From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1871
Date: Friday, February 13, 2004 8:22 AM

1. RE: My just acquired 6667
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. TIRES RUB
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. RE: Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: Continuing: won't start (Testing David T's theory)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. RE: Continuing: won't start (Testing David T's theory)
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. RE: spark plug update
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. RE: Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. RE: Re: Car Jacks
From: "K. Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

9. RE: spark plug update
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: Car Jacks
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>

11. Oklahoma / Kansas Delorean Association
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: freeze 12
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

13. Re: Auto appraisers in northern NJ?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Archived Message (John Podlewski)
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

15. Re: Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

16. "Frame Extension" Specifications
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

17. Re: Rusty Exhaust Manifold Studs
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>

18. Selling a pair of gray seats from VIN10486, good shape, little wear.
From: vahottub_at_dml_aol.com

19. hard starting
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>

20. Re: TIRES RUB
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

21. Re: Deloreans in Sydney Australia
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

22. Re: DeLorean in tv promo
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

23. popping sound inside body
From: Me <fleetofworlds_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: RE: Coolant pipe 192482 and spark plug update
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: spark plug update
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:33:01 +0000
From: "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: My just acquired 6667

Just a note:
One problem with these things is that the studs holding the exhaust manifold
are pretty small and often rust.  My car was purchased and started much like
yours, with a roaring exhaust leak.
Anyway, the bottom line was that I had to take my heads off to get the
exhaust manifold studs out.  This is just a suggestion.  It is not a bad
idea to replace the old studs with larger sturdier studs.  I realize some
people won't like that idea, but, it might make them easier to get off next
time.  That's what I did.
Sincereley,
Dale Funk
4984

>From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
>To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [DML] My just acquired 6667
>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:01:02 -0800
>
>As you may recall, on Monday 2-9-04, I acquired my DeLorean and had it
>trucked to European Car Service in San Bruno for fuel system cleaning,
>starting and assessment.
>
>I am advised it runs well and has been driven around a city block.  The
>automatic transmission leaks and the exhaust has a roaring leak.
>
>My garage will take on these matters as well as continuing to check all
>other factors.
>
>I may be driving it soon.
>
>Best regards,
>Roland Smith
>6667 Oakland, California

>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology."
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/hookedontech.armx

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:37:05 -0800 (PST)
From: John Podlewski <john_podlewski_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: TIRES RUB

Some time ago I put a post about my front tires rubbing on the sway bar and was told to check msg. 38238.  My Question is how and where do I find it?  Is it in the archives and how do you get into the archives because I can't find it.  I realize I'm probably not doing it right so exact instructions would help out alot.
THANKS!

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:11:13 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Testing Fuel Pump; Out of vehicle

As long as the polarity was correct. Then it's bad.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:13:00 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Continuing: won't start (Testing David T's theory)

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:14:49 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

John, If your talking about the return to tank line on the passenger side of
the car. Then your correct. It should not be there. Chalk this up as another
thing. How did people think of so many round about things.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:29:56 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: spark plug update

If you want to send something to the Bosch Lab in Broadview,Il. that you
really feel was a defective product, then call this number 708-865-5200.
They will issue a return authorization to track it through the process and
they will give you back a written report.Can take up to a month.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:32:36 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Don't run the pump dry unless you want to cause further damage or you just
like to buy pumps. It has to have fuel to lubricate.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:38:07 -0600
From: "K. Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Car Jacks

I would only add-- that you may want to use a thin but stable barrier
between the jacks, stands, and the frame. Otherwise you may contribute to
cracked epoxy and future rust.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:40:52 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I have never seen any plug that won't pass pressure around the insulator in
small amounts over time. But you have to be aware that some people will
leave plugs in the car till they rot and wonder why they get bad gas mileage
and the car doesn't run good. And as far a platinum, It wasn't the Platinum
+4 as I understand it from Rob. It was the standard Platinum single
electrode plug. Also, Plugs need to be fitted for the car as far as the heat
range and depending on your driving habits. Cold to hot in different steps.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:07:45 -0500
From: Samuel <samuel_yahoo_at_dml_lightspeed.cx>
Subject: Re: Car Jacks

I take a 2x4 and place it on a floor jack and jack up at the frame area
behind the oil pan for the rear. The jackstands I use have a cradle area
that the 2x4 fits into quite nicely. I also do the same procedure on the
front, just behind the join for the crumple tube.

