From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1858
Date: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 1:27 AM

From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

From: "v_davidj" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "simonsays10002003" <simonsays10002003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

20. overheating
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Delorean in adult film
From: "pdmytrewycz" <pauld_at_dml_pauld.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:58:37 -0800 (PST)
From: steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Brake Bleeder

Anyone know what size the brake bleeder valves are?
Has anyone ever used a speed bleeder in their place?
See www.speedbleeder.com. Seems like this would make
brake maintenance a bit easier.
Steve Trimble

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:17:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Fascia color?

If you don't want to paint the fascia yourself, and it still has some patches of good paint take it to any good body shop and they can match the color. That's what my car's previous owner did right before I bought it (actually the day I bought it!). Turned out great... the body shop removed the fascia from the car themselves and everything to paint it.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
What color matches the original grey for the front and rear fascia? I
have the rear off so I might as well re-paint it.

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:51:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: lost power

The tank was full, I usually make sure as I did in this case that the fuel gage and level are accurate. The pump is fairly new I replced it in 2002 along with the accumulator. In the summer of 2002 I replaced the pick up hose. However the garage that did this also allowed the car to overheat and lock up until another garage got it running so I don't know the extennt of the damage. I've had the car back since March and have only had idle problems. We repalced the idle ecu and motor, along with the water pump. The car seems to idle hard when first started, but I have only ever heard one DeLorean and its been mine so I don't know what a normal sounding DMC-12 should sound like. The car also developed a problem which I just noticed to night and I wounder if these two are realted. When I started the car (its an OCT built and its and automatic) the car was in P and when fired up the car lunged backwards for a second. I shut it off and tried again, it again wanted to go backwards. I shut
 the car off and on third try the car started and idled a little hard but was fine. I know the transmission was rebuilt sometime before 2000 and the original owners claim that PJ Grady did the work not some second rate job done on it. But I was never able to confirm this.

Darryl
5898

The car is currently at the garage, I didn't trust it when I drove it to work (I work part time at a drug store only about 5-8 min depending on traffic) it shook and idled funny.

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:04:46 EST
From: billsfanmd_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Fascia color?

This depends if you want the dark or light color fascia...Several people I
know painted their's with the darker shade and they look great. I got the paint
code from someone who piants alot of them and then had mine done too by alocal
shop. It looks great!!!

The code is DBU33548 from PPG paints. It is pretty involved to paint them and
the first 3 letters of the paint code change depending on which chemicals are
in the paint and different shop paints use different paints but 33548 is the
darker shade.

Good Luck...

Mike C

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:06:58 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Bleeder

I've seen these in Pep-Boys but am unfamiliar with how they work. I'd be
interested in seeing this topic explored.

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:56:47 -0000
From: "v_davidj" <v-davidj_at_dml_microsoft.com>

( It's been mentioned here before but there are instructions to build a pressure bleeder at: www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/pressurebleed.asp. moderator )

I have used these on a different car, and they are ok.  They
certainly make it easier to bleed your brakes if you don't have
anyone to assist you.  I would, IMHO, recommend the Motive Brake
Bleeder instead.
http://www.motiveproducts.com

(At the risk of sounding like an advertisement...)

I think it's much easier to use and helps to prevent you from running
your brake reservoir dry.  I also think that you can bleed your
brakes faster with the motive bleeder than with most anything else.
Another advantage is, you can use it on more than ONE car (given that
you have an adapter kit).

I know that a few of our excellent DeLorean vendors carry the Motive
bleeders.  I am guessing they will chime in.

My $0.02

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, steve trimble <stevetrimble52_at_dml_y...>

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:52:27 -0600
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: Yahoo Privacy option...

I received this via another group and thought it applicable to the DML.
Circulate to other groups as appropriate.

NK

========================

For those of you concerned with security, you might want to opt out
of Yahoo's "research".

Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
are going - similar to cookies.

Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

About half-way down the page, in the section "Outside the Yahoo!
Network", you'll see a little "click here" link that will let
you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping. I strongly recommend
that you do this.

Once you have clicked that link, you are opted out. Notice
the "Success" message the top the next page.

Be careful because on that page there is a
"CancelOpt-out" button that, if clicked, will *undo* the opt-out.
Feel free to forward this to other groups.

This is something NEW, not the regular stuff where you just check the
boxes.

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:14:04 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: DeLorean steering

Someone please explain DeLorean steering geometry to me. I am
familiar with some terms: Toe, caster and camber.

