From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1876
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 11:11 AM

1. Re: SNAP!
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. DeLorean Sighting in San Diego
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: SNAP!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Conversion kit?
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

5. D that has been sitting for years...
From: "Garrett Rudkin" <agentprelude_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Electrical Question - Hazard Light Switch + Lighter
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

7. ATTN: Bob Swiatkiewicz
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

8. Re: SNAP!
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

9. Stainless Steel Men's Bracelet.
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>

10. Re: Repairable on eBay-- any more info?
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

11. I'm famous now...
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

12. Re: SNAP!
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

13. New Member
From: "Trey Brown" <treybpd3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. The Plan (was SNAP!)
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: D that has been sitting for years...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

16. Re: New Member
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. DCS Visa/Mastercard
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

18. DELOREANS IN SYDNEY
From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>

19. Another new guy
From: "Mike M" <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>

20. Re: D that has been sitting for years...
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

21. D that has been sitting for too many years...
From: MichaelRPack1_at_dml_cs.com

22. Spark plug issue resolved
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 03:29:22 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: SNAP!

I'd start out witht he same number of shims as on the other side. In
the same place. Then have it aligned at an alignment place. Get the
shims from a DeLorean place - they are unique.

Buy a new bushing before you start, you're probably going to need
that too.

It's not that hard on a lift, but if stuff is that rusted up it will
take some effort. Lots harder on an automatic.  Plan on replacing all
the small hardware too. It's a Pain to get the aluminum shield off if
it has not been removed for a while.

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:02:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean Sighting in San Diego

Sunday at 4 p.m. I was driving in San Diego on route
163 south near interstate 8 when I spotted a DeLorean
in the fast lane about 75 feet ahead of me.
Unfortunately, I couldn't catch up to it and
as almost always seems to be the case I was driving
my Toyota rather than my DeLoeran.  Just wondering if
the owner is on the list.  I called two owner that I
know in the area and it was neither of them.  My
DeLorean is currently out of commission until I figure
out why the radiator cooling fans aren't working

-Chris

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:44:55 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

There is no way to guess how many shims go in. Look around, they
shouldn't be too far. Some could be laying on the shield and you will
see them when you take it off. This is where my recomendation to write
the # of shims on the frame with a marker would come in handy. It is
also possible that they fell out a long time ago and the bolt was
bending for a while till it broke. The only problem is if it is the
one on the left side of an automatic. In that case you will have to
loosen the trailing arm at the carrier to get enough room to get the
bolt out. If it is bent and rusted in place it could take a little
work to remove it. Always best to this kind of job on both sides at
the same time so if you need an alignment you only have to do it once.
BTW how cold IS it in Florida? In New Jersey tonite it is 15 degrees!

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 05:15:54 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Conversion kit?

I have seen a few DeLoreans out there with the Ford smallblock
installed. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is any kind of
conversion kit available so the 5 speed transmission can still be
used. Thanks

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:07:20 -0000
From: "Garrett Rudkin" <agentprelude_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: D that has been sitting for years...

I apologize that this is long, I have a lot to say about my D
purchase and a new home purchase.  I'll try and be as brief as
possible, thanks in advance, it's TRULY appreciated.  I inherited
some money this year after my father passed away last year.  My
fiance and I are planning on buying our first home this spring,
furnish the house, finance a wedding and honeymoon, pay off our
college loans, and buy a Delorean, with some left over.  This is
really a blessing in disguise to get our new lives and careers
started.

I am looking at purchasing an '82 from a coworker's father-in-law at
a bank I work at.  It is an '82 with exactly 15,447 miles on it, an
automatic with gray interior.  I have seen the car and it is in very
good shape inside and out.  He has owned the car since 1985 and has
all documents on the car, and plenty of issues of Delorean World in
the car too.  It has sat in his heated garage at his business
(airplane parts machinist) with his other exotic/rare cars, '94
Viper, '87 Porsche 944, '32 and '34 Fords, etc.  He has not driven
the car in over 10 years.

I examined the car this morning and was quite impressed of what I
found.  The panels, body, and interior are in excellent shape.  The
fascias look just as new.  I have yet to examine the undercarriage
for rust.  It is still sitting on the original tires, which are
completly flat, and of course will need to be replaced.  Are there
any problems to be expected of a car sitting on flat tires for this
long?

He says before putting it in storage for the last time, he drained
all fluids, including gasoline and removed the battery.  We are going
to get together this weekend to replace the battery and replace all
fluids to see if we can get it running.  The elderly gentleman was
confident that we would get it started and wouldn't have any
suprises.  Some things that will need to be replaced off the bat is
the headliner and door struts.

