From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1870
Date: Thursday, February 12, 2004 10:14 PM

1. Re: Side Windows
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Side Windows
From: "Andrei Cular" <acular_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

3. Re: Side Windows
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

4. Re: spark plug update
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

5. Re: spark plug update
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

6. Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

7. Re: Fuel Pickup Hose
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

8. Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: BTTF Actor in Dallas next week
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: RE: Coolant pipe 192482 and spark plug update
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Car Jacks
From: "dmcfixer2003" <randybell_at_dml_williamstownfab.com>

12. Re: DeLorean news search
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

13. Gullwing Magazine (Current Issue)
From: gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com

14. Re: DeLorean news search
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Deloreans in Sydney Australia
From: "Tim Ruckley" <tim_at_dml_timruckley.com>

16. Re: Car Jacks
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

17. Re: Continuing: won't start (Testing David T's theory)
From: advantics_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Car Jacks
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

19. Re: White DeLorean?
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

20. Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Re: DeLorean in tv promo
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

22. Re: Re: DeLorean in tv promo
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

23. Re: freeze 12
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

24. Auto appraisers in northern NJ?
From: Jason <jasonsdlo_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. RE: Side Windows
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 06:34:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Side Windows

Daniel Hugh-Kelly did on the 2nd & 3rd season of Hardcastle & McCormik with the
2nd version of the Coyote.

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/coyote/site_coyote/site_coyote.htm

Even had some of the door roof removed.

Shannon Y
16506

-------

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:13:18 -0000
   From: "bbbigray" < bbbigray_at_dml_insightbb.com >
Subject: Side Windows

Anyone ever driven with the side windows removed?  Structural issues?

--Ray

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:23:55 -0500
From: "Andrei Cular" <acular_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

Rob

If you say you have seen it move that much I will take your word for it.  If
the body is flexing that much why don't we see more broken rear windows? A
vertical motion like that would be a shear force in the adhesive which
probably wouldn't be translated to the glass unless you have hard rubber
spacers on top and bottom of the glass keeping it centered.  A simple way to
show what I am talking about it to take 2 flat plates and glue them together
with some RTV.  Try pull them apart, they probably wont budge, now try slide
them apart.  The shear force will break the bond much easier.

When you had the car on the lift what motion cause the flex and where was
the car supported?  I would like to try and duplicate what you saw.

Andrei

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:36:10 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

As most of you know, I installed full size power windows in my Delorean
doors.  This, of course, eliminated the urethane glued in glass window.

Did the change the structural integrity of the door?

We did test this question.  The stock door with the glued in window does
have a little less flexibility in proportion to the force applied that
the doors with the full size windows.

On the other hand, the doors 97 Delorean (without the stock windows)
work just fine and I have never had any problems with them for the last
7 years.

To put a little perspective on this, you about 10% more force on the
stock doors to cause 1" deflection than on the none stock doors.

Would this make any difference in an crash?. No.

A crash of any significance would cause the window to break and shatter.
 At this point, the window provide no reinforcement at all.

BOB

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:58:36 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: spark plug update

I guess any plug can rust. I am starting to lose confidence in Bosch
though. Rob Grady will not recomend the Bosch Platinum plugs anymore.
He said he has seen where they "blow-by" or leak between the procelin
 and the steel shell. Maybe the standard Bosch are OK, just don't let
water get into the wells and rot the plugs? The steel shell is
supposed to be plated to prevent corrosion, maybe it just is not
enough if water lays in the well for a long time. This is just another
reason to change some parts once in a while or every 20 years if you
use the car or not. No car likes to sit and not be used especailly
outdoors.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> the plugs are bosch that come with the car
>
> Dave Sontos <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:Did you ever tell us the brand of
plugs that broke. I want to make sure I

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:16:48 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

I would take all six plugs and send them back to Bosch and tell them you
want FREE replacements. :~)

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:50:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle

