From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1861
Date: Friday, February 06, 2004 9:35 AM

1. Re: Locked out of car!! Keys inside. Anyway to get in???
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: Fuel Pickup Hose
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Alignment
From: "vin4258" <vin4258_at_dml_delorean.com>

4. Re: DeLorean steering-Alignment
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: DeLorean steering-Alignment
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

6. For Sale - 1981 DeLorean -MAKE AN OFFER-
From: "Jonathan Lazar" <jxace_at_dml_adelphia.net>

7. Re: Locked out of car!! Keys inside. Anyway to get in???
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Fuel Pickup Hose
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Re: won't start
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Re: Re: DELOREAN STEERING
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Locked out of car!! Keys inside. Anyway to get in???
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

12. Jacking a DMC
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Locked out of car!! Keys inside. Anyway to get in???
From: "Bill Lane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>

14. Re: DELOREAN STEERING
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

15. RE: won't start
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

16. Re: Re: Fuel Pickup Hose
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

17. Changing Coil
From: "giesel" <marcus_at_dml_forsberg.se>

18. Re: Re: won't start
From: advantics_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: DELOREAN STEERING
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

20. Re: Tracking
From: pastyman_at_dml_talk21.com

21. RE: Re: Locked out of car!! Keys inside. Anyway to get in???
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

22. Re: DELOREAN STEERING
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

23. Re: DELOREAN STEERING
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 00:52:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Locked out of car!! Keys inside. Anyway to get in???

This would be a neat way to unlock the doors except that to remove the
"T" panel you have to open the doors to get to the 3 screws on the
foward edge on each side. You should not be able to move the lever to
lock the doors when the doors are open. Therefore you should not be
able to close the doors in a locked position, the doors should only be
lockable when they are actually closed. This means that you have
bigger problems than just getting the doors open. When you finally get
inside you will probably have to adjust the linkage inside the doors
to prevent this from happening again. You should also have at least 1
extra key. The way to get in is to use a long slim tool through the
"toll" window and hit the lever into the unlock position. Try both
doors. Maybe the doors aren't really locked, you may be able to pull
one of the doors open. On one car I worked on the seatbelt had gotten
caught in the door and by pulling hard I was able to open the door. It
behaved like it was locked.

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 00:40:12 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pickup Hose

Why don't you just return the bad cores? Then the charge makes no
difference. Are you saving old bad parts for some reason?

Dave S

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 00:56:45 -0000
From: "vin4258" <vin4258_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Alignment

Speaking of getting an alignment- should we take our cars to any
tire shop to get an alignment, or should we have the procedure
called for in the tech manual performed?

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:02:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean steering-Alignment

The only way to really measure the shims is to remove them and use a
micrometer to measure each one. It sounds like you are right at the
edge on the right side. I would have an alignment done anyway. It
could be that some of the shims are not 1/16" so you really are not
over the 5/16". In any case to do this right get a new set of trailing
arm bolts and a set of shims. The shims do tend to "crush down" so
replacing them can't hurt. I have seen some cars with "soft" shims
that squeeze out under torque. Many shops will put in what they have
lying around and the shims they use are not always correct. There
really shouldn't be any 1/32 shims in there anyway, the tolerance is
attainable using 1/16" shims.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "simonsays10002003"

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:07:33 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Simon - I don't have a ready answer to your shim number questions,
but your message brought up a topic that I think needs to be
addressed.  I have seen a couple of cars recently that have been
aligned by a local alignment shop, and some of these thin shims were
added to the stackup.  The problem is that they put the thin shims on
the outside end of the shim stack, so that the "sleeve" through the
trailing arm bears against them.  The shims are not strong enough for
the bearing pressure caused by the bolt torque, and they "squeeze"
out of the way.  This allows the joint to loosen up, which means
certain death for your TAB.  I have been moving the thin shims to the
middle of the stack, so that the sleeve is bearing against the
thicker OEM shims.  This is very important to look for and correct.
Proper clamp-up in this joint is a "must", no matter what type of
bolt you have installed.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:09:06 -0500
From: "Jonathan Lazar" <jxace_at_dml_adelphia.net>
Subject: For Sale - 1981 DeLorean -MAKE AN OFFER-

Hello all,

For reasons beyond my control, I am forced to sell my DeLorean. Since I have to sell my car quickly, I am going to open it up to any *reasonable* offers. Please read all of the information on my website and view all of the photos (these were taken yesterday).