Samuel

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:03:15 -0000
From: "Adam Lee" <delorean852003_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Oklahoma / Kansas Delorean Association

I have recieved numerous e-mails pertaining to a Delorean club in
this part of the country.  I am positive that there is enough
interest to get it all going.  I have many ideas and am very excited
about the upcoming spring and summer. PLEASE...ALL ideas and
suggestions (and yes HELP) are NEEDED! Lets get going! Give me a
call anytime at (405) 255-4910. There needs to be a Delorean club in
this region. There are way to many Delorean owners in Oklahoma /
Kansas /Texas that do not enjoy the fellowship of other owners. Help
me out with names for the group, possible meeting locations etc.
This is a very exciting time for Delorean owners in this region.
Lets start scheduling the 1st event!

Adam Lee

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:21:37 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: freeze 12

Freeze 12 i believe is petroleum based if i remember correctly.

Mark

On Thursday, February 12, 2004, at 06:10 PM, Soma576_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/12/04 7:58:50 AM Central Standard Time,
> darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net writes:
> I work at an auto parts store and know that freeze 12 is junk.  it is
> a mix
> of r12 by-products and r134a along with a few other chemicals.  it
> works ok
> but no one will want to service it if they know it's in there.  it has
> the
> habit of wearing seals and compressor bearings due to it's
> unpredictable
> chemical makeup.
>
> Darkstar
>

> Ah, now this is helpful.  If that information is true, then i will
> surely
> stay away from Freeze12 and stay with either 134a or R12.
>
> Thanks!
> Andy

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website.
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:04:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Auto appraisers in northern NJ?

For your DeLorean?  You could have PJGrady do it.

I know these guys- http://www.insclaimservices.com/

If your further south, you could use Monogram
Insurance Services, in Aberdeen NJ.  They have a web
site too, but I cant find it!

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:48:43 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Archived Message (John Podlewski)

If you read the List through Yahoo, click on "Messages" (left hand
option bar) for full page message listing. In the header now will be
an entry field titled "Msg #" and a "Go" button. Lets you jump to any
message in the archives.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:20:17 -0500
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

This happened to me just a little while ago.  The pump stopped working,
so I removed it and went to find a replacement.  By the time I got to a
friend's garage, the pump was working again.  I put it back in and it's
been fine since; i have a few hundred miles since that happened.

Having something small lodged in the pump could stop it from turning;
though the baffle screen should filter this stuff out.  Try switching
between forward and reverse voltage a few times; whatever is stopping it
from turning might break free.

It could also be toasted anyways; these things do wear out.

Jim

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:08:19 -0000 "jmlaux83" <jmlaux83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
writes:
> I hooked up the fuel pump to the battery and I don't hear anything;
> like the pump is not running The only thing it does is give a slight
>
> movement when you first turn it on like it is trying to run but
> won't. Could this possibly be a bad pump?

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:55:15 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: "Frame Extension" Specifications

Perhaps someone can help me here, I am trying to locate all the
specifications on the front end frame extension. My front end is a
little warped and crumpled- I am trying to fix it up, but I cannot do
this without original-exact specifications. I believe I can fix this
to original stregnth and perhaps beyond. As it is now, if I take the
car out on the road it will most definitly crumple down and damage the
car. If someone has a good condition frame out of their car that they
can measure, please e-mail me off list, these specifications
would be very much appreciated. If these are available online
somewhere please inform me. Thanks guys, perhaps 5003 will be road
worthy again in a few months!

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:06:09 -0000
From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
Subject: Re: Rusty Exhaust Manifold Studs

Stock exhaust manifold studs are M7x1 -- rather uncommon in carbon
steel, impossible to find in stainless steel. Those same holes will
tap extremely easily to 5/16x24 (24 TPI is almost identical to 1mm
pitch) -- very common in stainless. Tap will thread in as easily as a
bolt, which is useful for the studs on cylinders 1 and 4 hidden behind
the crossmember. Replacing carbon studs with stainless steel would
make future removal problem free. Don't forget the studs that hold the
manifolds to the crossover pipe (M10x1.5 -- also common in stainless).

>--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "D F" <funkstuf_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Just a note:
> One problem with these things is that the studs holding the exhaust
manifold
> are pretty small and often rust.  My car was purchased and started
much like
> yours, with a roaring exhaust leak.
> Anyway, the bottom line was that I had to take my heads off to get the
> exhaust manifold studs out.  This is just a suggestion.  It is not a
bad
> idea to replace the old studs with larger sturdier studs.  I realize
some
> people won't like that idea, but, it might make them easier to get
off next
> time.  That's what I did.
> Sincereley,
> Dale Funk
> 4984

[Moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:30:13 EST
From: vahottub_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Selling a pair of gray seats from VIN10486, good shape, little wear.

I am selling a pair of seats from my 10486 in gray.  They are in good shape
with no cracks, rips, or excessive wear.  The only spot showing wear is the
lumbar cushion on the driver side near its door.  This is presumably from the
sliding in and out.

I am looking for about 800 for the pair, please see ebay on Feb 14 for the
auction to start, but contact me before if you'd like to make me an offer to
keep them off the auction.