Due to the wear on the inner edges of my tires, I suspect they are
pointed like this:   //  \\  (If you're looking at the car head-on)

Instead of: ||   ||  (Ditto)

Which of the above 3 is responsible for this, and is it adjustable in
the DeLorean? On the front end, are any of the 3 NOT adjustable?

My new tie-rod ends will be here soon and I'm going to take it to the
alignment joint up the road Friday morning. Before I do, I want to
know if I have something else that's really wrong. I hope I don't.
How bad could it be? It took several months of driving for the
abnormal wear pattern to even show up.

I have read the tech section of DMC news and a few other places and
find the explanations lacking.

Thanks,

Rich A.

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:54:26 -0500
From: "Henry" <henry_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: re: One more brake bleeder

I've used this item: EeziBleed with great results:

http://www.aep.bigstep.com/eezi.htm  About $35 from a number of locations.  Very quick and easy.

-Hank

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:53:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: lost power

If you call P J Grady they should be able to look up in their records
and be able to tell you what if any work was done on your car by
either the vin # or the previous owner's name. If the engine was
overheated to the point it "locked up" then you may have serious
problems. Some of the symptoms you are seeing could be attributable to
this. You may have blown head gaskets and/or warped heads.
 For the trans problem it is VERY DANGEROUS for it to act this way.
You should immediatly check the shifter adjustment to make sure when
you place it in park the trans is actually in park. It is very
possible that Rob worked on the trans but did he actually rebuild it?
Did he install it or was it sent to a shop that installed it? These
things make a difference.
 I would do a compression check on the engine and a combustion leak
test. On the trans I would do ALL the external adjustments as per the
Workshop Manual. Since it was overheated I would check all the vacuum
hoses, overheating the motor can cause them to get rock-hard and then
they crack and leak. Overheating also is BAD for the automatic trans.
I would change the trans fluid.
 Finally I would figure out why it overheated in the first place. What
do you have for the fan relay? Do you have any coolant leaks? Pressure
test to 15 PSI for 15 min. If the pressure doesn't hold you have a
leak somewhere even if you can't see it.

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:40:19 -0000
From: "simonsays10002003" <simonsays10002003_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: delorean rear anti roll bar

hi iv just been on ebay .com and noticed on a photo of a deloreans
rear end chassis and suspension etc it had a rear anti roll bar.the
thing is mine does not have this bar that goes from the one
suspension leg down and across the very bottom of the chassis below
the engine to the other side.is it supposed to thanks simon

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:05:44 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: delorean rear anti roll bar

Simon,

That is an after market rear antisway bar from Addco.

BOB

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:50:36 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean steering

Not adjustable. If your view is accurate you either have worn
suspension bushings or a bent/rusty frame. Or both.

--Toe is set by the tie rod ends.
--Caster (kingpin angle) is set by the sway bar and is not really
adjustable (expect by maybe bending the sway bar!)
--Camber is set by the frame construction and is not adjustable. You
seem to be demonstrating negative camber. Good for an autocross car,
bad for tire wear.

Tire wear as you describe could be caused by any of these - an
alignment is your best bet but be prepared to find some bad parts.
The only adjustment in the front that the alignment guy will be able
to do will be toe.

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:36:33 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean Indiglo Dash

I called twice and all i got was a computer answering machine, i even
sent a email about 5 days before i left asking for business hours, i
even double checked their website. I didn't have time to sit around a
phone and wait for them because i was always on the move, i did send
them a email and got no reply.

I figured since they were a business that they would answer their
emails or at least the phone since i was in town for 6 days. I will be
back in April and i will try again.

Mark

On Saturday, January 31, 2004, at 11:01 AM, gullwingmagazine wrote:

> You should be able to reach Ryan Gould at rgould(at)
> deloreanautomotive.com.  His web site address is
> www.deloreanautomotive.com.
>
> We just receive an Indiglow dash kit from Ryan that will be installed
> in our "Yellow Project D" and covered in Gullwing Magazine.  Although
> the entire install might not make the current issue coming out, we
> should a have a partial peek of the product and installation with a
> follow up in our next issue.
>
> As for the quality of the product that I see sitting in front of
> me... first class.  Now if it just goes in as good as it looks we'll
> all be pleased.  Keep an eye out in the next two issues for details.
>
> Also, for the owners that have always wanted to see something written
> up on custom wheels used on DeLoreans, dont miss this next issue.
>
> Ron
> Gullwing Magazine
>

