From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1851
Date: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 9:28 PM

1. Original DeLorean Retail Price?
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com

2. Arizona members
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

3. Re: Barrett-Jackson auction
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

4. no audio when the door shuts
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Flushing Fuel System/ Fuel Disposal
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Manual Transmission
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

7. Re: Flushing Fuel System/ Fuel Disposal
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

8. Re: Manual Transmission
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Re: no audio when the door shuts
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Flushing Fuel System/ Fuel Disposal
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Delorean in need of help: FOLLOW-UP
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. RE: Flushing Fuel System/ Fuel Disposal
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: Manual Transmission
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

14. Re: Re: no audio when the door shuts
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Calendar of events
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>

16. RE: no audio when the door shuts
From: "jdub" <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Flushing Fuel System/ Fuel Disposal
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>

18. Re: Re: Manual Transmission
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:18:51 EST
From: PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Original DeLorean Retail Price?

Hey all,
     I recently found a copy of a friend's window sticker he had given to me
long before I had my own DeLorean.   His car is an '83, port of entry was
Baltimore, and it was purchased at Williams Ford in Cincinnati, Ohio.   It says
that the total suggested retail price is $34,007.90    Doesn't this seem
excessive?   I thought that the average list price was around $25,000.    I would
expect an '83 to be even less $ than that due to Consolidated liquidating them.
Can someone clear this up?

Patrick Conlon

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:43:29 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Arizona members

I will be in Arizona this Wednesday through next Tuesday and if there
are any club get together's this weekend please email me direct.

Mark

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:21:26 EST
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Barrett-Jackson auction

Here are the results from the auction.  Lot #202 did sell for a fair price
however the car looked like a 12,000 car.

DELOREAN GULLWING COUPE
SOLD
14,580
2004-BJCCA

202 1982 DELOREAN SOLD 12,960
2004-BJCCA

Gary Gore
Vice President
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

<<Hello --

A question about the B-J auction has brought me out of lurk mode to
say hello and introduce myself.  I am in the market for a DL (albeit
cautiously) and went up to Scottsdale to see the two they had up for
grabs.  Kicked myself for not registering to bid and watched the first
go for a very attractive price, but the second (lot #202) shows  no
auction results.  Does anyone know the result?  It seems not to
have sold even though there was no reserve.

Thanks any info.........................LP>>

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 07:15:39 -0000
From: "mydmc5898" <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: no audio when the door shuts

Ok I got one problem solved. AAA cam over and we jumped the car to
get it stated. However Out of two problems we got one solved but
created another. I had a JCV cg player installed and it worked
without a problem. But since I had the car jumped if you open the
any or the two doors then shut them the cd player shuts off. Does
anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks
Darryl

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 07:54:14 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Flushing Fuel System/ Fuel Disposal

The D that I purchaced recently was stored with gas in the tank and
as a precautionary measure I wanted to flush it out the fuel system.
I am pretty sure I know how to do this but I wanted to double check.
What I was going to do was to pump in fresh gas through one end and
collect what ever comes out on the other side. Can any one give me
some tips on the best way to flush. Also where can I bring this fuel
afterwards to be disposed of? Thanks for the help.

Jason
# 2256

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:34:36 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Manual Transmission

While I was doing other work on my car, it was noticed that I have black
silicone sealant on the bottom seam of the transmission. Should I worry?
I know my manual trans had automatic fluid in it instead of gear oil
also. Wanted to get the opinion of the community.

Samuel

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:17:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Flushing Fuel System/ Fuel Disposal

Of course whatever you do depends on your particular situation but in
general if the tank isn't too bad try this:
Take the fuel pump out of the boot and drain the tank. Wipe out any
residue or dirt and if necessary wipe the bottom of the tank with
acetone. Of course take all apropriate safety precautions, like no
smoking, plenty of ventilation, rubber gloves, etc. Next put about 2
gallons of fresh fuel in. Now run the motor. This will flush the
system. You could look in the tank again and if it got dirty drain and
wipe it out again. How many times you would need to do it of course
depends on how bad it was before you started. After you get it so the
tank stays clean replace the fuel filter. You may also need to have
the fuel injectors cleaned. If it is really gunked up in the tank you
might have to have the fuel lines cleaned out and maybe the fuel
distributer too. Don't get tempted to use injector cleaner. It will
break all the gunk loose all at once and plug everything up. Modern
gasoline already has cleaners in it so as you use the car it will
slowly dissolve and clean the system out. If the car is running
generally it isn't gunked up too bad so this should be all you have to
do. You could use the old gas in a snowblower or lawnmower or another
car that doesn't have fuel injection. If it smells real bad take it to
a gas station, most will take it for free.

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:27:39 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Manual Transmission

Only a problem if it's leaking. Best sealant is anerobic, in this use
the RTV will leak (eventually). Just keep an eye on it and fix it
next time you have it out for something else (like a clutch job).
It's a bit of work to fix it, not worth pulling the trans unless its
a truly massive leak. If the ATF was not leaking bad, 90 wt will leak
less.

Using ATF in a manual is pretty common now, but NEVER in something
with a differential in it. Probably the best for this applications is
RedLine 75-90NS, not Redline MTL (MTL is NOT recommended for
differentials). Since your transaxle has a differential in it you
have to keep that in mind.