Hooking the pump up to electric and pumping liquid in a can is only a
go-no go test. If it fails to run then it can be considered bad. If it
runs AT ALL then you still don't know if it can provide enough flow
and at what pressure. The only way to correctly test a pump that runs
at all is to put a pressure gauge on it in the car. Generally if the
pump runs at all it will get the motor to run so if it does run but is
noisy I would replace it. Before condemming the pump you must also
check the primary regulator, suction hose, and baffles. A plugged up
fuel filter can also be a cause of low pressure. A better test might
be to SAFELY disconnect the outlet of the fuel filter and run the
pump, now you are testing the pump, wiring, suction hose, fuel line,
and filter.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:53:34 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pickup Hose

Well of course I want things to go my way! Who doesn't? ;) If I were
complacent and accepting of things as they appear, how could I, or
anyone for that matter change things to acheive gaining what they
want out of life?

I understand about the nesesity of core parts back. After all, I did
speak with you quite a while back about the possibility of obtaining
some custom barrier hoses from you, and you related back to me the
difficulty you've had in the past on obtaining the core couplings on
the hoses back. Which has in turn prevented you from keeping these
hoses in stock, ready to ship out. So yes, I not only understand the
nessesity of core returns, but also felt the first hand impact of not
recieving those back. But in my original post, I wan't complaning
about having to return parts, nor did I ever question the quality of
vendor parts. I was however simply indicating the inconvience that
was caused for a persona such as myself, who is in a particular
situation. Which is the sacrifice that has to be made to insure
quality control for the components I buy and install. I'm sure that I
could easily have used some crossover parts noted on a list or two
that are floating around on the internet. But take note. I NEVER
indicated that common auto parts store should even be considered for
sourcing out DeLorean parts.

Common Sense is a fine thing, in moderation. Common Sense told me not
to sell off a new vehicle with a warranty, so I could spend that car
payment on the restoration of a basket case vehicle that no one else
wanted, and that was going to require a significant amount of
repairs. So if I had listened to common sense, I wouldn't have the
pleasure of driving my dream car on a daily basis, nor would any
vendors have had the opprotunity of accepting my money in exchange
for the various car parts that I have used in my restoration. So the
way that I see it, lack of "Common Sense", and the personal drive of
my ego to keep my car on the road seems to have been quite beneficial
so far, for both/all of us.

Aside from that, I do not look upon my DeLorean ownership experiences
as a burden. I quite enjoy the fact that not only do I drive a D, I
drive it daily, and I have restored it at the same time. I do
not "blame" anyone for my situation. What some view as a predicment,
I view as a challenge. It's totally of my own volition, and my own
enjoyment!

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:36:15 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Most of the old fuel pickup system is rotted anyways and it had
fallen inside the tank, so I'll have to take out the entire tank and
clean it out. Also, when I took the pump out the pick up hose was
collapsed so that could possibly be one of the reasons why it was
starting.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:37:30 -0600
From: "Video Bob" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: BTTF Actor in Dallas next week

I live here in Fort Worth, (a few miles from Dallas) and I definatly plan on
going to this show.
I had no idea that he was a comedian, nor did I ever suspect that he is a
CHRISTIAN SINGER!
I will attempt to take my camera to get an interview with him.
I plan to be a TOTAL DORK, I haven't decided to if I am going to wear my
replica "Biff Future helmet" or the "Marty McFly Jr Future Rainbow hologram
cap".
I also hope I can get the Delorean back up and running by then!
(I had wrecked it and need to fix the facia).
I will let everyone know how it goes!
- Videobob

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:43:47 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Coolant pipe 192482 and spark plug update

All: Ill be flying back to the states later and will be in New York tommorrow.

Oh and hi Dan,

The use of THEY in the sentance would indicate a plural subject in this instance.  This could in fact mean that the whole Delorean family is selling coolant pipe number 192482.
However, it could also mean that im talking about DELOREAN motor company in Houston.  Ill leave you to decide.

jordan
11613

Dan RC30 <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
John Z. is selling parts now?

---Dan

I just got off the phone with delorean and they no
longer stock this item. Has anyone had to replace
this pipe which comes off the small hose on the back
of the water pump to the heater core?

