From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1788
Date: Sunday, December 14, 2003 4:10 AM

1. Re: a few questions
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. TOBY-TAB update
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

3. RE: Re: DeLoreans in Nigeria? *warning*
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Automatic car washes- A bad idea?
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. DMC Bulletins Added to Tech Page
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:21:47 -0600
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: a few questions

Don Lucas Cadillac
3160 20th Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132
415-564-7400

This is the only dealer I found listed in San Francisco.
The Menlo Park dealer is:
Stanford Lincoln-Mercury
444 El Camino Real
Menlo Park, CA 94025
415-321-8030

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:43:30 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: TOBY-TAB update

Hello List - I have some important information that I want to pass
along for all interested parties regarding a bent bolt that was found
at a tech session in the midwest last spring.  The bolt was one of my
bolts, and had been installed by the owner.  If the owner wishes to
add anything to this post, he is welcome to (he is a highly regarded
member of this list).  The information that I was given was that the
installation was done with new "large" flat washers obtained from one
of the DeLorean vendors, and that he had put something close to
20,000 miles on the bolts, including hitting some rather significant
potholes.  The car's owner noted that the new flat washers were worn
nearly half way through the thickness where the sleeves through the
trailing arm and bushings contact them.  The bent bolt was eventually
sent back to me for evaluation.  I sent it to the original
manufacturer in order to verify that there was nothing defective
about the bolt, or the materials used to make it.  I received the
manufacturer's formal written report yesterday.  The bolt was sent to
an independent testing laboratory, where it was tested to ultimate
tensile failure to verify material tensile properties, tested in
double shear to verify ultimate shear strength properties, and tested
for Rockwell hardness to see if there were any variations in hardness
in the bent area of the bolt.  The bolt failed at a tensile load of
31,603 lbs, which translates to a tensile strength of 245,360 PSI.
The shear strength (using standard double shear tests) of the bolt
was 265,580 PSI, with a peak load at the breaking point of 45,489
lbf.  To get the single shear stress values, you divide the double
shear stress values by two, giving you a shear strength value of
132,790 PSI in single shear.  The minimum values for this grade of
inconel are 220,000 PSI (tensile) and 125,000 PSI (shear), so the
material was well above the minimums.  The Rockwell hardness values
were all in the range of 47.15 - 47.97 Rc in the deformed area of the
bolt.

What the heck does all of this mean?  The TOBY-TAB bolt is incredibly
strong, but even it can't survive in a loose joint where the washers
have worn significantly.  The impact loads and general pounding that
the parts of the trailing arm connection take on rough roads and
during performance driving will eventually bend any bolt that is
installed there, even mine.  The stock, or even "improved" bolts
don't stand a chance in this environment.  Bottomline - The TOBY-TAB
is the best that can be had, but you must still ensure that all of
the parts in the joint, including washers and sleeves, must be hard
enough to resist wear, and the tightness of the joint must be
maintained through normal maintenance.  I am looking into a new flat
washer material that I think will solve this wear problem, but the
cost may be nasty.  I will keep the List apprised of any further
developments.  As always, I welcome all of your input into this
issue.  Thank you for your support of the launch of this new company.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
Winged1

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:25:15 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLoreans in Nigeria? *warning*

As a seller, I can tell you that a lot of the credit fraud that goes on is
in Nigera, and Indonesia.
I have been victim to it on eBay before.
That is why you will see a lot of people on eBay with statements like:
"We only sell to the USA, no Nigeria or Indonesia sales!".
Be warned.

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:32:01 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic car washes- A bad idea?

As long as all your trim is good and the seals are tight you should be fine.
Turn off the radio so the antenna will retract, make sure none of your trim
pieces are
loose or else they might be blown off.
Most of the car washes are touchless high pressure washes.
They use mild soap.
However, I would not get the "premium" wash because it applies wax, and you
might
not want the wax as it would dull the finish and have the opposite effect
that it has
on paint.
On the other hand, if you went to an old fashioned brush or bristle wash
(if you can still find one)
I don't see what that would hurt, since there is no paint to scratch and the
bristles
are moving in the same direction as the lines on the car!
Actually, it would HELP if it DID scratch!
That would re-apply a nice brushed finish to the car!!!! - HA HA!

Other than leaks, there should be no problems.
Just skip the WAX.
Many will let you choose a "NO WAX" option when entering the code.

Hey man, it's just a friggin car.
A car made of stainless steel and composite materials no less.
It is a lot less destructible that your average car.
- Videobob

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 05:44:07 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: DMC Bulletins Added to Tech Page

Thanks to a very industrious anonymous donor, we now have the
complete set of technical bulletins archived on www.dmcnews.com (in
addition to the parts manual). Link from the "Tech" page or from
the "Files" page.