From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1781
Date: Sunday, December 07, 2003 3:47 AM

From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: "K. Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Re: DeLorean Transmission Gears
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

17. RE: Houston's Door Struts
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:05:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Houston's Door Struts

I recieved Houston's door struts today. It's the craziest thing... both
ends face the same way. I was finally able to partially unscrew the shaft
end of one strut so that it would fit. I can't get the other one to
unscrew though.

I thought about taking some heat to it, but sensibility prevailed and I
decided that I'm probably not supposed to take a heat torch to a
compressed gas strut.

So does anyone know what gives with this strut setup? Can anyone think of
a machine that I might find at a local machine shop that has enough power
to unscrew this damn thing?

Thanks,
Christian

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 04:17:59 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: delorean with 8-track

am i confused here, or is there an 8 track in this delorean

jordan 11613

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31830&item=2446352829

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:01:19 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Leather Seat Covers

For information, the seller, Lee Pattison (Patterson?) is well known in
the DeLorean Owners Club and has a pile of NOS covers. He trims
interiors for a living. Bare in mind these are 20 year old covers. I had
my seats re-skinned in full leather, and the fact that I had it done by
the interior trim company in Belfast who originally skinned them 22
years ago kind of offsets the fact that they're not entirely original!
(IMO anyway). They told me the only reason the original covers had vinyl
sides was a costcutting exercise and they were originally meant to be
full leather.

My seats are considerably more comfortable than seats skinned with NOS
covers. Hopefully DMCH's will fall closer to mine than NOS ones

Martin

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:29:06 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Brake Bleeder & Calipers

Group,
 A while back I posted I was going to the Las Vegas car parts show
APEX to look for new Delorean parts or sources for the existing
ones. One thing I found we have had several discussions on was a
European brake bleeder that works with the Delorean. I found it: It's
a one man operation and screws on to the brake master cylinder for
our car. The link is below to see it.
We are now distributing all the Motive Products which makes different
kinds of bleeders..
We are also re-building the Delorean calipers in house so if you
wanted something different with pads or color we can do that also.
We have located all the parts and can/are using the Mintex factory
original brake pads on the back. Mintex doesn't make the pads for the
front.That's also on the page with the new bleeders.
John Hervey
  http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/brakes-rotors.html

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 23:43:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel Changes

>Two front and one rear wheel which are of the middle series style, >light silver with the spokes at the center raised higher than the >later models.

I had no idea that they actually slightly modified the wheel design along the way! Roughly when did this change occur? All I knew was that the very early DeLoreans had dark grey wheels, and anything after VIN 1900 or so had silver wheels. I recall my VIN 10115 and VIN 5252 having identical wheels... or were they? What's the story behind the change? Here I just THOUGHT I knew everything about DeLorean "production" changes... lol.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:32:23 -0800
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean Transmission Gears

I'm looking at cutaways of both the DeLorean and Lotus transmissions and
with the exception of the ring and pinion being reversed, they look
identical. The only differences are 4th gear and the final drive gearing. 4th on the DeLorean is 1.05 to 1 and on the Lotus it's 1.03 to 1. The DeLorean's final drive is 3.44 to 1 while the Lotus is 3.88 to 1. The Lotus appears to have slightly lower gearing where it counts so I'd say by looking at this, all you have to do is swap the ring gear to the other side of the pinion. The final drive gear ratio looks like it would offer a bit more performance with a very slight sacrifice in economy. The only other difference is 4th gear being slightly lower in the Lotus but that 3.88 final drive is definitely going to make the car a bit more responsive. If after running with the lower final drive you think lowering the gearing a bit more may even be better you may consider going to a smaller diameter rear tire, say 245/50/15. This would lower things in a similar fashion across the entire range of transmission gears.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 22:10:18 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Bleeder

If you feel creative and want to make your own bleeder, check this
out. Turns out that the BMW brake master and the DMC brake master use
the exact same cap size. This is the design that the Motive unit is
based on.

If you've been to the midwest tech sessions you've seen this one.

http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 17:23:20 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: delorean with 8-track

Looks like one to me!