>>> Where the heck did this entire project disappear to?!?
>>>
>>> The website is down, the files removed from the files section, no
>>> messages come back after a search except for Shannon's and
> gullwing
>>> mag's, no google results, the phone number I had is not
> answered...
>>> what happened?? I was all set to buy a set too :-(
>>>
>>> Michael

>  dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

>  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website.
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:03:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean steering-Alignment

In addition to everything Dave S mentions I would also add that you
should check the tire pressure, make sure you have the correct tire
size, and is the car lowered? Lowering the car will cause the camber
and the toe to go negative. Another cause of edge wear is hard
cornering. Toe can also do this but it tends to leave the side of the
tire "ragged" looking. Take the car to an alignment shop. Try to find
the one that the towns send their ambulances and police cars to. It
should be a modern electronic 4 wheel machine with lasers. Bring the
alignment specs with you. If the machine doesn't have Delorean in it's
database it can be added manually. Even if some of these parameters
are "not adjustable" sometimes you can do something by adding washers
or bending a component. In general though if these "non-adjustable"
things are out of whack it could mean bad bushings or bent parts. A
common bent part is the lower control arm. Ham-handed tow truck
operators can bend them by hooking their recovery hooks on them and
pulling on the arms and not the frame. If the problem is caused by
lowering of the car your choice is either to live with it or return
the car to it's normal   ride height. Not only will you wear out tires
fast but you also run the risk of hitting anything in the road that is
elevated like raised manholes, driveway dips, parking bumpers, etc.
For most purposes the only things that are adjustable (not counting
ride height) are toe on the front tires and thrust angle on the rear
tires. You can buy an adjustable lower link for the rear tires to
adjust rear castor but that is only really needed if you change the
rear ride height drastically. If the shop touches the rear trailing
arm bolts you may want them to replace them. You might want to get a
set of them in advance with a set of washers. Remember there should
not be more than 5 washers per side.

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:13:45 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

Caster: Looking from side -- whole steering knuckle tilted \ (upper
ball joint in front of the lower one) or / (upper ball joint behind
the lower one). This isn't adjustable on a DeLo. I'd imagine severe
caster variation indicates damaged suspension components.

Camber: Looking from front -- /\ (negative -- tires closer together at
the top) or \/ (positive -- tires closer together at the bottom). Most
cars have negative camber at rest because the natural tendency of a
suspension is to increase camber as the steering knuckle moves up
(over bumps, etc). Also, positive cambering is harder to control (try
walking on inside and outside edges of your shoes to see the
difference). Again, this isn't adjustable on a DeLo (cars with
adjustable camber usually have threaded vertical rods between the
lower control arms and other suspension components).

Toe: Looking from above -- /\ (tires closer together at the front --
toe'd in) or \/ (tires closer together at the rear -- toe'd out). This
is the only adjustment available on a DeLo, changed by turnbuckles
between the tie rod ends and steering linkage. Incorrectly toe'd cars
have a tendency to "gallop", creating wavy wear patterns on the edges
of the tires.

Hope this helps.

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:25:02 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Front or rear, the toe is responsible for most all adnormal tire
wear patterns on a D unless it has been lowered, damaged, crashed,
etc. My guess is your front wheels look like your first diagram -
from the top - down being vehicle forward travel. That is, toe-out.

The typical stock D front-end rests above the recommended 5.5 inches
height for alignment so I would suspect the actual readings of the
camber are positive or \\ // from the front. Putting some weight in
the trunk to lower the front-end to the correct height should bring
the readings closer or into spec or || ||. At least you will know
what they are even though you cannot adjust the camber or caster -
according to the manual.

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:09:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Darryl Givens <mydmc5898_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I called PJ Grady awhile ago close to two years when I first bought my D. From what I was told by the previous owner is that the garage I currently take the car to is the one in which the trans was put back in. But PJ Grady's apprenelty only rebuilt it. I called and gave them two names but they didn't have anything. The trans never gave me a problem until a little while age.
The deal with the lock up was that these other guys who worked/messed up my car allowed the car to run, when I told them the cooling fans were not coming on all the time. They turned the car on for some diagonostics and walked away only to come back 20min later to find the car smoking and turned off. I didn't find this out until I paid 1,181 for the bill. (needless to say we are suing them) My garage that it goes to got the car back up and running. But that was back in March I haven't drivin it that much we are still tring to fix everything they touched. But could the engin now be giving me trouble form this. I only put about 300 miles or so since I got it back. I did have the cooling problem solved, new thermo switch, water pump, and all new hoses for the cooling system but some of the hoses in the car are the originals form 1981. I haven't had the time (school and work)  nor funds (school and my Ford Tarus) to change them yet, but each part is slowley being replaced that is out
 dated or dead.
I also noticed that when the car was idleing in my driveway it seemed every now and then that it was about to shut off, the lights (all of them) would shut off for less then a second then flip back on, the cd player would skip and shut off then return to working. So I assume that there is some power loss. I have some records of the work down on the car since 1997, but I can't find if there are any updates/recalls done to the car.

