From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1869
Date: Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:25 AM

1. RE: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. White DeLorean?
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: ALTERNATOR OUTPUT
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: Shock Kit
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

5. My just acquired 6667
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

6. Re: Hi !! starting problems
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

7. Deloreans in Sydney Australia
From: Scott Curnow <scott_curnow_at_dml_yahoo.com.au>

8. RE: freeze 12
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. Re: spark plug update
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Side Windows
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>

11. Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle
From: Marcel Bourgon <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>

12. Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle
From: Marcel Bourgon <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>

13. RE: Re: Fuel Pickup Hose
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

14. RE: Side Windows
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

15. RE: Coolant pipe 192482 and spark plug update
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: How easy is it to replace the dashboard
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

17. BTTF Actor in Dallas next week
From: "Stephen Clark" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

18. RE: Side Windows
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:28:00 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle

Jason,
Take a gallon of mineral spirits from Wal-Mart or somewhere like that and
put a hose on the bottom of your fuel pump that goes about 1" from the
bottom when the pump is sitting on the opening. I like the Wal-Mart brand
because you can see the fluid thru the container. Then your going to have to
hook up a 12mm banjo bolt to the output of the pump and about 12 to 18" of
hose to it.
Put the output hose in another gallon glass jar or something you can see in.
Then while you hold the pump have someone hook up the 12 volts to it and
watch it pump. Naturally be careful that nothing is around that will ignite
the mineral spirits. Even though it has a lower flash point always err on
the side of caution.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 03:32:10 -0000
From: "Nun Yah" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: White DeLorean?

 I go to entermyworld.com often and keep seeing this picture of a
white DeLorean that is pretty impresive. I was wondering if the owner
of the "all white car" is on the list, and if they plan on going to
Pigeon Forge? I apreciate any info on the car.
                     Josh
P.S. I appologize to Tamir, I can't seem to remember how to spell
your last name:-(

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:18:41 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: ALTERNATOR OUTPUT

It is really worse than you think. When you have a "Multiple Point
Ground" you have several circuits grounded at the same point. If you
now have a "bad" ground connection you have all of the "ground" sides
of the circuits together with the possibility of backfeeds from the
ground of 1 circuit into another. It can make diagnoses difficult to
say the least because you can have all kinds of failure modes. When
you have "weird" electrical problems the best advice is to just start
with making sure ALL the grounding points are clean and tight. Just
good preventitive maintainence. Good engineering practice encourages
Multiple Point Grounding"  to prevent gound loops but experience
teaches that it can fail in unpredicatable ways. On aircraft they use
Multiple Point Grounding but they also use redundent grounding meaning
that the grounds are also "bonded" together. On automotive
applications the theory is that the frame is the "bond" but that
doesn't always work especially after 20 years of corrosion, vibration,
and evironmental conditions.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:35:52 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: Shock Kit

Jim - This is a very insightful analysis of the rear suspension
geometry.  You are quite correct in saying that the best scenario
would be a spherical bearing on the lower attachment of the rear
shock, because of the rotation that you mention.  The very best
setup that I know of are the Carrera shocks that were available at
one point.  I believe that they still are, but I will have to
contact them to verify that.  The Carrera shocks have a teflon-lined
spherical bearing to avoid the twisting force (moment) on the bolts
that you noted, as well as a fully threaded sleeve that locks to the
outside of the shock body.  They have a threaded ring spring perch
that goes on the sleeve, allowing an infinite range of height
adjustability.  The only downside is that they are quite expensive.
I'll let the List know what I find out.  These are the shocks that I
installed on Winged1 when I lowered her down in the early 90's.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, jwit6_at_dml_c... wrote:
> John,
> The thought of solving the rear lower shock mount and coil spring
collar problem in the same way you chose, has crossed my mind. But I
was concerned with the stress placed on the lower shock bolt as the
trailing arm moves up and down through its travel. The trailing arm
pivots about the trailing arm bolt, and the travel at the lower
shock bolt is an arc, not a straight line. The lower shock bolt does
not remain at a constant 90 degree angle to the shock body, so in
the original design the twisting motion encountered is absorbed by
the lower shocks rubber grommet. Do your platforms lower bolt holes
ride on the steel collar that's inside the shocks rubber grommet, or
does it ride right on the lower shock bolt? Either way there is no
way to escape the twisting moment of the basic design. What is
really needed is a spherical mount bearing or rod end.

> Also, do your rear shocks allow full compression without the
shocks dust cover contacting the lower coil spring seat? Most off
the shelf shocks I've seen like the Monroes for instance require
that the dust cover be cut back to allow the required clearance.

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:01:02 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: My just acquired 6667

As you may recall, on Monday 2-9-04, I acquired my DeLorean and had it
trucked to European Car Service in San Bruno for fuel system cleaning,
starting and assessment.

I am advised it runs well and has been driven around a city block.  The
automatic transmission leaks and the exhaust has a roaring leak.

My garage will take on these matters as well as continuing to check all
other factors.

I may be driving it soon.

