From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1850
Date: Monday, January 26, 2004 9:06 PM

1. Dead Battery?
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Gas Flap Hood For Sale?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Barrett-Jackson auction
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>

4. Re: DVD on eBay
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

5. RE: Gas Flap Hood For Sale?
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

6. RE: Replace fuse block with circuit breakers?
From: "jdub" <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. RE: Re: won't start
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. Re: Gas Flap Hood For Sale?
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. RE: Gas Flap Hood For Sale?
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Dead Battery?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

11. Re: won't start
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

12. Re: Gas Flap Hood For Sale?
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Gas Flap Hood For Sale?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

14. Delorean in need of help
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Gas Flap Hood For Sale?
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

16. DML Logo Decal?
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:46:25 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dead Battery?

Ok I just got my DeLorean back from the shop, I had a new micro
switch put in, a CD player installed, and a new thermotime switch.
Now where the idle arm is, under the air filter, I'm not sure of the
corret term. Anyway the arm seems to be stuck when the weather gets
really bad, like yesterday in the north east of PA it was below 0
from what I understand. Well the car will turn on but the gas pedel
will not move, if you force it, the car just idles higher and
higher. So I turned it off put the arm back where it should be, and
tried to get the engin to warm up. Well after 30-40min I was frozen
and gave up. Now the car started fine it just reved really high-
usually it should just be under 10, my car was hitting close to 40
so I went back and adjusted the arm. So I tried it one more time and
I finally gave up. Before turning the car off it was idleing at
around 20 ir so. Anwya being stupid I shut the car off and forgot to
return the arm back to the right position.
I got up tp day to see how it was. When I opened the door I saw the
lights were dim. I tunred on the car and everything came on for a
second then shut off. So I rembered that the arm was still in the
wrong psoition so went back, but at some point it must have been
warm enogh beacuse it went back on its own. Now I wnet back in and
started the car, five times in a row nothing, the electronics stoped
coming on at all after the second attempt, I just get a clicking
sound as I turn the key.
So I have to get the arm freezong thing fixed first, I have had the
car for going on three years and so far both winters I have had it
it acts up. So I know this needs to be finally solved. But In
someway did I possible drain the battery by leaving the arm in the
wrong psosiont or did I do something else possibly?

Thanks,
Darryl

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:59:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Flap Hood For Sale?

EVERYTHING has a price...

What are you willing to pay?

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:18:58 -0700
From: "Lauren" <LPLand_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Barrett-Jackson auction

Hello --

A question about the B-J auction has brought me out of lurk mode to
say hello and introduce myself.  I am in the market for a DL (albeit
cautiously) and went up to Scottsdale to see the two they had up for
grabs.  Kicked myself for not registering to bid and watched the first
go for a very attractive price, but the second (lot #202) shows  no
auction results.  Does anyone know the result?  It seems not to
have sold even though there was no reserve.

Thanks any info.........................LP

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:19:22 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: DVD on eBay

I got it and it is worth buying.

Mark

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:05:39 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

Video Bob,

I'll sell you mine for $65,000 and I throw in the rest of the car and
deliver it to you in TX.

You did say "any price".

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA
DOC-UK 357 Magnum
DOA

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:36:25 -0800
From: "jdub" <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Replace fuse block with circuit breakers?

This is informative information, I did not know this.  Thank you! :)

Jon

From: Dave Swingle [mailto:swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com]
Subject: Re: [DML] Replace fuse block with circuit breakers?

Actually you can get circuit breakers that will act as fast or faster
than fuses. The main reason that they are not used in car
applications like this is that they cost quite a bit more money than
a 50-cent fuse. Manufacturers think like this - "we can build a fuse
block for $6 or use breakers for $150; what's the extra cost on a
million cars? Will the customer notice?". But now that it's your car,
it may be feasible. Just make sure you get the right kind, generic
cheap automotive breakers ARE slower than fuses and could cause
problems.

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:50:23 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: won't start

Dave & Group,
If you don't want to purchase a CIS Tester, When it's here I rent it out for
$25.00 + deposit & postage.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-images/fuel-pressure-kit.jpg

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:34:14 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

[Moderator Note: It's okay to discuss flap vs flapless lids on the DML, but please do all haggling by private email.  - moderator Mike Substelny]

Let's haggle.
First, are we talking about a straight buy or a trade of hoods too?
- VB

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:34:59 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I'll just use my jigsaw and make one.
- no joke.

