From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1879
Date: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 9:40 PM

1. Front Fascia
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. looking to buy........maybe!
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

3. Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. RE: Mechanics in Central Florida
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

5. RE: Inaccurate RADAR readings?
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

6. Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

7. Re: Replacement Automatic Antenna for the DeLorean
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

8. RE: Forget Cats, The Big Threat To Car Covers Is Squirrels
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Replacement Automatic Antenna for the DeLorean
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. DWC (Delorean Welding Center) open for business
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

11. Re: D that has been sitting for years...
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

12. Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Front Fascia
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

14. Re: Front Fascia
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

15. Cutting keys at the show?
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>

16. Delorean Mechanics in Alabama?
From: "Trey Brown" <treybpd3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. stuck driver side door
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: DWC (Delorean Welding Center) open for business
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

19. Re: looking to buy........maybe!
From: DeLorean5000_at_dml_comcast.net

20. RE: Mechanics in Central Florida
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Replacement Automatic Antenna for the DeLorean
From: "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>

22. Subject: Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

23. RE: Inaccurate RADAR readings?
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

24. The battle:Frame rust
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

25. My first drive in my Delorean
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:27:37 -0500
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Front Fascia

Any recommendations on a GOOD set of instructions for removing the front
fascia?? I have the workshop manual, but it says nothing about how you're
supposed to bend the sides far enough forward to get to the bolts loose (I
also looked on DMC-News but that was more about reinforcing them) Any
tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan, I think this is a good how-to topic....

Dom

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:05:51 -0500
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: looking to buy........maybe!

I used my '83 DeLorean as part of a trade show display for a 3 day promotional products convention in Toronto which ended yesterday. The booth was popular, and well attended, due to the car. Many came to my booth and the comments were interesting. Alot of  people discussed the car and many were misinformed. Some of the comments I heard:
               it was a Bricklin,
               the motor was a Ford,
               it was aluminum bodied,
               JZD was dead,
               JZD was in jail for life,
               that the car was stiill being made,
               that it was really fast and could hit 175 mph (my speedo reads 240 kph)
               one guy argued that he had owned one, and it was a Bricklin, and I was stupid and I did not know anything about the car!

One fellow exhibitor showed interest in buying  my car. ( I have already had 2 other ones, which I have sold). I have been telling him for years how cool these cars are when they are mechanically proper and looked after. He had never paid any attention to them nor had seen one up close. He sat in mine, and is hooked! I sell them after upgrading and driving them for several years. Usually I break even on the sell, not making much, if any profit at all. This one is the best driver I have had. After selling, I look around but cannot find anything else in the price range to compare with the fun and ownership of this marque, so I get another one to the amazement of my friends.

If I do sell, who has the best car for sale, for the best price? ( in North America, please) I want an upgraded daily driver that looks like a trailer queen. No cracked dashes, leakers, split binnicles, ripped seats, in need of electrical work, broken window motors, non functioning door solenoids, lousy relays, dirty & unkept cars, etc.,  need apply!

By the way, I turned on the battery switch - the car has sat since Oct - it fired immediately - no "searching", warmed up a little in about 10 minutes,  backed it out of its heated garage, and drove it over 300 miles round trip.

To those that complain about the reliability of a DeLorean - there are no problems when it's maintained  and cared for properly, the 1st time!

Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:47:15 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?

In a message dated 2/18/2004 9:18:28 AM Eastern Standard Time, rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com writes:

> Excuse me for saying this but I've been a passenger with Ken "(I don't speed
> anymore)" Koncelik driving and I beg to differ! Keep your hot gold plated
> Passport ON Ken and maybe you'll get to keep your license
> :-). Ken drives
> like he does everything else.....FAST!

LOL
how can you say that
I have not had a ticket in over 4 years.

Speed limit is 88mph right

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:49:09 -0500
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Mechanics in Central Florida

This post reminded me that Debby and I will be in Miami the weekend of April
9th ("Spring Break") and wonder if a group of local "D" owners would like to
get together for some sort of "tech." meeting. I would prefer to meet near
Miami but would consider as far as Orlando if time and enough interest
permits it. E-mail us privately at rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com if anyone is interested.

Robert Grady

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:11:02 -0500
From: "PJ Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Kayo,

The place is OK but I wouldn't call it a "Palace" :-}.

Rob

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:01:57 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Tony Pistachio <TheStash_at_dml_o...> wrote:
> Can the stainless steel and/or shape of the DeLorean give
inaccurate RADAR readings?
<SNIP>

Like everyone else says, the car itself will not affect radar
readings. But I can tell you from experience that the low profile of
the DeLorean will make it a bit harder to hit from front to back.
Andy had mentioned those automated radar "kiosks" that they place in
construction zones, and will display your speed. When I used to live
up on the north side of town, the area was under mass development, so
they would leave these things out on the newly built roads. So when I
first got my D, I was heading out late night to experiment with them,
to see how my D would fair against radar detection. Needless to say,
the DeLorean needed half the distance of my full size truck, and my
subcompact hyundai to get tagged. This was both on the approach, and
depature away from those things. As for the side profile, I never got
to try that one, but I would imagine that the DeLorean fairs no
different there.