The car runs, idles, drives, shifts, and stops likes it should. It's a great daily driver in excellent mechanical shape. All it needs is some cosmetic work on the interior for this car to be perfect.

1981 (no gas flap)
gray leather
5 speed manual transmission
43,850 miles

Thanks and please email me privately.
Jonathan

http://home.adelphia.net/~jxace/index.htm

if this link doesn't work, try:
http://users.adelphia.net/~jxace/index.htm

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:30:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Of course, if you can't get the door open, you would
need to damage the T section to remove it.

<SNIP>

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 02:45:09 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I have never heard of a fuel pick-up hose causing a noise. What sort
of sound do you hear?

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jason Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_t...> wrote:
>          List,
>                 The last time I drove my car before putting it up
for winter it started making
> a sound from up front somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was my fuel
pickup hose but haven't
> pulled it to see yet since I really don't like being out in the
freezing cold. Anyway, I'm
> going to check it out before I get the car out again for spring
and was wondering what
> else I might check while I'm messing around in there. I've had the
car for about 3 1/2 years
> and have never messed with anything to do with the fuel system.
Not to stir a war between
> vendors but who's got the best deal on an aftermarket pickup hose?
Any precautions
> I should take before doing anything? Any advice or tips? Email me
off list if you like at
> rowejj(at)tds.net
>                                        Thanks in
advance...............Jason #5903

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:10:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: won't start

After "shotgunning" the fuel system you STILL can't get it to start?
Maybe you should have diagnosed the problem before you threw all those
expensive parts at it! What was the history of the car just before you
couldn't start it? Did you check if you have spark? The fuel
distributer you replaced could be WAY out of adjustment. Did you hook
up all the fuel lines and vacuum hoses correctly? Now, not only do you
have to figure out what the origional problem was, you have to suspect
ALL the parts and work you just did.
David Teitelbaum

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 19:16:36 -0800 (PST)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DELOREAN STEERING

Tires rub!
Which way is right side up on the anti-sway bar?  ANYONE....So I can tell if it is installed upside down or not.
I've had the car now four years and never really noticed it before but then again I never really looked.  All work done on the car before I had it was done by the JAG SHOP so anything is possible, I guess!

David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net> wrote:
If the tires are rubbing on the sway bar it is possible that the sway
bar is installed UPSIDE DOWN! We saw this once before on a car at one
of our Spring Tech Sessions. Everything looks OK till you turn the wheels.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, John Podlewski
wrote:
> Tires rub on front sway bar they are relatively new so are tie rod
ends also installed new rack and pinion. Size is correct P195/60R14
so what gives????? I do need to get the alignment done but I doubt
that could be the cause could it?????

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 03:43:01 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

When I locked my keys in my car-I put my palms on the passenger
sliding glass, and kind of pushed downwards and inwards. It popped
down and in enough to slip a wire bent to a hook at the end to fish in
and retrieve the keys-mine were in the ignition so I had the trouble
of pulling them out and etc. With my doors closed sometimes opening my
passenger side triggers the lock and jams the doors on my car, well
this happened while I was trying to enter to grab the keys from the
ignition-unfortunitly I forgot about my little locking problem-ANYWAY-
This
method did not damage the window and I'm not sure what happened that
it is able to pop down and in like that-perhaps it was going off
track. Even after all the window still works like a charm:). Its worth
a try.

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:06:14 EST
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Jacking a DMC

Well I'm glad I know how to jack a DMC now...

"I heard a clever way of unlocking the doors a few weeks/months ago... The
message (which evades me now) says that hitting the fibreglass just in
front of the inertia switch (to the rear of the driver's wheel) can make
the inertia switch trip.  The switch cuts the ground to the fuel pump,
but also disengages the door locks as a sort of "safety feature"."

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:38:58 -0500
From: "Bill Lane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>

Joe,

Just call a locksmith to come out and unlock the car!