Thanks.

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:09:54 -0000
From: "delorean6584" <carburateur100gaz_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: hard starting

so...heres the news i completly remove the airflow unit and change
the rotor / distributor cap, now i will reinstall all that before
that must i ajust something in the air fuel mixture unit?? i checked
all vacuum hoses and changed the worn out, the others seems to be
pretty new, so to adjust the co meter must i rmove something before
reinstalling the airflow unit?? and what are the next steps in
réinstalling that to be sure the car will run as a dream ??

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:27:13 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Re: TIRES RUB

John - Rather than making you go look for it, here is that post in
it's entirety:

"The correct orientation is as follows: From the forward
attachment at the frame crumple tube, the bar angles down, and then
up, and then plugs more or less straight into the lower control
arms. If the bar was upside down, the angle from the bar to the
lower control arm would be all wrong. Do you have the proper tire
size on the front? If you use a wider profile, you may get a little
more chance of contact. I have seen other cars that did show the
same wear area that you are reporting, and they didn't have anything
wrong. There is a picture in the "techie stuff" folder in the Photos
section that shows a portion of the bar installed. The focus of the
picture is my front lower control arm links that I made, but if you
look beyond that, you'll see the bar orientation. I hope this helps."

To find a particular message number, you must be on the DML
website.  I understand that some people use email exclusively to
communicate with the rest of the List.  On the site, there is a
search box for message number.  You simply type in the number, click
on the "go" button, and it takes you straight there.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts,com

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:51:05 +1100 (EST)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Deloreans in Sydney Australia

G'Day Scott,
The car you refer too that was in the museum was
either my car,which I bought two years ago, or it is
Lance Haslewoods car which was also once there.
As for seeing one in a car show you are in luck.On the
weekend of February 21-22 the Pittwater Motor
Enthusiasts club is putting on the "Monster Motor
Show" and my car will be on display.This show will be
HUGE with hundreds of cars,motor bikes,trucks,buses
and even steam engines.It starts at 9am both days and
is at Pittwater Rugby park which is off Pittwater Rd
in Warriewood in the Northern Beaches area of
Sydney.So by all means call in and say hi.
If you'd like a ride in the car I'm sure we can
arrange something.E-Mail me off list and we can set
something up.

Andrew
VIN 2883

http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
Send your love online with Yahoo! Greetings - FREE!

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:32:35 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: DeLorean in tv promo

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> That "friend" was me..... I managed donuts and several handbrake turns
> at Knebworth - and THAT is on video
>
> Martin
> (eruo performance upgrade)

Hello Martin.  Would you post the video online?  I would LOVE to see
that and I'm sure others would too.

Richard

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:53:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Me <fleetofworlds_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: popping sound inside body

I hear this popping sound somewhere inside the cars body when I turn corners real sharp anybody got any clue what it is? It is not coming from the suspension so dont waste your time and everyone elses suggesting it.If I slam on the brakes and jam the wheel around it really gets loud.The frame is not rust damaged so its anyone guess.

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:40:22 -1000
From: "Dan RC30" <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Coolant pipe 192482 and spark plug update

Oh, I must have missed something... I thought DMC (DeLorean Motor Company)
was a car production facility that was located in Northern Ireland that went
out of business in 1982. Silly me... ;)

---Dan

PS- Since I'm receiving an english lesson, "THEY" would presume that
whichever "DeLorean" was selling parts, presumably John Z. since he is the
most famous, had an employee or employees helping him sell parts (which
would have to be assumed). I was questioning that John Z. was the "owner" of
this new parts distribution business... (BTW, it's "sentence", not
"sentance", and there's only one "m" in "tomorrow" :-P)

>Message: 10
>    Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:43:47 -0800 (PST)
>    From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: RE: Coolant pipe 192482 and spark plug update
>
>All: Ill be flying back to the states later and will be in New York
>tommorrow.
>
>Oh and hi Dan,
>

>The use of THEY in the sentance would indicate a plural subject in this
>instance.  This could in fact mean that the whole Delorean family is
>selling coolant pipe number 192482.
>However, it could also mean that im talking about DELOREAN motor company in
>Houston.  Ill leave
you to decide.

>jordan
>11613
>

>Dan RC30 <danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
>John Z. is selling parts now?
>
>---Dan

Check out the great features of the new MSN 9 Dial-up, with the MSN Dial-up
Accelerator. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:30:29 -0500
From: Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com>

Just outta curiousity, how old are those plugs? Could they be 20 years old?
I guess that could make a difference in their condition, couldn't it?

Also, you said you got 3 out of 6 plugs out- were the broken plugs common to
one side of the engine, or spread out?

Keep us posted!

Eric Itzel