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:51:22 -0800
From: "Bruce Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

 The part sheets only show the wheels changing colors at vin 1884 but there
are definitely three different wheels. The early ones were a dark gray and
the later ones changed to a light silver color but somewhere along the way
the design of the wheel changed as well. The difference is at the center hub
area. Later ones were beefed up there and the spokes don't protrude as far
above the hub because, apparently, the hub has more material there. As far
as I know the manufacture of the wheels was always Kent Alloys so I have to
conclude there was a design change for some reason. It's quite subtle but if
you look closely at a number of cars you will find the differences. If you
look at some cars, mine for example, you find there are both styles of
wheels on the car. I had a wheel changed years ago at a shop and as I said,
the difference is very subtle. Dave Swingle was kind enough to point the
difference out to me and it's been bugging me ever since.

Bruce Benson

> I had no idea that they actually slightly modified the >wheel design along
the way! Roughly when did this >change occur? All I knew was that the very
early ?>DeLoreans had dark grey wheels, and anything after >VIN 1900 or so
had silver wheels.> Louie Golden

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:59:51 -0600
From: "K. Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

that's near me if anyone wants me to take a look at it. Strange-- I was
unaware of it.
It does seem the guy has done a thorough showing of the condition.

-Kevin

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 17:10:13 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>
Subject: RE: Houston's Door Struts

You should be able to rotate the rod itself in the cylinder.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 23:49:20 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

Back in August, I built one of these, from the instructions that Dave provided,
and was able to build the device pretty cheaply. But I did take the liberty of
modifying, and improvingthe design for my use.

I can say for certain that with only 15psi max, doubling up on washers on both
sides is total overkill. Drill, and file out the hole in the cap evenly until the
threaded brass pipe slides in by press-fitting it. The washer on the outside,
and the RTV will do a fine job of sealing everything then.

Also, to avoid more work, and to make it easier to read the pressure gague, I
simply installed an extra "T" fitting on the top of the cap. I can now read the
gague easier, and I didn't have to drill the  sprayer bottle. Also, if you use a tire
gague for the pressure gague, don't throw away the tire chuck. Hacksaw the
end off, file it down (concrete street curbs will smooth aluminum down with
little effort), and install it onto the inside of the cap, rather than using a nut.
That way, you'll now keep the fluid automaticly topped off whenever you
disconnect the adaptor cap.

Since flushing hydraulic brake fluid is *supposed* to be apart of bi-yearly
maintenace on ALL cars, the bleeding tool isn't one that you're going to use
once, and throw away (although I will be replacing the vinyl tubing after each
use). And, it is the best method of all to use.

When pumping the brakes manually, you run the risk of damaging both the
primary, and secondary pistons if you accidently bottom out the pedal. And if
contaminated fluid is present inside the master cylinder, dirt can lodge
between the seals. Plus, there is allot of room for user error if someone lets up
on the brake pedal too soon, or opens up the bleeder valves too soon. You
can suck both air and/or dirt back into the calipers. You can also have the
same problem with vacuum bleaders. And in both cases, you've still got to
stop frequently to keep refilling the reservoir, which increases chances of
sucking air back into the system.

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:08:40 -0600
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

It's definitely aftermarket. No Delorean was ever made with an 8 track
player. The original owner must have had a large collection of 8 tracks.

Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 00:21:07 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Unscrewing it? Just put the rod end on first and turn the barrel round
(as if doing it up) so you rotate the shaft insode the barrel.

Martin

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:42:48 EST
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

I agree, when I put on my struts both ends were facing the same way.   I
attached one end and was able to rotate to rod itself so that the other end was
facing the proper direction to attach.   Not hard at all.

Patrick

Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 03:58:49 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

That is correct. The only difference between the 369 (DeLorean/Ren30)
gearbox and the UN1 from the Ren25/Esprit is the latter is a cable
shift. Internally they're identical but with alternatives available for
gearing. The Ren20 used a 4.1:1 on the final drive if anyone wants a
drag DeLorean. Unfortunately not many 30's were made as manuals (with
3.8:1) and we all know the Esprit went out of production due to Renault
stopping making the gearbox components - good luck finding a 3.88:1
final drive gear and mainshaft

Martin

Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:42:57 -0800
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Christian,
I have had no reports on the factory original door struts not being able to
install them easily. To twist something with out messing it up, attach one
end and use the rubber strap tools that came out two or three years ago to
twist with. They come in several sizes and I'm sure they would break the
head loose. I use then to torque fuel pump check valves and other things
like that when you need to get a grip but can't put it in a vise.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com