Redline's naming convention is a little wierd, "NS" implies that it
is intended for non-limited-slip applications, not the other way
around. I even called them to make sure.

Dave

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:02:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: no audio when the door shuts

Sounds like a loose/bad connection going to the radio. When you shake
the car it must jiggle the connection. Take it back to where you had
the radio installed and get them to fix it.

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:20:42 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I just went thru this. At each stage I ran the fuel pump directly
from a spare battery.

Drain the old gas out of the tank. If there is any gunk in the bottom
stop, take everything out, and clean it up with Acetone (yuck). Put
it all back together with good parts and pump.

Disconnect the fuel filter. Running the pump, run gas out the hose
that goes into the filter.

Hook the filter back up (replace it!), run gas out where the hose
hooks to the fuel distributor.

Tie the inlet and return lines together at the fuel distributor. (I
used an old fuel pump to make this connection, using the double banjo
bolt from the outlet side of the fuel distributor).

Unhood the return line at the tank. Run fuel back thru the return
line. When you are satisfied that it's clear hook everything back up.

At this point all the lines have been flushed and you only have the
FI system to deal with. In the case of the car I'm working on (stored
for 15+ years without running) the ONLY salveageable parts of the
entire FI system were 3 of the injectors. EVERYTHING else, including
tank, pump, boot, CPR, Frequency Valve, the other 3 injectors, and
Fuel distributor was junk. Frozen solid as if filled with glue.

Moral of the story - if you think that there is any chance that you
are going to park it for a long period of time, store it dry. In mean
really dry.

Also - as a point of reference, the car I got all the replacement
parts from has not run in 2 1/2 years and everything is fine. On the
15-year car, anything in the fuel system smelled exactly like paint
thinner instead of gasoline.

Disposing of the old gas - depending on how old (if it still smells
like gas you're OK) dilute it with fresh gas and use it in your
lawnmower. The really old stuff is a bigger problem, contact your
local EPA office.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:46:59 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean in need of help: FOLLOW-UP

I just called the auto shop because someone told me that he called them and
they told him it wasn't for sale. In essence they told me the guy who said
it was for sale (Ernie) really spoke out of turn and should not have said
that, he just wants it out of there (how could you blame him after 4
years????). This time I spoke to Mark and he said the car belongs to a
certain famous mafia boss' son-in-law (original owner) and that he would
only be willing to sell for an offer that 'blew him out of the water'.

The car is simply not worth it, in my opinion. I would imagine EASY 10,000
to get it running and looking nice (though I am not a mechanic, the interior
is in pretty sorry shape and the thing has sat outside in the hot-humid,
freezing-cold NYC weather most of its life). Let me know if you have any
further questions and I'm sorry have made anyone waste their time.

Dom

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:14:05 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Jason,

    Good question...and one I faced also when I got my D. Other members on
the list may have a better answer for you than this but here's mine:

I went everywhere I could think of (Gas stations, auto mechanic shops, Pep
boys, etc.) to ask about disposing of the gasoline in my D that had sat for
three years but was turned away. It was a real dilemma for me. I even
reseacrhed on the EPA web site. Basically there solution was to strain your
old gasoline through coffee filter and mix it with fresh gas. I did NOT want
to do that. Basically I ended up straining mixing the old gas with fresh gas
in a rental car that I just coincidentally had (thanks to a problem with my
daily driver). The car ran like crap for a while but it consumed all the
gas.

My solution for you? Rent a car...;-)

Dom

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:21:21 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Get the automatic trans fluid out of the 5-speed. It cannot properly
lubricate the final drive. Drain and refill with #85-90 gear oil. I
would drain and refill again after 500-1,000 miles. The silicone on
the seam  is normal but I am guessing the trans is moist, automatic
trans fluid is thinner than gear oil so it would leak out easier.

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:26:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: no audio when the door shuts

I had the car out for a little bit today just to give it a run from sitting. I had the cdplayer going and it seemed fine, it shut off on its own or it would stop during a song, it didn't matter if it was a cd or just the radio. Then it would turn back on. It also seems to begin to work if you push in on the face.

I called the garage I just need to get it up there, I was worried that maybe jumping the car could have done something.

Thanks,
Darryl

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:28:11 -0000
From: "gullwingmagazine" <gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Calendar of events

Dear List,

If any of you have events for 2004 (car shows, cruises, etc) that you
would like listed in the next issue of Gullwing Magazine, please
email me off list so that we can get the information.

Ken, you dont have to contact me... I already have Pigeon Forge
listed :~}

Ron
gullwingmagazine(at)juno.com

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:10:21 -0800
From: "jdub" <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I had that problem on mine turned out there is a connector right above my
left leg that was loose.  Try wiggling the wiring under the dash and see if
it comes back.

Jon

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:55:20 -0500
From: Michael T Twigger <marktwigger_at_dml_juno.com>

[Moderator Note: This suggestion might be illegal, depending on where you live]

Well if you own a lot of land just find a spot
way out the way of your house and tip it out
on a rainy day for after. Kills those weeds like nothing else.

If your fuel tank is out the car. Take it to a
high power washer. That will clean out all the gunk.

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:26:29 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: Re: Manual Transmission

I already got the auto-trans fluid out, and some 90w in. The side facing
towards the front of the car is a bit moist. It was during the draining
of the auto-trans fluid that the silicone was found on the seam.

Samuel