You didn't say wheather or not you recieved a ticket from the cop.
But if you did, I can tell you that your best bet is to find yourself
a local attorney who can take care of it for you. Pleading guilty can
make trouble for you later, if you ever get into a major accident,
and while nolo contendre, and taking traffic school can get the
points off your license, they will NOT hide the incident from your
insurance company. Apparently the state maintains a seperate list for
traffic violations that it maintains for it's insurance verification
program, that the insurance companies use to check up on you. I
learned this the hard way. If an attorney takes care of this for you,
they'll knock the tickets down to non-moving violations. Although
they will give you a gang load of parking tickets, until the dollar
amount equals the bail amount on your original ticket. But this way,
by the time the states records get wind of your infraction, they only
see parking tickets, and don't bother to notify your insurance
company.

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:02:31 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Replacement Automatic Antenna for the DeLorean

I see them on EBay for sale, this is the seller thats been selling them
for a while now...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10076&item=2459818717

I also see you have put them on EBay now....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42606&item=2461326815

Mark

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:45:47 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Forget Cats, The Big Threat To Car Covers Is Squirrels

My brother-in-law uses a Chinese pellet gun. Quite effective.   I understand
they make a good stew.      Drive Stainless   Shoot Straight      Robert
VIN 6924

From: "content22207" <brobertson_at_dml_carolina.net>
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:52:49 -0000

For those of use who live under car covers:

In the past few days I've lost two car covers. I thought a cat was
getting on them and tearing them with its claws. Imagine my horror
this morning when I saw a squirrel

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:11:40 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

You can get a S/S replacement mast for the Harada antennae too. I
happen to like it in black. The replacement goes for around $25-30 and
you can get it in most radio shops. If you need one in S/S I can sell
you a used one.
David Teitelbaum

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:42:20 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: DWC (Delorean Welding Center) open for business

A whole lot of rusted and damaged Delorean frames (and owners)
will be getting a whole lot happier soon.  Here's why.

DWC (Delorean Welding Center) is now open for business.  This
is a joint venture between myself and Steve Stump, the master
welder from the Monster Garage Avenger GT40 Rock Crawler build.
We are teaming up to repair rusted and damaged Delorean frames
so that more Deloreans can get back on the road, to be seen
and to be driven (more safely), which makes us all happier.

The idea has been lurking around in my head for several years
and now all the components have come together to make it happen.
For full details on our services, please consult the latest copy
of GullWing Magazine for our half page ad.

In short, DWC can repair your rusted or damaged frame, in most
cases, or we can sell you a refurbished Delorean frame outright.
>From front crumple tube replacements, to engine cradle repairs,
DWC can get most Delorean frames refurbished within a few weeks.

DWC has a full size frame jig that holds the frame dimensions
during extensive repairs, including full section replacements.
Door to door pickup and delivery is available at an additional
cost, eliminating third party crating and long delivery delays.

If you have any custom welding needs and you need someone to
do the job, DWC should be your first choice.  DWC will also be
offering other products in the near future, such as custom built
Delorean transport trailers, hitches, etc.

Feel free to contact me with all your Delorean welding needs.
Please include the letters "DWC" in your email, so I can find
all the DWC related email more quickly.  For now, please use
my office email address, Rich (at) outernet-tech.net.

I will be posting more details about DWC on my website soon,
so be sure to check out  www.DeloreanMotorCars.com in March.

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 02:03:24 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: D that has been sitting for years...

If you want it come and get it. Chicago area. Contact me off-list.

The big problem is that there is ***absolutely*** no market for it.
Everyone parting out a non-wrecked car ends up with one. Unless the
car was severely crashed (like this one - a rollover) the tub is
practically indestructible. I can't think of anyone that would
rebuild a car with a pieced together tub when perfect ones are easily
available.

BTW - the roof cage is bent, and a section of the firewall was
removed to fix the other car. This particular car ran a considerable
distance on the roof.

c=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/lst%3f%26.dir=/%26.src=gr%
26.view=t

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:20:29 EST
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

Rob:

Typo... My brains are play tricks on me...... It must be the "no sleep
syndrome" when I wrote the post.

Kayo

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:55:21 -0500
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: Re: Front Fascia

Hi Dom,

We'll be publishing an article of the process in our next issue of DCS
Magazine, along with pictures.  This issue comes out in April.

In the meantime...carefully prying the fascia off from the sides with a
long flat screwdriver will allow them to stretch far enough, to get the
mounting studs past the holes...if you don't have the nylock nuts off
yet though, that's a different story.  I'll let Ken or one of the other
experts chime in if that's your situation.

Take care,
Josh

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:19:46 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

the top two bolts are not on all models
While the are a pain I just use a big flat screwdriver and pry it off
Getting it back on I just pull it on
The front facias tend to be quite plyable

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:02:21 -0000
From: "Stephen Card" <stephen_at_dml_procomroofing.com>
Subject: Cutting keys at the show?