Has anyone had any experiences like mine of buying a car that has
been sitting this long?  What can I expect to replace off the bat to
keep this car a reliable nice weather weekend driver?  I got a good
faith estimate on having this D serviced at DMC Houston including:
door struts, fuel system, weatherstripping, major service kit (belts,
tune, valve adjustment, etc.), relay update, hose kit w/ new
radiator, headliner.  This all comes to a cost around $3800, which
includes parts and labor.  Not too shabby, I was expecting to fork up
front $5k-$6k just to make it a reliable weekend driver.  However, my
fiance and I are now looking at buying a 3-car garage home to house
the D and our two Miatas. (DMC12)+(2MX5s)=lots of garage room.  =)
This will give me plenty of room to work on a car here and there.  Do
other car novices/intermediates work on their Deloreans?  Or do they
leave it up to a professional?  I consider myself between a novice
and intermediate wrench.  I think I would have more enjoyment of
working on my own D then letting someone else do it.  It's not so
much as a money thing to save labor cost, but learning how to do it
myself and the feeling of accomplishment.  What are your thoughts on
my situation?  How many DIY'ers at home have a lift? as I may
consider one too for this car.  Again, thank you very much for your
input and time you have put in to reading this long post.  Have a
good day,

-Garrett

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:37:22 -0000
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: Electrical Question - Hazard Light Switch + Lighter

Hi,

I'm in the process of changing out regular bulbs with LEDs.
I did the Head Light Switch yesterday, it lights up beautifully in
green illumination.

Then I changed the little bulbs in the Hazard Light Switch and
Lighter. They didn't light up at all.

What's the catch here? Fuses or a short in the wires?

Does something have to be turned on for the Hazard Light Switch and
Lighter to be illuminated?

Funny thing is - the Hazard Lights work and are blinking when the
switch is operated, same thing with Cigarette Lighter, it heats up
then pops out...so why #"(%/"? doesn't  the little lights inside
these switches light up?? Neither the regular bulbs nor the LEDs
seems to work. Are the Cigarette Lighter and Hazard Switch on the
same wire/circuit?? Where should I look for solving this problem.

Any help is much appreciated!

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:41:05 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: ATTN: Bob Swiatkiewicz

Bob,

If you're on the list, send me an private e-mail with your phone
number!  It appears you haven't been receiving the e-mail replies I've
been sending you! (jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net)

Thanks, moderators, for letting this through!

-Josh

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:25:08 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

Rich - As you have now seen, a rusty TAB can be a bad thing when left
to its own devices.  I'm glad nothing got damaged, and I hope that
your back heals okay.  In regards to the alignment shims, about all
that you can do is obtain 4 or 5 shims from a DeLorean vendor.  It is
very important that the shims be thick and hardened, or the joint
will eventually loosen and fail again as the shims deteriorate.  This
discussion was on the List a short time ago.  Alignment shops use
very thin shims that are soft, and will eventually migrate out of the
joint.  Regardless of what type of bolt you have in there, it will
eventually fail if you don't have the proper torque preload in the
joint.  As far as garages doing the work, I wouldn't say that *any*
garage can do it.  I have taken calls from some shops asking me where
to start when replacing the TAB's.  They didn't seem to have a clue
what the theory of that joint was.  There are definitely some tricks
and tips that make it a better installation.  You may want to
consider buying a new rubber bushing to have on hand when the
installation is done.  You may find that the bushing has been toasted
by the corrosion and the final failure.  We have the shims and
bushing in stock, but are still working on the next batch of TOBY-
TAB's, so I can't help you there (for right now).  Good luck with the
repairs.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 (Winged1)
DeLorean Parts Northwest

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:33:56 -0500
From: "Jeff Chabotte" <webmaster_at_dml_88-mph.com>
Subject: Stainless Steel Men's Bracelet.

Just testing the field to see if there would be any interest in a stainless steel men's bracelet with the old DMC logo (lettering style on the grill) engraved into the links. Either that, or the word's "De Lorean Motor Cars". Possibly either limited serial numbers or customized with your VIN.

No prices set as of yet, and please respond off list.

-Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT
Webmaster http://www.88-mph.com

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:21:45 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Repairable on eBay-- any more info?

Hmmm, I think Dave Stragand's car was in better shape when acquired...   :-)    See http://www.projectvixen.com.

However, I don't think any DMC is scrap.  There is value in things that can just be removed and carted off, like the panels and the wheels.

It may be possible to restore this car:

  - Get stainless frame from Bryan Pearce (http://www.pearce-design.com)
  - Put fiberglass and stainless panels on new frame
  - Get everything else from Houston DMC

But that seems like an expensive way to get a DeLorean.