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology."
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/hookedontech.armx

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:19:48 -0000
From: "dmcfixer2003" <randybell_at_dml_williamstownfab.com>
Subject: Car Jacks

I want to raise my Delorean up and set it on Jack Stands so that I
can work under it. The front area, doesn't seem to be a problem, it's
the rear area that I'm having trouble finding a support location that
will work.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:18:53 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean news search

On Feb 11, 2004, at 8:24 PM, Michael C. Babb wrote:

>  Between 1978 and 1982, almost 80m had been pumped into the
> company by the taxpayer. And yet, by January 2003, following 20 years
> of
> protracted recovery, the government has managed to get back only 20m
> (net) of its initial outlay. Put in every day terms, this equates to
> every man, woman and child in NI contributing approximately 45 to
> perhaps the most notorious failure ever seen here

Or, viewed from a different perspective, the UK taxpayers have
contributed approximately $15,000 to each of us toward our ability to
own perhaps the coolest car ever seen here.  :-)

I guess I can't blame them for being grumpy.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:45:25 -0600
From: gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com
Subject: Gullwing Magazine (Current Issue)

For those of you that have been waiting for the next issue (Vol. 2 Issue
1 Winter 2004) of Gullwing Magazine, it is currently being printed and
will be shipped over the next several days.  If you subscribed beginning
with the first issue, now is the time to renew.  Renewal cards were
mailed out at the end of 2003, so if you don't want to miss the next
issue, send in your renewal TODAY!  If you really want to speed things
up, renew using PayPal and direct your payment to
gullwingmagazine(at)juno.com.

You don't want to miss the technical articles on:  custom wheels for the
DeLorean, how to troubleshoot the idle system, and building an auto trans
tester.  This issue includes a "feature/cover car" and a great "owner
profile".  We have the story and photos on the recent move and change in
ownership of the NEW DeLorean Parts NW.  Also, a sneak peek at the "work
in progress" raffle car with an insight of the upcoming Pigeon Forge
show.  Don't miss these, and many other interesting articles.

Ron & Cheryl
Gullwing Magazine

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:33:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If they would have kept the factory open, they would
have gotten their money back 10 fold.

<SNIP>

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:59:35 +1100
From: "Tim Ruckley" <tim_at_dml_timruckley.com>
Subject: Re: Deloreans in Sydney Australia

Scott,

The one in the Harris Street Car museum was purchased by Lance Haslewood who
is on this list.  It is vin 10599 and is a factory right hand drive model.

You used to be able to go to http://www.deloreanaustralia.com which had
useful info for Australian DeLorean owners and fans including a listing of
the known cars in Australia, but it seems that this website no longer works.
I believe there are about 15-20 DeLoreans over here scattered accros the
country.

- Tim.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:54:18 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Car Jacks

Rear is easier than front, IMHO. I place the stands where lower
support arms join the frame. Are even molded protrusions that fit
cradles on the stands quite nicely. Only limitation is bit of a
squeeze between them if you're working in the bellhousing area.

When jacking the front, be sure to lift from the big frame, not
crumple extension. Place your stands there too.

It's interesting to note that on jack stands, the backwards
trapezoidal shape of our undercarriages (wider in the front than the
back) is really emphasized.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:00:22 EST
From: advantics_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Continuing: won't start (Testing David T's theory)

I was getting plenty of fuel to the distributor, but it was the pressure I'm
not sure of. You mentioned fuel leaking by the fuel distributor as a
possibility of poor line pressure. I got underneath to disconnect the drain hose and I
noticed, that in the drain line is a check valve. I could not find it on any
of the diagrams I have. Should it be there? Could it be somebody's quick fix
for a bad accumulator?

John 5326

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:41:43 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: White DeLorean?

If you are referring to the photos of the complete white out car
that were taken at the Delorean Motor Company open house and car
show, I took those photos for Tamir (he was unable to attend it)
and I did speak to the owner of the car for at least 20 minutes.

