From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1853
Date: Friday, January 30, 2004 1:50 AM

1. Re: Teeny Tiny Ground wires
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: Teeny Tiny Ground wires
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Re: Teeny Tiny Ground wires
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

4. DeLorean Gold Portfolio book
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

5. RE: New Photos! BTTF-3 DeLorean
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

6. Shift Linkage Light
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

7. DMC in video games
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 04:06:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Teeny Tiny Ground wires

You are correct about the panels being grounded primaraly for radio
purposes. There is another underlying reason that you should maintain
the bonding and grounding of the S/S panels. In the event you have a
hot wire touch a panel it would electrify the panel and not blow any
fuses. By maintaining the bonding and grounding a shorted wire to a
panel would overload the circuit and blow a fuse. Now you would know
there was a problem and fix it. This is a little different from most
cars, this is never an issue on cars with panels directly mounted on a
conductive frame. The panels on a Delorean do not always contact a
ground (the frame) directly. In fact the bonding wires are undersized
for this. If you notice the wires are burnt, and not just corroded,
that could indicate a hot panel. The short answer is you should
maintain all the grounding wires on all the panels. There are a couple
on the "A" pillar near the top also.

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:22:49 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I don't believe that having panels "hot" is a huge issue, about the
only opportunity for a problem there would be a short in the side
marker light wiring.

Since I just took a car completely apart, I had a chance to see the
whole path:

The rear quarter panels are gounded via black wires from the rear
corners to the rear frame crossmember behind the bumper.
For the front, there is a black wire that is actually routed under
the windshield glass at the bottom of the passenger side.
This "lands" on the first screw on top that holds the right front
fender on. There is one of those "tiny" wires that connects the
fender to the lower end of the passenger side winshield moulding.
There is another of those at each upper corner of the windshield
moulding, and finally one that goes from the bottom of the driver
side windshield moulding to the left front fender. There is no
specific connection to the roof panel, it seems to be via contact
with the upper windshield trim. The doors are gounded through the
wiring harness. The hood is connected to one of the front fenders (I
forget which at the moment).

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:35:33 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

> You are correct about the panels being grounded primaraly for radio
> purposes. There is another underlying reason that you should
maintain
> the bonding and grounding of the S/S panels. In the event you have a
> hot wire touch a panel it would electrify the panel and not blow any
> fuses. By maintaining the bonding and grounding a shorted wire to a
> panel would overload the circuit and blow a fuse.
<SNIP>

There is also another reason that body panels are grounded. When
going to fill the fuel tank up, touching the panels grounds you, and
will discharge any static electricity. So while you're fueling up,
you don't discharge any static electricity around gasoline fumes, and
potentially cause a fire. Which is more of a problem with todays
cars, when you have a remote fuel door release, a plastic gas cap, a
rubber handle on the gas pump, and plastic levers on the pump
triggers. Which is why the panels on gas pumps, and the underside of
the handles are exposed metal, to make sure you're fully discharged,
when you grab the pump handle properly. And of course why you're
NEVER supposed to re-enter a vehicle untill you are done fueling, as
rubbing cloth interior seats an panels will build up more static
electricity.

Useless Trivia: Recent studies have also shown that older drivers are
less at risk, as they usually grab onto the A & B pillars to pull
themselves out of cars. Where as youger drivers in trucks and SUVs
are more likely to jump out, and avoid touching any panels at all.

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:02:38 -0500
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: DeLorean Gold Portfolio book

In case anyone is looking...
http://www.speednation.com/store/product1250.html

recieved mine in 2 days time. From what they state, they found them at the publisher's warehouse. only a few left.

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
Webmaster http://www.88-mph.com

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:57:05 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: New Photos! BTTF-3 DeLorean

Sorry I am replying so late to this post  (been busy...)

Someone I know took a similar picture at Planet Hollywood in Florida....

I have been to several planet Hollywoods in my lifetime, and often I
think the quality of the props on display are not all that great, and
often wonder if they are manufactured specifically for the restaurant as
replicas.  This exact same Delorean sighting in 2 different
states/restaurants sort of supports that theory.

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 02:48:55 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Shift Linkage Light

Hi.  Does anybody know if the automatic shift linkage console is
supposed to light up?  Mine is dark and I've been having a hard time
finding anything in the parts manual that points to a lamp.

Johnny

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:09:50 -0000
From: "Kramer" <jettaman95_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC in video games

[Moderator Note: this post allowed for informational purposes only, since I know the Grand Turismo series carries a lot of weight.  Please do not start a video game thread, or try to submit any sort of followup unless it adds information that has significant value.
- moderator Mike Substelny]

Dear List,
 Just a little piece of information to all of you who also play video
games. For those who own a Playstation 2 might be interested to know
that the Delorean made it into a game called Gran Turismo 4. Paste
this link at the bottom to see the complete list. Just thought I
would share it with everyone!
     Sincerly,
        Michael
        ~10610