From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1874
Date: Sunday, February 15, 2004 8:57 AM

1. Upcoming event!
From: "geek123y" <service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>

2. Delorean on Celebrity Spelling Bee show
From: "delorean66" <delorean66_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Reproduction License Plates for TIME MACHINES
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: spark plug update
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Michelin Pilot Tire Pressures
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

6. 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 for sale
From: "Ken Hintz" <khintz_at_dml_earthlink.net>

7. DeLorean Motor Company
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: freeze 12
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

9. Re: Re: Michelin Pilot Tire Pressures
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: DeLorean Motor Company
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

11. Re: freeze 12
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

12. Re: Rusty Exhaust Manifold Studs
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. Re: Re: Rusty Exhaust Manifold Studs
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:34:43 -0000
From: "geek123y" <service_at_dml_techno-concepts.com>
Subject: Upcoming event!

Just wanted to let everyone know if they are
interested in an upcoming DeLorean event next weekend,
information can be found at:

www.fldmc.com

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:36:44 -0000
From: "delorean66" <delorean66_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean on Celebrity Spelling Bee show

I was watching this show where they ask celebrities to spell words
in various categories. Kinda dumb, but one of the categories
was "High End Rides" and the first word was Delorean. Cindy Margolis
spelled it D-E-L-O-R-I-A-N.

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:40:20 -0000
From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Reproduction License Plates for TIME MACHINES

Just in case anyone is interested,
in my quest to reproduce some of the props seen in BTTF I have made
some of the most authentic reproduction license plates ever.

I have two available.
One is the infamous "OUTATIME" plate.
This is a 1985 California plate with "OUTATIME" on it.

The second is the 2015 Future plate.
It is bright orange with chrome bar code, EXACTLY like the one in the
movie, most likely better since the printing technology is much better
now.

These are mounted on real metal license plate blanks, printed on high
quality vinyl using a $16,000 thermal ribbon printer, and then
laminated with a durable clear laminate for protection.
Suitable for outdoor use.
These are museum quality in my opinion.
I put a lot of hours in reproducing these, searching for materials
with all the correct colors and getting them perfect.
Now they are.

I felt it was important to mention that I offer these for those of you
who have made time machines out of your cars, or are planning on it
soon. These also look great hanging on the wall or in a frame for you
fans out there.
These are great for parades and car shows too!

They are only $49.99 each with FREE shipping and there is a limited
quanity on hand and I most likely won't go through all the trouble to
make more.

You may visit my website at
http://www.dfwdmc.com and buy directly online via PAYAPAL.
Photos on the website if you need to know how they look.

Thanks to everyone!
- Videobob
VIN#5278

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 05:25:09 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: spark plug update

This is what I know.   The plugs are the plugs that are listed in the book as the original plugs for the car.  Everything that I have replaced on the car so far has appeared to be original to the car except for the oil sending unit and the air filter.  The cap and rotor appears to be original as the jetronic equipment was never touched.  If it ever was serviced and im wrong.... it was done a long time ago.

Im in staten island now, and have already picked up an EZ-out set at Sears.  Meanwhile the three problem plugs have been soaking in oil for over a week.

jordan
11613

Eric Itzel <eric_at_dml_seviernet.com> wrote:
Just outta curiousity, how old are those plugs? Could they be 20 years old?
I guess that could make a difference in their condition, couldn't it?

Also, you said you got 3 out of 6 plugs out- were the broken plugs common to
one side of the engine, or spread out?

Keep us posted!

Eric Itzel

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:56:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Louie Golden <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Michelin Pilot Tire Pressures

Both of my DeLoreans have run on Michelin Pilots and I run them on DeLorean reccomended tire pressures. I put about 1,000 miles a month on my current DeLorean, and haven't seen any abnormal wear on them. This is in both stop and go Charlotte traffic, along with freeway traffic. I probably put about 6k on my old DeLorean with absolute minimal wear (if any) on the tires before the car was flattened by a Cadillac. I've driven DeLoreans with everything from the original NCTs to those Yokohamas everyone was so crazed about several years ago, and I can attest the Pilots were the best riding of any tire for the DeLorean. Probably the best handling too. If you are noticing any abnormal wear with yours, go get your car checked out by an alignment shop.

If your ride is really that rough check your shock absorbers. If they're leaking oil, that could be your culprit. The old shocks are overly stiff to begin with... I remember a friend of mine had a pair of Grady upgrade shocks on the front of his car for a while before he replaced the original rears. When we'd go over an expansion joint or bridge on the freeway, the front shocks would dampen the bumps without a hitch, but when the rear wheels went over bump it would sound and feel like we hit a small animal LOL. He has since replaced the rear shocks, but it sure was positive proof of how much 20 years newer shock technology really will benefit the car.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, PRC1216_at_dml_a... wrote:
> What does everyone else have theirs set at?   It says max is 44, so
I have my

Buy and sell stocks in NFL teams! Get paid dividends every time your team wins! Free limited-time trial at http://www.AllSportsMarket.com/Index.asp?Refer=delomail

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:40:53 -0000
From: "Ken Hintz" <khintz_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 for sale

Really nice 1981 with the gas flap. VIN#2250 with less than 35,000 miles. Hard to find a
nicer, more dependable car. Runs and looks great. Near perfect black leather interior, 5-
speed manual transmission.