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:21:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Dead Battery?

It sounds like you have several problems. First off get the Throttle
Recall Kit. As part of the procedure it will explain how to lubricate
the throttle cable with anti-freeze so it won't freeze up as you
describe. Next it sounds like something drained the battery. A very
common cause is one of the plunger switches on a door not having the
rubber tip so when you close the door the 3 door lights stay on
killing the battery. Also if your battery is over 5 years old it is
probably shot. Leaving a dead battery in sub-freezing temperatures can
allow it to freeze, in a discharged battery the electrolyte is pure
water. If the battery has bulging sides it probably froze. Take it to
a shop and have the battery recharged and tested. Once you get the
motor running again you can worry about the idle. The sticking
throttle cable did not cause the battery to go dead.

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:32:58 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: won't start

In many cases you get get along without the tester. You have to think
ahead and go to the root of the problem assuming you would find a
problem with the pressure. If the car won't even start a little you
don't need the pressure tester to tell you that there is no pressure.
Once you rule out ignition (with a whiff of ether) then you know you
have to run down the fuel system. The cold start valve doesn't need
much pressure to get the car started so if you aren't even getting a
pop out of it you have to start with the fuel tank, pick-up hose, and
pump. The only time you really need the fuel pressure gauge is to rule
out something weird, like a sticking pressure regulator or a flukey
CPR. It is also useful to confirm some problems but the symptoms
generally will point you in the right direction, like a hard hot start
caused by a bad accumulator. It is nice to have all the right gauges
and special tools but the best tool you can ever have is your brain.
Think logically about how the system is supposed to operate and then
consider why it does what it does in failure mode.

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:48:37 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/26/2004 8:30:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

> I'll just use my jigsaw and make one.

It's not that simple.  But I think DMCH still sells the flap by itself.  No
doubt because it isn't that simple.

Wayne

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:46:55 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

That's actually been done. You can buy the flap door and hinge parts
from the vendors (still plenty available). Bob Brandys did this a few
years ago on his BTTF car. You have to cut the hood, but the pattern
is already there in the fiberglass. The obvious tough part is
flanging the cut-out edge over without kinking things up.

Dave S

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:25:59 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean in need of help

How aggravating, this is my second time sending this since I lost my first
copy. Anyway, ever since my brother-in-law saw my Delorean he's been telling
me that he noticed one at a mechanics shop immediately next to a supermarket
he owns in NYC. I was able to see this thing in person the past saturday and
it looks to be a good candidate for restoration. I spoke to the mechanic
that owns the shop and he said that the D belongs to a client who 'really'
wants to restore it. 'Why hasn't he?', I ask. The mechanic looks at me like
I'm a dumbass and says "These are impossible to find parts for!!"

Strike one.

I'm thinking to myself anybody that lives that close to PJ Grady, owns a
Delorean, and has never heard of him can't be THAT into D ownership. So I
took a look around the car. Mind you, it was covered in snow, but the
exterior looked to be in good shape. It had the antenna hole in the right
front fender AND in the rear quarter panel. It is a grey leather 5-spd.
Interior is pretty shabby. The odometer read 15, XXX and I THINK the vin was
10167 (I may have the final three digits wrong but I KNOW it was 10xxx).
This description was pretty vague, but again, it was covered in snow
outside. By the mechanics word, it has been sitting there four years. He
says he has dropped the tank cleaned it and changed the accumulator (but
later recanted when I explained where and what the accumulator was) so
expect a complete fuel system overhaul. It is currently NOT running. He said
the owner would welcome offers (which if its been sitting for four years he
either has gotten NO offers or has been unrealistic). Contact me off list
for the exact address and name of the shop, it is on Hillside Ave in Queens,
NY. Good luck, it'd be great if this thing found a good home. Keep me
updated.

Dom

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:55:26 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

I added a gas flap to my hood.  It was tricky and it  not perfect..  But
if you are reasonably good with metal and are patient it can be done,
especially with a  hood that is not perfect and has lines in it from
polishing too hard.

BOB

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:02:14 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: DML Logo Decal?

Is there an official logo for the DML (moderators)? I wanted to see
if there would be interest from the members of the list to draft a
logo for the DML that could be used with the web address as a window
logo for our D's (4"x4"?).
I would like to be able to display my membership on my car and be
able to inform the public and other owners of the great asset that we
have in the list.
What do you think?
Stephen