Will anyone be cutting/copying keys at the show in June?
Thanks,
Stephen

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:59:50 -0000
From: "Trey Brown" <treybpd3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean Mechanics in Alabama?

Are there any reputable places in Alabama (specifically Birmingham
area) that work on Deloreans?

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:28:18 EST
From: FREDRAVAS_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: stuck driver side door

help!!!! my driver side door about a year ago was giving me problem sometimes
it would open sometimes it wont, the power door lock would just go on
clicking back and forth for no apparent reason, many times i had to climbed to pass
side just to get out of the car.anyway what i did was disconnect the power lock
and leave it like that just manual. everything was ok after that., i just
lock it manually and unlocked the pax side by reaching over and open it if
someone is to ride with me. ok now i can live with that no problem then one day i
replaced the power window motor everything was cool, but then after i replaced
the motor i closed the door so i can test the window to up and down, everything
was ok, i got out of car closed the door so i can clean up and rest for a
while. when i try to open the door it would only open just a bit feels like it
was hanging up on both latches no matter what i do icannot open it, i had to
crawl on other side onmy belly to  pull the both rods and have my wife try the
door handle . this went on and on for a while until i got so frustrated and mad
that i kicked the door shut to maybe it will shake anything  and it would some
miracle open the door . lo and behold the door is now completely shut and it
wont even move at all., so i just crawl back in start it up and parked it off
my driveway where its been there since last june 2003.
 so anybody got  an idea please help the car runs real well except for that
problem.
thanx everyone! fast freddy vin #6048

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:57:23 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: DWC (Delorean Welding Center) open for business

Rich,

This is great news for all D owners. Anything that keeps D s on the road
is important.

BOB

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:18:22 +0000
From: DeLorean5000_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: looking to buy........maybe!

Don't you just love the people that know more about your own car than you do!  That never ceases to amaze me, but it is always a good laugh.  As far as selling to buy it sounds like you should just keep what you have.  The type of car you are searching for are the types of cars people don't sell(that being a fully updated and drivable car that looks like a trailer queen).  The "cream of the crop" cars don't exchange hands very often b/c the owners who are fortunate enough to have them don't sell them, e.g. they don't have to.  Also, by your description, you already have a nice one, so why sell it?  I just can't follow that logic.  I know I would never sell mine, no matter what, b/c I could never find a better one to replace it.  Why not just help the guy who wants to buy one to find one?  Or better yet, buy a refurb from a vendor with warranty and all?  Just a few thoughts.

Regards,
Darren Decker

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:24:44 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thats funny, Ill be back in the states in Orlando
around the first week of april, actually closer to
leesburg but only 15minoff

jordan
11613

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:44:15 +0100
From: "Tom" <tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net>

Hello All

Well, instead of spending a lot of time trying to find a product I would
sugest checking eBay auctions and other vendors first! I've been selling the
same antennas on eBay for a long time now, and for a lower price. The are
great, I have one of them on my car and I've never had any complaints from
people that got them from me. They do look very nice being made out of
stainless...
Here's the link to my auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2459818717

I'm just letting everyone know that they have a choice.

Take care,
Tom Niemczewski
tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net

From: "Robert Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:13:51 -0500
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Subject: Re: Inaccurate RADAR readings?

Before this thread starts to go off topic as it always does when it comes up once a year with cop stories and "Cop Ego is probably the #1 problem" remarks as Andy stated, let me say as a law enforcement officer that the DeLorean is no different than any other car.  I have had mine targeted quite accurately on every type of radar including laser.  Radar reads objects and there are factors but the unless you are on a bicycle on the highway it isnt releveant.  I think there are many posts in the archives about this.  Also I know there are quite a few law enforcement officers on this list that have talked about this topic in the past.  Again I am sure the moderators will kill the thread before we digress into a "When I got pulled over thread....", or more "Cop ego" remarks.

Gary

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:30:30 -0500
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

I think you would hard pressed to find a better answer to this topic than the one Ken states below.  On both the radar and officer observations.

Gary

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 02:48:34 -0000
From: "TalksToGod" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: The battle:Frame rust

It seems no matter how many times I fix my frame-the area I fix will
start to rust again in no time. I've used numerous primers, paints,
rust converters (which are a joke), undercoatings, I've even seen
spray epoxy but have not yet tried that stuff (I guess how it failed
initially on the DeLorean frame keeps me from trying it). Does anybody
know the best way to preserve the bare metal and keep it from rusting
for a legnth of years instead of a legnth of weeks? Perhaps the DWC can
help me in this area?

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:32:05 -0800
From: "Roland Smith" <roland_at_dml_dnai.com>
Subject: My first drive in my Delorean

I picked up my new to me Delorean 6667, today, and drove it home from San
Bruno to Oakland, California.

It seems to have a great engine.  The automatic transmission shifts quite
abruptly.  I may need to have it adjusted.

My friend, following me home, said I was traveling 80mph on the freeway,
but, the Speedometer was showing 60-65 mph.

Since, the speedometer will have to have service, I am wondering weather
their is another face available showing more than 85mph and accompanying
gears for a recalibration?

Please advise.

Roland Smith
6667