See: http://www.antiqueangler.com/delorean.html for complete details

E-mail link on page will reach me with any questions you have about the car.
Thanks a lot.

Ken Hintz

Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:23:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean Motor Company

They are not the same company...

See what I mean when I say they are misleading people?

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:27:38 -0000
From: "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: freeze 12

http://www.dmcnews.com/backissues/2001%20files/%5BDML%5D%20Digest%20Number%20586.html

> Geez, have I been posting for that long?
>
> In the case of Autofrost, they claim that a blend allows for higher
efficiency, but
> since a blend will not leak all of it's different molecules at the
same rate it cannot
> be "topped off".  And I agree that most shops will not touch
Freon-alternative equipped

Here's another one: http://www.duracool.com/-faq.html

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:30:25 EST
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Michelin Pilot Tire Pressures

I would like to share my findings with "all seasons" tires with the
DeLoreans.

The Michelin Pilot tires are the best tires for DeLorean that is currently on
the market.   IMO, they are the only way to go, for as they are the best and
finest tires for DeLoreans that I have used.   I do believe Michelin company
did their homework and they have did their research before they released the
Pilots as "dedicated" tires for the DeLoreans motorcars several years ago.
They knew about the fading market of tires for the DeLorean motorcars and they
took the quest to meet the "demands."   Kudos to them.

Before I go any further and for everyone's reference, I had the NCTs (they
came with the car and had 11,000 miles on them), Dunlops, Pirellis, two sets of
Yokohamas AVSs and the Pilots.

The NCTs that came with the DeLorean is old, hard and old technology.
Beside myself and a very good friend mine, we both had to change from the NCTs, for
they are mediocre in performance and they were   hard riding and they are
poor if not terrible in the rain and snow.   Maybe because they are old.

The Dunlops?   As for their working characteristics, they are mediocre.   I
didn't like them within the first one hundred miles of running.   I didn't like
them and I had them removed and replaced by the Pirellis as soon as I could.
The Dunlops that I had on my DeLorean had the same "performance"
characteristics and traits as the set that was on my older Bentley although they were
different models.   I also had them removed off the Bentley in less then a year of
ownership.   For me both models of the Dunlops were mushy with too much road
feel, they are not great in cornering and handling, especially with the
Bentley -- a very heavy car.

The Pirellis where excellent tires all around.   They are good in the rain
and in the snow.   I remember when I drove back from Alabama to NYC and it
started to snow lightly and then heavily from Virginia to the New Jersey turnpike.
 Getting close to NYC on the NJ Turnpike, there was an accumulation of three
inches of snow and the Pirellis handle it very well!   It was a "go" with very
little slip or slide.   Love them.   When I needed an another set of
Pirellis, they were no longer available, so I got the Yokos AVS.   The Pirellis are
only edged out by the Pilots.

The Yokos were good and they rode well, but they wore out very quickly.
They were mediocre in the rain, and they were terrible in the snow!  Useless!
IMO, they are the worst as tires for the DeLorean in the snow next to the NCTs.
  They couldn't even track in less then one inch of snow!   They slip and
slide away in the snow.   Now, some of you may be wondering why I had two sets of
the Yokos?   One of the reasons why I had two sets of them is because they
WERE the only tires available for sale on the market at that time and the other
reason is that the other tires, if they were available, they did not meet the
all of the DeLorean's specs.   So, when one can't select, then one has to
settle for what is available.   Personally, I can never get used to how the Yokos
look with the DeLorean's body line flow.   To me, they always IMO looks "fat."

The Michelin Pilots are presently on my DeLorean for over a year and they the
best that I have experienced with the DeLorean.   On dry road... they are
excellent!   They are also good in the rain and in the snow.   They are excellent
in ride comfort and handling.   They are smooth and soft riding and
responsive and they don't slip on one inch of snow as with the two sets of Yokos AVS.
It must be the new rubber compound and the engineering that is available
today?   The Pilots out performs the Yokohomas and they just "edges" over the
Pirellis, which I though was an excellent tire all around.

I don't like to put on snow tires for winter use and I normally don't run my
DeLorean in the snow.   Because I do use my DeLorean as a daily driver and
should it when it starts to rain or snow during my travels, I would like my
DeLorean or any vehicle I am in to be on the "go."   Hydroplaning and slipping on
less then one inch of snow is not good or acceptable for "all season" tires.

