts and let us
know what you find.

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:39:24 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

My car, 6530, idles irregularly and at 900 - 1200 with both the idle
speed screw and the ECU screw out all the way.  Am I screwed up?

Dave and 6530

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:52:31 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Dummy Switch Uses

I have just posted a couple of pictures of what I have used one of my
Dummy Switches for.  It has 4 LEDs and a key operated switch.  The
LEDs are for the alarm, to monitor the automatic transmission
solenoids and to indicate if the "door launchers" are enabled.  The
key operated switch disables the door launchers.

Overkill perhaps, but just one example of what can be done.  I
encourage others to upload and share their ideas.

Dave and 6530

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 00:13:26 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

Actually I really expected your suggestion to be...."One piece at a
time!"
Stephen
Vin 3601

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:46:36 -0000
From: "supermattthehero" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: What to do about hole in frame...

On my car I have a rust hole in the frame about the size of a half
dollar.  It is located on the rear part of the frame, on the
underside, at the wide section beneath the passenger-side rear
suspension mount area.  Any recommendations how to take care of this?
 One gentleman I spoke with said this part of the frame is not load
bearing, so I should just scrape off the rust and coat it with POR-15.
 He also said that its very difficult to weld the DeLorean frame
because the metal is so thin.  I would like to know what the list
thinks as a second opinion.

thanks,

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:38:04 -0800
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>