Bill Lane

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:04:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: DELOREAN STEERING

Unfortunatly ther is no real good picture for the front anti-roll
(sway) bar. The best I found is J:01:02 in the Workshop Manual. If it
is rubbing the bar then it is probably upside down. It is not that big
a deal to remove and replace it. While you are at it you may need to
change the bushings (pn 108998) and if you don't have the recall
reinforcment for the mountings then you should order that too. After
you finish you might consider a wheel alignment. It is always a good
idea whenever you do any front end work that can affect alignment.
Just before you go make sure that there is no play in the ball joints,
tie rod ends, wheel bearings, and steering rack. I don't know if you
can blame the Jag Shop. This might have been done by a previous owner.
Maybe you can look at another Delorean nearby?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:26:43 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Possible Warm up regulator or sticking plunger in the fuel distributor.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:49:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Fuel Pickup Hose

Harold,
A few months ago I found that my fuel pump was making
a very load whirring/groaning noise like it was
starved of fuel.I replaced my pick up hose which was
very soft and maleable.Since then I have had no
recurrence of that sound.So a pick up hose which is
kinked,collapsed or has a hole in it can certainly
cause the pump to make a noise,And a bloody loud one
at that.
Andrew
VIN 2883
Sydney,Aus.

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:37:24 -0000
From: "giesel" <marcus_at_dml_forsberg.se>
Subject: Changing Coil

Hi, I am planning to change the old stock Bosch coil to a new
"hotter" one. But  I am a little bit worried about  burning things
up... Anyone who knows what happens if I put a to powerful coil
on my D?

How many volt can it stand?

I found a couple of nice coils the MSD have, does anyone have
any suggestions?

/Marcus

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 07:45:27 EST
From: advantics_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: won't start

The car ran when I got it, then one day it just didn't start. I was getting
plenty of spark but no fuel when I pulled an injector. When I pulled the fuel
line going to the fuel distributor, I had fuel going to it but the fuel getting
in the engine was next to nothing. It would sputter and try to start but it
would just tease me. I had thought the fuel distributor and injectors were
clogged, and so I bought new injectors and took the fuel distributor and cold
start valve off my other D. Still the same problem, only difference is it will try
to start and sometimes run for 10 or 20 seconds but dies out as soon as I
take my foot off the gas. The few seconds that it does run it smokes a lot.
  I know I got the lines all back correctly and it helps that I have another
D to look at, and even swap parts with to see if something bad. It runs great,
and I have since tried some of the "bad" parts on it, only to find that they
work fine. I don't know these cars at all, but am trying to learn. I feel like
I'm learning a lot and nothing all at the same time. I have a plastics
manufacturing business where I've built all my equipment  from scratch, so I know
how to turn a wrench. But this has been a humbling experience, to say the least.
I guess I'm back to square one, with the same problem except a new fuel
system. I can't help but think it's just something simple, and I am at your mercy.

John 5326 & 1383

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:16:09 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

John - Check out message number 38238 in the DML archives.  This
topic came up, and there were several great responses to the
question.

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:44:13 GMT+00:00
From: pastyman_at_dml_talk21.com
Subject: Re: Tracking

Hi all

I am having my cars tracking looked at tommorrow, it has a problem which means it pulls to the left,
I think the manual says it should toe-in about 3 mm does anyone know any settings?
Because the car is now lowered maybe the toe-in should be about 2-2.5?
Any help appreciated

Alistair Uk
Vin 11622
Doc 326

--------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:33:24 -0500
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Locked out of car!! Keys inside. Anyway to get in???

Just a heads up to the list about this thread. I e-mailed Joe privately to
help him get in his car and he let me know that he had already got in it as
of Thursday afternoon. In case he doesn't post that info I just want to say
BTW that tip about hitting the body to activate the inertia switch only
works if you can simulate the force of a five mile an hour impact or more.
This is not likely with anything less than Paul Bunyan's hammer :). Been
there tried that.

Cheers,

Rob Grady

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:13:10 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

Just went through this myself. Check out message # 38238.
Good Luck,
Stephen
vin 3601

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:42:15 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

It is not unusual to find a D with this. Usually it is a slight rub
in full turn one way or the other. It is nothing to be concerned
with unless you notice a drag or a severe rub. It happens because,
usually, the rack is "off-center" because the tie rods were not
adjusted with equal threads showing - or nearly equal. Technicians
try to get the steering wheel straight, which is important, but they
will adjust one tie rod to get the correct toe. A few threads are
all it takes. Even if they are looking at the alignment machine
screen with a full thrust alignment which will tell them how much to
move each side to keep the steering wheel straight, the threads may
not end up not showing equal in numbers and thus, cause the rub.

When all is in alignment, be sure technician adjusts the tie rods
for equal threads showing - it is an easy final step. You of course
need to have the same brand of tie rod end on both sides.

Harold McElraft - 3354