Best regards,
Roland Smith
6667 Oakland, California

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:11:11 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Hi !! starting problems

yes i had hot start problems before changing spark plugs wires, but
i changed the accumulator (from specialtauto :))))) and it works,
now i start like a charm when hot but i did it in 2 separate steps
so it doesnt have a link...

now let me know what you think of this :

tomorow i will start to uninstall all what ive touched, and inspect
all parts, gasket, change the rotor , distributor cap, change all
vacuum hoses, so do you want to guide me in the installing steps to
ajust all parts in the correct order, maybe its the only way to get
that ss car on the road. ?

n.b i also checked the timing and it was okay

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:42:35 +1100 (EST)
From: Scott Curnow <scott_curnow_at_dml_yahoo.com.au>
Subject: Deloreans in Sydney Australia

Dear DMC News
 Now Im a huge fan of the Delorean. The only problem is i cant seem to be able to find one here. Ive looked all around. I found one car museum in Sydney called the Harris Street Car museum which had one but theyve closed down. I was wondering if you might know where i might see a Delorean either in a museum or on the road or even at a car show around Sydney or even one for sale here. Please reply soon. Thanks.
 From Scott

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:48:01 -0800
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: RE: freeze 12

I work at an auto parts store and know that freeze 12 is junk.  it is a mix
of r12 by-products and r134a along with a few other chemicals.  it works ok
but no one will want to service it if they know it's in there.  it has the
habit of wearing seals and compressor bearings due to it's unpredictable
chemical makeup.

Darkstar

<snip>
I have also heard about Freeze 12, a drop in replacement for R-12.  I think
the
system will run better on this stuff than R134A.
<snip>

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:52:56 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: spark plug update

the plugs are bosch that come with the car

Dave Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net> wrote:Did you ever tell us the brand of plugs that broke. I want to make sure I
don't buy any.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:19:55 +0100
From: Mads de Bruin <debruin_at_dml_dia.eur.nl>
Subject: Re: Side Windows

Just recently I saw a DeLorean without sidewindows.
Didn't seem like he had structual issues. :-)
See this link: http://www.zidz.com/delorean_crash1.php

Mads
Netherlands
#02010

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:45:23 -0700
From: Marcel Bourgon <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>

jmlaux83 wrote:

>I removed the fuel pump and boot from my D and the boot is completely
>erroded, and I'll have to replace it. But since my fuel pump is out
>already how would I go about testing it to make sure it works
>properly?
>

>Jason

When I was having pump problems John Hervey gave me the best advise.
Get a large coffee can,
fill it with mineral spirits.  Clamp pump on side of can and set in
minetal spirits.  SEt hose on top and back in to can so mineral spirits
will pump back into coffee can.  I used a battery charger for the twelve
volts clamped it to leads on pump and voila la.
Marcel in El Paso.  John with Specialt t Auto is a great source of info
and great source for parts

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:47:57 -0700
From: Marcel Bourgon <mbourgon_at_dml_elp.rr.com>

jmlaux83 wrote:

>I removed the fuel pump and boot from my D and the boot is completely
>erroded, and I'll have to replace it. But since my fuel pump is out
>already how would I go about testing it to make sure it works
>properly?
>

>Jason

On a second note.  While you have every thing out of tank good time to
upgrade the fuel pick up system with John,s kit
marcel

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:44:22 -0500
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Fuel Pickup Hose

Hello Robert,

It sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too! How can a vender,
or anybody else, provide you with high quality rebuilt parts without having
a previously acquired source of cores? Use your common sense! It's no ones
fault you need to restore your car and drive it at the same time!

Sincerely,

Robert Grady

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:32:53 -0500
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Hello Andrei,

Sorry but I beg to differ. I had an occasion to raise a Delorean on a lift
with the back windscreen removed and was amazed to see the gap between the
top and bottom of the glass opening close by over a 1/4 inch!
If that doesn't prove it provides structural integrity than what would?

Respectfully,

Robert Grady

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:06:23 -1000
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Coolant pipe 192482 and spark plug update

John Z. is selling parts now?

---Dan

I just got off the phone with delorean and they no
longer stock this item.  Has anyone had to replace
this pipe which comes off the small hose on the back
of the water pump to the heater core?

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology."
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/hookedontech.armx

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:03:20 -0000
From: "mike_fm2002" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: How easy is it to replace the dashboard

Thanks Dave,  I consider myself rather handy.  I appreciate the
cautions about the two "sticky" areas.  Thanks again!

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 14:20:42 -0000
From: "Stephen Clark" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: BTTF Actor in Dallas next week

For those of you in the Dallas area and who may be fans of the BTTF
films, please note that actor/comedian Tom Wilson ("Biff") will be
performing standup at the Addison Improv next week, February 19-22,
2004.

Visit http://www.TomWilsonUSA.com/ for further details.

Stephen Clark,
BTTF.com

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:12:18 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_mchsi.com>

It's good to see that Rob is participating on the list.

Thanks for spending the time to monitor and respond to questions Rob.

Scott Mueller
002981
RNDOLA
DOC-UK 357 Magnum