This car is owner and licensed in Texas.  The current owner did
not do the original paint job, but he has painted just about all
the parts that were not white when he bought the car and has now
given it a complete white out look.

The owner did put on DMC Houston polished wheels just prior to
the show, so I'm sure that Warren took the order or James Espey
talked to him at some point.  I did not get the impression that
the owner took the car on long road trips.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:08:19 -0000
From: "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I hooked up the fuel pump to the battery and I don't hear anything;
like the pump is not running The only thing it does is give a slight
movement when you first turn it on like it is trying to run but
won't. Could this possibly be a bad pump?

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:30:31 -0000
From: "Christopher Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean in tv promo

Here in the UK I did a great 180 degree handbrake turn in the NEC (National
Exhibition Centre - Birmingham) car park after it had been on the DeLorean
stand at the Classic Car Show.

This was deliberately done in a very wet car park and I chose a spot that
had a rather decent puddle.  A friend videoed this great moment but chose to
stand in just the right place so that the ONE remaining single parked car in
this enormous car park obscured the handbrake turn.  All you hear is the
skid and him yelling 'missed it, do it again, do it again!!!!'

Just ensure that the tarmac is smooth and greasy/damp or even better soaking
wet for the best results and minimum tyre wear....

Chris H.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:44:09 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

That "friend" was me..... I managed donuts and several handbrake turns
at Knebworth - and THAT is on video

Martin
(eruo performance upgrade)

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:10:42 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: freeze 12

In a message dated 2/12/04 7:58:50 AM Central Standard Time,
darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net writes:
I work at an auto parts store and know that freeze 12 is junk.  it is a mix
of r12 by-products and r134a along with a few other chemicals.  it works ok
but no one will want to service it if they know it's in there.  it has the
habit of wearing seals and compressor bearings due to it's unpredictable
chemical makeup.

Darkstar

Ah, now this is helpful.  If that information is true, then i will surely
stay away from Freeze12 and stay with either 134a or R12.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:10:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Jason <jasonsdlo_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Auto appraisers in northern NJ?

Does anyone know of any reputable auto appraisers in northern New Jersey?

Thanks,

Jason Pucci

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:19:06 -0500
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Andrei,

I believe that this "shear force" does not cause breakage because auto glass
laminates are incredibly strong when the force is spread ACROSS its vertical
plane. One of you engineer types might explain this better. The reason I
happened to observe this roof flex is because the car in question had been
on our lift for several days for extensive repairs. I happened to be
standing near it with no one else near the car on this particular day when
suddenly the rear glass exploded to my utter surprise! A careful
investigation of the cause revealed that one of the four rivets holding the
luggage net inner and outer support clips (L/H outer to be exact) had been
installed too deeply causing it to come in direct contact with the glass.
This contact on the SURFACE of the glass is what caused the failure. We
subsequently replaced the glass on a proper bed of Urethane adhesive and
merrily went about our restoration with little concern about it's remaining
time on the lift. We had found and corrected the cause of the problem and
the new glass performed it's load bearing duties like the hundreds of other
Deloreans that have "passed through the gates". If you wish to recreate this
scenaro simply remove the quarter panels, cut through the Urethane with a
Pneumatic knife, and re-install the quarter panels :). You are now ready to
raise the car. Our lift uses four rubber padded feet which lift the car at
the reinforced corners of the underbody which carry corresponding "Jack Post
Plates" so I know this is SOP. This is how we came to notice the tremendous
distortion of the body without the rear glass installed. BTW Urethane is
SEVEN TIMES stronger than RTV silicone adhesives so this explains why glass
and Urethane make an excellent structural component. I hope this convinces
you without having to go through the trouble of your own investigation.

Respectfully,

Robert Grady

> Sorry but I beg to differ. I had an occasion to raise a Delorean on a lift
> with the back windscreen removed and was amazed to see the gap between the
> top and bottom of the glass opening close by over a 1/4 inch!
> If that doesn't prove it provides structural integrity than what would?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Robert Grady

[Moderator snip]