I assume the DMC Owners Directory will be updated to show Sep '81 VIN#3679 as "DESTROYED".

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN #4695

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:29:22 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: I'm famous now...

Haha...just happened to be watching one of our local news channels last
night, and saw this video clip with me driving through it.  They reuse
the footage in a couple of spots, so maybe I'll become part of their
stock footage!  (haha)

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2004/local/02/15/semitrucks.html

and click on the audio/video link.

Anyway...thought that was cool.

-Josh

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:41:42 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Rich,

Yikes!

Glad you were able to avoid a collision.

I wouldn't take it to any shop that won't let you stand and watch.  NTB might be a good
choice, since they do permit customers in the service bay, and they perform alignments.
You might do well in a Lotus shop, if you can find one that does alignment work.

Good luck,

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN #4695

P.S.  Those of us who have NOT had their TABs snap would like to firstly thank the Lord,
and secondly Toby Peterson.  :-)

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:40:51 -0000
From: "Trey Brown" <treybpd3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: New Member

 Hello, my name is Trey and I'm a new member of the group.  I
finally bought my first Delorean two weeks ago and it has a few
expected problems; the speedometer is dead, as is the driver's side
door lock and window motor. Also, the brake light on the driver's
side only works occaisionally. If anyone has any advice on these
problems, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, just saying hello!

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:06:26 -0000
From: "cruznmd" <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: The Plan (was SNAP!)

The Plan?

Well, PJ Grady is overnighting a kit to get the trailing arm back
together. I joined AAA and promptly called for a tow truck which
hauled me down to the service station that did my alignment. I spoke
to the head mechanic, Dan who says he should be able to finish it by
tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. He was happy when I gave him the
manual pages and told him he didn't have to worry about ruining the
bushing because I have a new one coming with the other parts.

Game on!

Rich A.

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 04:58:16 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: D that has been sitting for years...

Expect to have to do a complete rebuild on the brake system and you
should plan on replacing ALL the belts and hoses. Make sure all the
recalls were done and talk to one of the venders about the elecrical
updates you should do. Don't even try driving on the tires, just use
them to get the car home and have them replaced as soon as you can.
You should be OK with the fuel system but you can expect to have to
clean out the tank, replace any deteriorated rubber boots and hoses,
accumulater, and fuel filter. After you get it running do a COMPLETE
service, changing the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, cap, rotor,
ignition wires, O2 sensor, and air filter. $3800 sounds cheap, I
suspect as you go along there will be some surprises. You may find the
car had some problems that were never attended to like a faulty shift
computer, worn steering rack, etc. Then there are the new problems
that will surface like torn C/V boots, oil sender leak, bent trailing
arm bolts, dirty wiring grounds, bad fuel tank sender, broken angle
drive, etc. Many of these are not expensive, just that the problems
never seem to end for a while until you get ahead of them. In many
cases a car that was sitting in storage can be worse than a car that
was moving no matter how pretty it may look. If you are working with
Houston then you are in good hands, at least you aren't in your
neighborhood garage with Gomer learning on it! Just be aware that you
should be able to afford double the initial estimate and then you will
be pleasantly surprised if it comes in lower. The first thing to buy
are the manuals if the car doesn't come with them. A lift is nice but
you can do almost anything with a GOOD floor jack, a creeper, and a
set of 4 sturdy jackstands. Join the DoD and find someone nearby to
help you. Go to dmcnews.com for the DoD and a big technical resource.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Garrett Rudkin" <agentprelude_at_dml_y...>

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 05:03:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: New Member

All of these issues have been covered to death on the list so look in
the archives. You can also go to dmcnews.com technical. Don't forget
to register on the DoD (Delorean Owner's Directory). I guess we should
have a link for newbies to go to directly for all of these common
problems. Don't worry, you will find more to fix after you think you
get these fixed!

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:22:01 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Visa/Mastercard

We have been down a few days on the credit card
but we are up and running now
sorry if any of you were inconvenienced
If you have problems let us know
this has turned out to be a real adventure

hope we have all the bugs out now

Thanks for your orders the raffle car is really taking off

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:21:26 +1100
From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>
Subject: DELOREANS IN SYDNEY

Scott,

I'm the owner of the Sydney Harris Street Museum DeLorean.  Mine was in the
museum for about 10 years as a private exibit owned by a Sydney
doctor.  The DeLorean owned by Andrew Prentis was also at the museum but
only for a short time, put there on an interim basis by its previous owner
William Junkins, an American who had brought the car with him to Australia
from the US.  William's car was placed in the museum about 18 months after
the departure of mine.  Unfortunately I do not have too much praise for the
staff of the Sydney Auto Museum as my car suffered badly from lack of
upkeep.  It lacked preventative maintenance and was in pretty poor
shape.  Suffice to say, the DeLorean was a feature attraction of the museum
and featured in many of its promotional material.   The curator was quite
disappointed to see the car go and he rang me several times over the next
two years and asked if I would consider returning it to the museum.  I said
I was willing to return the car for special occasions only but not on a
permanent basis.