I hope my findings helps.

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:41:20 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Motor Company

I know they are not the same company, they just bought the rights to
use the name, two totally separate companies. If there is someone on
this list that doesn't know this they should research their car a
little more.

Mark

On Friday, February 13, 2004, at 05:23 PM, Marc Levy wrote:

> They are not the same company...
>
> See what I mean when I say they are misleading people?
>
> --- DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com> wrote:
>> Delorean Motor Company is now located in Texas
>> U.S.A. see
>> www.delorean.com
>>

>> Mark

> http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Come see all of my Photo's at my Website.
http://photos.yahoo.com/snextime

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:33:45 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <dmc_driver_at_dml_y...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Here's another one: http://www.duracool.com/-faq.html

This is a Hydrocarbon based refrigerant, like I mentioned earlier. HC based refrigerants
have greater cooling capacity than CFC (R-12) & HFC (R-143a), and have 0 environmental
impact acccording to studies. HC chains will break apart rather quickly when vented into
the atmosphere, so they will not break Ozone chains, nor are they a green house gas that
contributes to global warming (which R-134a is worse than R-12 at). BUT due to their
"flamability", they have been deemed unacceptable for use as a refrigerant.

HC-12 has a higher auto ignition point (heating the gas up to that temperature, before it
will combust, without the asistance of an open flame) than R-134a, and lab tests, and field
tests applications have show HC-12 to be safe so far. BUT, when atomizing (spraying in a
gaseous form) HC-12 twards on an open flame, it will catch fire, where as R-12 & R-134a
will not. And that is why HC based refrigerants are not accceptable.

Can you legally use Duracool, and other HC based refrigereants in your car? Yes, but there
are restrictions. What are the restrictions? HC-12 may ONLY be used in a system designed
to be used with R-134a! R-12 designed systems are illegal (why, I've no idea...). But, hope
is not lost, as there is a way to legally install HC-12.

You must fully convert your existing R-12 system over to R-134a type system with the
"intention" of running R-134a. Simply heading down to CSK and picking up that $40
retrofit kit, and shoving in HC-12 is ILLEGAL! 5 main requirements must be met: You must
evacuate the entire system of R-12, and mineral oil (which means changing out the
accumulator as well), installing a lubricant other than what came with the R-12 (because
R-134a doesn't use it WTF?) the installation of a compressor cut-off switch (which we
already have), the proper labeling for the system (doesn't specify if R-134a, or HC-12
must be used), and R-134a service fittings on the compressor MUST be permanently
attached. These are the requirements for a full conversion to R-134a, but there is a fuzzy
area here if you want to use Duracool, or another HC-12 refrgerant"

If you straight drop Duracool into the system at this point, then you didn't reeally intend to
convert the system over to run with R-134a, hence the conversion is considered a SHAM,
and is voided, hence illegal. Even though it does indeeed function as a complete R-134a
system. How the ACLU missed this one, I'll never know. This is the only time I've ever seen
a federal law come with a "thought crime" statute...

Aside from EPA regulations, there are certain state regulations that totally prohibit the use
of Hydrocarbon refrigerants no matter what. And the EPA also warns that storage of HC
-12 may fall underal local regulations. Although I can't possibly imagine how much
different this could possibly be as comparted to Oxygen and Acetylene which are flamable
as well.

Anywho, no matter what you use, just be aware that just because an alternative refrigerant
is fully compatable with you existing system, doesn't mean that you can just dump it in.

And federal regulations aside, if your A/C system is failing after 20 years, or if you're
considering switching refrigerants for any reason, they you really do need to consider a
good systems rebuild anyways.

Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:35:21 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Rusty Exhaust Manifold Studs

I forgot to mention that in most exhaust applications I also see the
stud is "special" in that the end that goes into the head (the
casting) is usually a course or "standard" thread and the part
sticking out that holds the exhaust manifold on is a fine thread as
are the nuts. This seems to be the best combination as fine threads
don't have as much strength in a casting but you can get more torque
on a fine thread and if they loosen you don't lose as much clamping
force as on a course thread. In general you don't remove the studs
unless you are machining the heads or you break a stud. The best
exhaust manifold gaskets I see are the metal embossed type, they seem
to hold up the best but eventually they rust, rot.

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:00:22 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Rusty Exhaust Manifold Studs

The original studs, and the new studs we get from Volvo are identical at
both ends, although one stud must be longer to mount the starter
heatshield to.

We also recommend the manifolds be faced before refitting, in fact we
keep a pair on the shelf ready to change out on a customer's car.

Gaskets should not rust as there's no iron in them.

I've heard too much about NOT using stainless in aluminium to risk
trying it, personally.

Martin