Thanks,
Darryl

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:16:21 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

Thanks Dave.

Could also worn sway bar bushings cause this by allowing things to
move that shouldn't be allowed to move?

I'm prepared for bad news. We'll see how bad it is on Friday when I
have it aligned after I install the new tie-rod ends.

Thanks,

Rich

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:18:26 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: overheating

Hi Group.
Couple questions about this overheating business.
My car has several items on it including the air bleeder hose fix.
In addition, I've noticed that it doesn't have a stock antifreeze
tank, though it appears quite similar, and strangely, it has a
secondary antifreeze tank.  That is, the overflow hose from the
antifreeze tank goes to a second smaller antifreeze tank on the left
side of the trunk.  that second one then has a vented hose.
apparentely someone had their own idea of how to solve the over
heating problem.
Anyway,  The other day I drove the Delorean, then let it sit and run
a bit.  the car first heated to the middle (220, still in the white)
previously the fans would kick on around this point.. No fans...and
engine continued to heat to the point it was going to overheat and
still NO FANS.. so.. I LET IT GET COMPLETELY COLD.  Then, as per the
advice of Mr. Hervey, I took the cap off of the antifreeze tank and
started the car and let it run for awhile.. I could see the
antifreeze circulating.  I then drove the car a bit and let it sit
and it begin heating up..
It then heated up to 220 (Right in the middle) and when it went above
this, the fans kicked on and cooled it down to just below that center
point..  so what gives?  I thought if it had air the airbleeder hose
would bleed the air?  Any ideas besides air.. and also, is it normal
that fans should kick on right when it goes above the center line?
If not, where should they turn on?
No, I do not see any antifreeze in the exhaust, plus, I've got new
head gaskets and the oil appears very clean so I don't suspect a leak
there.

Thanks
Dale Funk

Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 03:42:56 -0000
From: "pdmytrewycz" <pauld_at_dml_pauld.net>
Subject: Delorean in adult film

I thought I would bring this to everyone's attention. Please bear in
mind I'm not trying to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities. I'm
merely posting information that may be of interest to the group.

I'm a fan of adult films of the mid-late-70's and (very) early 80's.
One of the more well-known starlets of that period was Shauna Grant. I
recently downloaded a movie she starred in, imaginatively titled "Bad
Girls". Towards the end of the movie, there's a scene (vaguely
reminiscent of Dustin Hoffman's "The Graduate") in which two guys are
trying to get to a church to stop a wedding. Their VW Beetle breaks
down and they try to flag down several cars. The car that eventually
stops to help these guys out is a Delorean! (Of course, driven by a
good-looking woman.) The guys feign amazement at this relatively
high-tech car, even going so far as to raise their eyebrows and marvel
at the gullwing doors. They convince the woman to give them a ride,
and actually try to cram themselves BOTH into the passenger seat.
There's a pretty classic (in the adult-film-ridiculous-storyline
sense) bit wherein she refuses to take them any further until they,
uh..."remit payment" of some sort.

Anyway, I have deduced the following:
The movie was made in '82 or '83 because Shauna Grant committed
suicide in 1984 at the age of 20. That means the car was relatively
new. I couldn't see enough detail to make out any distinguishing
model-year features (such as gas flap, hood grooves, "Delorean" badge,
etc.) You can't even really tell if it's an automatic or 5-speed. I'm
pretty sure it was grey interior though.

Alas, I accidentally deleted the movie from my computer the other day.
I had planned to put the Delorean part up on my website for everyone
to see. (It's pretty harmless outside of the context of the movie.) I
may try to download it again and re-capture the Delorean scene if
there is enough interest in the group. Let's not raise the ire of the
moderator though; email me off-list and I'll decide if there's enough
people interested to make the task worthwhile.

Thanks, Paul D.
no VIN...yet