I moved to Queensland last year and the DeLorean is here with me, however
there is a likelihood that the car may go back to Sydney later in the year
as my son Rick is keen to take charge of it.

Site http://www.deloreanaustralia.com was written by Rick who had put as
lot of effort into the site.  However, in 2002 Rick joined the air force
and he didn't have the time or access to a terminal to continue the site's
upkeep.  Hence it was closed-down.  I will consider re-instituting it
within the next month or so.

I'm not quite sure of the exact number of DeLoreans in Australia, but I
would say that 15 is more accurate than 20.

Lance Haslewood
Queensland
Australia

Message: 15
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:59:35 +1100
From: "Tim Ruckley" <tim_at_dml_timruckley.com>
Subject: Re: Deloreans in Sydney Australia

Scott,

The one in the Harris Street Car museum was purchased by Lance Haslewood who
is on this list.  It is vin 10599 and is a factory right hand drive model.

You used to be able to go to http://www.deloreanaustralia.com which had
useful info for Australian DeLorean owners and fans including a listing of
the known cars in Australia, but it seems that this website no longer works.
I believe there are about 15-20 DeLoreans over here scattered accros the
country.

- Tim.

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:31:02 -0500 (EST)
From: "Mike M" <kenshin_at_dml_otaku-wired.net>
Subject: Another new guy

Hi just joined yesterday.  I got my car back in November and have been
working hard to get it ready for the road when everything thaws in April.
I have a question for all of you.  What is the best way to get the color
back into the interior panels, and how do I go about removing those panels
safely?  Any advice would be helpful because I am stuck, I am afraid I
will brake them, and I don't have the money to replace them since i had to
get a torsion bar for the drivers side and a dashpad.

-Mike-

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:42:54 -0000
From: "thebrave65" <johnnysher1_at_dml_cox.net>

Garrett, I suppose it depends on how much you're buying the car for
and how much you would expect to put into it.  A Delorean that's been
sitting for 10 years it going to give you some unexpected surprises -
even if it has been stored properly.  And even that has been a debate
here on the list.

I am a novice when it comes to auto repair, but I did extensive
studies on the car and joined my local Delorean club before I
purchased mine.  Now when I perform repairs and look at different
parts I say, "Oh yeah, I remember seeing that on a website or in one
of the manuals".  The car became familiar to me long before I removed
my first stripped bolt.

In my opinoin, I think it's commendable when someone wants to bring
another Delorean back to life but that someone needs to be prepared
to feed that car.  Otherwise, you might be in for a short ownership.

Johnny

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:58:16 EST
From: MichaelRPack1_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: D that has been sitting for too many years...

Hi Garrett,

Not to worry...my former 1981 Automatic (VIN 3713) sat for 15 years in a
Georgetown/Washington, DC garage. I sent my car to PJ Grady Inc. on Long Island. I
live in Maryland. Rob Grady (an original DeLorean dealer) mechanically
restored my car to better than new condition.

 I drove the DeLorean everyday after the restoration and it never let me
down. To give you an example I am in the Real Estate industry, and I drive well
over 300 miles a day. I sold a lot of houses with that car.

I eventually shipped it back to PJ Grady for additional restoration work. The
dings & dents in the stainless were removed, interior rejuvenated, and engine
was detailed cosmetically & mechanically.  I also recommend the Zilla
electronics for the DeLorean)

It really is a great car...Thanks to everyone that gave me advice about
owning a DeLorean.

I now own a 1983 DeLorean (VIN 20069) that has been sitting for 20 years. I'm
sure that the car needs mechanical & a small amount of cosmetic restoration
to become perfect again. Not to worry, I'm planning to send it to Rob Grady.

Respectfully Yours,
Michael "Senator" Pack

1983 DeLorean
2000 BMW 740iL
Piney Orchard Maryland

PS Any vehicle (car, truck, SUV, motorcycle), new or old, that sits for an
extended period of time will fall apart faster than when driven everyday.

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 07:58:39 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Spark plug issue resolved

Thanks to all who had helped in the solving of this
situation.  I think its kinda wierd that this morning
I was at PJGrady in Long island buying parts, and on
the same day I was in Germany pulling 3 broken plugs
off of my Delorean.

Pictures have been provided at this link

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/delorean/spark_plug_nightmare.html

Jordan
11613 live & un-plugged